We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Inquire chemical expertise for identifying synthetical DMT Options

Sinntetic
#1 Posted : 1/18/2019 8:48:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello.

First I would like to say a word of gratitude for guidance, this forum has provided me.
It is a great place where people share and absorb useful knowledge.

Can't seem to find procedure for preparing DMT picrate.
Would like to make a melting point test//

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Kagutsuchi
#2 Posted : 1/18/2019 9:01:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Picric acid is quite strong so I suppose if you dissolved the acid in water and added the DMT after that, it would probably yield DMT picrate if you use a stochiometric ratio. I do not really possess data on the solubility of thw salt though so I have no idea how you could precipitate it.

Sinntetic
#3 Posted : 1/18/2019 9:30:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

looks like m.p. of said base is 54.5 C, that is different from 45 reported but Shulgin notes say 57-59 C, then 47 C and in the same paper 67 C. so Would assume that it's somehow mystical\\

endlessness
#4 Posted : 1/18/2019 9:32:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hopefully you are aware of picric acid's safety issues and can take due care if you decide to use possess/use picric acid in any way.

Sinntetic
#5 Posted : 1/18/2019 9:58:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I would not brag as the experience show that complete noobs and extreme professionals are most likely to make a stupid mistake, but it would be appropriate to say that I am deeply aware of picric acid properties and hazards. That is the reason why I would like somebody share the orthodox picrate prep. procedure. So I could minimize exposure to this spirit of yellow))

Besides I have some of it, as opposed to fumaric acid Big grin

Maybe somebody could reference other "solid" salt that can be prepared to identify the compound, it's really not specific to picrate.Confused

Kagutsuchi
#6 Posted : 1/18/2019 10:15:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe an oxalate salt? If we could get someone to measure the melting point of that... Oxalic acid is not more tpxic than picric so you could use similar safety.

Sinntetic
#7 Posted : 1/18/2019 11:24:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sounds unpredictably complicated Sad And I still need a synth. procedure, for the oxalate.

Mindlusion
#8 Posted : 1/18/2019 11:33:08 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

There is no procedure for doing it because its common sense to any chemist worth their salt. (pun)

If it isn't to you, you definitely shouldn't be working with picric acid.

and why? there are easier methods to verify your product. Smells trollish to me
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Sinntetic
#9 Posted : 1/19/2019 12:27:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

There is procedure to make fumarate Razz
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/The_FASA_Method
Also info.
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/DMT_Fumarate

See, there is common sense, but guess work can cost you weekend of dessication at best and incorrect measurement at worst.

Source reported a synthetic DMT so there should be no mistake, as impurities and the product it self may be toxic.

"there are easier methods to verify your product."
I would be glad to hear constructive propositions??

p.s. Picrate was prepared, m.p. 146-149 C (167 C TiHKAL ref.) something is not goodSad

benzyme
#10 Posted : 1/19/2019 2:05:50 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

picrate conversion is an old-school method, and probably results in a less stable salt.
fumarate, on the other hand, is acquired as food-grade, and the method is newer. The product is more stable as a dicarboxylate salt such as fumarate because it has antioxidative properties, analogous to tartrate and maleate salts.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Sinntetic
#11 Posted : 1/19/2019 3:13:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I edited previous post "p.s. Picrate was prepared, m.p. 146-149 C (167 C TiHKAL ref.) something is not good Sad "

Sinntetic
#12 Posted : 1/19/2019 3:18:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, Dude I understand, just don't have it, i'l make an order but this weekend no bueno((

benzyme
#13 Posted : 1/19/2019 3:42:14 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Big grin

I think you'll be happy with the results when you do.
I've personally never made the fumarate salts, but they form some of the prettiest crystals. Very high resolution, and very stable. FASA is a highly-regarded tek, useful for indefinite storage of the spiritual medicine.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 1/19/2019 4:39:38 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sinntetic wrote:
p.s. Picrate was prepared, m.p. 146-149 C (167 C TiHKAL ref.) something is not good Sad

Given the somewhat broad melting range there, you might want to try recrystallising your picrate to see if you can get the value up a bit nearer to the published value.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Ulim
#15 Posted : 1/19/2019 11:16:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why exactly picric acid? I see nothing but drawbacks. Be it the sensitivity and the toxicity? Why not use any other salt like fumaric which works extremly well?

downwardsfromzero
#16 Posted : 1/20/2019 12:56:58 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Making a picrate and testing the melting point is a method of presumptive analysis for those without MS or NMR.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Sinntetic
#17 Posted : 1/20/2019 8:42:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I found some UV activated TLC and ran them couple of times to have at least some insight in composition of the sample. The results are mixed at best. Some how I'm having trouble attaching images here so it's mostly words.

Eluent 10:1 methanol/ammonia the dot separated in one major (possibly two) compounds and 4 trace dots were present evenly spaced behind. At the origin sample showed some noticeable luminescence right on the circular outline of the dot (some speculate that might be beta carboline backbone), so the main material is retarded right at the middle of solvent path and supposedly luminescent compound running a little bit faster (I call it the ghost compound cause it was visible very short time in slight luminescent way and then even iodine did not stick to it) so it might be some past due TLC artifact.

What was extremely strange is what happened next, as I have tried to make a stain for this endeavor but had enough reagents only for Salkowski reagent (Part B) so after iodine chamber and examination I just splash in on the plate for to see maybe something else stands out. So after this thing dried I put it in UV and wtH the main spot became strongly luminescent with a bluish orb standing just a little shifted to the origin.

The main questions would be for now.

Can DMT become luminescent after this treatment?

Can anybody confirm picrate melting point for DMT? (cause this 167 C is the same in all refs but for example m.p. of base is mostly different, so I have doubt)

Does anybody know melting point for the oxalate?

Any specialty stain for beta caarbolines?

Anyhow the prepared picrate is lost now, so I will have to prepare more later and clean it up properly for m.p. retesting. It's strange how it was easier for me to find somebody with DMT than fumaric acid, so next weekend there might be something to compare with.

Mindlusion
#18 Posted : 1/21/2019 1:30:04 AM

Why not just test m.p. of the freebase?

Recrystallize in Hexanes, there's no other chemical compound in the world that crystallizes quite like freebase DMT... Anyone in the art can recognize that. Take a piece of that crystal, run a m.p. test if you will. Picrate seems even less reliable if you are finding conflicting data.

Fumarate is the ideal salt without a doubt, recrystallize in boiling 99% IPA for ultra pure crystals.

Attached is examples of freshly crystallized freebase (synthetic)
and the fumarate salt, recrystallized in isopropanol.

The m.p. of DMT fumarate is 140-142 °C (Olson; ACS Omega 2018 3 (5), 4968-4973)

I can even run a m.p. on my own sample if you want another reference
Mindlusion attached the following image(s):
20190120_194158.jpg (3,386kb) downloaded 79 time(s).
20190120_190640.jpg (3,065kb) downloaded 74 time(s).
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Elrik
#19 Posted : 1/21/2019 5:54:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The OPs TLC image is attached.
Its clear you got a mixture, and I strongly suspect a ß-carboline is in there.
If the tryptamine was derived by decarboxylation of tryptophan the catalyst can produce some quantity of 1 substituted ß-carboline, otherwise it was most likely cyclitization byproduct[s] from reaction of tryptamine with formaldehyde.
In any case, you should clean it to one spot. It looks like its mostly one compound, recrystallization alone might be sufficient. I remember in TiHKAL, Shulgin remarking that a product of his was contaminated with a ß-carboline byproduct which was removed by recrystallization from an aliphatic solvent so Mindillusions advice on using hexane or heptane fits nicely.
If you want to go a step beyond that you could first try to remove contaminant primary and secondary amines by converting them into their toluene insoluble carbamates [ref], basically dissolve in toluene, drop in some dry ice, when its returned to room temperature mix very well and filter out the carbamates, the DMT [and things like 2-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-ß-carboline, etc.] staying dissolved. Then recrystallize from heptane. That carbamate procedure may not be required, but is an option. Since you have TLC plates you can monitor success in different methods and heptane might be enough.
Thanks for leaving the unicorn at SWIMs house, by the way Razz

Mindillusion, do you mind saying if those were made via the cyanoborohydride route or some other method?
I have dreams about someone showing off clean and pure DMT made by dequaternization of trimethyltryptammonium iodide Wink
With luck that may some day be me, although I'll more likely post that to someplace like TMG or the nook.
Elrik attached the following image(s):
SM.jpg (451kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

Mindlusion
#20 Posted : 1/21/2019 5:58:53 AM

Elrik wrote:

Mindillusion, do you mind saying if those were made via the cyanoborohydride route or some other method?
I have dreams about someone showing off clean and pure DMT made by dequaternization of trimethyltryptammonium iodide Wink
With luck that may some day be me, although I'll more likely post that to someplace like TMG or the nook.

from tryptamine, but an alternate reagent

12NEXT