We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Chemical [Temperature Based] Storage Question Options

DMT Hotpockets
#1 Posted : 7/17/2019 3:39:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dear Fellow Nexians,

I am almost ready to perform my first extraction. I have a bit of a niche question though. I bought my required solvents, VMP Naphtha, but am concerned how it says on the side of the bottle "store at temperatures under 90*F."

I do not own an AC, just a simple fan as our summers are usually mild and short. Though this weekend temperatures are looking to be 84, then up to 90 (uh oh), then down to 88 and then back to weather in the 70's. Needless to say, doesn't really fill me with positive vibes.

I am not worried that it will explode, I think if that was the case we would hear of a lot of exploding garages on the news. On the can it says it may leak or swell if in inadequate temperatures, I feel like the can has in the last few days swelled slightly, but I have made sure to keep my fan blowing directly on the cans.

If worse comes to worse, I could always just toss the cans and purchase new ones. Though that would be a waste of money and may be sketchy buying new cans so quickly from my local hardware store.

Peaceful regards,
DMT Hotpockets

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DMT Hotpockets
#2 Posted : 7/17/2019 3:41:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry, I do not think I made my question very clear: does anyone have any recommendations and past experience dealing with chemical storage in summer conditions?

twitchy
#3 Posted : 7/17/2019 3:47:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just don't leave them in a hot car or out in the sun and I think you'll be alright. If you're worried about it, just bleed the pressure off every now and by briefly opening the cap. I'm pretty sure the solvent won't degrade because of a hot summer.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Brennendes Wasser
#4 Posted : 7/17/2019 10:14:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

This seems to be more of a bureaucracy thing. Your Naphtha can easily withstand this, there may be some pressure build up, but only to a certain degree and if you dont heat it to 100 °C in a shut container nothing will explode - from chemical view it will not degrade - just dont place it directly in the sun in a metal or glass container where it can heat up endlessly.