«PREV234
Check what your solvent contains here Options

Brennendes Wasser
#61 Posted : 5/19/2020 7:09:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

albertobalboa wrote:
hello
i have tryed 2 extracction wth the sae naphtha, andwhen i hoing tp eveporae, it never get fully evaporated. it always get like a brown fat snd never gets clean or dry.
i thinking culd be becouse thhr kine of naphtha i uin. im reading nowth componets in it , adsa it has
hydrocarbons and c9 aromatics
coukd anybody help me ?
thanks
Alberto

Same case as with HillyBill and for any other people having the same problem/question:

C9 is too high, you need C6-C7. C9 means Isomers of nonane (and not hexane/heptane) or even worse trimethyl-benzene (if aromatic and not aliphatic) and these have again not the optimal solubility profile and will also not really freeze-precipitate. Therefore Alberto tried to evaporate it, but C9 means the boiling point is super high and therefore it will always be just a slimy brown residue.
Also maybe he not only got the "bad molecule size" C9, but also possibly aromatic hydrocarbons and not aliphatic. Then the boiling point is easily even 20 % higher and it will catch up even more unwanted stuff.
So definetly always check these 2 factors: Aliphatic and C6-C7 aka. Hexane-Heptane-Isomers aka. Boiling point somewhere 60 - 100 °C.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Jees
#62 Posted : 5/19/2020 7:29:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One can search on the term 'panel wipe' products where you live, e.g. car detailing, to wipe just before spray coating, those are fast evaporating liquids without residue.
Mind that these can be alcohols too like IPA, but if you hit jackpot then it's an aliphatic naphtha. If there are only trace amounts of aromatics then this is no problem.

Where I live, cellulose thinner or synthetic thinner means aromatics, generally toluene, which are not good for freeze precipitation as mentioned.

Try to get the MSDS data of a target product, this must contain a CAS number or EINECS or EC number that point you right to the nature of the product, google will help with that no problem.

Good luck!

makedmtnotmeth
#63 Posted : 1/19/2021 1:05:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Brennendes Wasser wrote:
Same case as with HillyBill and for any other people having the same problem/question:

C9 is too high, you need C6-C7. C9 means Isomers of nonane (and not hexane/heptane) or even worse trimethyl-benzene (if aromatic and not aliphatic) and these have again not the optimal solubility profile and will also not really freeze-precipitate. Therefore Alberto tried to evaporate it, but C9 means the boiling point is super high and therefore it will always be just a slimy brown residue.
Also maybe he not only got the "bad molecule size" C9, but also possibly aromatic hydrocarbons and not aliphatic. Then the boiling point is easily even 20 % higher and it will catch up even more unwanted stuff.
So definetly always check these 2 factors: Aliphatic and C6-C7 aka. Hexane-Heptane-Isomers aka. Boiling point somewhere 60 - 100 °C.

Hi Brennendes Wasser scince I'm not a full member yet I can't write you a pm, and this threat seems kinda fitting for my question so here we go :

I've been searching for a good NPS for quite some time now and the only solvent I found that evaped without any residue was a lighter fluid called "Jean Claude Feuerzeugbenzin - Extra Rein", but unfortunatly it is kinda expensive at 3€ per 125ml, it smells pretty strange compared to other solvents and the boiling point is really high.

So I did a bit of research and found out about Wundbenzin (Petrolehter) being an awesome solvent for extraction, so I bought some Wundbenzin DAB standard in the Aphoteke Smile (Pharmacy).
But it failed the evap test leaving an oily residue, even more than some of the lighter fluids I tested. It's definetly more than just a watermark and if you swipe your finger over the surface where it's evaped your finger gets wet.
I looked online on amazon and all the products I found got reviews saying it leaves oily residue aswell, one brand sold on amazon is even the same I bought in the pharmacy (from fischar).
So this leaves me confused... I read many many threads recommending Wundbenzin.
Can you recommend me a good source for clean Wundbenzin? Or any other fitting solvent?
Thanks for your time.

12Emil34
#64 Posted : 2/15/2021 7:13:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

makedmtnotmeth wrote:
Brennendes Wasser wrote:

Hi Brennendes Wasser scince I'm not a full member yet I can't write you a pm, and this threat seems kinda fitting for my question so here we go :

I've been searching for a good NPS for quite some time now and the only solvent I found that evaped without any residue was a lighter fluid called "Jean Claude Feuerzeugbenzin - Extra Rein", but unfortunatly it is kinda expensive at 3€ per 125ml, it smells pretty strange compared to other solvents and the boiling point is really high.

So I did a bit of research and found out about Wundbenzin (Petrolehter) being an awesome solvent for extraction, so I bought some Wundbenzin DAB standard in the Aphoteke Smile (Pharmacy).
But it failed the evap test leaving an oily residue, even more than some of the lighter fluids I tested. It's definetly more than just a watermark and if you swipe your finger over the surface where it's evaped your finger gets wet.
I looked online on amazon and all the products I found got reviews saying it leaves oily residue aswell, one brand sold on amazon is even the same I bought in the pharmacy (from fischar).
So this leaves me confused... I read many many threads recommending Wundbenzin.
Can you recommend me a good source for clean Wundbenzin? Or any other fitting solvent?
Thanks for your time.

Hi I got the same stuff from my local german pharmacy and I found it on amazon but it does not work because it eveporates way to quick while stirring. I mean it only got a boiling range of 40/60°C. I ordered yesterday two litres of this stuff:

https://cdn02.plentymark...SDB/Reinigungsbenzin.pdf

but I guess it has to long hydrocarbons in it (C7-C9) and got a boiling range of 100/140°C

12Emil34
#65 Posted : 2/15/2021 7:16:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My question is now where do I get some C6-C7 hydrocarbons in germany.
Brennendes Wasser was benutzt du?

Uhrzeit23!
#66 Posted : 11/7/2021 6:20:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi

Im from Austria and I use Wundbenzin
https://www.medicalcorne...smittel-versch-groessen/

You find it also on Amazon

gratefuldead420
#67 Posted : 1/13/2022 2:16:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I didn’t know there was different kinds of naphtha I always used VM&P naphtha and it worked even lighter fluid worked one time but it had a strange taste and was yellow goo cause I didn’t freeze. But I looked it up and VM&P naphtha is an aliphatic hydrocarbon solvent mixture distilled from petroleum. I don’t exactly understand what that means but my chemistry level is basically from reading high school level stuff never got to go to chemistry in high school because I’m dumb with math.

unclebob
#68 Posted : 9/10/2022 4:10:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

12Emil34 wrote:

I've generally had good success with solvents available from chemistry suppliers. For Germany, an online search with "Chemikalien kaufen" (buy chemicals) gives plenty of useful results. You can get "Benzin 80-110" for less than 30€ per liter (a mixture of C6 and C7, evaporates between 80 and 110 degrees centigrade). If you want to go lighter than that, you can also find several shops selling "Petrolether" (also sold as "Petroleumbenzin" ).

Love,
Bob

downwardsfromzero
#69 Posted : 11/18/2022 11:53:25 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

OrangeEnergy wrote:
Would just like to show my appreciation for this thread and all the help.
I've found that using the CAS product number is an absolute godsend.
I'd been looking at Fiddies Naptha Thinners which sound perfect, eh? Fiddies Naptha thinners
Well, CAS shows that whilst it might sound great, it is in fact utterly useless for freeze precipitation as it is a mixture of methylbenzene isomers C8-C10! Fiddies Naptha thinners CAS profile
I'm still looking for something really good in the UK.

Good call, you could probably use that for a cactus extraction though.

My first ever extraction was done using BBQ lighting fluid from a certain store beginning with W and ending with -sons. Being a product intended for combustion, it wasn't necessarily clean evaporating so I recrystallised the extracted material from a small amount of light naphtha. The source for that, photographic film cleaning fluid, is now unfortunately obsolete. I used to know the various ID numbers by heart, particularly the EINECS and EC numbers for "naphtha, hydrotreated, light" and "naphtha, hydrotreated, medium" but since moving countries and finding an easy otc, off-the-shelf option I've junked that information.

Having been out of the country for a while, I'm not entirely sure of the state of play regarding naphtha products but you might want to consider something like brake cleaning fluid and bear in mind the example above that you can fall back on having a smaller amount of cleaner, lighter solvent if you really only can find the heavier stuff in the right quantities for the initial extraction.

Of course, it's always better to avoid getting impurities into the process rather than having to clean them up afterwards so feel free to come back with further questions about whatever you might find next and I'll keep an eye out for you.

Welcome to the Nexus!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Spirit_bender-420
#70 Posted : 10/19/2023 8:28:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

unclebob wrote:
12Emil34 wrote:

I've generally had good success with solvents available from chemistry suppliers. For Germany, an online search with "Chemikalien kaufen" (buy chemicals) gives plenty of useful results. You can get "Benzin 80-110" for less than 30€ per liter (a mixture of C6 and C7, evaporates between 80 and 110 degrees centigrade). If you want to go lighter than that, you can also find several shops selling "Petrolether" (also sold as "Petroleumbenzin" ).

Love,
Bob

Isnt Petroleumbenzin a mixture of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons? Not making it fittable as it wouldn't fully evaporate?

downwardsfromzero
#71 Posted : 10/20/2023 12:13:01 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Spirit_bender-420 wrote:
unclebob wrote:
12Emil34 wrote:

Love,
Bob

Isnt Petroleumbenzin a mixture of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons? Not making it fittable as it wouldn't fully evaporate?

The content of aromatics will be shown on the safety data sheet. Seeing as it's called "Petrolether" that strongly suggests it will evaporate easily and completely. Waschbenzin is still readily available and a good few other things can be found if you look in the right corner of the Drogeriemarkt or the Baumarkt.

Another possibility I've found recently is Bremsenreiniger - brake cleaning spray. It comes in an aerosol canister, which I'm not entirely happy about (since a certain proportion of what I'm purchasing simply evaporates, being butane) but the remainder of the solvent is light aliphatic liquid hydrocarbons.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Spirit_bender-420
#72 Posted : 10/20/2023 6:14:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

unclebob wrote:
if you look in the right corner of the Drogeriemarkt or the Baumarkt.

Another possibility I've found recently is Bremsenreiniger - brake cleaning spray. It comes in an aerosol canister, which I'm not entirely happy about (since a certain proportion of what I'm purchasing simply evaporates, being butane) but the remainder of the solvent is light aliphatic liquid hydrocarbons.

I am not a German citizen, I just wanted to know how bad is it to have aromatic hydrocarbons present.

In fact, I cant find Waschbenzin or Wundhbenzin here, I have looked through some store that sells products for conservation and restoration, and have found two different products, one labelled as Commercial Hexane Benzine and other labelled as Commercial Heptane, given that they show no brand it is impossible to do the msds search on them, does it make it therefore impossible to know what is present or is it because they are pure hexane and pure heptane? If it is pure heptane would it be a good choice?

Other than that I have solely found benzine sold for various processes, for that I have been able to do the msds search, however I can't figure out what this means (Hydrocarbons, C6,isoalkanes, n-hexane < 5%). Essentially it is composed of C6, hydrocarbons and Isoalkanes and only 5% is composed o n-hexane? If so that does not really tell me much about how good of a solvent it would be, correct?

I am sorry for these two surely basic questions, I am just kind of lost as it is my first time reading through chemical components. Any help is appreciated

«PREV234