CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heptane, n-heptane, 95%, 99% Options

ildruido
#1 Posted : 7/10/2023 4:07:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I want the best product for extraction but I dont want to waste money: these 3 products look the same to me but I'm not a chemist and the pricing is very different, which one is better and why? Smile

heptane
n-heptane 95%
n-heptane 99%

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 7/11/2023 5:57:34 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

N-heptane means normal heptane, a seven-carbon, nonbranched, straight chain molecule. It has a single boiling point range.
Heptanes (like hexanes) refers to a mixture of isomers, some branched, having a variety of boiling point ranges.

I'd go for either of the n-heptane choices. Heptanes may have higher boiling components
which may result in residual solvent in your end product.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

vitriol
#3 Posted : 9/25/2023 7:10:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 9/25/2023 8:22:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The heptane should slowly evaporate from the product over the course of several days, assuming you got a clean evap test on the solvent to start with. If it's a bother to wait, dissolving the product in acetone and allowing that to evaporate will get rid of practically all of the heptane residue. You may well end up with goo instead of crystals however, since acetone is hygroscopic (picks up water from the atmosphere).

Your heptane is probably largely n-heptane, although it could be a narrow-range fraction of naphtha with a boiling range centred on 98°C. A close look at the label or the SDS should clear this up.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

brokedownpalace10
#5 Posted : 9/25/2023 9:02:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Startex Xylene shows

CAS-No. Chemical Name Weight %
1330-20-7Mixed xylenes 90 - 100
100-41-4**Ethylbenzene 30 - 50
98-82-8**Cumene 0.1 - 1

on the SDS.

Do Ethylbenzene and Cumene (Isopropylbenzene?) evaporate completely?

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 9/26/2023 2:51:41 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

brokedownpalace10 wrote:
Startex Xylene shows

98-82-8**Cumene 0.1 - 1

on the SDS.

Given enough time they will, although cumene will leave some residue of its hydroperoxide which in turn decomposes to phenol under certain conditions. The hydroperoxide could in principle contribute to the oxidation of DMT. Another of its breakdown products, 2-phenyl-2-propanol, is highly likely to be an allergen.

Finally, the arithmetic of those chemical composition values is bending my brain a bit! Is it perhaps 3.0 - 5.0 for ethylbenzene?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

brokedownpalace10
#7 Posted : 9/26/2023 3:41:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
brokedownpalace10 wrote:
Startex Xylene shows

98-82-8**Cumene 0.1 - 1

on the SDS.

Given enough time they will, although cumene will leave some residue of its hydroperoxide which in turn decomposes to phenol under certain conditions. The hydroperoxide could in principle contribute to the oxidation of DMT. Another of its breakdown products, 2-phenyl-2-propanol, is highly likely to be an allergen.

Finally, the arithmetic of those chemical composition values is bending my brain a bit! Is it perhaps 3.0 - 5.0 for ethylbenzene?

I know, right? I figured it had to be a typo as well, but I cut and pasted it accurately.

Would that be an issue to use? Is phenol an issue? After using Naptha, it pulls a little more.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 9/26/2023 4:50:10 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It should be fine if you extract into acid immediately after pulling. Maybe add a pinch of ascorbic to counteract the (traces of) peroxide. I'd be consider washing the xylene before use, first with ascorbic acid solution, then with saturated sodium carbonate [edit: 5% sodium hydroxide - see below], just in case of cumene peroxides in the former case and phenol in the latter.

Reading a bit more about phenol here, we can see that the trace amounts concerned are likely to be largely harmless since it occurs as a natural metabolic byproduct in humans. Still its toxicity and corrosive nature at above trace levels should not be ignored. If you can minimise an impurity, it's general best to take appropriate steps to do so.

brokedownpalace10
#9 Posted : 9/26/2023 5:32:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
It should be fine if you extract into acid immediately after pulling. Maybe add a pinch of ascorbic to counteract the (traces of) peroxide. I'd be consider washing the xylene before use, first with ascorbic acid solution, then with saturated sodium carbonate [edit: 5% sodium hydroxide - see below], just in case of cumene peroxides in the former case and phenol in the latter.

Reading a bit more about phenol here, we can see that the trace amounts concerned are likely to be largely harmless since it occurs as a natural metabolic byproduct in humans. Still its toxicity and corrosive nature at above trace levels should not be ignored. If you can minimise an impurity, it's general best to take appropriate steps to do so.

I should have specified STB. Is there an easy way to accomplish that? What about using it for changa and water washing?

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 9/26/2023 5:47:12 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

brokedownpalace10 wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
It should be fine if you extract into acid immediately after pulling. Maybe add a pinch of ascorbic to counteract the (traces of) peroxide. I'd consider washing the xylene before use, first with ascorbic acid solution, then with saturated sodium carbonate [edit: 5% sodium hydroxide - see below], just in case of cumene peroxides in the former case and phenol in the latter.

I should have specified STB. Is there an easy way to accomplish that? What about using it for changa and water washing?

Eh, we seem to be at cross-purposes here, could you state your intentions more comprehensively from the beginning?

What I've suggested is that you clean up your xylene immediately prior to use.

A mini A/B would remove phenol from contaminated DMT, but only if you use sodium hydroxide for the base stage. Sodium carbonate is not strong enough to deprotonate phenol.

The way you basify your bark is neither here nor there, although of course lye-basified material (being the usual for STB) would also pull out the phenol.

brokedownpalace10
#11 Posted : 9/26/2023 5:59:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
brokedownpalace10 wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
It should be fine if you extract into acid immediately after pulling. Maybe add a pinch of ascorbic to counteract the (traces of) peroxide. I'd consider washing the xylene before use, first with ascorbic acid solution, then with saturated sodium carbonate [edit: 5% sodium hydroxide - see below], just in case of cumene peroxides in the former case and phenol in the latter.

Eh, we seem to be at cross-purposes here, could you state your intentions more comprehensively from the beginning?

What I've suggested is that you clean up your xylene immediately prior to use.

A mini A/B would remove phenol from contaminated DMT, but only if you use sodium hydroxide for the base stage. Sodium carbonate is not strong enough to deprotonate phenol.

The way you basify your bark is neither here nor there, although of course lye-basified material (being the usual for STB) would also pull out the phenol.

Sorry about that. I'm not a chemist, obviously

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 9/26/2023 7:15:50 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

brokedownpalace10 wrote:
Sorry about that. I'm not a chemist, obviously
No probs, I'm not much of one either!

vitriol
#13 Posted : 9/27/2023 7:32:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 9/28/2023 2:56:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Heptane is the official name for the 7-carbon, straight chain (unbranched) saturated hydrocarbon (alkane). The "n-" (for "normal) prefix is used to denote this since other prefixes such as iso- and neo- have been used to denote various chain-branching permutations. While this has been superseded by systematic nomenclature, the old trivial and semi-trivial names remain popular typically because they are shorter. A good example is "acetic/acetyl" being quicker and easier than "ethanoic/ethanoyl".

When it comes to the remaining 5%, firstly that's a maximum since the 95% value will be a minimum purtiy level for the heptane. Secondly, you need to check the SDS for what it might say about "residue on evaporation" or something similar. There should also be data on the boiling range. I'm not going to try to guess too hard about the purity specification for technical grade heptane, but it's likely to tie into working practices around what kinds of tank residues are acceptable during transport and storage. Isolating straight chain alkanes is relatively straightforward (from an industrial point of view) so my best guess would be that it's various methyl- and dimethyl- derivatives of pentane, hexane and heptane. Getting that last 5% out is the expensive bit!

Just be sure to do an evaporation test to see that your heptane evaporates cleanly. Think about where in the supply chain impurities may have the opportunity to enter.