We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Tons of Amanitas Options

β—‹
#21 Posted : 10/14/2017 3:34:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Legarto Rey wrote:
You guys have prep and consumption information? My single experience was with Eastern European dried caps, @15g, gently heated in @16oz water for @1h. Consumed the tea, took a @1h nap, then woke up to a powerful but odd state of awareness. I too live where, var guesowii, are plentiful.

Check out: ambrosiasociety.org

Peace

Here's a good read, they have a bit of history on the edibility of a. muscaria and preparatiomn. Not sure if there's any detailed recipes, though like I had mentioned I boiled them in water @ 2x15minutes, strained, then thrown in some warm dish or soup, or pan fried in butter and herbs Drool

Yeah, the guessowiis are plenty here. Yeah it's definitely a 'powerful but odd state', I agree. I never have taken much, mainly have eaten them when cooking as food, though the only other times were parts of fresh caps, was a very interesting headspace, but even knowing what they are I'm still pretty cautious on upping the dose lol, I feel it could get intense in some sort of way if you pushed it, but the alkaloid variability, geography they're found in, the genetics, just seems like there could be that time where you pick some that just so happen to be incredibly on the money, maybe too 'on the money' lol. Who knows, but I'm definitely going to experiment but stay cautious.

** Haha there's some studies this french physician did during the 19th century, feeding boiled amanita caps to dogs, and also amanita broth from the boils. Razz Confused Wut?

https://williamrubel.com...ia-edibile-if-parboiled/

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

sbios
#22 Posted : 10/17/2017 1:06:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Based on my previous research, this is what I remember - you need to dry/heated it up to about 70 C to activate chemical (from toxic to edible, but don't quote me on this) conversion. Then if there is plenty, the cap skin area (where vivid color parts) would be the most desirable part to use. The stem and other white parts seem to have less desirable effects.

pitubo
#23 Posted : 10/19/2017 11:23:50 PM

dysfunctional word machine

sbios wrote:
Based on my previous research, this is what I remember - you need to dry/heated it up to about 70 C to activate chemical (from toxic to edible, but don't quote me on this) conversion. Then if there is plenty, the cap skin area (where vivid color parts) would be the most desirable part to use. The stem and other white parts seem to have less desirable effects.

That's not right. If you don't want to be quoted on your writings, then don't write it! Please consider the importance of health and safety for everyone who reads your statements.

The fresh amanita muscaria mushroom mainly contains ibotenic acid and muscimol. Both are highly water soluble. By boiling the sliced mushroom in water and then discarding the water (containing most of the ibotenic acid and muscimol), it is sufficiently detoxified for gastronomic purposes (boil again if in doubt). Minute amounts of the active principles remain in the boiled mushroom, causing excellent taste and a mild sense of sedation. The taste is due to traces of ibotenic acid's structural relatedness to glutamate, a common flavoring agent (also known as the umami taste). The sense of sedation is due to traces of muscimol.

The ibotenic acid seems to act as a stimulatory and exictatory drug. At least my own experience with eating bits of raw amanita muscaria points at this. The fact that the mushroom is know in Iceland as Berserkjasveppur (berserk mushroom) seems to confirm this.

In order to convert the ibotenic acid to muscimol, the mushroom must be dried or mildly heated to dryness. This causes the decarboxylation of ibotenic acid, converting it into muscimol. Muscimol has the opposite effect of ibotenic acid, it acts as a sedative of sorts. It also strongly enhances the effects of benzodiazepines and valerian root. One cup of valeriana tea with a quarter dried cap knocked me out pretty effectively.

PurgeMasterV2
#24 Posted : 10/20/2017 6:51:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool
PurgeMasterV2 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20171019_214830.jpg (2,159kb) downloaded 122 time(s).

Lichen
#25 Posted : 11/14/2017 8:12:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pitubo wrote:

In order to convert the ibotenic acid to muscimol, the mushroom must be dried or mildly heated to dryness. This causes the decarboxylation of ibotenic acid, converting it into muscimol.

In my readings of the subject it has always been stressed that the mushrooms must be sun-dried in order for that ibotenic > muscimol conversion to take place due to the presence of UV light - and that merely drying through other methods is not an effective way to decarb.

If conversion can take place through any mere act of drying, I think it would be interesting to see if there is any difference between drying-with-heat and drying through, say, a dehydrator.

Off topic: I would love to start seeing trip reports from people who consumed pure ibotenic acid vs pure muscimol. This muscimol/ibotenic acid 'problem' has really muddied the waters of accurate information regarding the effects of this mushroom.
I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

β—‹
#26 Posted : 11/14/2017 10:31:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

pitubo wrote:

The ibotenic acid seems to act as a stimulatory and exictatory drug. At least my own experience with eating bits of raw amanita muscaria points at this.

Mhm, this was exactly my experience when I'd ate parts of these hand-sized caps I'd picked - felt very clear headed, a bit of expanded mind-space, slightly stimulating, colors 'popped and enhanced', edges/boundaries of objects became more distinct; it was very noticeable and came on within minutes for me. Honestly I was surprised when I'd tried it and then those effects started to unfold. Very happy

β—‹
#27 Posted : 11/14/2017 10:38:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Lichen wrote:
[quote=pitubo]
If conversion can take place through any mere act of drying, I think it would be interesting to see if there is any difference between drying-with-heat and drying through, say, a dehydrator.

The amanita muscaria var. guessowiis I mentioned above - the remaining caps I ended up drying in my dehydrator on the lowest setting, now they're cracker-dry. I bagged them up and stored away out've light with a small desiccant box. Haven't touched them since the day I'd ate parts of the fresh cap.

I'll try them at some point one day, and if this threads still around, or if I remember - I'll try eating the same amount as before with the fresh; just for personal comparison, and I'll let you guys know how it was.

pitubo
#28 Posted : 11/15/2017 12:50:28 AM

dysfunctional word machine

Lichen wrote:
In my readings of the subject it has always been stressed that the mushrooms must be sun-dried in order for that ibotenic > muscimol conversion to take place due to the presence of UV light - and that merely drying through other methods is not an effective way to decarb.

To me that makes no sense mechanistically. Only the outermost layer of the mushroom is exposed to UV light. Second, being a relatively high latitude mushroom and growing late in the season, there will be very little UV light available for the mushroom.

I would guess that the lore that sun-dried fly agarics are more potent is more likely related to the fact that only early specimens will sun dry, the later ones grow during too wet and cool times. So, it could just be that the first flush of fly agarics is the most potent.

Lichen wrote:

I don't even know why drying plays a role. Heating and removal of CO2 gas are likely the strongest driver of decarboxylation.

Lichen wrote:
Off topic: I would love to start seeing trip reports from people who consumed pure ibotenic acid vs pure muscimol. This muscimol/ibotenic acid 'problem' has really muddied the waters of accurate information regarding the effects of this mushroom.

More off topic, the interaction with muscimol and ibotenic acid with psilocin is also an interesting field of study.

null24
#29 Posted : 11/15/2017 5:11:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

pitubo wrote:
Lichen wrote:

To me that makes no sense mechanistically. Only the outermost layer of the mushroom is exposed to UV light. Second, being a relatively high latitude mushroom and growing late in the season, there will be very little UV light available for the mushroom.

I would guess that the lore that sun-dried fly agarics are more potent is more likely related to the fact that only early specimens will sun dry, the later ones grow during too wet and cool times. So, it could just be that the first flush of fly agarics is the most potent.

Lichen wrote:

I don't even know why drying plays a role. Heating and removal of CO2 gas are likely the strongest driver of decarboxylation.

Lichen wrote:

More off topic, the interaction with muscimol and ibotenic acid with psilocin is also an interesting field of study.

My only experience is smoking dried caps that I just placed up high in my room, no uv. I noticed a mild but definite cannabis like stone that facilitated dreaming for me, personally.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*Ξ³Ξ½αΏΆΞΈΞΉ ΟƒΞ΅Ξ±Ο…Ο„ΟŒΞ½*

FiniteFox
#30 Posted : 12/2/2018 2:00:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Gravedigging a bit here, but I have smoked AM's and it gave me a headache. That was before I started experimenting with cannabis, so maybe I'm a different smoker now, may get different effects.

That said, I did want to affirm the decarb via heat and question the UV aspect of decarb. How much of the mushroom body would really be hit by UV, and how deep does the UV go into the flesh? I mean, maybe it works really well; I have heard of many just decarbing with heat will good effects.

Thoughts?

PREV12