CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A new idea for disposing of waste lye – DIY handmade soap Options

urchin444
#1 Posted : 8/4/2023 6:50:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys; A few months ago, I shared my experience of making handmade soap in the chat area, and some people seemed interested in it. I promised to write an article explaining this in detail in the next few days at that time. But sorry for the post delay till now. Let's start to explain the details in detail, I hope you like it, thank you.

At first I was like people, after using a/b tek or stb and dumping the waste lye down the drain, after doing this a few times, it dawned on me. I might be able to make handmade soap from waste lye.

So as to turn waste into treasure, lye may have certain impacts on the environment after it is discharged into the sewer, including infiltration into deep soil, destroying soil acid-base balance, causing species damage, and in areas where community sanitation policies are not properly handled (they may put these Sewage is discharged directly into the sea...)

It should be noted that I have never made handmade soap before, I just learned from an Internet article that the mixture of lye and fat will form a saponification reaction, so my finished product looks like It doesn't look pretty, but I can guarantee that it will definitely not affect the use.

Just do it, here I will show you the basic logic and steps of making handmade soap (the details of each person's method may be different, in terms of raw materials, everyone can use their own creativity lol)

The concept of saponification reaction and the steps of making soap:

Saponification reaction: Saponification reaction is a chemical reaction, typically used in the preparation of soap. It is a reaction between alkali and fats (or fatty acids), facilitated by heating and stirring the mixture.

In the saponification reaction, alkali (such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) reacts with the fatty acids present in the fats, breaking the ester bonds and producing glycerol and soap salts. Fatty acids in the fats are composed of glycerol and fatty acid molecules, While soap salts are the compounds that have cleansing properties.

This process involves an acid-base neutralization reaction between the alkaline and fatty acids, resulting in the formation of water and soap salts. Due to the hydrophilic nature of soap salts, they can absorb onto dirt in water and disperse and remove it from surfaces .

The saponification reaction is used not only in the manufacturing of traditional soaps but also widely applied in the production of cleansers, detergents, and personal care products.

The steps for making handmade soap are as follows:

1. Safety precautions: Ensure necessary safety precautions are taken before making handmade soap. Wear gloves, goggles, and long sleeves to protect against contact with chemicals such as lye.

2. Ingredient preparation: Select the desired oils, essential oils, and additives such as coconut oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, honey, or flower petals. Gather measuring cups, stirring sticks, containers, and molds.(Here I use coconut oil and flaxseed oil, soap made from coconut oil usually has good stain removal ability, and the soap will become harder after drying)

3. Determine the recipe: Based on the desired characteristics and purpose of the soap, determine a suitable recipe. The amounts and proportions of each oil used will affect the properties of the final product.

4. Lye solution: Using precise weighing tools, add the appropriate amount of lye (usually sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) to a certain amount of water, stirring until fully dissolved. Note that this process generates heat, so caution is required.

5. Heating the oils: Heat the selected oils to an appropriate temperature, usually between 40-50 degrees Celsius. Use a thermometer to ensure the oils are within the desired range.(This step can be ignored, we directly pour the oil into the lye, it should be noted that the ph value of the lye must be above 10, otherwise the saponification reaction will not be sufficient)

6. Mixing lye solution and oils: Slowly pour the lye solution into the heated oils while stirring to facilitate the mixing reaction. Continue stirring until the mixture reaches a light trace, where it starts to thicken and leaves trails.(This step is quite critical. You must mix the oil and lye thoroughly. You need to use a manual or electric mixer, which will greatly improve efficiency. I don’t have a mixer. For me, this colander can also be used achieve the same effect)

7. Additives and essential oils: Add fragrances, colors, and other additives as desired. Essential oils can be used to add scents, while natural dyes or food coloring can be added to adjust colors.

8. Pouring into molds: Pour the mixture into prepared molds. Tap the molds gently to eliminate air bubbles.

9. Curing: Allow the handmade soap to rest in the molds for 24 to 48 hours to solidify. Then remove the soap blocks from the molds and place them in a well-ventilated area for 4 to 6 weeks to allow them to fully cure and dry.

10. Cutting and storage: Cut the cured and dried soap blocks into desired shapes and sizes, and store them in a well-ventilated area to prevent premature moisture absorption.

Please note that making handmade soap involves handling chemicals and working with high temperatures, so it is important to follow safety guidelines and conduct the process in a suitable environment. If you are a beginner, it is recommended to refer to tutorials from professionals or participate in relevant workshops.

urchin444 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0335.JPG (2,869kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
Add herbs.png (833kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
When the world's first ship entered the sea, trade and piracy appeared at the same time ...

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

urchin444
#2 Posted : 8/4/2023 6:53:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It needs to be stirred to such an extent
stir.png (773kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
When the world's first ship entered the sea, trade and piracy appeared at the same time ...

urchin444
#3 Posted : 8/4/2023 6:58:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's what I've done the first few times, and this is how they'll look when they finally dry. I'm actually making handmade soaps for the first time, and ok, I admit they're ugly, but they work surprisingly well. lol
IMG_0322.JPG (3,074kb) downloaded 72 time(s).

urchin444
#4 Posted : 8/4/2023 7:23:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to share your DMT soap here to make your best efforts for our ecological environment. Thanks for readingThumbs up

urchin444
#5 Posted : 8/4/2023 7:26:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It is explained here that this is just a very simple idea for disposing of waste lye, and you can diverge your thinking. I believe that waste lye is more than just soap. For reducing environmental damage, you can also add acid to the lye and then discharge, which is the emission method advocated by the forum, and it is also reliable and safe when you don't want to make soap.Love

jungleheart
#6 Posted : 8/4/2023 4:47:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Omg! This is too cute urchin444! The little hearts are so adorable and I like that they are black.

I love looking at different soap and always think about collecting one. Sounds like a really fun hobby. I like that you didn't waste the lye. Thanks so much for sharing and please share any more soap you make!

urchin444
#7 Posted : 8/5/2023 6:13:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jungleheart wrote:
Omg! This is too cute urchin444! The little hearts are so adorable and I like that they are black.

I love looking at different soap and always think about collecting one. Sounds like a really fun hobby. I like that you didn't waste the lye. Thanks so much for sharing and please share any more soap you make!

Hi,Jungle Heart, I'm glad you like them. I think the reason for "Black Heart" is because I added a lot of alkali, haha.

Soap made in the raw way is actually good for human skin, and now I basically don't use other cleansing products, other than shampoo.

The impact of industrial soaps, bath lotions, etc. on human skin in fact needs further research (after all, the manufacturing and production process standards of each region are different) For example, in China, cheap body cleaning products are often made of chemical raw materials, which is very harmful to the human body; With handmade soaps, you can take control yourself on the raw materials, such as using some really great oil bases, lavender essential oil, laurel essential oil, olive oil, rose oil, coconut oil, hemp seed oil and other high-quality oils. These oils also have many medicinal properties.

Thank you again for liking it, and I'll share more of my personal production here.

Have a nice day

jungleheart
#8 Posted : 8/5/2023 6:18:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It makes sense you would want to be extra careful with ingredients if there are harmful chemicals used in your region. I like your thinking towards using essential oils and materials with medicinal properties. I would definitely like to look at cute soaps made from DMT leftovers on the nexus. Please keep posting! Especially interested to see what ingredients you use next Smile

urchin444
#9 Posted : 8/6/2023 12:12:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jungleheart wrote:
It makes sense you would want to be extra careful with ingredients if there are harmful chemicals used in your region. I like your thinking towards using essential oils and materials with medicinal properties. I would definitely like to look at cute soaps made from DMT leftovers on the nexus. Please keep posting! Especially interested to see what ingredients you use next Smile

Love Love Thank you, I will, and hope you can all use this method and enjoy it.