We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
New "Hamilton's Pharmacopeia" episode about Salvia Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#21 Posted : 11/30/2016 2:51:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ॐ wrote:
I only recently found out there was an actual TV series now.
Really enjoyed it so far. I've seen a lot of people rip on Hamilton for whatever reason, but I think he's been doing a great job documenting a lot of cool psychedelic history that is a bit off the beaten path. The old webisode on the Pickard missile silo immediately jumps to mind for instance.

The next episode is supposed to air today IIRC, highly likely featuring at least 5-bromo-DMT. I'm very curious to see a full 40+ minute episode on such an obscure topic.

I've actually been trying to find an old episode of his web series, which is strangely missing from youtube. It's the episode where he meets the Shulgins, I remember that one being a very enjoyable and touching episode but I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore Sad

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...osts&t=72515&p=2
below are some comments I made in my thread regarding this series, but apply to the episode which was being discussed:
Quote:
Just started the Ichthyoallyeinotoxism episode, and the first thing I see is Hamilton harvesting a Smenospongia which contains 5-bromo-DMT! Ever since I first purchased TIHKAL and read this entry:

Quote:
TIHKAL
DMT is everywhere (pages 247 to 284)
MARINE WORLD
"Sponges have proven to be a source of brominated tryptamines. Smenospongia maynordii has been shown to contain 5,6-dibromo-tryptamine and it's n-mono-methyl homologue (dibromo-NMT). The corresponding DMT counterpart (5,6-dibromo-DMT has been observed in S. Ehina, and the more simple 5-bromo-DMT is found in S. auria ...
"another marine source of 5-bromo-DMT is an ascidian, specifically the tunicate Eudistoma fragum, which is a sea-squirt found in New Caledonia" ... "Another tunicate, of the genus lissoclinum, contains 6-bromo-tryptamine"...
"finally, there is a marine coral corganism, a sea fan known as the gorgonian, from the Bay of Naples in the Mediterranean, with the binomian name Paramuricea chamaeleon* which has been reported to have a number of indolic compounds present without any bromine at all. DMT is present, as is NMT.
-shulgin; TIHKAL

Quote:
Two additional ring-substituted derivatives of DMT come from the marine world. 5-Bromo-DMT and 5,6-dibromo-DMT are found in the sponges Smenospongia auria and S. echina resp. I have no idea if they are active by smoking (the 5-Br-DMT just might be) but they are quantitatively reduced to DMT by stirring under hydrogen in methanol, in the presence of palladium on charcoal. A very closely related sponge, Polyfibrospongia maynardii, contains the very closely related 5,6-dibromotryptamine and the corresponding monomethyl NMT. I had the fantasy of trying to scotch the rumor I'm about to start, that all the hippies of the San Francisco Bay Area were heading to the Caribbean with packets of Zig-Zag papers, to hit the sponge trade with a psychedelic fervor. This is not true. I refuse to take credit for this myth. -shulgin; TIHKAL

I have been fascinated by these sponges...

I'll post more when I finish the episode...

-eg

Quote:

I'm curious, who was this "doctor ausculum"?...Hamilton shows a PIHKAL/TIHKAL style entry regarding 5-bromo-DMT, and claims a "doctor ausculum" had experimented with personally smoking the compound, achieving an altered state experiance...

When he collected the sample of the Smenospongia aurea sponge, when he returned to surface, the water remaining with the sponge had been stained a bluish/purple color, could this be somehow connected to the indole alkaloids in the sponge? this reminded me of psilocybin containing fungi which stain blue, it also made me think of indole:

Quote:
The name indole is a portmanteau of the words indigo and oleum, since indole was first isolated by treatment of the indigo dye with oleum -wikipedia

...I find it strange that indole compounds are often connected to blue or purple coloring in the organisms that contain them...it may just be coincidental, but it's interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306892
indigo from indole via biotransformative processes

Quote:
The "dream fish" venture fascinates me, jason wallach was probably correct when he speculated that it would take a life time of research to get the situation sorted out...

I suffer from sleep paralysis, and often encounter the EXACT symptoms that the "black surgeon fish stew" induced in Hamilton...

Maybe the neurological or chemical disorder which induces sleep paralysis as a medical condition is mimicked by compounds in these fish? (Or compounds in the combination of fish and plant spices which he had consumed)...

interesting stuff...

-eg

-eg

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

entheogenic-gnosis
#22 Posted : 11/30/2016 3:09:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

In the Ichthyoallyeinotoxism episode, while briefly exploring brominated tryptamine compounds derived from Smenospongia aurea, Hamilton mentions human consumption of 5-bromo-DMT, he claims the individual who had bioassayed the compound only gave him the name "doctor ausculum"

...now while Hamilton is explaining all this there is a PIHKAL/TIHKAL style compound entry displayed in th background, while in the foreground is a small brown glass vial, there is a 5-bromo-DMT molecule depicted on the label of the vial as well as the word 5-br-DMT, it's clearly in shulgin's handwriting, and the molecule entry which he displayed was clearly in the format shulgin was known for...

Yet, in TIHKAL shulgin writes:
Quote:
5-Bromo-DMT and 5,6-dibromo-DMT are found in the sponges Smenospongia auria and S. echina resp. I have no idea if they are active by smoking (the 5-Br-DMT just might be). they are quantitatively reduced to DMT by stirring under hydrogen in methanol, in the presence of palladium on charcoal. -shulgin;TIHKAL

Can anybody provide that entry which Hamilton displayed?

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#23 Posted : 12/5/2016 6:45:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Found the Dr. Osculum stuff...

Any way:

This upcoming Wednesday at 8 on viceland.

Hamilton
Season one episode six : the lazy lizard school

In this episode Hamilton meets with LSD chemist Casey hardison in the Nevada desert!

-eg

PREV12