We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Check what your solvent contains here Options

BongWizard
#41 Posted : 7/7/2015 10:19:21 PM

Hyperspace Cowboy

FLeP wrote:
I'm having trouble readin the msds sheets. Nowhere on the one I'm looking at does it list the hydrocarbons used. It just says Lt. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent and these listed below:

ACGIH TLV
PPM
OSHA PEL
PPM

Are these the things I need to look up? I'm not having great luck so far.

What is the brand name of the solvent you use?

ACGIH and OHSA are American chemical safety regulators
TLV - threshold limit value
PEL - permissible exposure limit
PPM - parts per million
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population." -Albert Einstein

I'm not a big fan of SWIM. I mean, I've never met the guy, but any time I hear about him, he's doing something sketchy.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

FLeP
#42 Posted : 7/7/2015 11:18:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sherwin Williams VM+P Naphtha

BongWizard
#43 Posted : 7/8/2015 2:38:40 AM

Hyperspace Cowboy

Contains 99.9+% light aliphatic hydrocarbon, also known as light naphtha (low boiling non aromatics with 5-8 carbon atoms)
"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be a spirit of tolerance in the entire population." -Albert Einstein

I'm not a big fan of SWIM. I mean, I've never met the guy, but any time I hear about him, he's doing something sketchy.

FLeP
#44 Posted : 7/8/2015 3:29:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Light doesnt exactly sound like what I'm looking for but to be honest I'm having a hard time finding out what exactly I'm aiming for in my naphtha content. Can you shed some light on this? Is what I have a desirable solvent for dmt extraction? The only thing I've been able to gather is that I want aliphatic and not aromatic.

DansMaTete
#45 Posted : 7/8/2015 4:59:10 AM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Light is exactly what you need.

Don't forget to process an evap test to be sure there is no residue.
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

brilliantlydim
#46 Posted : 7/8/2015 5:10:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

something cool wrote:
Anyones ever work with Recochem camp fuel?

I know this is old, but I also found a jug of this. I phoned the company and they said it didn't have any additives (like coleman fuel) and it looked clean. I evaped it though and appeared to be an oily residue. Too bad because its a lot cheaper than rosonols.

BongWizard
#47 Posted : 7/8/2015 8:02:54 AM

Hyperspace Cowboy

FLeP wrote:
Light doesnt exactly sound like what I'm looking for but to be honest I'm having a hard time finding out what exactly I'm aiming for in my naphtha content. Can you shed some light on this? Is what I have a desirable solvent for dmt extraction? The only thing I've been able to gather is that I want aliphatic and not aromatic.

Petroleum naphtha is split into light and heavy fractions during the refining process. Light naphtha boils between 30C and 100C, while heavy naphtha boils between 101C and 190C.

You want light naphtha for DMT extraction as it contains fewer different hydrocarbon structures and very little in the way of cyclics.

Short answer: yes, your solvent is fine to use

FLeP
#48 Posted : 7/9/2015 1:55:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks BongWizrd and DansMaTete!

lewinii
#49 Posted : 7/13/2015 8:32:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ehud wrote:
something cool wrote:

I know this is old, but I also found a jug of this. I phoned the company and they said it didn't have any additives (like coleman fuel) and it looked clean. I evaped it though and appeared to be an oily residue. Too bad because its a lot cheaper than rosonols.

i just recently found this solvent in canada, and from the MSDS it seems to be better than Ronsonol, Zippo or VM&P.
but its possible that i read the MSDS wrong, so if a chemist or the like, could chime in here it would be great.

> Recochem Camping fuel (Quebec)
> CAS # 64742-49-0

> naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light
> Aliphatic hydrocarbon

> Boiling/condensation point 64 to 94°C (147.2 to 201.2°F)
> Conc. (% w/w) 100 (think that means 100% naphtha?)

it seems to be 100% naphtha, with nothing else added. No rust inhibitors, like other camping fuels and fluids. (i.e colemens).

http://209.226.4.29/Clientsportal/PDF/3/9/6/149693R6a.PDF
http://www.rona.ca/en/camping-fuel-0263201

"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

benzyme
#50 Posted : 7/16/2015 2:30:51 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yessir, that is basically vm&p naphtha, aka light naphtha.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

TinySilverHammers
#51 Posted : 5/29/2016 6:33:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OK, i wasn't too good at chemistry... Is Ronsonol a good choice, or should i go with something like ACE VM&P Naptha from the hardware store? I don't understand these charts at all. I wish someone would just say "use this"... Very happy

Aeolus
#52 Posted : 1/2/2018 12:40:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For what it's worth, it says these runs were done in 2005. Many of these products may have changed their formulas up significantly since then (I know Klean Strip has a few times).

Clandestination
#53 Posted : 3/26/2018 8:16:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey I looked up the msds for a lighter fluid and it says petroleum distillates and hyrdotreated petroleum distillates. What is this and is it safe to use?

downwardsfromzero
#54 Posted : 3/26/2018 9:05:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Clandestination wrote:
Hey I looked up the msds for a lighter fluid and it says petroleum distillates and hyrdotreated petroleum distillates. What is this and is it safe to use?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petroleum+distillates

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

looloo
#55 Posted : 5/7/2018 11:00:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

lewinii wrote:
ehud wrote:
something cool wrote:

i just recently found this solvent in canada, and from the MSDS it seems to be better than Ronsonol, Zippo or VM&P.
but its possible that i read the MSDS wrong, so if a chemist or the like, could chime in here it would be great.

> Recochem Camping fuel (Quebec)
> CAS # 64742-49-0

> naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light
> Aliphatic hydrocarbon

> Boiling/condensation point 64 to 94°C (147.2 to 201.2°F)
> Conc. (% w/w) 100 (think that means 100% naphtha?)

it seems to be 100% naphtha, with nothing else added. No rust inhibitors, like other camping fuels and fluids. (i.e colemens).

http://209.226.4.29/Clientsportal/PDF/3/9/6/149693R6a.PDF
http://www.rona.ca/en/camping-fuel-0263201

I can't seem to find naptha in Canada. I was planning to purchase that camping fuel from Rona that you linked, but even that is sold out now. Did you have any success with it and do you know where to get more of it? Thanks.

pitubo
#56 Posted : 5/7/2018 11:26:43 AM

dysfunctional word machine

looloo wrote:
I can't seem to find naptha in Canada. I was planning to purchase that camping fuel from Rona that you linked, but even that is sold out now. Did you have any success with it and do you know where to get more of it? Thanks.

How about using the forum search engine? I just typed in "naphtha canada" (you need to spell naphtha correctly btw) and readily found lots of posts with information. Some recent threads are:

Is this Naphtha ok?
Substitute for naptha
What lighter fluid or alternative?

Good luck.

looloo
#57 Posted : 5/8/2018 2:16:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

pitubo wrote:
looloo wrote:

How about using the forum search engine? I just typed in "naphtha canada" (you need to spell naphtha correctly btw) and readily found lots of posts with information. Some recent threads are:

Is this Naphtha ok?
Substitute for naptha
What lighter fluid or alternative?

Good luck.

You don't think I tried using the search engine? All the links you provided are 2 years old.. I'm just trying to get a more recent answer. As you know, things can change. Even in the links you provided some people are saying Ronsonol no longer works and Zippo lighter fluid has changed their recipe.

albertobalboa
#58 Posted : 7/31/2018 3:54:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

hello
i have tryed 2 extracction wth the sae naphtha, andwhen i hoing tp eveporae, it never get fully evaporated. it always get like a brown fat snd never gets clean or dry.
i thinking culd be becouse thhr kine of naphtha i uin. im reading nowth componets in it , adsa it has
hydrocarbons and c9 aromatics
coukd anybody help me ?
thanks
Alberto

HillyBill
#59 Posted : 5/19/2020 5:05:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ive been perusing https://www.sherwin-williams.com/, and they seem to have several different high flash Naphthas. Such as Sherwin-Williams High Flash Naphtha 100 R2K5 and
Sherwin-Williams High Flash Naphtha 150 R2KT4

How would these differ from VN&P? Are they more or less useful?

Thanks H.Billy

Brennendes Wasser
#60 Posted : 5/19/2020 6:54:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Strangely they just offer product details to the 100 version ... but the following aspects apply to both and I think you should not use both for this reason:

They are only aromatic Hydrocarbons and not aliphatic Hydrocarbons. Aromatic means, their electrons have a different hybridization and binding condition. They carry an additional form of electrons, called P-electrons. These can induce much higher Van-der-Waals binding forces and therefore these aromatic solvents are regarded as much "stronger solvents".

This means that you will never be able to freeze-precipitate anything with them. Also because of this you will catch up a huge amount of unwanted compounds. Being inable to freeze-precipitate you would always have to fully evaporate your solvent - which is possible of course, but you will always be left with a goo and maybe only 50 % of this will be DMT. Not only purity is an issue, but also sticky stuff is always a nightmare to handle.

I'm not from the US so I never was into VM&P Naphtha, but I think it has only aliphatic Hydrocarbons, which have the correct solubility profile to selectively dissolve mostly only DMT and also drop it at -20 °C in the freezer. No reason to go for another product.

Then you also should take an eye on the isomer size (the size of the single molecules that are sold as the solvent). The perfect range is C6-C7, meaning isomers of Hexane and Heptane. They have the perfect solubility profile and are also the best for freeze precipitating.
As stated above that 2 solvents are not useful due to their aromatic nature, but also they have "too big" molecules, being a mix of C8-C10. The boiling point is much higher because of this (135 °C - 210 °C) and this is always a good way to quickly check if you have the correct mixture. The max boiling temp (upper end of the temp range) would be not higher than 100 °C if you have the C6-C7 mixture. Even if you have aliphatic (and not aromatic) hydrocarbons, therefore being the correct chemical family, you would get a bad solubility profile and not be able to freeze precipitate, if you go to a high boiling point range, so also keep an eye on this. C6-C7 is the way to go.

PREV1234NEXT