CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1415161718NEXT»
Bouncing Bear raided Options

polytrip
#301 Posted : 2/19/2010 6:00:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Entropymancer wrote:
amor_fati wrote:
This is no isolated incident, the feds have made their position clear: They want to bring the war to the entheogenic community.

I'm confused, did I miss some breaking news? Last time I looked, the feds hadn't made their position clear... in fact, they haven't weighed in on the issue at all. The FDA has shown that they are interested in controlling plant materials laced with indolealkylamine cannabinoid agonist drugs (like the K2 they seized from BBB), but they haven't "brought war" to the people who use these products (who generally are more likely to fall into the category of drug-test-dodging parolees than entheogen users). But they haven't charged anyone with possessing these things. The FDA had no intention of charging BBB, nor do they currently have the legal authority to do so. All they can do is seize the materials.

The attack on the entheogen community here has come from Kansas state law enforcement. They are the ones who seized the scheduled plant materials and arrested Jon Sloan on felony manufacture/distribution charges.

The federal authorities have nothing to do with this arrest as far as I'm aware, and I take that as a good omen. The DEA has been well-aware of DMT extractions from MHRB (and other plants) for years, and they've been entirely satisfied to ignore us and focus on other drugs that are more in the public eye. They may continue to take this stance, and leave it up to individual states to decide if they wish to pursue legal action against the distribution of such plants. But unless you've seen some information that I have not, the feds haven't taken any position on this issue, either for or against the entheogenic community.

OnthePath wrote:
Just a question here that perhaps some of my Stateside comrades can answer...What is the legal status of Jimson weed down south?

A quick search of the DEA website indicates that atropine/scopolamine/hyoscyamine are not in the first three schedules... in other words, Jimson weed is legal. I would guess some states have it listed as a "noxious weed", meaning it's a misdemeanor to deliberately propagate the plant, but simple possession is not illegal.

Quote:
What if the climate of North America was more suited to have Chacruna, MH or Caapi vines growing in the field in the back yard - what then would be the argument for making these illegal?

The arguments for these plants being legal has nothing to do with the suitability of the climate. The only issue is whether the plant in question contains scheduled drugs. If it does, then it's illegal. The way the law deals with the fact that some illegal plants (like san pedro, morning glories, Phalaris grass, and Illinois bundleflower) grow ubiquitously (and sometimes even on government property) is that there is no legal liability if the owner is unaware that there are scheduled drugs naturally occurring in the plants.

You mention psilocybian mushrooms, which are a great example. They're absolutely illegal to possess, but no landowner is going to be charged simply because they grow on his property. Even someone hunting for edible mushrooms who happens to pick a psilocybin-containing mushroom is not doing anything illegal if he did not realize what it was. But anyone who is aware that a particular mushroom (or plant) contains a scheduled drug can be charged for being in possession of it.

It's a funny law that punishes knowledge (and limits the legal gardening options of the well-informed citizen). But this interpretation has been supported by dozens of court cases, and the constitutionality of it has been implicitly upheld by the Supreme Court, so violating the law simply because it's absurd is dangerous ground to tread on... as BBB found out.

This means that it is legal to extract jungle spice from mimosa as long as we don't exactly know what substance it is, and you throw away the separated DMT.
The same aplies to the mysterious substance in calamus 69ron has been bioassaying.

So i guess it's better for us of no-one further researched these chemicalsConfused

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

amor_fati
#302 Posted : 2/19/2010 6:57:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I hope you're right, Entropymancer. I hope that FDA involvement in this is just a fluke that we can chalk up to the K2 issue. You are right that I've exaggerated the feds' involvement in this, given what we know thus-far, and that Kansas state law is the current issue in this case. I just can't help but think that the FDA's involvement in aiding the state in obtaining these charges is a bad sign of things to come.

Touche Guevara
#303 Posted : 2/19/2010 8:55:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

amor_fati wrote:
I hope you're right, Entropymancer. I hope that FDA involvement in this is just a fluke that we can chalk up to the K2 issue. You are right that I've exaggerated the feds' involvement in this, given what we know thus-far, and that Kansas state law is the current issue in this case. I just can't help but think that the FDA's involvement in aiding the state in obtaining these charges is a bad sign of things to come.

Maybe. BBB was flaunting their illegal operation though, which is bad for everyone. The feds need to be viewed as though they are uniformly applying law, and suppliers need to be viewed as non-complicit in supplying entheogens.

acolon_5
#304 Posted : 2/19/2010 9:32:11 PM

The Great Namah

1) I urge you all to donate via BBB website
2) please do not ask people involved in the case to discuss strategy...that's like giving the other team your playbook, not smart.
3) I don't care if TheGuy isn't Jon's dad. He is helping BBB. The address he gave for donations matches the one on BBB website...what's the issue?

Here is the link directly from the Bouncing Bear website.

Please donate if you can:

http://www.savejon.org/

Or you can just hop on paypal and donate to jonsdefense@yahoo.com
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Kisper
#305 Posted : 2/22/2010 4:51:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
From savejon.org

Lysergic Acid Amide: We didn't even know what this was. But, after googling we discovered it is in Morning Glory Seeds. The kind your grandmother plants in her garden. Evidently possession of Morning Glory Seeds available in just about every garden center in the country and growing in just about every neighborhood in the country is now illegal. Not only illegal, but considered “manufacturing”.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe for one second that he was oblivious to this.
Isn't role-playing fun?

Crystalito
#306 Posted : 2/22/2010 8:49:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thats the thing Kisper, those matters cannot be discussed sincerely and without propably affecting the legal case while it is in full development.

Think of the legal system (especially when things go to court) as a rhetoric battle that has its rules and each speaker -speaking for or against a person/idea- will try to play some cards, and the other part will try to negate them. An interesting example is this : I dont know of international law but in my country addicts receive less severe punisment -and sometimes may alltogether prove innocent- than people who are dealing or who are not addicts, on the basis that the addict "cannot help it, and needs more help and less punishment". So the usual scenario when someone is arrested with weed, is for the lawyer to support in a court of law that his client is an ADDICT and hence support that the amount found is for personal use and hope things go smoothly and his client receives the smallest possible legal reprecussions. Now, the client supports also that ,because he/she goes in the court of law scared and threatened by the forthcoming punishment so he/she tries to minimise it.If you were an alien that visited our planet and had a look at court papers you will think that this "weed thing" turns you into an addicted fiend from all the cases of "addicted to weed" you would see,imagining that if you smoke it once you will be craving it and you will not be able to live without it,that you will become "sick for it" in a sense. Now, who in here will support the above view,that weed is akin to "heroin",with withdrawals leaving you sweating and not able to function so once you smoke it you NEED it? Well, people would start laughing because they know its not exactly like this ,is it, and also such a view slanders weed and can be considered nasty propaganda. BUT! If while this man arrested for weed is on trial, you go in the courtroom and state the view that weed is not addicting in that sense or make him aknowledge it, you ruined his case! Most lawyers and clients will not form a defence on CHALLENGING an established law because that is very difficult and needs to go to higher courts,whereas using an already known/played "defence card" will get their client of the hook easier and its a more surefire way.

For example in my country illegal drugs are defined as drugs that are "CNS active have no medical use and are addictive".If one is arrested with lets say psilocybin or cannabis the laywer could:

a)Challenge the definition of the law: That they can and do have medical use ("pubmeding the judge"Pleased and also challenge the definition of addictive.
b)Call on the laws for softer treatment of addicts,supplementing propably with prior lawfull life of the client.

Given the circumstances the lawyer can also try other lines of defence, for example what seperates the gardening grandma from the teenager caught with morning glory seeds is intent of use and knowledge.Of the above which is easier to defend? B is usually the easiest in my country,has scored "wins" legal wise and of course most clients also ask for it rather than going in a huge legal battle following line of defence in A.

Of course ,and here comes the interesting part, since future court cases are based on past decisions (hence you can "call them" in a court) under the rational that the court can interprete the law (not change it, at least not lower courts) it would be in a "psychedelic's longterm interest" to go with A, challenge the law,try to change it. What if it fails though ,here you would need very strong lawyers,the appropriate climate (social political) for a law change and having loads of luck having an at least somewhat considering/thoughtfull judge to try the case.Also is one willing to sacrifice himself/herself in such an uphill battle using a very risky line of defence? Prison is not exactly the prettiest place in the world, and "Get out of jail FREE" cards are not lying in the bathroom floor to grab one when you are trying to reach for the slippery soap...

A rather notable case on challenging the law is that of Casey Hardison ,thumbs up for the courage and putting his head on the line (i dont know also if during further trials he tried to change his line of defence when his defence was not working).His attitude though is rather relevant to this thread : http://www.freecasey.org/

Quote:
"Casey acted as his own lawyer during his trial and, instead of arguing he did not commit the alleged acts, he argued that, as long as he harmed no one, he had the human right to engage in his chosen entheogenic praxis. In essence, Casey challenged the drug laws as a discriminatory affront to Cognitive Liberty, therapeutic choice and free religion.

The trial judge rejected these human rights arguments and an eight-week trial ensued after which Casey was convicted in March 2005 and sentenced to 20 years imprisonment in April 2005. On appeal, Casey submitted substantially similar human rights arguments but these were rejected and his conviction and sentence were upheld in May 2006.

Casey then submitted his human rights arguments simultaneously to the European Court of Human Rights and to the House of Lords, the highest court of appeal in the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, these appeals, though capturing the spirit of his perceived injustice, were not viewed as proper legal arguments by the courts but rather as an attack on Government drug policy.

Free CaseyThis prompted Casey to delve deeper into law, shed in some respects his egoic attachments, righteousness and arrogance, integrate his insights and present the core legal arguments with minimal obfuscation by his upsets.

As a result of this paradigm shift Casey now views his legal arguments through the lens of equal rights and equal protection, recognizing that a fair balance has not been struck between the public's right to protection and the individual's right to autonomy."

Hard uphill battle eh?

OnthePath
#307 Posted : 2/22/2010 7:04:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Entropymancer wrote:
[
It's a funny law that punishes knowledge

I believe the roots of this statement run deeper than at first we see.

ohayoco
#308 Posted : 2/28/2010 4:56:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Crystalito wrote:
http://www.freecasey.org/

I'd never heard of this guy before... and he is now my hero.

I hope one day there will be statues in the streets in his honour, and that he will be free to sit beneath them.
I hope they melt down all those bronzes of murdering colonialists to make the statues of Saint Casey.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

turtleman29
#309 Posted : 3/1/2010 3:42:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

He's become one of my heros too this guy walks the walk, read his ten year spiritual journey, I loved it. I hope somehow he can be released early, this dude in prison is a travesty for humanity as a whole.
Anything posted by this member should be treated as the hypothetical ideas of a crazed turtle/man and should not be taken seriously, ever.

Quote:
The cost of sanity, in this society, is a certain level of alienation.

Terence McKenna

Crystalito
#310 Posted : 3/1/2010 9:07:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, i dont know if Casey is a saint or not, but his line of defence was a refreshing tone in a "law world" where everyone follows the much treaded path. I, for one, support that if one was to possess or manufacture for his own consumption not harming others (if consumption can be defined as harm) then a man/woman should do as he/she pleases and not receiving "multiple of decades" prison sentences.

Most people though dont see it this way ,when it comes to psychoactives. It was rather interesting what the judge said while he was convicting him , pay attention to the wording : ""You are a highly intelligent, articulate and talented man. Tragically you have used those talents for illegal purposes. You have strong personal beliefs that hallucinogenic drugs which alter the human mind are not harmful. The public and governments of civilised modern democracies take a different view.". Especially the last sentence is one that raises an eyebrow...But i think the judge truly believed he was putting behind bars "a real criminal" (real in the sense of harmful for the general public).Apart from that i do not know if casey was involved in sale/distribution.Sometimes its easier to sympathise with those who do not.

ohayoco
#311 Posted : 3/6/2010 3:43:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I dn't care even if he was selling LSD, that doesn't make him a bad person. Selling drugs cut with nasty crap to increase profits would make him a bad person, but I haven't heard about him doing that. You just can't tell if this guy is nice or not unless you meet him or hear of some evil deed he's done.

I can't believe they're being so harsh on him. I am ashamed of them.

I do think making himself look a little less freaky would help him, he probably scares the socks off those upper middle class farts doling out his sentencing. Not that his appearance should matter, it shouldn't... but it does. Poor guy. Crazy to think he's getting the same time as Nick Sands got so many years ago. Shameful.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Crystalito
#312 Posted : 3/7/2010 2:35:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry, i agree,personally i would have hired a lawyer. Not that i havent got "faith" in me being able with words, but a lawyer is usually able with words, knows the legal system plus has some experience on the matter.

I wonder though up to what extent the law can be challenged on such cases.Realistically, i cannot see it happening succesfully in an extent that most forum members would be happy with...

That damned legal tango...The priority is avoiding it ,than dancing to it however skillfully one can dance... Pleased

benzyme
#313 Posted : 3/7/2010 3:03:29 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yeah

law is not science
ambiguities galore
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Entropymancer
#314 Posted : 3/8/2010 10:17:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Anyone have any idea when the post-indictment arraignment is set for? (That's when Jon will have to enter his plea) I don't want to miss any developments in this case.

I asked TheGuy but he didn't respond... I think he distrusts me simply because I pointed out that under the law (based on an ample body of legal precedent), the plants in question are illegal unless you're unaware of their chemical composition.

acolon_5
#315 Posted : 3/9/2010 2:27:14 PM

The Great Namah

^ no offence my friend. But if my son was in jail for selling plants found at WalMart I'd be upset at someone telling me that, in effect, he was justly arrested.

That being said, the law is what it is, for now. The problem in getting laws like this changed are that it requires an ungodly amount of money. Money that the average joe, or even average joe's club dosesn't have.

In ANY case, no matter what retarded laws are on the books, he needs to get off. Any way possilbe, this guy needs to not have even 1 of those charges stick.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Entropymancer
#316 Posted : 3/9/2010 3:01:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

acolon_5 wrote:
^ no offence my friend. But if my son was in jail for selling plants found at WalMart I'd be upset at someone telling me that, in effect, he was justly arrested.

Consider this analogy: Say your son is in the habit of driving 120 mph down a freeway with a 75 mph speed limit. He's a good driver, not endangering anyone, but every day he cruises along going 120 mph. When he inevitably gets a ticket, should you be upset simply because people who only exceed the speed limit by 1 or 2 mph don't get tickets?

The key difference in this case is that Walmart doesn't know the seeds contain ergine. And it's not like this is mysterious new information. If you make a business based on selling plants that contain controlled substances, it seems to me that you owe it to yourself to check out the laws on the subject... otherwise you can expect it'll come back to bite you in the ass sooner or later. If Jon had bothered to read the federal Controlled Substances Act or the Kansas State laws on the subject, he'd have realized that what he was doing was technically illegal. And if he'd probed the records of how the law has been applied, or just asked a lawyer specializing in this area of the law, he'd have found out that it's all about scienter, and taken steps to cover himself (like not producing a video on how his products are used as psychoactive drugs, and not opening a forum for customers to get advice about how to use them:rollSmile. Considering some of his products are sold at Walmart, he probably could have received a legal dispensation to sell the types of products he did if he had reached out to the relevant state and federal authorities.

Yeah, it really really sucks that he was arrested for plants that ought to be legal... but how in the world did he not see this coming and take some steps to prepare for it?

Quote:
In ANY case, no matter what retarded laws are on the books, he needs to get off. Any way possilbe, this guy needs to not have even 1 of those charges stick.

Agree, 100%

amor_fati
#317 Posted : 3/9/2010 4:02:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Entropymancer wrote:
Consider this analogy: Say your son is in the habit of driving 120 mph down a freeway with a 75 mph speed limit. He's a good driver, not endangering anyone, but every day he cruises along going 120 mph. When he inevitably gets a ticket, should you be upset simply because people who only exceed the speed limit by 1 or 2 mph don't get tickets?

I see your point, but this isn't a fair analogy, considering that speeding like that would be an incredibly dangerous activity, whereas speeding up to 5mph over the limit is reasonably safe and common. The point being that speed limits are in place for very good reasons with legitimate concern for public well-being. I hardly consider prohibition to be a comparable policy.

Entropymancer
#318 Posted : 3/9/2010 4:13:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wasn't in any way trying to compare the justification of speed limits with prohibition (you'll notice that in my hypothetical analogy, I postulate that the person is able to speed that much without endangering anyone). The point of the analogy was the difference in the degree to which the law is being broken. No one cares about speeding by a couple mph, even though it is technically illegal as the speed limit is being exceeded. But when someone is blatantly flouting the law to a degree that inevitably attracts attention, they shouldn't be terribly surprised by the consequences.

Walmart and 99% of their customers could never be convicted for possessing morning glory seeds because they don't realize it's illegal, so the authorities don't bother... but when someone is selling a boatload of plants containing controlled substances and is clearly aware of their psychoactive effects (and by extension, the fact that they contain scheduled drugs), they can be successfully prosecuted (if the case histories regarding psilocybian mushrooms are any indication) and sooner or later someone is going to take notice.

Like I said, it really sucks he was arrested for something that ought to be legal. I don't support prohibition in any way... but that doesn't mean I'm going to extract DMT next door to a police station.

Entropymancer
#319 Posted : 4/7/2010 5:13:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So according to Jon, the charges are being dismissed: http://www.dancingbearbo...index.php?topic=1451.150

No indication yet whether the court dismissed them, or if the DA dropped them. It'll be interesting to hear the details.

I'm not familiar with Kansas's drug tax laws specifically, but if it's like other drug tax laws, he still won't be getting his money back unless he countersues though... so I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the coming weeks.

Still, this is very good news that firm precedent won't be set on the matter, since it did not go to trial. Depending on the nature of the charges being dismissed, this could potentially be good news for the legal status of entheogenic plants that contain controlled substances in the US.

Touche Guevara
#320 Posted : 4/7/2010 5:33:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So BBB has an incredible expense and hassle for being dummies, and no unfortunate legal precedent is set? Seems like a best case scenario.

«PREV1415161718NEXT»