We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Help! - THH Reduction from Harmala Mix - problem Options

merkin
#1 Posted : 7/12/2019 8:21:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello.

I added just under 200ml vinegar (5%) to what I thought was a pretty clean 8.5g Harmala Mix made from Rue to dissolve and begin stirring. Then this happened: (see pic) whole bunch of yellow froth surged up! I am assuming this was due to base contamination present in the harmala mix? It was some time ago that the mix was made but I think NaOH was used as the base.

Am I screwed or can I recover from this somehow? The froth seems to be dissipating slowly.

(Following Gordotek video)

Thanks!

*edit: froth is pretty much all gone now (stirrer is on), mixture pH is 4.75
merkin attached the following image(s):
IMG_8981.JPG (150kb) downloaded 86 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 7/12/2019 3:07:50 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Your surplus NaOH has absorbed CO2 from the air, thereby converting it to a carbonate:

NaOH + CO2 -> NaHCO3

hence the fizzing. Good that you had a tall enough beaker!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

merkin
#3 Posted : 7/12/2019 6:03:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh yeah! I panicked for a bit (it got almost up to the spout) and was very dense foam in the beginning.

So I let it settle, added some more vinegar to get the pH down to 4-ish then filtered three times and kinda started the end of the original extraction step again - but adding Sodium Carbonate this time to base it to pH 10. Now waiting for it to precipitate and then wash with DH2O I guess to get the pH down again. Or is washing with 3% ammonia better?

Hope that was the right action?

Then when its dry I can start over with the zinc reduction and hopefully no more fizz because it should be a lot cleaner now.

I don't need to go through manske again do I? It was done 5 times originally.

blue.magic
#4 Posted : 7/17/2019 1:32:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Washing with ammonia is better because there is less chance a tiny bit of your product redissolving in the water.

I don't think Manske is needed, but I would at least redissolve the powder in acetic acid, filter and re-precipitate with ammonia. This way you will remove metal impurities that might have been trapped during the 1st precipitation.