CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
denatured alcohol as solvent? Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 2/15/2009 11:00:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

how bad is it to use denatured alcohol to for example re-dissolve some alkaloids to get rid of other solvent traces? Is the stuff that makes alcohol denatured volatile? One particular alcohol for example is denatured with bitrex and diethyl phthalate.

What about for cleaning glassware?

SWIM is having hard time finding things in his current place and alcohol is always a must.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 2/16/2009 12:31:50 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Denatureed alcohol is fine. To the best of my knowledge the denature alcohol is adulterated with methanol but other stuff may be added like traces of xylene/toluene and/or naphtha.

But the best thing would be to read the label of each denatured alcohol brand to find what they contain. For instance I would not use coloured denature alcohol or alcohol that has traces of glycerine!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

psychonaut
#3 Posted : 2/16/2009 1:11:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ya, most has methanol and Bitrex added. Shouldn't affect it much.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 2/16/2009 1:50:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks

so what about bitrex and diethyl phthalate, as I mentioned, both being present in the 96% ethyl alcohol SWIM can find most easily around ? psychonaut thinks bitrex is ok.. right? just bitter making agent, but wouldnt that stay in the alkaloid that was dissolved and evapped in it?

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 2/16/2009 9:29:42 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

endlessness wrote:
thanks

so what about bitrex and diethyl phthalate, as I mentioned, both being present in the 96% ethyl alcohol SWIM can find most easily around ? psychonaut thinks bitrex is ok.. right? just bitter making agent, but wouldnt that stay in the alkaloid that was dissolved and evapped in it?

Doesn't sound like good stuff to have hanging around. I actually had to look wikipedia on the bitrex thing; it seems to be a very bitter compound added just to make the taste disgusting.

The bad thing about it is that it is not volatile. Traces of it will be left on any spice that is dissolved in this denature alcohol. And even though eating bitrex may not be poisonous, smoking it might pose a considerable risk.

The exact same thing goes for the phthalates. Non-volatile hence will taint the product.

I wouldn't personally use this kind of denatured alcohol.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#6 Posted : 2/16/2009 10:49:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks again

SWIM will continue looking for pure alcohol, he doesnt want to have this stuff hanging in his alkaloids.. any suggestions what kind of store? He went to most hardware stores around, and supermarkets.. he's gonna ask in a health shop also, lets see..

freethinker
#7 Posted : 2/16/2009 10:21:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Easy tip, if you don't do it already:
Search "msds" + "full brand name" (using the actual full brand name) to find the spec sheet with full ingredients list since it's often not on the container.

Be safe! Smile (good luck stripping the varnish off your antique furniture)

All posts by this author are blatant plagiarisms, fictitious inventions, and outright lies.