We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Cold Solvent (Shellite/naphtha) for Extraction? Options

Northerner
#21 Posted : 8/24/2018 2:20:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

padawan wrote:
[quote=downwardsfromzero]
Quote:
Careful observation of hot-pulled naphtha as it is chilled may help facilitate separating 'other' substances from the DMT before it is freeze precipitated. By my reckoning, no-one has reported trying this - so there's a little project for the willing to try.

I've tested this a lot using Acacia freeze precips. I only use hot naphtha. The pulls are piss-yellow, indicating plant oils as expected (no prior defats at this stage, just A/B - although I've tried various defat methods and abandoned them). But here's the thing: make sure the pulled solvent is saturated by using appropriately small volumes, then a bit of fan-evapping, then once the liquid is cloudy blow directly on the solvent and you'll see the alks precipitate instantly. Stick it in the freezer for 12 hours, no longer. The alks will crystallize and the solvent will remain piss-yellow with the oils, which you can pour off (I've tested - no more alks, then you can run through an activated charcoal filter and re-use later). The oils take longer to precipitate than the alkaloids, so don't leave in the freezer for too long or they'll end up mixed in with the alks. For second and subsequent pulls, keep your previously crystallised alks in the dish for crystal seeding and before adding each pull stick it in the fridge for 10 minutes to cool and pour over the freeze-cold crystals to ensure nothing melts. Using this method I don't even need to re-ex the combined pulls unless I'm being picky.

Works for me.

This is very close to what I do, ended up at the same place for the same reasons.

99.9% of my alks come out in 2 pulls though, the first giving >75% of the yield and the second the rest. A 3rd pull rarely gives more than a single lonely xtal. For this reason I clean my dish between the two pulls.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

PREV12