DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV789
Deciding on a DMT extraction Tek for my first time Options

Madhattress
#161 Posted : 6/28/2023 3:09:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
MH, your white spirits would probably pull OK but you'd need to do an evaporation test to see if they leave any residue from the heavier fractions. Hopefully the low aromatics content won't interfere with freeze precip (which would presumably be your plan) but even were that to be the case it's not insurmountable. The aromatics are too valuable to leave in cheap white spirit anyhow.

Ofc, heptane would just work. Might be worth the price for the assurance of avoided hassle alone.

With both solvents to hand you could pull with the cheap stuff and re-x with the heptane.

Hey there, okay cool, thanks for the info.

I think im just going to go with the N-heptane. I think it would just be the safer and better option. I have done my research and know that with heptane you need to do warm/hot pulls for it to work efficiently at pulling the dmt out. I dont really mind the higher price if it is a better solvent to pull than the benzine i have been using.... and i could also reuse solvent ect. At this rate im doing so much extra work with using benzine as it really doesnt pull the dmt out too well... i would say half of the barks %.

Would you think that heptane would be almost as effective at pulling as Naphtha?
“You have to take seriously the notion that understanding the universe is your responsibility, because the only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding.” - Terence McKenna

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Madhattress
#162 Posted : 6/29/2023 7:55:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I also spoke to an acquaintance friend of mine, who has been a friend of my partner for years when i went to a festival recently and he has his PHD in chemistry. I explained the extractions im doing and he was all for my processes except when i mentioned using benzine.

He explained to me that benzine is quite a dangerous solvent to work with as its carcinogenic and that if i am adamant about using it to proceed with caution and make sure that i never inhale the fumes and never let it touch my skin. He mentioned that they don't even use it anymore in the workplace because of the risks involved. He did say the end result is fine and the dmt will be safe, just that working with this solvent is not very good health wise.

So since then I have also been put off by benzine because of what he has mentioned. But now i wonder, if he was talking about benzene or benzine and if this makes a difference. I guess ill have to ask next time i see him.
“You have to take seriously the notion that understanding the universe is your responsibility, because the only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding.” - Terence McKenna

merkin
#163 Posted : 6/29/2023 1:28:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just read the MSDS
merkin attached the following image(s):
msds.jpg (231kb) downloaded 363 time(s).

Madhattress
#164 Posted : 6/29/2023 6:13:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

merkin wrote:
Just read the MSDS

Okay cool. I think he assumed i was talking about benzene and not benzine. Thats comforting to know.Thumbs up

_Trip_
#165 Posted : 6/29/2023 6:56:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

N-hexane is very neurotoxic
Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

Madhattress
#166 Posted : 6/29/2023 7:16:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

_Trip_ wrote:

Ah yes, i read on a few articles/posts but the one im going to get is N-heptane.

Madhattress
#167 Posted : 6/29/2023 8:20:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

_Trip_ wrote:

Oh i see now what you were referring to on the data sheet.Thumbs up

downwardsfromzero
#168 Posted : 6/29/2023 10:45:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Madhattress wrote:
But now i wonder, if he was talking about benzene or benzine and if this makes a difference.

I'm rather wishing I'd indexed my posts somewhat better (i.e., at all!) as I've typed this stuff out probably dozens of times over the years Laughing

As you may well have figured already, using the term 'benzine' is somewhat problematic and should really be avoided. It's just another name for light naphtha, along with other ones such as petroleum ether (also onomastically problematic), ligroin and a few others. Benzene with the 'e' is the carcinogenic stuff. Not all benzine - with an 'i' - will contain as much hexane as yours does but in this instance, indeed, you really want to avoid exposure to that stuff.

Part of the problem stems from English pronunciation - in several other widespread languages the -in(e) and the -en(e) suffixes are pronounced sufficiently differently that the use of both terms is not so big of a problem and, alas, this keeps the term 'benzine' alive in English somewhat as well. Of course, in German, benzene is called "Benzol" anyhow (and the term was not wholly alien in the UK either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Benzole ) Incidentally, the German wikipedia has the better etymological explanation:
https://de.wikipedia.org...gische_Herkunft,_Begriff
Quote:
Der ursprüngliche Name stammt von dem arabischen Wort für Benzoeharz, luban dschawi – „Weihrauch aus Java“. Dieser Ausdruck gelangte durch arabische Handelsbeziehungen mit Katalonien nach Europa. Mit dem Wegfall der ersten Silbe und der Änderung des ersten a zu e entstand im Italienischen benjuì, im Mittellateinischen benzoë, woraus sich das deutsche Wort Benzol entwickelte.

"The original name comes from the Arabic word for benzoin resin, luban jawi – "incense from Java". This expression came to Europe through Arab trade relations with Catalonia. With the omission of the first syllable and the change of the first a to e, benjuì emerged in Italian, benzoë in Middle Latin, from which the German word Benzol developed."

In the article it goes on:
"In 1825, Faraday discovered the compound later called benzene in emptied gas cylinders, he called it bicarbure d'hydrogène at the time, before it was renamed benzine by Eilhard Mitscherlich. However, he used it to refer to today's benzene. Mitscherlich named the substance after the raw material he used, benzoin resin.

The assignment to today's benzine was done by Justus von Liebig. The term "benzine" therefore does not go back to the engine builder Carl Benz, as is sometimes erroneously assumed, in contrast to diesel fuel, which is actually named after Rudolf Diesel. The discovery of the benzine-air mixture as a suitable fuel source for automobiles goes back to Siegfried Marcus."

So it's von Liebig's fault. Good with condensers, not so good with nomenclature Razz

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Madhattress
#169 Posted : 7/24/2023 1:25:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So i recently did a 100g bark extraction using the max ion tek.

I still used benzine just to see what the difference would be in freebase yeild. It definitely is more effective at pulling out freebase than the stb was using benzine.

I yielded around 1.2g using max ion where with the stb the most i pulled qas around 600mg freebase and then had to pull the rest out with xylene.

Toshido
#170 Posted : 7/30/2023 3:08:35 AM

Research & Development

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Madhattress wrote:
But now i wonder, if he was talking about benzene or benzine and if this makes a difference.

I'm rather wishing I'd indexed my posts somewhat better (i.e., at all!) as I've typed this stuff out probably dozens of times over the years Laughing

As you may well have figured already, using the term 'benzine' is somewhat problematic and should really be avoided. It's just another name for light naphtha, along with other ones such as petroleum ether (also onomastically problematic), ligroin and a few others. Benzene with the 'e' is the carcinogenic stuff. Not all benzine - with an 'i' - will contain as much hexane as yours does but in this instance, indeed, you really want to avoid exposure to that stuff.

Part of the problem stems from English pronunciation - in several other widespread languages the -in(e) and the -en(e) suffixes are pronounced sufficiently differently that the use of both terms is not so big of a problem and, alas, this keeps the term 'benzine' alive in English somewhat as well. Of course, in German, benzene is called "Benzol" anyhow (and the term was not wholly alien in the UK either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Benzole ) Incidentally, the German wikipedia has the better etymological explanation:
https://de.wikipedia.org...gische_Herkunft,_Begriff
Quote:
Der ursprüngliche Name stammt von dem arabischen Wort für Benzoeharz, luban dschawi – „Weihrauch aus Java“. Dieser Ausdruck gelangte durch arabische Handelsbeziehungen mit Katalonien nach Europa. Mit dem Wegfall der ersten Silbe und der Änderung des ersten a zu e entstand im Italienischen benjuì, im Mittellateinischen benzoë, woraus sich das deutsche Wort Benzol entwickelte.

"The original name comes from the Arabic word for benzoin resin, luban jawi – "incense from Java". This expression came to Europe through Arab trade relations with Catalonia. With the omission of the first syllable and the change of the first a to e, benjuì emerged in Italian, benzoë in Middle Latin, from which the German word Benzol developed."

In the article it goes on:
"In 1825, Faraday discovered the compound later called benzene in emptied gas cylinders, he called it bicarbure d'hydrogène at the time, before it was renamed benzine by Eilhard Mitscherlich. However, he used it to refer to today's benzene. Mitscherlich named the substance after the raw material he used, benzoin resin.

The assignment to today's benzine was done by Justus von Liebig. The term "benzine" therefore does not go back to the engine builder Carl Benz, as is sometimes erroneously assumed, in contrast to diesel fuel, which is actually named after Rudolf Diesel. The discovery of the benzine-air mixture as a suitable fuel source for automobiles goes back to Siegfried Marcus."

So it's von Liebig's fault. Good with condensers, not so good with nomenclature Razz

Your repetition isn't thankless. That was a fun stroll down history lane. Archive that!
🌳👨‍🔬🌳 - My A/B Hot Plate TEK - 🌳👨‍🔬🌳
🍜🍜🍜 - Don't Heat Your Naphtha, Heat Your Soup! - 🍜🍜🍜
✴✴✴ - White Spice vs Yellow Spice - 🌟🌟🌟
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Madhattress
#171 Posted : 8/10/2023 9:46:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did an extraction yesterday with 200g of bark using the Max Ion tek. This is new bark i have not tried yet but here is what it looks like. Will do a scrape up tomorrow. 🙂

Madhattress attached the following image(s):
IMG-20230810-WA0001.jpg (239kb) downloaded 253 time(s).
IMG-20230810-WA0000.jpg (97kb) downloaded 253 time(s).

Toshido
#172 Posted : 8/10/2023 9:08:57 PM

Research & Development

Let us know the yield on that! Looks pretty good for 200g!
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness." - Terence McKenna
🙌 "Dang, that's really impressive for a first extraction. Those xtals are nicely resolved." - Benzyme 🙌

Madhattress
#173 Posted : 8/10/2023 9:10:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So here are some pics of the yeild from the first 4 pulls with 200g bark. Got 1.85g from 4 pulls. Will do the final 2 pulls and hopefully get to the 2g mark.

IMG-20230810-WA0011.jpg (276kb) downloaded 215 time(s).
IMG-20230810-WA0012.jpg (234kb) downloaded 215 time(s).
IMG-20230810-WA0010.jpg (156kb) downloaded 215 time(s).
IMG-20230810-WA0008.jpg (225kb) downloaded 214 time(s).

Twilight Person
#174 Posted : 8/12/2023 11:11:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That has a great colour! I sometimes ended up evaporating my naphtha and it was very brown... But i was too afraid of leaving something behind...

You say you used xylene also and how Did the product Look like?

Cheers
~ O ~

Toshido
#175 Posted : 8/16/2023 4:08:17 PM

Research & Development

The world needs a gif or video of that dish being scraped.

Madhattress
#176 Posted : 10/17/2023 8:46:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys! Been a while. I have been quite busy lately but have been doing quite a few extractions in the last while.

Thought id post my latest 100g bark extraction because the crystals came out so pretty with this oneLove

I used Max Ion for this extraction.

IMG-20231016-WA0018.jpg (234kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
IMG-20231016-WA0022.jpg (217kb) downloaded 119 time(s).
IMG-20231016-WA0015.jpg (310kb) downloaded 117 time(s).

Madhattress
#177 Posted : 10/17/2023 8:50:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Twilight Person wrote:
That has a great colour! I sometimes ended up evaporating my naphtha and it was very brown... But i was too afraid of leaving something behind...

You say you used xylene also and how Did the product Look like?

Cheers

Hey there😊

I use benzine for these extractions using the max Ion Tek and did freezer precipitation.

wabkia
#178 Posted : 10/22/2023 10:06:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Those look fantastic! Did you add seed xtals?

Madhattress
#179 Posted : 10/24/2023 10:31:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

wabkia wrote:
Those look fantastic! Did you add seed xtals?

Hey there, thanks! No i didnt add any seeds xtals to this extraction

«PREV789