Ecstasy Analogues found in cacti Options

bufoman
#1 Posted : 1/22/2009 2:48:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Just cam across this abstract:

J Psychoactive Drugs. 2008 Jun;40(2):219-22.Links
Ecstasy analogues found in cacti.

Bruhn JG, El-Seedi HR, Stephanson N, Beck O, Shulgin AT.
Division of Pharmacognosy, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
Human interest in psychoactive phenethylamines is known from the use of mescaline-containing cacti and designer drugs such as Ecstasy. From the alkaloid composition of cacti we hypothesized that substances resembling Ecstasy might occur naturally. In this article we show that lophophine, homopiperonylamine and lobivine are new minor constituents of two cactus species, Lophophora williamsii (peyote) and Trichocereus pachanoi (San Pedro). This is the first report of putatively psychoactive phenethylamines besides mescaline in these cacti. A search for further biosynthetic analogues may provide new insights into the structure-activity relationships of mescaline. An intriguing question is whether the new natural compounds can be called "designer drugs."

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

'Coatl
#2 Posted : 1/22/2009 3:02:22 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Perhaps this will answer the question "Why are we looking for new cacti to get high off of when Trichocereus and Lophophora work fine?".

Theres all kinds of new and amazing compounds out there people!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

bufoman
#3 Posted : 1/22/2009 3:33:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Check this out: Organisms from which mescaline has been isolated and the sources: http://www.napralert.org...Mescalineoccurrences.pdf

'Coatl
#4 Posted : 1/22/2009 4:52:07 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
OPUNTIA CYLINDRICA (CACTACEAE) ENTIRE PLANT
00.90% * MESCALINE * ISOQUINOLINE ALKALOID * A07471

Ok your getting into some crazy deep cactus shit now... "OPUNTIA CYLINDRICA" is an old name for Trichocereus pachanoi... Please understand that...

See Trout's Notes for more.

That document has some old and outdated references like the one above but overall it seems pretty nice.

Thanks for posting.

WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

coz42
#5 Posted : 1/22/2009 5:12:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

..So ditch the safrole Wut?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught. ~Baba Dioum

bufoman
#6 Posted : 1/22/2009 6:20:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea I didn't look at every reference but I think overall it is a very valuable list for some plants for anyone to look into. It is not the old name for T pach. it was mislabeled. You are referring to the mislabeled studies that evaluated Trich pac. and reported the specimen as OPUNTIA CYLINDRICA. OPUNTIA CYLINDRICA is its own species.

'Coatl
#7 Posted : 1/22/2009 6:32:48 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Right. So just make it noted that the higest mescaline content cacti of the genus Opuinta have are 0.001.

I looked it up the other day.

bufoman
#8 Posted : 1/22/2009 6:37:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So some Opuinta do have mescaline? Could you elaborate a little more on this genus? Thanks