DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1415161718NEXT
The Art of Art Van D'lay Options

Bill Cipher
#301 Posted : 10/7/2021 3:42:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What is "F.A. & F.O.", null?

In any case, my comment came out a little harsher than intended. I'm just not really interested in hosting an NFT dump sesh for people to work through their own respective issues, in the same way that I'm not interested in debating about the content of my Trump pieces.

I made this thread to show my work. Anyone is more than welcome to start another one debating the pros and cons of NFT's, and I would be happy to engage - just not here.

Trippy glass for trippy people.

null24
#302 Posted : 10/7/2021 10:31:50 PM

Not a derogatory robot, since 1969

Welcoming committeeModerator

Oh shoot, I was just trying to make a funny, not start something...Razz I think it is cool as hell what you are doing and may pester you soon to teach me something about how to do it!

EDIT: We have commiserated on having trouble finding monetary sucess through art. I don't tell people I am proud of their achievements often, but I think that's the word for how it feels watching you go for the NFT stuff. Inspiring too...

F.A. & F.O.= F### Around and Find Out...
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Bill Cipher
#303 Posted : 10/8/2021 1:08:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
F.A. & F.O.= F### Around and Find Out...

Aha...

Thank you for that, null. I was just fortunate that this ecosystem came into focus at a moment when I was actually in a position to capitalize, and that the kind of work I make just happens to gel pretty well with the medium. Had the moment come a few years sooner I probably wouldn't have been ready, but it's out there right now for the taking, my friend, and I've been all up in it 24/7 for the past six months now.

It really is a democratized revolution. Doesn't mean there aren't bad actors and financial hijinks afoot, but that's true of any commercial endeavor; this is just scaled up. But it's provided sooooooooo many artists the ability to earn a living wage with their art, many of whom never had before and probably never would have (and I count myself among that group). If I get testy or defensive with peoples' kneejerk reactions to NFT's, it's because they are in a very real sense changing my life right now.

But it is a hustle, that's for sure. While barriers for entry tend to be lower than they are in the traditional art world, they do still for sure exist - unless you have forces behind you steering a course (which I do not). You have to become proficient not only with PR and marketing, but most importantly with talking about yourself and your work. People want the story. Collectors are looking for artists whose stock they believe will rise over time, so more crucial than any other skill (and this includes the art itself) is the ability to articulate your unique vision and value.

I'm happy to talk to you about all of it anytime, null. I could definitely see you doing it, having much fun expressing yourself and making some money to boot. I'm seeing digital artists, traditional artists, photographers, filmmakers, actors, poets, rappers, composers, musicians, opera singers, coders, meme makers for god's sake... Creatives of all shapes and sizes who are willing to take the leap, come out of their shells and apply themselves to a long term strategy are getting in on this action.

roninsina
#304 Posted : 10/8/2021 1:41:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bill Cipher wrote:
Thank you very much, roninsina. I appreciate that immensely, as I do everyone here who has stopped by over the past few months to take a peek at my work.

This is the place I became who I am. It was the only place I ever shared my early attempts at art, so it feels very special to come back now and create this little repository. It's a very cool thing to put it all here in one handy dandy thread. Not only do I get to show you exactly what I want you to see, but my goofy stories and process exxxtras create the actual context in which I want you to see them.

It’s another one of the things about the Nexus that makes me feel proud to be a part of this place. I can show off your work to my family and friends, and they can see the kind of remarkable company I’m keeping as a Nexian. It really helps instill a sense of community when someone shares with us on the order you’re sharing. I would definitely hold it equal to some of the more impressive bodies of research other Nexians have shared.

BillCipher wrote:
I used to think that less was more when talking about my pieces. The art that I usually respond to most will show you just enough to force you to craft your own unique narratives. I like that, and it's what I've always endeavored to do with mine as well. However, now I feel that the stories are key. Hopefully they don't box you in. There are always a multitude of ways in which to interpret any art, and just because I see one thing doesn't mean you shouldn't see another. But I think they help. I think they kind of light the fuse and make you engage in the work. What you do once you begin, well that's really all up to you.

Yes, some of your catalysts were very effective for me. Sometimes it’s really hard to start a story and getting the first few lines out seems to carry some creative inertia that can really push you deeper into a piece.

BillCipher wrote:
I hate social media with a passion. Between Twitter's severely limiting text, Facebook's role in the death of democracy (and constantly suspending me for fighting), Instagram's endless army of influencers and Reddit's douchebag everything, it all just feels gross to me, and engaging here never has. I do it anyway because I have to, but not with anything close to the same regularity or genuine enthusiasm. These is my peeps. I know that when I post something here that's drenched in DMT, most everyone who sees it is likely to at least recognize the aesthetic. And if not, well that's okay too. I don't ever attempt to bring back anything that I've actually seen in there. These are not trip reports at all. That kind of thing doesn't interest me. But the design language, the bizarre aesthetic, the endless hieroglyphics, the super saturated color combos and the impossibility of it all, that has all been a gift from the gods, a download I had little to do with.

I abandoned the zuckerverse some years ago and the others were always too distasteful to consider. Yep, this is my only online community I’ve any interest in and when life blesses me with some regular free time as I’ve had these last few days, I’ll be trying to give back here as much as I’ve been given.

I am enjoying the whole spit roast motif, but I must say I’ve spent an embarrassingly inordinate amount of time imagining much more dreadful fates for that porcine pustule. Though, if you’ve a care at all to hear, I have a special fondness for your doodads and glyphs and such - that sort of thing always rings a special primal or archaic bell for me or some such.

BillCipher wrote:
It's entirely possible if you're here that I may have rubbed you wrong at some time during the past 12 years. Hopefully you still tune in and take in what I'm layin' down, cursing my name while blowing shit up and hitting them nooks and crannies. All are welcome... apart from MAGA. If you wear the red hat, you're out. There are a number of well known "visionary" artists who publicly stand for that bullshit. I don't understand how we take the same drugs and that's what they come away with, but garbage in garbage out as I always say. Psychedelics don't necessarily enlighten, and not everyone who paint's not a shitsack.

My first few years here I thought you were quite unnecessarily harsh and sometimes a bit off mark when chasing someone off the front porch. And now, after seeing a few dark seeds getting planted here and there, I sometimes think “I remember when Bill would have torn that guy a new asshole!”. But giving us all the inside track on your, most inspiring art is just as much of a beacon for our community.

BillCipher wrote:
And here I've turned a perfectly pleasant conversation into political rant. Such is me. I'm an angry dog.

Namaste and all that.

I get angry too! It’s a reasonable response to the landslide of catastrophically stupid and self destructive greed that has been put on the highest of pedestals in our culture - and the horde of morons who follow along thinking if they help the overlords maintain the status quo that maybe one day they can be the abuser too! Lol, now I’ve started ranting!
"We dance in a circle and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Bill Cipher
#305 Posted : 10/8/2021 6:54:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you, roninsina, for the very kind and flattering words. I greatly appreciate it, as I do your taking the time to put them together so eloquently.

I appreciate too everyone's attention here - from those who engage on the semi-regular to folks who pop by for the occasional peek while otherwise cursing my name. I can't even say how satisfying it's been sharing all of this stuff with you all.

What I've got coming up will blow up some brains. You keep lookin' and I'll keep makin' em.

Bill Cipher
#306 Posted : 10/8/2021 9:43:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is the show tomorrow night.

It's at ArtBarLA - https://www.artbarla.com - a very cool space that showcases art sure to appeal to the DMT-Shmexus. For anyone local, please feel free to come on by and say hidoodlydo.

It should be a pretty cool night all around. There's a bunch of very good artists involved, and the whole presentation is new and unique. All of the pieces have an augmented reality component, so you can interact with the physical art and their digital counterparts simultaneously.

Mine is a nicely framed 4K render of Hiranyaksha with fancy bowtie, and it's linked to a QR code - so you approach the piece, point your phone at it, and a weird little musical animation plays, depicting our friend as Satan presenting Eve with the apple of knowledge in the Garden of Eden (and then melting).

Should be a hoot. I pity the fool who doesn't attend. Be there or be square and all that.
Bill Cipher attached the following image(s):
FA3nVplVcAkN4YA.jpg (91kb) downloaded 172 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#307 Posted : 10/10/2021 7:53:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fun times last night at ArtBarLA. A few too many people indoors in close proximity for my taste, but I got in, snapped some photos, shot some video, bumped elbows with a handful of people and then got the fuck out!

I don't have any other way to share video of the AR components other than to link to my Twitter page here: https://twitter.com/ArtV...tus/1447238438600642564 . There you can see what happens when you point a phone at any of the pieces in the show (other than the stained glass windows piece, which had plenty going on without, with flashing lights and whatnot).

And while you're there, gimme a follow, will ya? I'm a lone wolf howling in the Twitterverse.
FBWfryuVcAQSDYw.jpg (503kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
FBWfryyVIAUWTqF.jpg (475kb) downloaded 144 time(s).
FBWfrzYVIAQNsY7.jpg (536kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
FBWfr1iVcAAr1dc.jpg (389kb) downloaded 143 time(s).
244621523_10223001327916393_5027192232704180332_n.jpg (281kb) downloaded 145 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#308 Posted : 10/12/2021 6:59:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright, so you don't like augmented reality. How about some more Trump torture?

Greetings from Walter Reed (2020)

I whipped up this little healing nugget in record time last October, after watching El Douche sail away from the White House aboard Marine One. I already had his head of course, along with his Nazi death toilet (which I'd made a few months earlier), souvenir Charlottesville tiki torches, magical Sharpie (for rewriting history & increasing the size of his penis), American flags and fuck you gesture (all from my previous Trump Roast), so all I needed to make was a body, a syringe, a bottle of bleach, a base with title, some fishtank cleaner and a hospital IV stand. My assumption at the time was that he would be dead just a few days later, so I worked furiously round the clock in order to have a finished piece I could share with a jubilant world the moment he gacked out on live TV.

Unfortunately, he did survive the weekend. And the rest, as they say, is history. But I dusted it off a few months back, turned it into an NFT and called it Greetings From Mar a Lago - making it instead an idyllic picture of life in tacky, pastel colored retirement; just another fatassed Republican codger enjoying a hard earned day of pampering before heading out to dinner at 4:30.

Perhaps I'll share that as well. I'll list it of course the second he either drops dead or winds up in handcuffs.

Note: The U.S. death count on the back was accurate at the time. A year later, and it almost seems quaint.

So much winning from a very stable genius with gargantuan hands, a word class wit, quiet dignity, talent for critical self-reflection and all of the best words!

Covfefe!!
Greetings From Walter Reed - Front.jpg (3,483kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
Greetings From Walter Reed - Right Front Oblique.jpg (3,594kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
Greetings From Walter Reed - Right Rear Oblique.jpg (3,348kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
Greetings From Walter Reed - Rear.jpg (3,171kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
Greetings From Walter Reed - Left Rear Oblique.jpg (3,340kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
Greetings From Walter Reed - Left Front Oblique.jpg (3,359kb) downloaded 125 time(s).

null24
#309 Posted : 10/13/2021 2:30:14 AM

Not a derogatory robot, since 1969

Man, that looks like an awesome show! The AR is insane- and super cool. Right freaking on.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

ShamanisticVibes
#310 Posted : 10/13/2021 7:36:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Good Gawd! I love the Trump stuff, man! What an incredible combination of hilarious tropes associated with Cheeto Man (TM). I notice that you cut the orange colouring from these. Is there any reason (aside from the possibility of an up-and-coming Trump/Chester Cheeto mash-up LMAO)? The fish tank cleaner is a wonderful addition. I look forward (as always) to more of your characters, I think they are my favorite (i.e. Trump, Police officer, Popeye, etc.).
Jack of few trades, Master of none, Student of all

Bill Cipher
#311 Posted : 10/14/2021 1:28:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you much. It's been nice to take a break from it, to be honest. I don't think I could have sculpted him and his gang for another four years.

I'm almost done with a new character, and it's gonna be a doozy.

Bill Cipher
#312 Posted : 10/14/2021 6:41:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ShamanisticVibes wrote:
I notice that you cut the orange colouring from these. Is there any reason (aside from the possibility of an up-and-coming Trump/Chester Cheeto mash-up LMAO)?

I suppose you're correct that I backed off the cheeto dust just a bit on this one. In all fairness, he is supposed to be taking his last gasp of breath here, so his usual healthy orange glow is more of a rust-meets-poop colored death palette than would normally be the case. You'd think that his handlers might have sprayed on a bit more bronzer, in fact, considering that he's about to die butt naked on a golden toilet, but what do I know, really? I just freeze-dry these moments for posterity; I'm not in charge of the spray tan.

But here is the reboot, now entitled Greetings From Mar a Lago.

No more American flags as he now takes his daily fishtank cleaner cure as just another fat Floridian. Out of respect for the former office, it is accompanied by something vaguely resembling Hail To the Chief, but the base is now appropriately rimmed instead with death and COVID - perhaps his most enduring legacies (other than Nazi complicity, bumbling incompetence, most verified lies ever told by a human, incitement to murder, failed insurrection, unparalleled graft, a fear of stairs and the rise of global fascism).

Bill Cipher
#313 Posted : 10/15/2021 6:05:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Der Fuhrer's Nazi Death Toilet (from Greetings From Mar a Lago)

The title says it all. It's a solid gold Nazi death toilet. I expect he'll want to be buried on it in case of post-mortem hamberder shits, but I understand that his children are already preparing lawsuits to undermine his final wishes.
Nazi Death Toilet1.jpg (2,503kb) downloaded 192 time(s).
Nazi Death Toilet2.jpg (3,099kb) downloaded 193 time(s).
Toilet2.jpg (256kb) downloaded 192 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#314 Posted : 10/26/2021 5:03:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm dying to show what I've been working on for the past couple of months, but I'm not quite ready to spill the beans about it all just yet. I'm hoping this will be the one to help me turn the corner commercially, but regardless it's been a lot of fun and a brain buster of a challenge. I'll have a marketing team for the first time ever (as it's promoting a celebrity brand), with a Discord group, podcast stuff and other assorted hoopla. The project consists (or will in the end) of 10,000 unique 4K renders, assembled from a couple hundred different character traits, which will be determined by a computer generated algorithm and then ranked in order of rarity, for trading on the secondary market.

For a bit of context, you can Google the Bored Apes Yacht Club. That is essentially the playbook, but with an entirely different aesthetic. That's really all I can say for now, but you'll see plenty of it soon enough. I could not be more excited. It's coming together quite nicely.

Anyway, this is a flashback to three years ago. I had ten pieces in a show at The Hive, an uber-cool gallery in Downtown L.A. The photos aren't great, but the prints looked really good up close (including one 3D resin print that a friend made for me and I then finished off by hand). The second shot shows a very large Amanda Sage piece up top (which is part of the permanent installation there, all of which is badassed) and the third shows the resident gallery pooch, Bacon (who is always there, dressed to the nines on all of their opening show nights). It was cool to share wall space with a bunch of artists I'd known and admired for years.

If you're ever in L.A. and looking for an evening of wacky art fun, The Hive is an awesome place for it. The proprietor and his pooch could not be nicer, and there's always a bunch of awesome stuff going on in there.
IMG_1355.JPG (4,200kb) downloaded 177 time(s).
IMG_1405.JPG (3,895kb) downloaded 178 time(s).
IMG_1370.JPG (2,227kb) downloaded 177 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#315 Posted : 10/27/2021 12:10:32 AM

Surrender and BE free

Bacon is so cuuuuuutttteeee! Love

Glad to see you doing big things big man!

One love
Chop Wood: Carry Water

Question everything... including questioning everything...
There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
The only safe place is the choice you make
All posts, responses, ideas and supposed experiences are that of an imaginary interdimensional being . This being comes to you with the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. That being said, everything posted must, perhaps, be taken lightly and with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#316 Posted : 10/27/2021 1:08:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Voidmatrix wrote:
Bacon is so cuuuuuutttteeee! Love

Ain't he, though? They really pack em in at that place, and he's always just cool as a cucumber.

Voidmatrix wrote:
Glad to see you doing big things big man!

Thank you. I didn't really see myself getting into something like this, but I was approached and given free rein to do pretty much whatever I wanted. As soon as I settled into a concept and started gathering reference, I was pretty much all the way hooked. It's definitely a character that was sorely needed here at Van D'lay Industries.

Plus, people are just making bonkers money on these PFP projects right now. At the risk of appearing somewhat crass, I believe I would like to do likewise.

Fridge
#317 Posted : 10/27/2021 8:32:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! I have only seen a fraction of your work yet, but these are really nice Smile!
...no need to worry...

Bill Cipher
#318 Posted : 10/27/2021 8:56:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Fridge wrote:
Wow! I have only seen a fraction of your work yet, but these are really nice Smile!

Dig on in. Bon appetoot!

Dirty T
#319 Posted : 10/27/2021 6:48:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have to say I love the work I've seen from you. There is big money in art and if you can profit on it that's awesome. I'm happy for you man.

Bill Cipher
#320 Posted : 10/27/2021 7:31:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dirty T wrote:
I have to say I love the work I've seen from you. There is big money in art and if you can profit on it that's awesome. I'm happy for you man.

Much appreciated, Dirty T.

There's big money for the very few, and not so much for most. That's not at all what's driven me to do it up until now, but I'd be lying if I said my feelings haven't changed this year. But my real hope is to increase my reach as far as I possibly can. I have no interest in celebrity or in being a public figure, but I do want people to see my work. I'd like to be remembered.

The money would be nice though - I'm not gonna lie - and it's out there for the taking right now like never, ever before. I have friends in the space who are making millions - some of them literally overnight (or in the span of 5-7 minutes). That would allow me to double down, 86 my job and do it full time, which would be just fucking glorious. I'm a long way from that at the present moment, but any decent, focused crypto artist is just a day away, and in this world the generative PFP project is king.

I can say with confidence that mine is going to deliver (at least aesthetically), and will look nothing at all like anything anyone else in the space is doing. If the other folks do their jobs I think it should be a winner, but there are a lot of moving parts for sure to the ones that blow up successfully.

«PREV1415161718NEXT