We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV23456NEXT»
How does your cactus garden grow? (Cactus pic thread) Options

downwardsfromzero
#61 Posted : 4/29/2022 9:39:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Egg shells can attract rats, so some people roast them in the oven first.

Endlessness - those black marks appear sometimes, they're a kind of infection that Trichocereus spp. are more or less prone to. Some of my specimens get it during the cold, dark, damp winter. I'm not sure if it's bacterial or fungal but I've generally dusted it with sulfur powder if it seemed to be increasing too much. Other times where it's stayed small I've gotten away without doing anything to it.

The black spots at or near the meristem have IME been unproblematic outside of the optics. Black spots lower down the stem seem indicative of a more virulent disease which IIRC is associated with incorrect fertilizer applicartion. Either way, it may be useful to think back to what fertilzers you may have applied in the past months.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Grey Fox
#62 Posted : 4/30/2022 6:40:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
awesome cact y'all Smile

Does anybody know what can be damaging the tip of some of my cact and what I can do about it?

I've only seen tip damage like that on my cacti from cold damage in the winter. It can take a few days or longer for the damage to be visible after a really cold night. In the spring they grow right through the damage, as long as it is not too severe.

Slugs can also cause damage like that to the tip, though I have no personal experience with them.

In my yard leaf footed bugs will attack the growth tips. They can cause the tips to terminate, and a new pup will form on the tip. They cause some scarring to the tips. But leaf footed bugs don't cause those large black areas of damage like that.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Jagube
#63 Posted : 4/30/2022 7:19:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Slugs and snails like to eat the growing tips, which causes my cacti to pup at the top. But when the damage heals it doesn't go black like that, it calluses over like any cut.

Maybe it's cold damage causing rot.

endlessness
#64 Posted : 5/1/2022 9:53:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Honestly, I think it might be a mix of both.. In some cases those black spots could be from cold damage, but at the same time I have seen some snails and insects on the cact which could have done some damage too. I guess I gotta hedge my bets and try diatomaceous earth as well as getting/building a better greenhouse for them before end of the year.

Thankfully out of the 200 or so columns growing there, only 4 or so have some minor damage.

Wolfnippletip
#65 Posted : 5/2/2022 3:20:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not wanting to step on An!cca's post on the potency of the TBM A/B variety in another thread I thought I'd post here a pic of this one I have. I bought it because it seems to have both A and B. Is anyone else aware of this combo? I keep thinking I'll see another example but haven't yet. Not sure if it's all that rare.
Wolfnippletip attached the following image(s):
cactusbridgemonstoraab.jpg (147kb) downloaded 248 time(s).
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Grey Fox
#66 Posted : 5/5/2022 3:45:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wolf thats a tricky one. It kind of looks like the short form, but new growth is etiolated. OR it could be long form but older growth was stunted. My guess is that the latter is more likely. I think the long form can look that way.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

downwardsfromzero
#67 Posted : 5/7/2022 4:46:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

IME the short form doesn't get long, at least not like the long form does with those spike-free snakelike bits. My TBMs are only short form though so I haven't had the chance to observe the behavior of the long form. Your specimens do give the impression that the long form can get short, Wolfie.

What I did find with mine was that they were longer when I first got them but subsequent new growth had a tendency to be shorter and chunkier. I think there may be something that cactus cultivators do to force longer growth. Mine were in a shallow pot at first - a deeper pot has made them get much chunkier, and with hefty spines too.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

downwardsfromzero
#68 Posted : 5/7/2022 5:26:28 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Back to Endlessness' discoloration issue, I just stumbled across this snippet as another factor to consider:
Grey Fox wrote:
With bridgesii if you are overwatering you will usually start to see small black spots appearing on the cactus.
Here.

EDIT: Ah, but the discussion continued:
O_o wrote:
There are claims that there are multiple forms of the clumping monstrose bridgesii.
It's very difficult to over water bridgesii but it has been reported in places with several meters of annual rainfall. You can water them daily during the growth season without problems as long as the roots can breathe.

(etc.)

Voidmatrix
#69 Posted : 5/29/2022 10:18:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

One of my minions invited me to a farmer's market where I acquired these lovely specimens.

Love

One love
Voidmatrix attached the following image(s):
Love I.jpg (2,705kb) downloaded 175 time(s).
Love II.jpg (2,793kb) downloaded 174 time(s).
Love III.jpg (2,247kb) downloaded 174 time(s).
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Wolfnippletip
#70 Posted : 5/30/2022 12:28:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Happy Shiny Cackatooses! Good find VM! Very happy

What were they sold as? With Cristata form I have a hard time differentiating between species.

Voidmatrix
#71 Posted : 5/30/2022 12:31:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wolfnippletip wrote:
Happy Shiny Cackatooses! Good find VM! Very happy

What were they sold as? With Cristata form I have a hard time differentiating between species.

They were sold simply as San Pedros at both booths I visited. I plan to be staring at a lot of cactus pictures in the coming days to see if I can narrow anything down. And because it's fun.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Wolfnippletip
#72 Posted : 6/6/2022 4:40:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like my "Scopulicola x Juuls" is going to flower this week. Very happy
cactus2022.juulsbud1.jpg (123kb) downloaded 135 time(s).
cactus2022juulsbud2.jpg (90kb) downloaded 136 time(s).
cactus2022juulsbud3.jpg (71kb) downloaded 132 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#73 Posted : 6/6/2022 6:18:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's really exciting. Make sure to post when it fully blooms Love

One love

ShamanisticVibes
#74 Posted : 6/8/2022 8:52:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Pretty sure this is a TPPC, a year old. The first seed that I planted that made it to adolescence. I had a bunch of Macros, but when I moved, I lost them. Like 10 macro starts just disappeared somewhere in the move.

Melvin; a gift from a friend.

Juules' Giant base, Lophophora Williamsii graft. The graft was done about a year ago. Has anyone ever had a Loph graft that went columnar? I'm super confused about this, never seen a Loph grow like that.

This one is a mystery to me, a friend left it behind after staying with me for a couple of months and only referred to it as San Pedro. It's clearly a crest or quasi crest, but I'm not great at taxonomy. Any ideas?

Trichocereus peruvianus quasi crested. Also a gift from a friend. One of my favorites, but it hasn't grown much since I got it, and it seems to have an issue rooting, which is why the rocks are in the top, to keep in from leaning.

A bunch of pereskiopsis that I am growing out for grafting stock

Thanks for checking out my few little guys here. I'm new to growing cacti; only been doing it for a year, so any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated.
May we continue to be blessed

lobo
#75 Posted : 6/9/2022 10:17:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This are some Trichos i have (Peruvianus, Pachanoi, Bridgesii, etc)

_Trip_
#76 Posted : 6/10/2022 12:31:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ShamanisticVibes wrote:
Lophophora Williamsii graft. The graft was done about a year ago. Has anyone ever had a Loph graft that went columnar? I'm super confused about this, never seen a Loph grow like that.

Likely a light issue so it's grown elongated to reach more light.
Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

ShamanisticVibes
#77 Posted : 6/10/2022 4:03:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

_Trip_ wrote:
ShamanisticVibes wrote:
Lophophora Williamsii graft. The graft was done about a year ago. Has anyone ever had a Loph graft that went columnar? I'm super confused about this, never seen a Loph grow like that.

Likely a light issue so it's grown elongated to reach more light.

Thanks, I'll move it somewhere where the light is better. I was under the impression that Lophophera liked shadier spots.
May we continue to be blessed

Wolfnippletip
#78 Posted : 6/10/2022 4:29:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Flower big as my hand Smile
cactus22scopejuulsflower.jpg (61kb) downloaded 86 time(s).

_Trip_
#79 Posted : 6/10/2022 4:32:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ShamanisticVibes wrote:

Thanks, I'll move it somewhere where the light is better. I was under the impression that Lophophera liked shadier spots.

They do, but they also need a certain amount of light too.
Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

downwardsfromzero
#80 Posted : 6/10/2022 8:29:29 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

_Trip_ wrote:
ShamanisticVibes wrote:

They do, but they also need a certain amount of light too.

While we're at it, "Melvin" is looking a tad etiolated as well.

«PREV23456NEXT»