We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
How safe is vaping weed in GVG? Options

woody
#1 Posted : 1/31/2021 9:43:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I’ve been using my GVG for weed recently in an attempt to not smoke and therefore minimise the damage to my lungs.

I’ve noticed a couple of times it has irritated my lungs and made me cough more than smoking, but I think this is because I’m taking in a lot more vapour than a I would on a toke.

Overall though is vaping it this way much better for my lungs?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

strtman
#2 Posted : 1/31/2021 10:19:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe I understand your question wrong, but I do not see the difference between smoking in a joint, through a water bong or with a GVG.

I always use a bong filled with ice cold water to cool the smoke. And to prevent coughing.

Quiet the mind and the soul will speak

woody
#3 Posted : 1/31/2021 11:27:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My understanding is that by vaping the weed in a GVG there is no combustion of it unlike when a joint is burned and smoked. Which in theory I assume would be better for the lungs as there won’t be any tar and the release of harmful chemicals is minimised in this route as opposed to what is released when burning.
I suppose what I’m really wondering is would I be deluding myself in thinking that this is harmless method of ingestion?

Mitakuye Oyasin
#4 Posted : 1/31/2021 11:46:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Vaping is safer than smoking and GVG is good for vaping. If you want even healthier way to vape Cannabis use some ethanol or pure grain alcohol (food safe) NOT isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol, to extract all the goodies out of your Cannabis then vape the honey oil or shatter. Freeze your Cannabis and alcohol (the higher the proof the better - I use 195 proof Evercleer or Spirytus) overnight then soak and shake the Cannabis in the alcohol for 2-5 minutes, filter liquid through paper coffee filters and evap the golden liquid in a flat bottom glass. Scrape up the dry material and you have a high potency Cannabis extract (honey oil or shatter) that will easily vape in the GVG and now has no plant material or tars to hurt your lungs. Make sure to start small as a little concentrate goes a long way. ;-)
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Metta-Morpheus
#5 Posted : 1/31/2021 2:49:45 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

You just blew my mind. I thought you needed pressurized butane or co2, or rosin press the make concentrates. I am excited to find out ethanol works for this. I just bought a gallon of everclear for tinctures, that now will be partially redirected Towards trying that.

And on the vape irritation from op, I’ve found that happens to me for a little bit when I switch from smoke to vaping. My lungs quickly get used to the switch and then vaping seems smoother. And concentrates thru the gvg is the bee’s knees.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

forwardtoinfinity
#6 Posted : 1/31/2021 8:13:05 PM

Novice HyperPilot

I agree that vaping is easier on the body than smoking, and I prefer it. Less bad taste in my mouth, nice buds taste mind-blowing, and the stash runs out a lottt slower. Can get stoned all day on less than a gram.

If possible, running the GVG through some sort of water pipe should help to cool the vapor and lessen irritation. I hit my DynaVap through an empty water piece to cool it off, and I find that works pretty well. Definitely easier than hitting it straight up IMO. I use it empty cause it's just easier, it's not unknown for me to knock the piece off the table. I think it still works well enough.

That ethanol extract does sound pretty tempting, I'll have to try that out soon. Thanks for the tip

Mitakuye Oyasin
#7 Posted : 1/31/2021 11:37:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The trick with ethanol extraction is this - if you are doing it for vaping you want to freeze everything, your bud or shake, hash or whatever Cannabis you wish to extract, plus your ethanol as cold as possible and only have the contact between the ethanol and the source material last between 2-5 minutes, no longer. This makes sure that you do not to grab Chlorophyll and plant waxes, but do grab most of the THC, CBD and most of the terpenes. If you are doing an extraction for oral consumption you can skip freezing everything if you want since it will be going into your stomach for processing and not your lungs, so you can do a room temp extraction for the same 2-5 minutes. Or you can freeze it, does not matter for oral consumption as it should not affect the potency. My method is to hand break up the buds into a large glass mason jar then gently tamp down the plant material as far as possible. Then freeze everything at least overnight. Then eyeball an amount of liquid that fills just over the plant material. Seal the lid, pull a vacuum on it if you can and shake it for 2-5 minutes, then pour it through a courses filter, then a coffee filter or lab paper. Then I use about half the original amount of liquid as before for a second extract to get any remaining goodies that the first pull did not get. First pull should get around 70-80% of the goodies out and second should get the rest. This should leave you with a nice golden liquid that has lots of THC-A, CBD-A and terpenes and flavonoids. Pour the liquid into a glass flat bottom dish and let it evaporate. Scrape up the material and you now have high potency Cannabis concentrate. If you want to go to an oral product you need to decarb this material and throw off the Acid to go from THC-A and CBD-A to just THC and CBD. Using an oven safe glass dish put your extract in an oven at 250F for 20-30 minutes. Stir it from time to time as it will bubble. Once it will no longer bubble after around 20-30 minutes you can take it out and let it cool and you should have decarbed the concentrate so you can turn it into edibles. A gram of this extract usually has a potency of 60-70% or around 600-700mg of THC, so thin out as needed with olive oil or MCT coconut oil to get the potency you are looking for in your end product. Now you have safe food grade end product. Stay away from denatured alcohol and isopropyl alcohol as they are poisons and butane has lots of nasty stuff in it and is extremely flammable. The other magical part of ethanol extraction is that you can do it on cured buds or freshly cut material. Imagine if you grow your own Cannabis being able to take a freshly cut bud and being able to vape it the same day you harvested it. Easy to do with ethanol. Then you know the potency and character of the rest of your plant. Good luck with your own extractions. ;-)
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Fruit is life
#8 Posted : 2/1/2021 3:18:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I find the hot oil rich vapor feels medicinal on my lungs and I am a non smoker, it never hurts and almost feels pleasant, the friends who generally cough when they use cannabis in my GVG are smokers which is strange, non smokers have found it surprisingly benign compared to smoke. I find the flavour is great and the smallest bit of bud gets me very high using the GVG.

You can try taking smaller tokes, just watch till the tiniest bit of vape mists up in the genie and straight away pull the flame away, you will likely feel nothing at all!
The self that talks doesn't know, the self that knows doesn't talk.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#9 Posted : 2/1/2021 4:22:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus if you are making Cannabis tinctures you should first figure out if you need the end product to be decarbed or not. If you need the tincture to have decarbed Cannabis there are 2 methods to do this. Decarb the flower before you extract - or - extract from flower and then decarb the finished extract. Decarbing flower you want to grind the flower and place into a clean glass baking dish and bake at 250F for around 30-40 minutes. You might want to move the material around once or twice while baking to make sure it all gets enough heat. Once cool, the decarbed flower is ready for extraction. Once filtered this decarbed liquid cannabis IS "TINCTURE" and can be orally consumed. If you decarb after the extract you will want to evap all of the alcohol (using a glass baking dish or the like) so you can scrape up all of your dry goodies once the liquid is gone. To decarb this extract just bake it at 250F for around 20-30 minutes until bubbles stop forming. Then weigh out how much of this extract you want to make a tincture out of and how much alcohol you want to suspend it in. Good luck with your tincture. ;-)
— Terence McKenna

Metta-Morpheus
#10 Posted : 2/1/2021 11:49:26 AM

ModeratorSenior Member

I decarbed before I started my tincture. The tincture is for edibles or coffee and the likes. I had actually thought about evaping some of the tincture, but I’m gonna try this fresh as the tincture has already been sitting for a few days, so I would have pulled a bunch of plant with it. And I’m not sure if it would work the same smoking decarbed weed. I would imagine it would still work, but better to start fresh.

Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Mitakuye Oyasin
#11 Posted : 2/1/2021 12:26:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus you can 'winterize' your tincture if you want to try and get some of the plant fats and waxes out of it. It will not get rid of the Chlorophyll, but that probably does not matter much for edibles. To winterize just place your tincture into clean glass with a large opening at the top and place it into the freezer for 24 hours, then do a quick filter through a coffee filter. This should freeze and trap most of the plant waxes as solids before they melt back into liquid. You can vape decarbed concentrate, but it is def more harsh than the clean 'winterized' honey oil/shatter from THC-A. Have fun. Cannabis extracts are great and very versatile.
— Terence McKenna

woody
#12 Posted : 2/1/2021 3:13:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This method sounds similar to what I have read about making cannabis oil. But that also seems to end up involving a rice cooker. Is this just good for small amounts?

Egzoset
#13 Posted : 2/1/2021 5:21:56 PM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations Woody,

woody wrote:
...GVG for weed...

The "G" in "GVG" implicitely means there's not much you can change to a design which failed me since i 1st tried it in 2012, only to give my Classic pipe away the week after. Actually i never been able to use the genuine VaporGenie but mine being made of wood i was able to augment(2013+) this Y2K concept of Dan Steinberg, in total indifference around here i might add.

So i'm afraid glass puritanism is only an achor in some twenty years-old past, denying the value of all contributions *I* personally made in such field at my very own expense, no strings attache - just because some people like to deny my right to a single/unique anonymous identity since i created the alias in mid-2010, in retaliation for wars started on boards as FuckCombustion & friends, etc.

10 years and well over 2000 canadian dollars wasted in vain for some obscure/futile motives i guess; m'well, if one can believe what the trolls keep repeating anyway.

Good day, have fun!! Cool

Metta-Morpheus
#14 Posted : 2/1/2021 10:54:40 PM

ModeratorSenior Member

You said your name was EGOset?

Mitakuye Oyasin
#15 Posted : 2/1/2021 10:58:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

woody Decarbed full spectrum extract of Cannabis is called many things - RSO (Rick Simpson Oil) FECO (Full Extract Cannabis Oil) Healing Oil, Miracle Oil, etc... It is all the same thing, which is decarbed THC concentrate or extract. If you are wanting to use it in edibles, including thinning it out with olive or MCT coconut oil and making pills or adding it to foods and eating it, you want the Cannabis to be decarboxylated or decarbed. What this means is using heat to throw off or discard the Acid attached to the THC molecule so that it changes from its THC-A state into just THC. This allows the THC to be used by your digestive system and be psychoactive. Our digestive system cannot use THC-A very well and the vast majority of THC-A will go through our body but not produce a psychoactive or 'high' or 'stoned' feeling. Only THC is psychoactive through the digestive system. When you put flower or hash or honey oil into a pipe or vape it is in the THC-A state, but the heat from the flame throws off the Acid instantly and only the THC gets into your lungs, making it almost instantly psychoactive through your lungs and directly into your bloodstream. This works the same for CBD, which comes from the Cannabis Hemp plant flower in its natural CBD-A state until you use heat to throw off the Acid and convert it to CBD, which can be eaten or smoked or vaped. Decarbed CBD concentrate oil is a great pain reliever and powerful anti-inflammatory for many people, myself included. Hope this info helps. ;-)
— Terence McKenna

Egzoset
#16 Posted : 2/1/2021 11:06:59 PM

Vaporist of Borg

Metta-Morpheus wrote:
You said your name was EGOset?

I write YOU are an IMBÉCILE...

yOUyOUmE SIR.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#17 Posted : 2/1/2021 11:12:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The "G" in "GVG" is for Glass, as in Glass Vapor Genie. The brain of the device is the silicon carbide (SiC foam) 'stone' that holds and transmits heat and air through it, making it ideal for vaping Cannabis products. There are many designs out there using these silicon carbide stones within either a glass tube or stainless steal or titanium enclosure for vaping Cannabis and other substances. Some designs are made to fit into existing water pipes to cool the vapor before it goes into your lungs. Use whatever design works best for your needs, or have a design of your creation custom made for you from a glass blower. You can buy the silicon carbide stones in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
— Terence McKenna

Metta-Morpheus
#18 Posted : 2/2/2021 12:52:07 AM

ModeratorSenior Member

I am about to sample some freshly made concentrate. Thanks for opening my eyes to this incredibly simple extraction process to throw in the tool box.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#19 Posted : 2/2/2021 1:06:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Metta-Morpheus You are welcome. If it works well for you please pass this info along to others. Keep the knowledge alive. ;-)
— Terence McKenna

woody
#20 Posted : 2/2/2021 7:53:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes thanks for this info, I’m definitely keen to try this out

12NEXT