DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2324252627NEXT»
The Art of Art Van D'lay Options

Bill Cipher
#481 Posted : 4/5/2022 11:00:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you much.

I have shown a bit in metaverse spaces, but to be honest, I haven't really been all that interested in any of that (just yet anyway). They've all been so clunky and Minecrafty, but more often than not when I'm offered a venue to show my work, I usually take it. It just feels like a novelty thing to me at this early stage, but I'm sure it's here to stay, so my guess is that it will evolve into something smoother and cooler before long.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Bill Cipher
#482 Posted : 4/6/2022 7:03:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some more Chingons.

You can only fight him once. Choose wisely.
Bill Cipher attached the following image(s):
Chingon - WIP56.jpg (369kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Chingon - WIP57.jpg (618kb) downloaded 236 time(s).
Chingon - WIP58.jpg (400kb) downloaded 236 time(s).
Chingon - WIP59.jpg (372kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Chingon - WIP60.jpg (548kb) downloaded 235 time(s).

jungleheart
#483 Posted : 4/7/2022 3:39:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hopefully I will have some coins in the coffer for this NFT release! Want my first NFT to be a piece of yours.

Cheers.
JH

Bill Cipher
#484 Posted : 4/7/2022 4:29:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jungleheart wrote:
Hopefully I will have some coins in the coffer for this NFT release! Want my first NFT to be a piece of yours.

Cheers.
JH

That's very nice, jungleheart. I appreciate it and will most definitely keep you posted!

Bill Cipher
#485 Posted : 4/7/2022 9:10:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I also made a whole bunch of backgrounds, such as for Pandemic Chingon here, and Falling into a Pool of Primordial Ooze Chingon, before deciding to go in a different direction with urban 3D environment scenes (and letting someone else make them).
Chingon - WIP121.jpg (3,282kb) downloaded 190 time(s).
Chingon - WIP140.jpg (2,773kb) downloaded 190 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#486 Posted : 4/14/2022 3:25:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

And these are closer to the direction I'm going in now, although I'm working with the new base mesh and it looks a little bit different. But most of his tats will be this kind free flowing stream of consciousness type doodling, and a bunch will be in full color.

Getting ready to pass it off for a proof of concept render to pitch to a new would be front guy. If it's a no, I do it myself. One way or the other, I'm finishing this.
Tribal BodyWIP7.jpg (883kb) downloaded 169 time(s).
Tribal BodyWIP8.jpg (848kb) downloaded 170 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#487 Posted : 4/16/2022 6:16:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just realized that it was a year to the day yesterday that I first began this thread.

I would like to thank everyone who has followed along and indulged me in sharing my work, and especially those who have engaged directly, as this inspires me to work even harder.
The Art of Art Van D'lay.jpg (2,914kb) downloaded 152 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#488 Posted : 4/18/2022 9:31:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Back to my incredulity over the world of NFTs:

This PFP project - https://moonbirds.xyz/ - just dropped the day before yesterday. They sold 10,000 pieces @ 2.5ETH within the first 24 hours - and for anyone without an ETH tracker handy, that comes to $30,000,000.

They have, in fact, racked up $148,000,000 in total revenue in just the past two days (inclusive of secondary market sales), netting the founders a cool $83MM so far.

All from pixelated cartoon owls.

What a crazy world.

Edit: Now a couple hours later, per Coinbase, they have surpassed $200,000,000 in total sales. The floor price for secondary sales is now over 21ETH.

I mean, that’s just insane. It doesn’t even seem like such a thing could be possible, but it is actually happening right now.

Who knows how high it could go?

Icyseeker
#489 Posted : 4/19/2022 2:02:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

At least NFT's give cryptocurrency an actual purpose. I don't really know much about them but view them as just digital art.

Keep up the good work! I am amazed by the talent and inspired by the work ethic.
May wisdom permeate through your life.

"What is survival if you do not survive whole. Ask the Bene Teilax that. What if you no longer hear the music of life. Memories are not enough unless they call you to noble purpose." God Emperor Leto ii

"The only past which endures lies wordlessly within you." God Emperor Leto ii

Bill Cipher
#490 Posted : 4/19/2022 5:49:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

1:1 NFTs (which are all I’ve participated in thus far) are really just digital art. These PFP projects, however, are a totally different animal. They're less about art than commerce, really - or the creation of lucrative social currencies with an expectation of future returns.

To that end - the project I mentioned yesterday - https://moonbirds.xyz/ - has gone from $200MM sold to $300MM in less than 24 hours. That's $300MM in four days. The floor price for the least rare of them is now over $50K, and one sold yesterday on the secondary market for $410K. This is all completely unprecedented.

It's bizarre, and honestly, a little bit scary. I don't really understand how such a thing is possible, but the founders have been entrenched in crypto for a long time and are all extremely well connected. And that is really what people are purchasing - access to them and their community - membership in a club full of people with massive wealth and influence, and most importantly, early access to future projects (which can mean generational wealth).

It's just hard to reconcile in the face of such staggering sums how there can be so much liquidity in a world where people starve. I'm not smart enough or so well informed as to understand the larger implications, but it's a fascinating use case unfolding in real time and I'll definitely be watching closely. I just have to wonder about the ultimate cost of all this, because capitalism is really a zero sum game, and this just feels to me like Mad Max style end of the world capitalism meets Bob Guccioni's Caligula.

Voidmatrix
#491 Posted : 5/26/2022 1:56:18 PM

Surrender and BE free

Welcoming committeeModerator

Bill! Bill? Where'd you go? Very happy

Hopefully you're balls deep in hyperspace and bringing back exciting and enticing artistic elements for your art projects that I enjoy so much.

Also, I vote for a deadlocked chingon. Laughing

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#492 Posted : 5/26/2022 8:08:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey there, Voidmatrix. Thanks for checking in. I've just been taking a little break from interacting online. Not much from me on any social media as of late either.

When I started posting my work here last year, I had a big backlog of stuff to show and discuss on a daily basis, which may have bolstered the illusion that I don't work at a snail's pace, but I assure you I really do - or rather, everything I make takes a whole bunch of time regardless of my speed. The faster I get, the deeper I dig, so the process never gets speedier. I put in a pretty steady four hours a day on average (which is as much as I've got in me, with a full time job and family), but on that schedule the Chingons took me six months (inclusive of 7 videos I never showed anywhere), and that experience just beat the shit out of me. I'm still digging out of that hole.

The past three months I've been working on Version 2.0, which is bigger and badder all around. The working title is City of Angels, and I suspect that you're gonna like it. The character is even more tattoo driven than he was before, but it's all 100% free flowing psychedelic noodling - closer to a lot of my blatantly trip friendly work than the Chingons' jailhouse look - with the added benefit that he's rigged and ready for all kinds of post-sculpting fun (which means an infinite number of posing options and animation possibilities). He'll be ready to hand off to the coder/renderer/animator within the next few days for some tests, but I also want to make full color options for 1 out of every 10 of him, so that will take me another month at minimum. The whole thing should start coming into better focus within the next few weeks. I'll share some shots as soon as I can. For now, I'm keeping a lid on it.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been feeling a bit discouraged as of late though. I'm not selling shit. The whole Chingon fiasco set me back, and now I feel boxed in by unsold inventory on both of the two platforms I'm on. I've tried repeatedly to get onto Superrare, which is where I feel I best belong and would be most likely to really break through, but for whatever reason they're just not feeling me, so I'm in some kind of weird limbo until I can find a way to market this project and generate some attention.

But it's not just sales. I'm weary of grinding away for three months, six months, nine months, a year, then posting a piece on social media to crickets in response. I'm tired of watching others slapping low effort shit together, selling for massive amounts of money and getting hailed as toasts of the town - all while remaining invisible myself, with no hint of much else on the horizon. I do like posting here quite a bit, but let's be honest - aside from you and a handful of others, nobody's all that into it. And half of the responses I get here are from knuckleheads wanting to relitigate old grievances, so sometimes I'm really just happier retreating into the work.

Because the work is always, ALWAYS rewarding, and in ways I have a hard time even grasping enough to articulate. I get swept up and carried away everyday, almost as if I'm somehow a 3rd party observer to the process, or a drone carrying out the whims of each piece as they reveal their intentions. Like a reverse engineered DMT experience, I am architect and passenger simultaneously, instinctively giving expression to whatever burps up from my subconscious. And in that respect I don't really even need Hyperspace anymore. All that's ever required to connect to it is to sit down and play at my tablet. I'm still improving (slowly but surely), as my reach perpetually exceeds my grasp, so I'm excited to see what's revealed going forward. I've still got lots to do.

When it all comes together and I'm in the flow, that is some powerful mojo - as powerful as the experiences which gave birth to it all and left me no choice but to do it.

It's a magical fucking feeling, my friend. Regardless of whatever strokes and rewards that may come from it (or not), I feel lucky everyday to have found it. It really is the best part of me.

Voidmatrix
#493 Posted : 5/27/2022 2:48:01 AM

Surrender and BE free

Bro, the closest thing I get to using social media is this forum Laughing I definitely get it.

I felt frustration for you in your struggles with the Chingon projects with how much you were jacked around by people who refuse to imagine the time investment, focus, and dedication it takes to produce quality art such as yours. They were short-sided and negligent in their considerations. They single-mindedly have their eyes on whatever prize they seek, choosing to ignore the casualties that come from them gaining their spoils. Such is the dog eat dog world we live in.

I am now definitely looking forward to the expansion and revamping of this project. I was feeling all of the ones that you have shared so far. And I can tell that your process takes a great deal of time because I tend to zoom into most of them, and you even line the skin with irregular skin tessellation! The first time I noticed this was with the Officer Piggy holding the grenade launcher.

I can't imagine what it be like trying to sell art. My tattoo artist sells paintings on the side, and when he has the time to complete them, he never has trouble selling them. But that's not the case for many artists of great talent, such as yourself.

Your work-flow sounds not only productive, but therapeutic as well. Would like to find something like that for myself in writing and music, among other things. Works in progress though. When was the last time you took a trip to hyperspace?

But it sounds like overall you're doing well man, and I am glad to hear that. I hope you continue to share Smile

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

hug454
#494 Posted : 5/27/2022 5:27:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Bill Cipher wrote:

It's a magical fucking feeling, my friend. Regardless of whatever strokes and rewards that may come from it (or not), I feel lucky everyday to have found it. It really is the best part of me.

And there you have it! In my book that makes you a success. The chingon debacle may have smarted but you know that you have not compromised for some kind payoff. You have stayed true to your vision. You haven't got sucked into some kind of lowest denominator trash for perceived success.
I don't comment as much as i used to but i am still there looking and appreciating. Like a lot of other members i've no doubt....

Bill Cipher
#495 Posted : 5/27/2022 5:37:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really haven't been deep in hyperspace ever since lockdown began. I've played around the edges any number of times, but for pretty much all of 2020 I couldn't even fathom entering that headspace, what with life here on terra firma being such a colossal goat screw. Since then, I've been pretty laser focused on doing this, so I haven't much felt the call.

I've had this experience hundreds of times over the course of the past 13 years. I'm much more interested at this point in what I do with all that, rather than climbing that mountain of madness over and over again, for no other sake but to climb it.

Plus, the shit terrifies me. Not gonna lie. It's never gotten any easier for me.

hug454 wrote:
And there you have it! In my book that makes you a success. The chingon debacle may have smarted but you know that you have not compromised for some kind payoff. You have stayed true to your vision. You haven't got sucked into some kind of lowest denominator trash for perceived success.
I don't comment as much as i used to but i am still there looking and appreciating. Like a lot of other members i've no doubt....

Thank you, hug. I do appreciate that.

Voidmatrix
#496 Posted : 5/27/2022 5:53:36 PM

Surrender and BE free

I hear you brother. Shit scares me everytime too, though have been moving through it with more ease. I feel like this kind of happens with higher frequency use because the more one disembarks, the weirder it gets. And for the past few years, heavy experiences happen by accident, which I don't complain about, but I'm patiently working myself back up to the depth I'd like. I tend to always extract something from it (pun intended).

One love

Bill Cipher
#497 Posted : 5/31/2022 10:52:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright then. What the hell. Here are some shots of the new guy in a completely neutral pose/facial expression. Sorry I cant give you bigger shots to hit all the nooks and crannies, but I will in time, and by the time it's done it should be pretty pristine down to pore level.

There are approximately 8,000 different tattoo combinations here in total - six heads, six chests, six stomachs, six sets of arms and six sets of hands, as well as one back, one set of legs, one set of feet and one covering the top of his head. All now become the under layers for a full color version, which will then make up 10% of the total number of iterations. Put those variables together with all of his other bits of swag, limitless posing options and some badassed 3D environments, and I think I have a winner here. We'll see where it goes from here.

For those who care about such minutiae, this is about 8 hours of work for each tattoo layer. I figure painting over them all in color will probably be pretty comparable, but I think he's going to pop suuuuper hard once he's dripping with hard candy colors.

WIP1.jpg (764kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP2.jpg (763kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP3.jpg (736kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP4.jpg (789kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP5.jpg (773kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP6.jpg (790kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP7.jpg (661kb) downloaded 93 time(s).
WIP8.jpg (322kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
WIP9.jpg (381kb) downloaded 93 time(s).
WIP10.jpg (410kb) downloaded 93 time(s).
WIP12.jpg (783kb) downloaded 93 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#498 Posted : 5/31/2022 11:08:06 PM

Surrender and BE free

I personally love these more than the ones that initiated thus project. This is really impressive! I don't know how you had time for 8,000 tattoo combinations.

Keep em comin, pretty please Laughing

One love

Bill Cipher
#499 Posted : 5/31/2022 11:24:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you much. These are the first renders I've made of him. Let's just say I've been going to bed with a throbbing hand every night for the past two months.

I like them better as well, I think. They're free of the added cultural baggage that came with the Chingons, and they give me the opportunity to sit down every night, stretch the fuck out and improvise like a crazy man (which I love). Plus, I think what the other two guys are about to bring to the table will level them up exponentially. He should animate like a friggin' dream, so expect a lot of motion. But the final product will end up being as much a surprise to me as it will be to anyone else, I'm sure.

Feels good though, I have to say. I'm doing the very best work that I'm capable of, and I couldn't be more excited to see it through to completion.

Tonight begins Phase 2!

roninsina
#500 Posted : 6/1/2022 3:46:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That’s just great Bill, just great! I’m so glad you’ve sank teeth and locked jaws on this project, man! One of the main reasons I love this place so much is I always feel like the deep connections that folks here make to the things that are at the core what really matters, somehow keeps me there with them.

And that guy looks like he could hide in a crowd on any continent on the planet. Can’t wait to see him painted up.
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

«PREV2324252627NEXT»