CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Petition for cannabis legalisation in the UK Options

Whatis
#1 Posted : 7/27/2015 10:43:05 AM

Its a question of perspective...

In July 2015 the UK government started to accept e-petitions via its website. Anything with over 100,000 signatures must be considered for debate and given a formal response.

Add your name to the e-petition for cannabis legalisation here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104349

From the petition:
Make the production, sale and use of cannabis legal.
Legalising cannabis could bring in £900m in taxes every year, save £400m on policing cannabis and create over 10,000 new jobs.
A substance that is safer than alcohol, and has many uses. It is believed to have been used by humans for over 4000 years, being made illegal in the UK in 1925.

You must be a British citizen to sign

Thumbs up Thumbs up

Much Love <3 xx

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 7/27/2015 2:05:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

signed Smile

Pihuechenyi
#3 Posted : 7/28/2015 9:32:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Signed and i've encouraged everyone I think would be interested to sign. The count is up to 172 thousand now. I love seeing the press coverage on this too.

Also here's one more: https://www.change.org/p...tm_source=share_petition

Cognitive Heart
#4 Posted : 7/28/2015 10:09:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Although I'm not located nor from the UK, I encourage participation for this signature. Smile I now have signed AP's link. Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Xagan
#5 Posted : 7/29/2015 3:57:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing this, I've just signed it Smile

soulfood
#6 Posted : 8/26/2015 12:03:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

....And the response:

Quote:

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Make the production, sale and use of cannabis legal.”.

Government responded:

Substantial scientific evidence shows cannabis is a harmful drug that can damage human health. There are no plans to legalise cannabis as it would not address the harm to individuals and communities.

The latest evidence from the independent Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs is that the use of cannabis is a significant public health issue (‘Cannabis Classification and Public Health’, 2008 ).

Cannabis can unquestionably cause harm to individuals and society. Legalisation of cannabis would not eliminate the crime committed by the illicit trade, nor would it address the harms associated with drug dependence and the misery that this can cause to families.

Legalisation would also send the wrong message to the vast majority of people who do not take drugs, especially young and vulnerable people, with the potential grave risk of increased misuse of drugs.

Despite the potential opportunity offered by legalisation to raise revenue through taxation, there would be costs in relation to administrative, compliance and law enforcement activities, as well as the wider costs of drug prevention and health services.

The UK's approach on drugs remains clear: we must prevent drug use in our communities; help dependent individuals through treatment and wider recovery support; while ensuring law enforcement protects society by stopping the supply and tackling the organised crime that is associated with the drugs trade. The Government will build on the Drugs Strategy by continuing to take a balanced and coherent approach to address the evolving challenges posed.

There are positive signs that the Government’s approach is working: there has been a long term downward trend in drug use over the last decade, and more people are recovering from their dependency now than in 2009/10. The number of adults aged 16-59 using cannabis in the last year in England and Wales has declined over the last decade from 9.6% to 6.7%, with cannabis use amongst young adults aged 16-24 and young people aged 11-15 following a similar pattern.

d*l*b
#7 Posted : 8/26/2015 6:39:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

We still get a debate in the House of Commons at least.

My guess is that ongoing change in other countries and budget issues will be what forces change.

Government rhetoric on the issue is predictable. They churn out the same confused concepts as ever, while destroying the lives of many thousands via legal sanctions, encouraging people trafficking/slavery and giving some of the worst criminals an easy income.

I am sure they are not so stupid as not to realise what’s happening on the ground, it has never been easier to find anything you want. The current paradigm effectively means there is no control of manufacture, use or trade of any controlled substance. The government is negligent as it stands, they refuse to admit the truth and move to give real protection to the population – unbiased education, age-based restrictions, worry-free access to physical and mental health support, and protection from violence and abuse.
D × V × F > R

Whatis
#8 Posted : 10/14/2015 9:15:22 PM

Its a question of perspective...

So the petition has been debated in parliament.

You can watch the debate here:
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/c277985b-3edb-4f13-93f2-902bf81ea208

You can read the transcript here:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201516/cmhansrd/cm151012/halltext/151012h0001.htm#15101213000049

I haven't watched it yet, but it's over two hours long - so I hope to god they address some issues and don't brush over everything like they did with their initial response.

Democracy in action.
Much Love <3 xx

Strigiform
#9 Posted : 10/15/2015 2:20:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Paul Flynn wrote:
Recently, one of the legal highs was criminalised, and the result in my area was a 300% increase in its use. We cannot go on believing that we are the masters of the universe. We are throwing 2 million or 3 million of our young people into the hands of irresponsible gangsters. We should ensure that these drugs are controlled so that they are kept out of the hands of people with mental ill health and others whose health might be threatened, such as pregnant women. That is the point of a controlled drug, and we will get it controlled only with legalisation. We will carry on with the chaos, waste and cruelty if we continue with our mistaken policy of prohibition.

Glad to hear there are voices for legalization in the UK!

Sadly, the official response seen here is very discouraging. The response argues that:

1. Cannabis poses a risk to health

> Poor diet, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarretes and leading a sedentary lifestyle pose serious risks to one's health (in the debate transcript, there was a suggestion that alcohol and nicotine would be prohibited if they were discovered today). Should the government make it illegal to do anything that may damage a person's health? How far should the state go to enforce what it deems to be healthy activity?

2. Legalization would not eliminate the black markets.

> No, but it would be effective in reducing their impact and influence. Prohibition of substances is a great way to make said substances the core of a very lucrative business. Prohibition is the pressure by which the prices of relatively cheap goods are driven into the stratosphere and rendered extremely profitable.

3. Legalization would "Send the wrong message"

> What message would be sent, exactly? I hear this rhetoric in the US as well and it baffles me. It's implied that making the substance legal is equivalent to the government approving its widespread use. Should the government take such an invasive role in the lives of the citizens by telling them what they can and cannot do with their own minds and bodies? The message being sent now (via Frank) is hyperbolic and misinformative; is that the right message?

4. There would be costs in relation to administrative, compliance and law enforcement activities, as well as the wider costs of drug prevention and health services.

> The cost of prohibition is not mentioned. Also, the human cost of prohibition is not mentioned. People are already using the substance (and more dangerous synthetic alternatives) and it is already a burden on health services.

5. Prohibition is allegedly working:

Quote:
There are positive signs that the Government’s approach is working: there has been a long term downward trend in drug use over the last decade, and more people are recovering from their dependency now than in 2009/10. The number of adults aged 16-59 using cannabis in the last year in England and Wales has declined over the last decade from 9.6% to 6.7%, with cannabis use amongst young adults aged 16-24 and young people aged 11-15 following a similar pattern.

> Do these studies track the increase in usage of synthetic cannabinoids and RCs? Maybe people are no longer seeking out the real thing since there are legal, albeit more dangerous, alternatives available.

Perhaps in time the political atmosphere will change away from "prohibit harder" to something better suited to the reality of human nature and drug use.

EDIT: It appears that soulfood had already posted the government's response earlier in the thread. It's interesting how the UK government issued the response before the debate occurred

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 10/15/2015 9:58:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That reply totally sucks but the debate is certainly worth a read.

Paul Flynn wrote:
The Government, in their secretive, defensive way, which denies the information, discovered that the answer to the drugs problem in prisons was to get rid not of the drugs, but of the prisoners—it is simple, really.

This really sums things up, sadly.

Interestingly, there is http://www.peterlilley.co.uk/publications/1463/common-sense-cannabis from Conservative MP Peter Lilley, who said during the debate:
Quote:
Some years ago, members of the press asked Front Benchers from both parties whether they had ever consumed cannabis. I found that I was one of the very few who had never done so then, and I have not since. That may be why I had a clear enough head, when looking at the evidence, to conclude that we need not just to decriminalise cannabis, but to legalise its sale and use.

His party could have done with listening to him before issuing their utterly outdated response.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli