We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
What is your favorite strain to grow? Options

smoothmonkey
#1 Posted : 11/8/2016 5:56:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings fellow humanoids,

I recently started my first Golden Teacher grow. I chose GT's because they seemed the simplest and easiest to grow for a first timer. I just had a few questions for some of you more experienced cultivators:

Do you have a favorite strain of entheogenic (or other type!) of mushroom to grow and why?

Are there any type of mushrooms you dislike growing or wouldn't grow again?

Skill and procedure set aside, I'm interested in what strain is your favorite! Big grin

Thanks in advance,
-monkey
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 11/8/2016 9:46:51 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I don't know about strain but species-wise Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata could be considered particularly rewarding to those with the patience for woodlovers.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

sauSage
#3 Posted : 11/8/2016 11:18:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Penis Envy...
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

TGO
#4 Posted : 11/9/2016 12:34:51 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Golden teachers are a great place to start with mushroom cultivation. IME, they are a pretty reliable when it comes to yield and potency. I've had success with other strains too such as Treasure Coast, Ecuador, Penis Envy (although, IME, PE can be tricky and I got next to nothing the first time I tried growing them) and some truffle strains.

As for my favorite, it is probably golden teachers with treasure coast coming in at a close second. As time goes by, I plan to try many others. Good luck with your project, SM!

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Old Crow
#5 Posted : 11/9/2016 4:00:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have heard that they are all about the same in the end.. a Qube is a qube.. is a qube.

I wonder about that.. I have done all kinds and I think my mind set has a lot to say about it.

B+, Golden teachers, Amazonian, and Z strain.. and others. I did like the Z strain.Big grin

staresatwalls
#6 Posted : 11/9/2016 11:21:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
I don't know about strain but species-wise Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata could be considered particularly rewarding to those with the patience for woodlovers.

What's so paricularly nice/rewarding about ovoids as opposed to something like cyans DFZ? I read you talking about them in another thread
‎"Trust in your own wetware; your psyche and your body will be reunited." -Gracie and Zarkov

in plants we trust

sauSage
#7 Posted : 11/10/2016 12:34:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Grateful One wrote:
Golden teachers are a great place to start with mushroom cultivation. IME, they are a pretty reliable when it comes to yield and potency. I've had success with other strains too such as Treasure Coast, Ecuador, Penis Envy (although, IME, PE can be tricky and I got next to nothing the first time I tried growing them) and some truffle strains.
Smile

GTs are a great place to start. That's the strain that I first grew and it caused me to fall in love with these fun little buggers.

PE can be tricky. They're definitely unique in the world of mycology, but well worth whatever energies you put into growing them. And they are proof that a cube is not always a cube...
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Old Crow
#8 Posted : 11/10/2016 2:50:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Those PE's have the look. Big grin

Spaced Out 2
#9 Posted : 11/10/2016 3:17:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure yet if I have a favorite. I just cased my Pan Cambs tonight awaiting the final product to see if I like them. I'm sure I will. Cubes are ok, (ones that I fruited), this is a fairly new hobby to me so I'm still learning as I go.
Most other shrooms I've had in the past were just whatever I could come across on the street. So who know what they were, not that I was really paying attention either.

So as for a favorite, its still up in the air until I get more experience with variety.
I'm loving liquid cultures though Love

teotenakeltje
#10 Posted : 11/10/2016 7:39:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you managed to grow Cubensis, then I would recommend you try Panaeolus Cyanescens.
Very potent and pretty easy to grow if you manage to make them feel comfortable in their artificial environment. Yield will be lower though, but definately worth a try.
I miss the days where you could buy them in any smartshop in the Netherlands...

Now if you have long cold-wet autumns where you live (northern europe, pacific NW), you could make a woodlover patch in your garden or guerilla style.
I think the most popular woodlover in europe is Psilocybe Cyanescens, but some also grow the even more potent Psilocybe Azurescens. The initial colonization will take some time (about a year) but once the patch is established you can harvest every year. Just feed them some wood-chips after harvest, and make sure to leave some mushrooms to ensure a healthy patch.

Happy growing! Smile

Spaced Out 2
#11 Posted : 11/10/2016 9:36:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

teotenakeltje wrote:
If you managed to grow Cubensis, then I would recommend you try Panaeolus Cyanescens.
Very potent and pretty easy to grow if you manage to make them feel comfortable in their artificial environment. Yield will be lower though, but definately worth a try.

Now if you have long cold-wet autumns where you live (northern europe, pacific NW), you could make a woodlover patch in your garden or guerilla style.
I think the most popular woodlover in europe is Psilocybe Cyanescens, but some also grow the even more potent Psilocybe Azurescens. The initial colonization will take some time (about a year) but once the patch is established you can harvest every year. Just feed them some wood-chips after harvest, and make sure to leave some mushrooms to ensure a healthy patch.

Happy growing! Smile

Panaeolus Cambodgeniensis is what I'm waiting on to finish out so I can take prints at the very least. I do actually have an azurescens patch going but it was unusually dry this year and I forgot to water the patch and it dried out so hopefully it will recover next year with some fresh chips. I have MS syringes of PE, treasure coast, mexicanas but one thing at a time. I will get around to fruiting the ones I have.

teotenakeltje
#12 Posted : 11/10/2016 1:48:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Panaeolus Cambodgeniensis is what I'm waiting on to finish out so I can take prints at the very least. I do actually have an azurescens patch going but it was unusually dry this year and I forgot to water the patch and it dried out so hopefully it will recover next year with some fresh chips.

Nice, maybe you can post some pics when they fruit, they are beautiful mushrooms.
Yes, I also had to water my patch, and it seems the yield suffered a bit from the dry conditions, but I still harvested plenty.
Thumbs up for the azurescens patch.

smoothmonkey
#13 Posted : 11/10/2016 7:09:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome, thanks for all of your replies.

Quote:

I've always been interested in doing an outdoor grow.... It would be so pleasing to walk out in my back yard to a beautiful little patch of fungus friends Big grin
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Bancopuma
#14 Posted : 11/10/2016 7:51:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've grown various strains of P. cubensis, as well as Panaeolus cyanescens "Hawaiian"...the latter species is a little fussier than cubensis with regard to its growing conditions but in my experience induces a much higher order mushroom experience...much easier on the body, less anxiety during the come up, and they reliably induce a much more clear, clean, lucid, crystalline and colourful state of bemushroomed consciousness, independent of setting. Cubensis is a great species for newcomers to the mushroom growing hobby given their ease of growing but I have no interest in growing these any more, personally. A few additional points, cubensis spore prints and the dried mushrooms themselves do not retain potency long term as well as other species.

While I have past experience with the Pan cyans, the next species on my "to grow" list are the following:

Panaeolus cambodginiensis (Sandose Domesticate & Suphanburi Thailand “Goliath” strains) - Unlike the aforementioned Panaeolus cyanescens, these are apparently as easy to grow as P. cubensis. While they are low yielding compared to cubensis, they are reported as being among the most potent Panaeolus mushrooms, these are known for inducing a very high order mushroom experience that many find markedly preferable to cubensis.

Tek:

https://www.shroomology....ose-in-mini-zombie-tubs/

Psilocybe mexicana (Chicon Nindo/Huautla de Jimenez & Jalisco strains) - A species employed by the Aztecs, and revered very highly still by the indigenous Mexican Mazatec, who know probably more about psilocybe mushrooms than any other indigenous group anywhere. The favoured species of the late, great Mazatec shaman Maria Sabina who introduced psiocybe mushrooms to the Western world. The past emphasis of this species has been on the sclerotia or "truffles"...but people should really be directing their attention to the mushrooms themselves. A great deal more potent than cubensis, people consistently report a much higher order experience than that induced by consumption of cubensis, and can be grown in bulk with the right set up, there are some amazing teks out there for this (including one linked below). I was in contact with someone recently with many decades of mushroom experience growing many different species, and this was the only species they continue to ingest (while agreeing that the species below is also a very special one).

Tek:

https://mycotopia.net/to...do-in-huatla-de-jimenez/

Psilocybe hoogshagenii var. convexa (AKA P. semperviva) - A species employed by several indigenous groups in Mexico. Has a reputation for being a "wise mushroom". I was in contact with someone recently who employs mushrooms in shamanic ceremonies he holds, he has grown 30 different mushroom species and considers these the best of the best. Very potent, very magical and also not hard to grow, they just take a while.

Tek:

https://mycotopia.net/to...ar-convexa-p-semperviva/

Quote:
I'm not sure yet if I have a favorite. I just cased my Pan Cambs tonight awaiting the final product to see if I like them. I'm sure I will.

Dude please chime in back on this thread when you've sampled your Pan cambs!! Would be very interested to hear how you get on! Thumbs up

teotenakeltje
#15 Posted : 11/10/2016 8:46:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma wrote:
...much easier on the body, less anxiety during the come up, and they reliably induce a much more clear, lucid, crystalline and colourful state of bemushroomed consciousness, independent of setting. Cubensis is a great species for newcomers to the mushroom growing hobby given their ease of growing but I have no interest in growing these any more, personally.

I feel exactly the same! I've loved Pans from the moment I saw them the first time in Dutch smartshops, that was about 10 years ago.

Bancopuma wrote:
[ Unlike the aforementioned P. cyanescens, these are apparently as easy to grow as cubensis.

Very interesting, I didn't know that! I grew Pan. Cyanescens once, in a 'shotgun terrarium' and the yield was very low, probably because something was off. Temperature, humidity, fresh air exchange....

smoothmonkey wrote:
It would be so pleasing to walk out in my back yard to a beautiful little patch of fungus friends Big grin

It definitely is... Cool
teotenakeltje attached the following image(s):
IMG_0023.JPG (1,588kb) downloaded 466 time(s).
IMG_0024.JPG (1,908kb) downloaded 464 time(s).
IMG_0026.JPG (2,409kb) downloaded 464 time(s).

Spaced Out 2
#16 Posted : 11/10/2016 10:10:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure yet if I have a favorite. I just cased my Pan Cambs tonight awaiting the final product to see if I like them. I'm sure I will.

Dude please chime in back on this thread when you've sampled your Pan cambs!! Would be very interested to hear how you get on! Thumbs up

I most certainly will, this is my second time trying to fruit these, no luck the first time, contams got me. This time around I'm actually doing it Annie style and so far its working out fine. If these do fruit I think I will try a full WBR substrate. I mixed in wbr this time at a 60/40 ratio with manure being the 60. I watched through the pp5 containers and could see that the mycelium was colonizing the rice way faster than the manure. We will see.

Awesome pickins there teotenakeltje ^^^Thumbs up
I will make sure to take pics BTW if I can get these to fruit.

Old Crow
#17 Posted : 11/11/2016 2:40:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Have only grow cubes.. never tried Pan Cyanescens. Need to find a place to get a good spore print.

If they grow like qubes it will be easy. I just ...Love... the little guys..Rolling eyes

smoothmonkey
#18 Posted : 11/11/2016 3:06:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bancopuma, thank you for the wealth of information Smile

That's exactly what I was looking for. Once my skills hone I will be checking these out for sure.

For now... patiently waiting for mycelium to colonize my first cakes Pleased
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

tseuq
#19 Posted : 3/9/2017 10:50:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Picture (gif) of an acutal grow and definitely one of my evergreens... Psilocybe Cubensis GT. I am symbioting with this particular genetic(/organism/friend) since more than 10 years.

Mushi love. Love

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

benzyme
#20 Posted : 3/10/2017 7:17:17 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

c. paspali. I mastered it 6 years ago.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
IMG_0332.JPG (97kb) downloaded 345 time(s).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

12NEXT