President of Colombia signs decree legalizing med cannabis Options

null24
#1 Posted : 12/23/2015 5:48:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Exactly what title says
Big grin
Quote:
. For Hannah Hetzer, Americas Policy Manager at the Drug Policy Alliance in New York, the order signals that attitudes are shifting across Latin America. "For the past few years, Latin American presidents have become some of the strongest voices on the global stage calling for a different approach to drug policy" she told VICE News. "President Santos's decree on medical marijuana is a demonstration that he is committed to ensuring that reform takes place within his own country, not just internationally."

The decree allowing the production and sale of medical marijuana comes three years after Colombia's congress decriminalized the possession of up to 20 grams for personal use. A study last year by the Ministry of Health found that 11.5 percent of Colombians questioned had used the drug at least once.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Leithen
#2 Posted : 12/24/2015 2:00:52 AM

Be Here Now

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing Null.

The main thing I like is the decrease in punishments for petty crimes like marijuana possession.

One step closer to global legalization, something that should never have been an issue in the first place if you ask me. The more countries that jump on board the better! Thumbs up
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

BundleflowerPower
#3 Posted : 12/29/2015 1:44:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is actually kind of suprising, considering how Colombia tows the US line when it comes to the war on drugs, Colombia seems to support all other US possisions as well on the world stage. Hopefully this is a sign of more to come.

Strigiform
#4 Posted : 1/3/2016 7:59:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is great! Thank you for sharing, null24. The US's War on Drugs has been especially destructive in Latin American countries; where the black market's drug traffic goes, so follows a trail of destruction and death. And up until recently, many of these countries appeared to support US policy despite the toll it was taking.

I like what's happening in the world as of late. Canada is poised to legalize in the next two years (unless Trudeau is a liar), and multiple south American countries are also relaxing their drug laws in the wake of extreme violence. This makes me all the more excited for things like ungass2016, which is on April 19 of all days.

I do not want to give my hopes up, but this is indeed a very exciting time. Here's to hoping that Mexico goes for medical/legalization next!

SynKyd
#5 Posted : 1/4/2016 2:09:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The governments are coming around so they can get their cut, big money is exchanging hands every day and they're on the wrong side of that equation.

Glad to see this is being reported as a trend, and in 5 years I truly believe anything is possible!
At the center of this existence, it is everything and nothing, all of us and each of us and none of us. My light is now lit, and it cannot be extinguished.