We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV5758596061NEXT»
Post Pictures of anything nice Options

benzyme
#1161 Posted : 12/24/2016 1:10:37 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Just got this to control the hplc pump/run the gradients, and it can also control/record signals from the absorbance detector I have from a different manufacturer (ABI 785A). the software manual is 3028 pages.

the current setup is nearly identical to what I used to analyze IH's harmalas and Jork's p.brachy seedlings...and my own c.paspali experiments, in 2010.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
IMG_3200.JPG (869kb) downloaded 420 time(s).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

benzyme
#1162 Posted : 12/26/2016 1:34:21 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Wink

sensitivity is noticeably improved. I switched from orthogonal electrospray, with a sample tube of 100 um i.d., to capillary nanospray, 20 um i.d.
IMG_3219.JPG (1,391kb) downloaded 389 time(s).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Cognitive Heart
#1163 Posted : 12/26/2016 8:36:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pleased

'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

benzyme
#1164 Posted : 12/31/2016 2:40:13 AM

analytical chemist

20 micron i.d. fused quartz silica capillary I flame-pulled to ~5 micron i.d., and cut with a ceramic blade. 100X mag., Zeiss KF 2

1ce
#1165 Posted : 12/31/2016 3:28:14 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

Holy crap! What would you use such a small tube for?

benzyme
#1166 Posted : 12/31/2016 3:34:38 AM

analytical chemist

low-flowrate/high sensitivity LC-MS.

I am reproducing what I remember from experiments I conducted 7 years ago in college, from my man cave.
I never actually prepared emitter tips, like I am doing now. they were purchased.
getting down to this level of sensitivity, analytes from intracellular serum may be characterized....from a single cell.

ideally, the tip would have more of a taper, and that is done with a laser.

1ce
#1167 Posted : 12/31/2016 6:53:02 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

Intracellular serum.. those are some choice words. Very happy!

Gila
#1168 Posted : 12/31/2016 7:38:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Images from a spectroscope while teaching a basic spectroscopy lab. Two of the four lines of visible light that make up the Balmer Series of the Hydrogen atom.

Gila attached the following image(s):
IMG_0187.JPG (119kb) downloaded 303 time(s).

Spaced Out 2
#1169 Posted : 12/31/2016 8:08:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
low-flowrate/high sensitivity LC-MS.

I am reproducing what I remember from experiments I conducted 7 years ago in college, from my man cave.
I never actually prepared emitter tips, like I am doing now. they were purchased.
getting down to this level of sensitivity, analytes from intracellular serum may be characterized....from a single cell.

ideally, the tip would have more of a taper, and that is done with a laser.

Very nice benzyme for something so delicate Thumbs up

Is this your first attempt at doing something like this?

benzyme
#1170 Posted : 12/31/2016 2:16:16 PM

analytical chemist

second attempt with 20 um. been practicing with 75 um.
yea, this is a recent practice, since I swapped out the ion source.
I have much greater control over the plume entering the ion transfer capillary,
and spectra like this is typical now.
IMG_3230.JPG (1,052kb) downloaded 288 time(s).

benzyme
#1171 Posted : 12/31/2016 2:27:34 PM

analytical chemist

Love

very easy to utilize capillary, because it's translucent, and can be troubleshot under a microscope.
I just switch out lines as needed.
IMG_3215.JPG (599kb) downloaded 280 time(s).
IMG_3211.JPG (955kb) downloaded 285 time(s).

â—‹
#1172 Posted : 1/1/2017 10:03:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Praxis. wrote:
Was lucky enough to catch this yesterday evening

danng, real nice..

â—‹
#1173 Posted : 1/1/2017 10:03:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

out n about the other morning

â—‹ attached the following image(s):
IMG_5354.JPG (41kb) downloaded 256 time(s).
IMG_5355.JPG (41kb) downloaded 253 time(s).

â—‹
#1174 Posted : 1/22/2017 1:28:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

15896174_1402368583130027_1868994743788352565_o.jpg (199kb) downloaded 216 time(s).

Cognitive Heart
#1175 Posted : 1/23/2017 8:53:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Surprised

'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

â—‹
#1176 Posted : 1/24/2017 11:56:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

My other love apart from psychedelics and entheogens.

Cracking german DMEs and hours of tuning and adjusting various tables/values for maximum power and efficiency.

tqrq.jpg (141kb) downloaded 214 time(s).
Anti_lag shifting.JPG (229kb) downloaded 213 time(s).
WGDC Map 23.jpg (244kb) downloaded 213 time(s).

woogyboogy
#1177 Posted : 1/25/2017 4:59:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tatt wrote:

Cracking german DMEs and hours of tuning and adjusting various tables/values for maximum power and efficiency.

that looks quite technical.
can you explain abit what this is about? I assume its about engines? definitly something I have abolutely no clue about.

But when someone states something is their passion, I always get interested Very happy

hug46
#1178 Posted : 1/25/2017 7:50:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

woogyboogy wrote:
tatt wrote:

can you explain abit what this is about? I assume its about engines? definitly something I have abolutely no clue about.

But when someone states something is their passion, I always get interested Very happy

I agree. That looks interesting Tatt. I too would like to hear more. Is it something to do with dimethyl ether and direct injection engines?

â—‹
#1179 Posted : 1/26/2017 12:13:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

hug46 wrote:
woogyboogy wrote:

I agree. That looks interesting Tatt. I too would like to hear more. Is it something to do with dimethyl ether and direct injection engines?

I could spend days talking this, though in the same respect i'm a newb with much of this stuff compared to many out there, especially the big names. I'll gloss over these photos to give a small rundown:

The program in those photos is TunerPro, one of the best pieces of tuning software out there, especially when it comes to german and bavarian automotive electronics.

The top photo is the various tables I have open for torque requests that the transmission/transmission control unit sees from the DME[ECU]. Torque request values can be altered per the specific AT [automatic transmission], which can have a slew of various changes - upshift speed from gear to gear, torque specifics per gear/RPM/load, pedal sensitivity, etc.

Second photo down is timing which is ignition timing values. On the piston’s decent from the top of the cylinder, intake valves are opened allowing the cylinder to fill with air and fuel. After the cylinder is filled with air, it makes its ascent towards the top of the cylinder in what is referred to as the compression stroke. Towards the top of the compression stroke is where the spark plug fires, igniting the compressed air/fuel, which drives the piston back down (power stroke), and of course the piston’s next ascent pushes the burnt gases out of the exhaust valves (exhaust stroke). By adjusting the values in the tables you are essentially adjusting the degrees BTDC [before top dead center] that the spark plugs fire, allowing it to be not too soon or too late, but right at the specific degree to where the spark ignites the air/fuel mixture with perfect efficiency.

The next pic/table down is WGDC [wastegate duty cycle]. On forced induction [turbocharged vehicles] attached via the turbocharger/manifold is whats called a wastegate, which regulates the boost[air] pressure at which exhaust gases pass ny the turbine by opening or closing a bleeder vent. This prevents overboost and/or excess buildup of unsafe boost levels, and also regulates boost stability. WGDC is typically only a parameter on higher end turbocharged vehicles [in the case of those tables a BMW 335i] - it's basically a signal that the DME[ECU] sends to the wastegate diaphragm to regulate the required bleed off.

There's pages I could write that cover these few things I pointed out. Those are just a couple of the tuning parameters when getting into these german/bavarian autos, not to mention the near endless amount of DME algorithms, opened and closed loop tables and systems that higher end vehicles like BMW and Mercedes employ, also the ability of the DMEs in these specific cars to adapt on the fly and produce brand new algorithms basically at any given moment.

Jees
#1180 Posted : 1/26/2017 3:36:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool Tatt, looks like an enormous iterating process, with a never-done effect.
After carburetors and Delco's left the stage and ECU's came in, this kind of tuning work is like a black art. It's amazing how they over time, could reduce exhaust gasses toxic amounts continually and still augmenting the obtained performance out of a given amount of fuel. There's a thing of respect for resources/environment connected to it.Thumbs up

Oops, digress off topic Razz

«PREV5758596061NEXT»