CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Best grow medium for cacti Options

Aum
#1 Posted : 9/6/2023 6:20:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi all,

I usually just use standard cacti mix from bunnings for my cacti. But I am planning to plant my next lot of cacti in a harder to reach spot in a sunroom behind a spa and I am wondering if there is a good medium for this that would allow for me not needing to water them very often without risking root rot?

Alternatively would it be a better option to buy a couple of self-watering troughs (rectangular planters) to grow them in? I wasn't sure if cacti were suitable for them or not.

I am finding the regular cacti mix I use on my other cacti drys out pretty quick and I water every few days.

Cheers.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

brokedownpalace10
#2 Posted : 9/6/2023 7:57:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I know this isn't an answer per se, but just a thought.
They are cactus. They'll live being dry for a long time. I just use sand and some kind of soil and my pots drain pretty quickly. The ones in the window don't get watered enough in the summer and not at all in the winter. They grow more slowly than the ones that go outside and get the rain, but they're healthy.

Aum
#3 Posted : 9/6/2023 9:14:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey brokedownpalace10,

Yeah I think your probably right there, I have heard it said that less is better with cacti.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is a way to keep them growing fairly optimally while still neglecting them a bit lol.

Like if I can add more coco peat or something to the mix to retain moisture longer or do the self watering planter idea. But if I don't find someone here thats had success with that I will just stick to the basics and I'm sure they'll do fine as you say, and will just grow a little slower.

Cheers.

pantostao
#4 Posted : 9/6/2023 9:32:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello!

I don't know much about growing cacti, but mine are being neglected for sure. And they're growing strong anyways.

They don't need water often, and I believe they don't want to be around moisture 100% of the time. As in, I think it's better to alternate heavy watering and a long period without water.

During the summer, I've been watering them about once a week, but they've been getting full sun all day and very hot temperatures. During the winter, they don't need water at all. I only water them when I bury my finger in the pot and it feels totally dry. My soil mix is whatever they had in the store next to my house, and it's definitely not the best, because it doesn't drain too well, and I worry that it can cause root rot, but... it's working so far.

My point is: Don't worry too much about the cacti. They'll thrive on neglect too. It's better to underwater them than to overdo it.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 9/6/2023 1:59:04 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If it's Trichocereus - San Pedro and the like - then it's a slightly different ball game. These plants will thrive with generous watering (for a cactus - waterlogging, naturally, is best avoided) throughout the summer and will respond accordingly with their growth levels. They appreciate regular application of fertilizer and it's often suggested to use organic tomato feed diluted to half the usual strength. These plants also respond very well to undiluted urine which is a good money-saver.

Back to the original question, I've used normal peat-free potting compost mixed with anything that helps increase drainage such as perlite, grit, lava chippings, or clay balls or chippings. I should add that these are plants grown in pots, some quite large, in northern Europe. They are outdoors in the summer and remain more or less outside in the winter but in a temporary conservatory heated only sufficiently to protect against frost.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Twilight Person
#6 Posted : 9/6/2023 4:02:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I got my medium from the cultivation book from patrick noll which i found as a download somewhere here... It mentions to use 2 or 3 parts of porous inorganic minerals (pumice or lava or zeolith) and 1 part regular plant garden soil.

Still that is again drain heavy so does not hold water for long. But in my very short new life as a cacti keeper i felt like you could still use exactly that and simply only water every 2 weeks instead of every 1 week. Cannot see why they would not like it and still fulfill your low maintenance aspect. Maybe do 1:1 regarding this mix or 1,5:1.
~ O ~

Mitakuye Oyasin
#7 Posted : 9/6/2023 6:23:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is a web archive link to Vern (RIP) and Cactus Kate's cactus soil mix. This guy grew and sold amazing cactus.
https://web.archive.org/...tus1.com/pottingsoil.htm
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 9/6/2023 8:06:24 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Twilight Person wrote:
I got my medium from the cultivation book from patrick noll which i found as a download somewhere here... It mentions to use 2 or 3 parts of porous inorganic minerals (pumice or lava or zeolith) and 1 part regular plant garden soil.

Still that is again drain heavy so does not hold water for long. But in my very short new life as a cacti keeper i felt like you could still use exactly that and simply only water every 2 weeks instead of every 1 week. Cannot see why they would not like it and still fulfill your low maintenance aspect. Maybe do 1:1 regarding this mix or 1,5:1.
Looks like I've not mentioned the proportion of drainage material in my mix: it's about 1:1 and maybe even runs a bit heavier on the compost to account for its sand content. I also tend to add ~0.1 of volcanic rock dust; the mix is relatively free- draining all the same.

I do wonder if Patrick's mix has been developed to optimise blooming - he's a master in that respect - so perhaps I ought to take a leaf out of his book and go for an even more free-draining compost if more flowers are to be a realistic goal.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

brokedownpalace10
#9 Posted : 9/6/2023 9:18:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I like a mix that is pretty free draining because I can then put that pot outside in the rain if I want without it staying too soggy.
I have a big planter box in the window, which will always be in the window, which is straight potting soil with a little perlite.
You could have bigger, deeper, trays under the pots. That might make watering needed less often.

n00b4life
#10 Posted : 9/7/2023 3:21:24 PM

inflammable means flammable??

About to start growing cacti again, recently been more focused on succulents. I always had good luck with pure pumice. But not always easy to source and you want to filter out most of the dust, which, is a very dusty process. Will let you know, starting both seeds and cuttings soon. Never done a cacti from seed, but in general growing from seed is most satisfying thing in my experience.
These are the writings of a fictional character, preserved on this forum as a collaborative art project.

Aum
#11 Posted : 9/18/2023 9:53:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I got the cacti potted up last Sunday but have been very slack at posting here.

I ended up doing around 40% cacti mix (screened for bark chunks), 40 perlite and 20 coco coir. So perhaps a bit light on the inorganic material but will see how things go.

I used some of the mix to do a couple of 'takeaway tek' containers also.

I potted nine of the cacti in these trough planters and one in a larger pot that I forgot to photograph

Aum attached the following image(s):
20230910_170913.jpg (3,591kb) downloaded 42 time(s).

Aum
#12 Posted : 9/18/2023 10:02:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Not sure why my photos gone upside down sorry

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 9/18/2023 4:18:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aum wrote:

Metadata is stripped for your safety and security. This includes the orientation data, although we can now tell you were holding the phone with the button to the left!

Pretty babies Smile

Aum
#14 Posted : 9/18/2023 5:41:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Aum wrote:

Metadata is stripped for your safety and security. This includes the orientation data, although we can now tell you were holding the phone with the button to the left!

Pretty babies Smile

Oh right haha thanks I know for next time now.

Aum
#15 Posted : 1/22/2024 6:40:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Couply update pics of my cacti collection
20240122_173628.jpg (2,897kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
20240122_173752.jpg (2,574kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
20240122_174005.jpg (2,535kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
20240122_174041.jpg (2,305kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
20240122_195128.jpg (2,326kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
20240122_174153.jpg (2,529kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

Aum
#16 Posted : 1/22/2024 7:02:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

A couple gymno's well due for a re-pot
20240122_195727.jpg (3,406kb) downloaded 10 time(s).