We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Ringing in the ears and healing it with entheogens? Options

kreen
#21 Posted : 11/25/2016 5:20:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:

Scared of it's similarity to MDMA..as taking MDMA for long time isn't safe..don't know how safe that would be...if it becomes "biologically active" when combined with MAOI. Thank you though! Laughing

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

kreen
#22 Posted : 11/25/2016 5:25:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DoingKermit wrote:
I've had tinnitus for about 7 years now and it can definitely take time to get used to. Earlier this year when my housemates and I were on acid, we were playing around with some analog synths and the frequencies made the tinnitus in my left ear quite a lot worse. It went from a loud ringing/hiss to this distorted humming (similar to a seashell, as stareway6 mentioned) with an occasional popping sound. I had to come to terms with it all over again.

After a while the mind seems to adjust to this new constant sound and its not that bad at all. It's all about being mindful of loud spaces and protecting your ears to keep it from getting worse. I have to wear an earplug in my left ear even if I'm in a loud pub, as it has a slight ache and the popping noise gets worse for a few days if I don't.

So have psychedelics helped? Yes and no. I have had trips where my tinnitus seemed greatly reduced afterwards. Then I have also had trips where I felt like it became a bit worse.

Meditation helps me and sensory deprivation helped a lot in the beginning. It was all about accepting it and the only way to do that was by listening to it instead of trying to constantly mask it.

Analog synths have so wide frequency range..I'm scared of them nowadays..sorry to hear it got worse Sad
Do you mean it got worse after some trips? Permanently worse or? I wonder what causes it..
How did you deprive yourself? Earplugs..or sensory deprivation tank?
Thank you for answering Wink

DoingKermit
#23 Posted : 11/25/2016 6:57:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It has been quite hard to tell when it gets better or worse for the most part (apart from after the synth session I spoke about). It can feel as though it becomes worse through merely being anxious about it... and it can feel better just from not thinking about it and becoming more at ease.

As long as I protect them (mainly my left ear now) in certain situations, then it's usually fine. As soon as I become less strict with myself in fairly noisy areas, I may have a few days of adjusting to it once again. For the most part, this fluctuation from better to worse seems to be psychosomatic.

As for the sensory deprivation - I was using a floatation tank at a local spa. It helped me realise that what I thought was a hindrance could be used as a tool to help shut off the old mind-chatter.

I know it's quite cliche to say this, but time is the best healer with tinnitus. You can hopefully get to a point where you start accepting it and then eventually forget about it completely.

Let me know if you have any other questions Smile

kreen
#24 Posted : 11/25/2016 10:20:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DoingKermit wrote:
It has been quite hard to tell when it gets better or worse for the most part (apart from after the synth session I spoke about). It can feel as though it becomes worse through merely being anxious about it... and it can feel better just from not thinking about it and becoming more at ease.

As long as I protect them (mainly my left ear now) in certain situations, then it's usually fine. As soon as I become less strict with myself in fairly noisy areas, I may have a few days of adjusting to it once again. For the most part, this fluctuation from better to worse seems to be psychosomatic.

As for the sensory deprivation - I was using a floatation tank at a local spa. It helped me realise that what I thought was a hindrance could be used as a tool to help shut off the old mind-chatter.

I know it's quite cliche to say this, but time is the best healer with tinnitus. You can hopefully get to a point where you start accepting it and then eventually forget about it completely.

Let me know if you have any other questions Smile

Yea just got to be patient Big grin Do you mean "tool" because you then concentrate on the ringing? or How does it help you shut off the mind-chatter?

DoingKermit
#25 Posted : 11/26/2016 10:20:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I realised it was something I could use to help with meditation. When I focus on it, I can turn off my mind a bit more easily.

kreen
#26 Posted : 11/26/2016 2:21:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DoingKermit wrote:
I realised it was something I could use to help with meditation. When I focus on it, I can turn off my mind a bit more easily.

Yea I get what you meanSmile

entheogenic-gnosis
#27 Posted : 11/26/2016 3:27:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

kreen wrote:
Seeing as how it was said that MDMA relieved tinnitus, I see 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenethylamine as being a prime candidate, all the structure of MDMA, minus a few pieces, all the tinnitus relief, none of the central effects...

It would be interesting to study, I'm not sure if 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenethylamine is sceduled in the US, I'm guessing that it's not, it could possibly be seen as an analogue, but for research purposes it looks viable...

Quote:
3,4-Methylenedioxyphenethylamine ("3,4-MDPEA" or just "MDPEA"Pleased, also known as homopiperonylamine, is a substituted phenethylamine formed by adding a methylenedioxy group to phenethylamine. It is structurally similar to MDA, but without the methyl group at the alpha position.

According to Alexander Shulgin in his book PiHKAL, MDPEA appears to be biologically inactive. This is likely because of extensive first-pass metabolism by the enzyme monoamine oxidase. However, if MDPEA were either used in high enough of doses (e.g., 1-2 grams), or in combination with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), it is probable that it would become sufficiently active, though it would likely have a relatively short duration of action. This idea is similar in concept to the use of selective MAOA inhibitors and selective MAOB inhibitors in augmentation of dimethyltryptamine (DMT) and phenethylamine (PEA), respectively. -Wikipedia

...high dose or taken with an MAOI you may have an active compound, possibly psychedelic, likely entactogenic, but who knows...

As far as tinnitus relief though, a good candidate for research.

-eg

Scared of it's similarity to MDMA..as taking MDMA for long time isn't safe..don't know how safe that would be...if it becomes "biologically active" when combined with MAOI. Thank you though! Laughing

It's similarity to MDMA is nothing to be afraid of! Phenethylamines and alpha-methyl-phenethylamines are a fascinating class of compounds with a wide and diverse range of pharmocological actions and biological functions...

Phenethylamines are key to our neurological and biological functioning, dopamine is 3,4-dihydroxy-phenethylamine, adrenaline aka Epinephrine is 3,4-dihydroxy-beta-hydroxy-N-methyl-phenethylamine, and norepinephrine is 3,4-dihydroxy-beta-hydroxy-phenethylamine)

Extensive use of phenethylamine itself if fairly benign:
Quote:
Although this supplement is considered to be generally very safe – after all it is a naturally occurring compound within the human body – there have been some side effects associated with extensive use. These are generally very mild and include things like headaches, heart burn, nausea, constipation, and perhaps some insomnia, and dizziness http://nootriment.com/phenylethylamine/#

If I were conducting research regarding tinnitus medications, 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenethylamine would be my prime candidate...

tinnitus relief research may actually act as academic justification for research with 3,4-MDPEA as well other related phenethylamines, as such research may be difficult to preform with without such a goal attached to it...

However, it's fairly clear that you are not quite as enthusiastic about this topic as myself, and I don't want to fill your thread with something that's not relevant to the readers, so I'll stop here...

-eg

kreen
#28 Posted : 11/26/2016 6:51:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you though! I'll keep your posts in my mind Big grin The other one could consider is a derivative of LSD called BOL-148, I don't know if it would help tinnitus as LSD does..since BOL-148 is inactive.

Tian604
#29 Posted : 12/20/2016 4:56:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi kreen,

I don´t want to get off topic, as your post is related to "healing tinnitus with entheogens", but beside all the medical (more or less helpfull) treatments there is the posibility to treat this symptom with manual therapy as Osteopathie (in particular cranio-sacral-therapy which is a part of Osteopathie).
Not every kind of tinnitus can be treated that way, but about 30% of the people suffering from that get at least better with it, as there is a strong relation between the inner ear, the cranial bones and the cervical vertebras and this technics are also increasing blood flow in this area, as some medicaments do... but without unwanted sideefects.
I don´t know in which country you live and if there are good Osteopaths around, but if there are, I would give it a try.

Just as an aditional idea.

I hope you find a way to deal with it in a good way... which ever it might be.

Wish you the best!

RAM
#30 Posted : 12/20/2016 10:30:54 PM

Hail the keys!

I have mild tinnitus that stems from leaving earbuds in my ears all night when I was a child (I theorize). In my current apartment in an urban setting I often do not hear it because of other sounds, but when I go to suburban or rural settings I can hear the ringing again.

As I was in a suburban setting when I first began using vaporized freebase DMT, I noticed that it had a significant effect in diminishing my tinnitus during the experience as well as a few days afterward. While it would eventually return, losing it for a short period was rather significant.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

kreen
#31 Posted : 12/23/2016 8:09:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tian604 wrote:
Hi kreen,

I don´t want to get off topic, as your post is related to "healing tinnitus with entheogens", but beside all the medical (more or less helpfull) treatments there is the posibility to treat this symptom with manual therapy as Osteopathie (in particular cranio-sacral-therapy which is a part of Osteopathie).
Not every kind of tinnitus can be treated that way, but about 30% of the people suffering from that get at least better with it, as there is a strong relation between the inner ear, the cranial bones and the cervical vertebras and this technics are also increasing blood flow in this area, as some medicaments do... but without unwanted sideefects.
I don´t know in which country you live and if there are good Osteopaths around, but if there are, I would give it a try.

Just as an aditional idea.

I hope you find a way to deal with it in a good way... which ever it might be.

Wish you the best!

I'll try it! Thank you Smile

kreen
#32 Posted : 12/23/2016 8:13:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

RAM wrote:
I have mild tinnitus that stems from leaving earbuds in my ears all night when I was a child (I theorize). In my current apartment in an urban setting I often do not hear it because of other sounds, but when I go to suburban or rural settings I can hear the ringing again.

As I was in a suburban setting when I first began using vaporized freebase DMT, I noticed that it had a significant effect in diminishing my tinnitus during the experience as well as a few days afterward. While it would eventually return, losing it for a short period was rather significant.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

Wooow!
What about other psychedelics, for example LSD? Did you have the diminishing effect for days afterward with them? Your post gives me a lot of hope, it's just what I wanted to hear!

Month later I still haven't started the experiment Rolling eyes Thank you and good luck to you too!

entheogenic-gnosis
#33 Posted : 12/24/2016 12:29:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've read anecdotes regarding LSD and tinnitus, but can't find any concrete research.

You're in the perfect position to experiment with this claim, as you already have tinnitus, all you need is some LSD.

I still feel phenethylamines have more potential than lysergamides in this area...

I've read some anecdotes regarding mescaline and tinnitus, but as nothing said could be confirmed I must take them with a grain of salt.

-eg

kreen
#34 Posted : 12/27/2016 2:25:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've read anecdotes regarding LSD and tinnitus, but can't find any concrete research.

You're in the perfect position to experiment with this claim, as you already have tinnitus, all you need is some LSD.

I still feel phenethylamines have more potential than lysergamides in this area...

I've read some anecdotes regarding mescaline and tinnitus, but as nothing said could be confirmed I must take them with a grain of salt.

-eg

Yeah Thumbs up

entheogenic-gnosis
#35 Posted : 12/27/2016 2:58:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

kreen wrote:

-eg

Yeah Thumbs up

Planning an experiment?

If you do consume any of these compounds be sure to report the results.

-eg

kreen
#36 Posted : 12/27/2016 6:18:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

kreen wrote:

-eg

Yeah Thumbs up

Planning an experiment?

-eg

Yeah still planning, and I'll report ofc! Going to be a medical breakthrough Big grin

entheogenic-gnosis
#37 Posted : 12/28/2016 2:19:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

kreen wrote:
kreen wrote:

-eg

Yeah Thumbs up

Planning an experiment?

-eg

Yeah still planning, and I'll report ofc! Going to be a medical breakthrough Big grin

I was being serious...(Also, I'm fairly old, so I can't keep up with these internet/texting acronyms, I don't know what "ofc" is supposed to mean)

Do you know the story behind Casey hardison's 2C-T-7 research? Regardless, this story caught the attention of and was published by MAPS, it also caught the attention of Darrell Lemaire, which is another amazing story, any way:
Quote:
Casey Hardison, a graduate student at the University of Idaho, conducted an informal survey of 2C-T-7 users at the Entheobotany conference in Palenque, Mexico in February 2000. Noticing that quite a few people were conducting bioassays of the material, Hardison seized the opportunity to perform some informal impromptu research. He designed a survey which was handed out to conference attendees, and received 48 responses. The results of this survey were published in the Summer 2000 issue of the MAPS Bulletin under the title "An Amateur Qualitative Study of 48 2C-T-7 Subjective Bioassays."
https://erowid.org/chemi.../article1/hardison.shtml

This type of research is important.

For example, in the DMMDA entry of PIHKAL shulgin writes:
Quote:
DMMDA was the first of the tetraoxygenated amphetamine derivatives that was ever explored in man, back in 1962. And it is not easy to find an acceptable single phrase to describe its action or an acceptable number to describe its potency. I have put the value of 10 mescaline units (M.U.) into the literature and this would imply that maybe 30 milligrams was an active dose. This is probably too low, and some day I would like to run an experiment with the entire research group with this compound to see just what it really does. -shulgin ; PIHKAL

Comments like this are made frequently throughout PIHKAL/TIHKAL...I actually think that when Darrell Lemaire (a friend of shulgins) saw Casey hardison's 2C-T-7 research published through MAPS that he decided to reach out to Casey because he felt Casey would continue this type of research, casey had obviously shown he was capable of conducting such research, and his 2C-T-7 research was reminiscent of the research that Lemaire and his "lazy lizard school of hedonism" had preformed, as well as the research which was being conducted by shulgin...all of it in the genuine spirit of Arthur heffter...I think that Lemaire knew we needed skilled and intellegent individuals out there preparing these compounds and researching them, and Casey's education, attitude, and philosophy made him the perfect candidate...I honestly wish Casey would have done more research of this type before his troubles in the UK.

I am actually going to be conducting research with 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenethylamine regarding tinnitus, not anytime soon, it's low priority, but it's legitimate research and a legitimate gate way into work with phenethylamine molecules related to psychedelics, it's too appealing of a compound to pass up, and it fits the profile for a potentially viable and marketable pharmaceutical .

I've read anecdotes of many phenethylamines and alpha-methyl-phenethylamines relieving the symptoms of tinnitus, however, most of these compounds are psychoactive, making their potential as a medication become vastly reduced, 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenethylamine appears perfect in this respect, as it relieved tinnitus without our doing anything else:
Quote:
(with 200 mg) It was taken twice at different times in a dosage of 200 milligrams each time, without the slightest peripheral or central effects.

(with 300 mg) My tinnitus had disappeared. Probably nothing.
-shulgin;PIHKAL

Also, there appears to be more available research out there that shulgin hinted towards:
Quote:
MDPEA was one of the seven compounds evaluated as to toxicity and animal behavior at the University of Michigan under contract from the Army Chemical Center. Its Edgewood Arsenal code number was EA-1297. -shulgin;PIHKAL

Any way, I'm not sure why I'm posting any of this here...

If you can anecdotally confirm that LSD relieved your tinnitus symptoms, then you should record and report the information, this goes for any lysergamide or phenethylamine or even tryptamine that you decide to experiment with, if you take a compound for other reasons and it relieves your tinnitus, record and report it.

RAM's post was very helpful.

-eg

kreen
#38 Posted : 12/28/2016 4:30:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was serious too! Sorry, ofc = of course

Wow, just reading about Casey, quite a story!

Will you publish papers etc on the research you are going to do? Will you have a research group etc?

What do you think of the BOL-148 I mentioned earlier?

What do you mean "record and report"? Do you mean just post about it here on dmt-nexus or do you mean email some researchers?

Yea RAM's post was helpful! Would be nice to know if psychedelics other than DMT give him a relief days afterwards too Razz

DreaMTripper
#39 Posted : 1/5/2017 3:42:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

kreen wrote:
Hello,

I planned to post this in the "Help and Advice for Healing" forum but as I am just a little seedling I can't. Feel free to move this to another forum if this isn't the appropriate place.

I have a problem with constant ringing in my ears and also a sensitivity to sounds.

I visited the DMT realm only before I became familiar with this ringing. I don't remember hearing
the carrier wave sound then tho Big grin I mean the DMT and tinnitus didn't have anything to do with each other.

My ear problems started a few years ago because of noise exposures (loud music events and loud motorcycles passing by etc etc).

I have visited the doctors too because I am just so anxious about the tinnitus. Their advice is to learn to live with.
The only solutions doctors give is to start SSRI medication and benzodiazepines
for the worst times. But the problem is I have read too much bad stuff about these medications.
About how they can worsen the quality of life and it's a possibility they will worsen the ringing too.
And I don't want to become addicted to anything. I have only taken a benzodiazepine occasionally, when it has been too much to cope with. SSRIs I have outright refused to take.

While on benzodiazepines I could still hear the ringing but it didn't bother me. It just was "there to be heard". I would like to be able to
not care about it when I am sober, to integrate the same feelings to my regular life.
To just accept it and not constantly worry about it.

I have likened this problem to what it would be like to live with chronic pain and I have tried to read about how people cope with chronic pain. About the management techniques etc.
I keep wondering how people used to cope with this kind of things like 3000 years ago.

Something that I have been mulling around in my head is to heal myself with entheogens.
I have been thinking about DMT and Pharmahuasca and mushrooms. Or just B. caapi alone. I hope this is not "irresponsibly use" that the Nexus doesn't condone?

Now that I feel better than I felt a few weeks ago I think it is time to start the healing work.
I feel good now, the anxiety just comes and goes. I always know that it will pass soon. But it still comes back again and again.
I have been trying to just "learn to live with it" but I cannot seem to manage to do it on my own.

I hope that the entheogens would help me to accept the ringing.

I would greatly appreciate if any of you could give any input to what I am pondering. I'm just curious if other people here suffer from the ringing too. And I'm intrigued to know how you cope with it.
kreen

I have tinnitus in both ears and quite bad in my right ear with some major hearing loss that started the other week. I'm having an MRI tomorrow to see if there is something there.
The way I have coped over the years is to attach no emotion to it and to see it as part me like a heart beat or a breath. Easier said than done I know. The sound of crickets sometimes masks it completely and what a beautiful sound they make anyway.

Loveall
#40 Posted : 1/8/2018 2:42:12 AM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

New research treatment has come out. Claim is that special noise signals can help as I currently understand it.

Press release

Paper
Science Translational Medicine 03 Jan 2018:
Vol. 10, Issue 422, eaal3175
DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aal3175
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

PREV123NEXT