We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Outdoor Psilocybe Mushrooms Northeast Options

windchime
#21 Posted : 1/17/2018 12:23:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

JP wrote:
windchime wrote:
Has anyone tried this? I've seen cultivated outdoor beds of Cubensis in the Southeast US and Cyanescens in the PNW but nothing aside from indoor grows in the Northeast US. There is a similar climate during part of the year albeit perhaps not quite as humid but it seems like it could be worth a shot especially with Cyanescens.

My hope is that an outdoor bed of wood chips inoculated with Cyanescen mycelium and kept shaded/moist might be feasible. There has been limited success reported but it would be amazing if the mushrooms somehow managed to acclimate themselves to the area and over time make themselves at home.

Is there something about the PNW that would keep them happy aside from their preferred substrate, fruiting temperature, and relative humidity or could it be as simple as relocating the spores/mycelium into a similar environment and lending a helping hand until established?

What's your USDA zone? I pack azurescens beds with straw and they survive the winter in 5A, I should note that even though I'm in 5A the temps haven't been much below 0 F since I starting growing them. I'm also just south of a huge "scary" lake that keep's the humidity very high through the cold fall.

6a. seems like it might be a worthwhile project

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

windchime
#22 Posted : 7/24/2018 3:13:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

JP wrote:
windchime wrote:
Has anyone tried this? I've seen cultivated outdoor beds of Cubensis in the Southeast US and Cyanescens in the PNW but nothing aside from indoor grows in the Northeast US. There is a similar climate during part of the year albeit perhaps not quite as humid but it seems like it could be worth a shot especially with Cyanescens.

My hope is that an outdoor bed of wood chips inoculated with Cyanescen mycelium and kept shaded/moist might be feasible. There has been limited success reported but it would be amazing if the mushrooms somehow managed to acclimate themselves to the area and over time make themselves at home.

Is there something about the PNW that would keep them happy aside from their preferred substrate, fruiting temperature, and relative humidity or could it be as simple as relocating the spores/mycelium into a similar environment and lending a helping hand until established?

What's your USDA zone? I pack azurescens beds with straw and they survive the winter in 5A, I should note that even though I'm in 5A the temps haven't been much below 0 F since I starting growing them. I'm also just south of a huge "scary" lake that keep's the humidity very high through the cold fall.

I'm in 6a and going for it! Feel like I have indoor cubensis pretty well figured out and both azure and cyan spores on the way. Hoping to have things prepared far as spawn goes and will be getting some nice beds of alder ready in a few locations.

From what I've been reading, it won't be a problem getting jars of grain ready to transfer to the alder chips and sawdust so I'm hoping that if mycelium will thrive in the lower 70s I can have them out by the end of summer and with a stroke of luck, maybe some fruits in the fall or early winter.

If it does work, will definitely be looking into locations with other native faster decomposing hardwoods in the spirit of Johnny Appleseed Smile

downwardsfromzero
#23 Posted : 7/24/2018 8:56:23 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
with a stroke of luck, maybe some fruits in the fall or early winter.

That would be very surprising. More likely you'll see something next year or the one after because, IME, lignicolous mushrooms are something of a long game.

If it goes well, though, you may find you never have to grow mushrooms again...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

windchime
#24 Posted : 7/24/2018 9:36:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Quote:
with a stroke of luck, maybe some fruits in the fall or early winter.

That would be very surprising. More likely you'll see something next year or the one after because, IME, lignicolous mushrooms are something of a long game.

If it goes weel, though, you may find you never have to grow mushrooms again...

Gotcha. Thanks for the input! I guess I had my hopes set a little too high but I like to stay busy with things to look forward to.

Gabber777
#25 Posted : 8/22/2018 11:30:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

for cyanoscena and azurescena need temperature in radius 1 - 10°С. with period ~ 1 month for start the fruiting.
But for that strains need more working with isolating good material, because some parts of that shrooms micelium have only genes without fruiting.
Miceleum eat celulosa from deciduous Trees, but for fruiting they are needed in highly microbial activity.
PSB concentration 1.8% maximum. (cubensis 0.6-0.8Cool.

downwardsfromzero
#26 Posted : 8/23/2018 8:43:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I've had cyanescens fruit in late August. Temperatures may have dropped as low as 10°C at night but I don't think so. It was a locally adapted strain, cloned via mycelium from the base of the stipe. Thus it was also genetically inclined towards fruiting. Perhaps the Russian strains are accustomed to lower temperatures?

True about the deciduous woods; adding a nice bit of leaf mould (i.e. fallen autumn leaves after they have begun to rot) really helps with the fruiting. Lots of nice microbes in there.

I think they're lignin decomposers rather than cellulose.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PREV12