We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
[Coalition for Entheogenic Liberty] Options

CatholicPsychonaut
#41 Posted : 7/28/2012 4:12:08 PM

"Nature loves courage"

Quote:
I know that marketing DMT as anything other than a life-shattering psychedelic drug would seem pretty irresponsible to most people here, but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility for how DMT could be effectively integrated into society as we know it. We could at least develop a commercial-quality system for DMT administration: Something sleek and shiny. A fancy yet affordable piece of machinery that a politician or even a snobby aristocrat wouldn't mind having in the corner of his or her living room.

There are quite a few products already out there which mimic the design you are talking about, and they're mostly marketed toward the medical MJ crowd. The problem with most of these is that the cost is too high to warrant simply "trying" them out. Even the cheap, "portable" ones run 80-100 bucks, and that's a lot of dough to shell out just to find out it doesn't really work for spice, which is such a testy little girl to vape properly without wasteful burning or re-condensation somewhere in the apparatus. You want someething that will heat the product evenly, without direct heat, and which has a VERY short distance between the heat source/product and your lungs to avoid recondensation.

Perhaps you are right that we just need to engineer something ourselves. The problem is, methinks, it isn't going to look the way you want it to look. It isn't going to look like a high-end table-top MJ vape. It's going to look like the GVG or look like a crack pipe or look like "the machine" these things work so well for our purposes because they're pretty close to perfect in terms of being what we need.

Do you know any electrical engineers who might be open to working on something with you? If you were to design something as effective but less breakable than the GVG which didn't require an external flame to work, you'd make a mint off the idea from our fellow nexians, I'm sure.
"Christians often ask why God does not speak to them, as they believed God did in former days. When I hear such questions, it always makes me think of the Rabbi who was asked how it could be that God was manifest to people in the olden days whereas nowadays nobody ever sees God. The rabbi replied, 'Nowadays there is no longer anybody who can bow low enough.'"
--Carl Jung

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

r2pi
#42 Posted : 7/28/2012 5:55:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

For God's sake (figuratively speaking)... you are talking about a psychedelic drug and you're trying to manufacture consumer desire for some apparatus to administer this psychedelic drug?

Sorry -- that, to me, is like trying to sell swizzle sticks in swaziland. The appropriate response from your target market should be "wtf?".

Sorry - the whole point of of psychedelic drugs is to destroy attachment to cognititive convention, including social convention, and this very much includes consumerism. To appeal to consumerist material desire... anyone who is attracted by this has obviously not had a single psychedelic experience. Or at least, not one which they have adequately integrated.

hixidom
#43 Posted : 7/29/2012 3:03:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

r2pi, I don't imagine this being a consumerist endeavor. It may cost money, but that's just incidental. People won't buy a sleek vaporizing device just because it looks cool. My idea is more so to present the DMT experience as a completely legitimate/real paranormal experience, I was thinking that we would need the apparatus to look as legitimate as we claim the experience to be. And I don't particularly want people to have to buy this apparatus either. My dream of how this scenario would take place is something like the following:

A person finds an ad somewhere about interdimensional travel and alien contact and make an appointment with the add placer. When they arrive at the facility, they are briefed on the process they have come to undergo and are then brought to a room with bright lights over a chair in the center that sits inside an intricate machine that consists of a large floor unit box connected to a lever with a large metal skull cap helmet covered with metal coils and rods sticking out with cables that run to a trunk-line that leaves the room. The helmet is also connected to an "oxygen system which is only there in case the subject passes out". The subject is placed in the chair and is left alone. The machine is turned on and makes all sorts of strange machine noises, the lights begin to flicker and dim, and the subject undergoes interdimensional travel and makes contact with aliens.

So my idea is not that DMT administration should be consumerist, but that it should be largely theatrical. You also probably noticed that the subject in the example above is drugged through the oxygen system without knowing about it. That will strike a nerve with a lot of people, but it just goes back to what I'm said in the earlier post about advertising the experience rather than the drug itself. The fact that a certain chemical is needed for interdimensional travel is just incidental. For all the subject knows, it actually happens by means of transcranial magnetic fields (which are probably more dangerous than DMT, in reality).

Things like aliens and interdimensional travel are already familiar to modern society. What modern society won't believe, and what we don't even understand, is that a drug can lead to these things. So my other point is that the administration of DMT can be reformatted and embedded within a method of interdimensinal travel/alien contact that modern society is more familiar with and thus conducive to.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

PREV123