DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Burning DMT > Potential By-products Options

scaredofthedark
#21 Posted : 12/3/2023 3:57:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oxygen in the Air vs. Molecular Structure

• Comment: "Oxygen is present in the combustion of DMT, because it is in the air... Which shouldn't make a difference anyways because DMT oxidizes."
  • Analysis: This Hcomment somewhat conflates the presence of oxygen in the air with the oxidation of DMT. While oxygen from the air is indeed necessary for combustion, the chemical structure of DMT (which lacks oxygen atoms) influences the types of byproducts formed during combustion. The oxidation of DMT refers to its reaction with oxygen during combustion, not necessarily to the presence of oxygen within its molecular structure.

Pyrolysis Products and Ambient Oxygen

• Comment: "The range of DMT pyrolysis products at a given temperature would vary depending on the levels of ambient atmospheric oxygen."
  • Analysis: Pyrolysis typically occurs in the absence of oxygen, leading to thermal decomposition without combustion. The presence of ambient oxygen would more likely affect combustion products rather than pyrolysis products. Pyrolysis products are more dependent on temperature and the chemical structure of the substance undergoing pyrolysis.

Comparing Smoking Changa and Tobacco

• Comment: "So my reasoning would be that the damage of smoking tobacco is that of the burning harmala alkaloids+all of the other toxic materials in it. So then smoking changa or cannabis with harmala's still exposes you to only a fraction of the toxic stuff that a cigarette smoker is normally being exposed to."
  • Analysis: This comparison oversimplifies the complexity of smoke composition. Tobacco smoke contains a wide range of harmful chemicals, including carcinogens, and the exact composition of changa smoke would depend on its specific ingredients. Making direct comparisons without detailed chemical analysis can be misleading.

Specific Pyrolysis Products

• Comment: "you will be getting both pyrolysis products and combustion products... with pyrolysis it will likely cleave along the ethyl side chain, giving you an indole or indole carbaldehyde, along with the trimethylamine which will decompose into formaldehyde and with further oxidation, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides."
  • Analysis: This comment attempts to predict specific pyrolysis products of DMT, but such predictions are speculative without empirical data. The complexity of pyrolysis chemistry makes it difficult to accurately predict specific products without laboratory analysis.

By-products of DMT Combustion

• Comment: "DMT (N,N-Dimethyltryptamine) primarily consists of carbon (C), hydrogen (H), and nitrogen (N) atoms. Its chemical structure does not include oxygen (O), which is a key element in compounds like aldehydes and carboxylic acids that can be formed during combustion. This means that some of the by-products typical of burning organic materials (like wood or tobacco), which contain oxygen in their structures, might not be produced in the same way or abundance when DMT is burned."
  • Analysis: The comment correctly notes that DMT's lack of oxygen influences the types of by-products formed during combustion. However, the specific by-products mentioned are speculative and would require empirical verification. While nitrogen oxides might be a plausible product due to DMT's nitrogen content, the formation of specific smaller hydrocarbons would depend on the conditions of combustion.

Oh, damn. GPT calling all of y'all out!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Voidmatrix
#22 Posted : 12/3/2023 6:19:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

SOTD, I think it prudent that one keeps in mind that ChatGPT derives its information from many disparate sources, but that doesn't mean that it's conclusions and how it draws them is exhaustive and as such it may not have the repertoire or repository or information to reason in the manner the dfo and Mindlusion have.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Mindlusion
#23 Posted : 12/3/2023 6:48:29 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Loveall wrote:
But isn't pure vaporized DMT alkaline to the point of mildly irritating around the mouth/lips. And numbing post initial irritation?

Yeah it certainly is, it also depends on the temperature of the vapor when it reaches the mouth, if the path is short from using e-mesh or something like that the vapor is quite hot and numbing, with something like a GVG the vapor is much cooler, but yes you can still taste it and it has a numbing effect. But its very small compared to the irritation you would get by smoking it in a sandwich method and small enough that you might not even notice it or only notice it after you have inhaled a big dose.

Voidmatrix wrote:
Thank you for all of the valuable information. I have some follow-up questions.

Considering how low DMT is dosed, how much of these negative byproducts (from pyrolysis and combustion) are formed? Are there really enough produced to be concerned? Do these byproducts accumulate in the body or does the body relieve itself of them over time?

Right it would be a fairly low amount, but its not unknown to see lung problems arising from the use of smoking freebase. For example, in chronic users of people who smoke freebase compounds (cocaine or methamphetamine), in these cases the amount of substance being smoked would likely be in the multiple of grams per week, they have been shown to end up with lung problems like emphysema, significantly more than users that use other ROA. So it takes time, but especially hot and acrid smoke and vapors, it does damage the sensitive tissue in the lungs over time. Even pure vapor, it is highly basic, it interferes with the mucosal membrane on the alveoli, and the lungs just aren't designed to take that kind of abuse everyday.

However, these should be viewed as the extreme cases, if the lungs are given time to recover, they will often very quickly. With DMT the overall volume and exposure is going to be significantly less, it also seems to be somewhat less caustic than something like amphetamine. But 40-50mg in one sitting, especially if it combusts, is still quite a lot of smoke.

The byproducts do not accumulate and will be quickly flushed out of the body, I would be most concerned about the immediate damage they do to the tissue, and the tissue can also heal quickly. The damage seems to come primarily from chronic exposure where the tissue damage accumulates and can't return to its normal state. In my experience , the main reason I switched to vaping was that I seemed to get more sensitive to the combustion products over time, the first year or so I smoked I never had an issue, but years later if there was any combustion at all my body would immediately react violently and cough to the point that any trace of it would trigger this coughing attack. So this is something to think about too, just how you are reacting to it.

There is the question of if byproducts could produce a transient molecule that is more toxic or mutagenic, any simple carbon and nitrogen aromatics could be produced by combustion, but I think this is negligible. I think to focus on the combustion byproducts is focusing on the wrong thing its not really the individual combustion products that are going to be damaging, its the combustion mixture itself of hot gas suspended particulates free radicals, etc, etc, the difference between smoke and vapor, and even vapor itself is damaging due to its nature, so the idea is just to limit that, find an approach that works and allow time to heal

Voidmatrix wrote:

It sounds like I should be using my vg much more, even for changa, which brings me to:
Mindlusion, do you notice a difference in experience when you vape changa instead of combust it because of the difference in melting and vaporization points between DMT and harmalas?

I'd be saddened to have to retire some of my pipes. But safety and health first.

One love

Actually, I'm curious about combusting harmalas in general seeing as how I smoalk them with cannabis pretty often.

Yeah that is a good point, harmala bp is higher so I have wondered that as well if vaping changa from a vg would be much different than regular combustion. However, I have not noticed much of a difference, it is also usually more powerful experience for the same amount of changa due to the enhanced efficiency the lower overall volume of smoke. Qualitatively it still feels different compared to pure freebase, at least in the aftereffects, the peak is often so overpowering you can't really tell the difference, but the low dose or after effects still feel as if the harmala has some effect. So perhaps even if there is some harmala getting left behind, the amount that does vaporize is enough to have its effect, vaporized harmalas are also highly potent compared to their oral potency.

I have smoked harmalas with cannabis in the past as well, it was always a bit harsher. If you like, switch to vaping and save the pipes for special occasions perhaps.
dragonrider wrote:

Well, tobacco also contains harmala alkaloids. So my reasoning would be that the damage of smoking tobacco is that of the burning harmala alkaloids+all of the other toxic materials in it.

So then smoking changa or cannabis with harmala's still exposes you to only a fraction of the toxic stuff that a cigarette smoker is normally being exposed to.

But there's no DMT in tobacco, or any other tryptamine. As far as i know.

By the way, tobacco doesn't actually contain harmala alkaloids, or it contains a very small amount, the high amount of harmalas present in tobacco smoke actually come from the dehydration of tryptophan present in the tobacco, which cyclizes and dehydrates to produce different beta-carboline alkaloids, like harmane, in that case it also seems to pick up a carbon from somewhere, or maybe by decarboxylation and condensation with another molecule containing a 2 carbon unit. But yeah in any case tobacco has quite a bit of MAO activity, still very small in comparison to what is required to activate DMT but it is thought to be responsible for tobaccos overall full spectrum effect, I believe there is some research into it as well in terms of the cancer causing effect , some of the enzyme inhibition can promote, but I don't quite remember

scaredofthedark wrote:
ChatGPT wrote:
Oxygen in the Air vs. Molecular Structure

• Comment: "So my reasoning would be that the damage of smoking tobacco is that of the burning harmala alkaloids+all of the other toxic materials in it. So then smoking changa or cannabis with harmala's still exposes you to only a fraction of the toxic stuff that a cigarette smoker is normally being exposed to."
  • Analysis: This comparison oversimplifies the complexity of smoke composition. Tobacco smoke contains a wide range of harmful chemicals, including carcinogens, and the exact composition of changa smoke would depend on its specific ingredients. Making direct comparisons without detailed chemical analysis can be misleading.

Specific Pyrolysis Products

• Comment: "you will be getting both pyrolysis products and combustion products... with pyrolysis it will likely cleave along the ethyl side chain, giving you an indole or indole carbaldehyde, along with the trimethylamine which will decompose into formaldehyde and with further oxidation, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides."
  • Analysis: This comment attempts to predict specific pyrolysis products of DMT, but such predictions are speculative without empirical data. The complexity of pyrolysis chemistry makes it difficult to accurately predict specific products without laboratory analysis.

By-products of DMT Combustion

This is all correct as well, although the first answer isn't saying much just restating the question, the question can't be answered though its not really the right question and it sorta points it out by saying it oversimplifies the complexity of smoke composition. Its not so clear that tobacco smoke is magnitudes more toxic than any other smoke, because tobacco smoke is the only smoke that people smoke ridiculous quantities of for decades, besides cannabis at least.

The second one is totally correct as well, still I would take chatGPT answers with a grain of salt, because often when does make mistakes, it states them just as confidently as it does when it makes correct statements. And if you are not able to identify when it makes a mistake, it will be misleading
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

scaredofthedark
#24 Posted : 12/3/2023 7:27:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

All hail our Chat GPT overlord.

downwardsfromzero
#25 Posted : 12/4/2023 8:43:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

scaredofthedark wrote:

This is idolatory. God will be having a word with you in due course.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

dragonrider
#26 Posted : 12/4/2023 9:33:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
scaredofthedark wrote:

No. I asked chat-GPT and it said that god would never say such a thing about chat-GPT worshippers.
In fact, chat-GPT informed me that god kind of pales in comparison to chat-GPT, and would want every good christian to no longer look into scripture for answers on all matters considering life and afterlife, but to consult chat-GPT instead.
Chat-GPT even told me that god himself uses chat-GPT all the time.
According to chat-GPT, we should never doubt anything chat-GPT says, because chat-GPT only wants what's best for us.

downwardsfromzero
#27 Posted : 12/4/2023 10:10:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bah, throw him into the Total Perspective Vortex!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

CatsPawTea
#28 Posted : 12/5/2023 9:19:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Really enjoyed reading everyone's replies. Learned some stuff Very happy

Seems like the damage/risk isn't too significant with typical use.

Still ended up getting a TC mod though lol -- at first I figured maybe variable wattage is enough, but this thread nudged me a bit in the temp control direction.

Gotta say, happy I did it just for the quality of the experience Thumbs up

Voidmatrix
#29 Posted : 12/5/2023 1:18:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CPT wrote:
Seems like the damage/risk isn't too significant with typical use.

I still have questions considering I can be a daily user sometimes lmao Laughing I'm also paranoid

One love

One of those questions, to Mindlusion, would be how much do you think water in a bubbler or bong helps ameliorate some of these concerns?
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Voidmatrix
#30 Posted : 12/6/2023 1:41:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mindlusion wrote:
However, these should be viewed as the extreme cases, if the lungs are given time to recover, they will often very quickly. With DMT the overall volume and exposure is going to be significantly less, it also seems to be somewhat less caustic than something like amphetamine. But 40-50mg in one sitting, especially if it combusts, is still quite a lot of smoke

Thank you for this and also the information about what DMT impacts in the lungs. I'll be frank, while I'm very fit and a gym rat, I am very hard on my lungs, by being a regular vaper, a daily cannabis enthusiast, as well as a frequent low-dose DMT user. It sounds that I should be unsurprised as well as not alarmed if DMT makes me cough more at times, though I do tend to take periodic breaks that can last for a month or more. All the same, I should cut back on my of the other things the come into my lungs, especially with declining air quality.

Mindlusion wrote:
...its the combustion mixture itself of hot gas suspended particulates free radicals, etc, etc, the difference between smoke and vapor, and even vapor itself is damaging due to its nature, so the idea is just to limit that, find an approach that works and allow time to heal.

So what are your thoughts on water being part of the equation? With both changa and cannabis+harmalas I use some type of pipe that causes the smoalk to move through water before into me.

Mindlusion wrote:
Yeah that is a good point, harmala bp is higher so I have wondered that as well if vaping changa from a vg would be much different than regular combustion. However, I have not noticed much of a difference, it is also usually more powerful experience for the same amount of changa due to the enhanced efficiency the lower overall volume of smoke. Qualitatively it still feels different compared to pure freebase, at least in the aftereffects, the peak is often so overpowering you can't really tell the difference, but the low dose or after effects still feel as if the harmala has some effect. So perhaps even if there is some harmala getting left behind, the amount that does vaporize is enough to have its effect, vaporized harmalas are also highly potent compared to their oral potency.

It could be that I need to practice using my vg (last bowl didn't seem to vaporize well despite my attempts, and I'm confident there's more spice and harmalas in the blend), but the experience in the vg is very different from when using my bubbler. I think it was dragonrider that mentioned that harmalas like to be burned. I'm still going to mix and match my approach more often though. I find it easier to step into the experience using my bubbler because I can see the volume of smoalk as I hit it and as I perform my count. It looks like some surprise deep journeys will be in my near future. Twisted Evil

One love

scaredofthedark
#31 Posted : 12/6/2023 3:09:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
scaredofthedark wrote:

No. I asked chat-GPT and it said that god would never say such a thing about chat-GPT worshippers.
In fact, chat-GPT informed me that god kind of pales in comparison to chat-GPT, and would want every good christian to no longer look into scripture for answers on all matters considering life and afterlife, but to consult chat-GPT instead.
According to chat-GPT, we should never doubt anything chat-GPT says, because chat-GPT only wants what's best for us.

I think we need to move this thread to the Spirituality section now due to this OT chatting.

Voidmatrix
#32 Posted : 12/6/2023 3:40:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

scaredofthedark wrote:
dragonrider wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
scaredofthedark wrote:

I think we need to move this thread to the Spirituality section now due to this OT chatting.

The four so mods already part of this conversation disagree Very happy

One love

scaredofthedark
#33 Posted : 12/6/2023 3:44:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There's only one response that makes sense then: make me admin! I'm running things now. Me and my trusty LLM partner in crime. Smile

downwardsfromzero
#34 Posted : 12/6/2023 11:34:11 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

scaredofthedark wrote:
There's only one response that makes sense then: make me admin! I'm running things now. Me and my trusty LLM partner in crime. Smile

Alternatively, you could try saying something helpful or relevantWut?

tick, tick, tick...

the Vortex awaits.

(Remember, you're not the only one with LLM access, buddy. The ability to interpret its output counts for a lot.)

PREV12