We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Ambient music recommendations Options

ducdevil
#21 Posted : 10/31/2016 4:52:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

BecometheOther wrote:
For ambient type music Steve roach and Byron metcalf are far and out my favorites. In my opinion half of the recommendations here are not within the ambient genre but are more like psychill

For me ambient music is more serious and real then a lot of modern psychedelic music. I feel like this is because realized ambient masters are not concerned with aesthetics but use the music as a vehicle to drive in the realm of conciousness, as apposed to more beat and melody heavy Psy which for me always has the aspect of a show or a trick where it is at least partially about the artist And demonstrating his mastery and skills as apposed to being like ambient using the music as a vehicle.

I know from experience because I have made both types of music Smile
Ambient is very sophisticated music I love it.

i agree completely. "ambient" has sort of mutated from what Eno originally envisioned...as "atmospheric" music/sounds, to a genre of dance music. not at all, in my opinion, for journeys with the molecule.

Steve Roach is one of the pioneers - a fave of mine as well. might i suggest his triad of releases, "Quiet Music - 1, 2 and 3" beautiful, transformative and epic.

peace

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#22 Posted : 10/31/2016 11:29:52 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I searched for "Quiet Music - 1, 2 and 3" and found this instead.

Maybe benzyme watched this, once upon a time?

(The erotic charge is quite remarkable, too...)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

benzyme
#23 Posted : 11/1/2016 4:16:12 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

very nice. Big grin

as for defining ambient music...let's not be Eno-pretentious. Karlheinz Stockhausen and Edgard Varese arguably set the stage for Steve Roach et al. (of course, there's John Cage, but that goes without saying). they laid down the blueprints for electronic music in general.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

anon_003
#24 Posted : 11/1/2016 10:35:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Benzyme wrote:
(of course, there's John Cage, but that goes without saying).

John Cage - 4'33

Not 100% sure if this pun wasn't already implied.

Buh dum, pshhhhhhhhh.

Once in a while, you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ducdevil
#25 Posted : 11/1/2016 11:08:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
very nice. Big grin

as for defining ambient music...let's not be Eno-pretentious. Karlheinz Stockhausen and Edgard Varese arguably set the stage for Steve Roach et al. (of course, there's John Cage, but that goes without saying). they laid down the blueprints for electronic music in general.

mr. benzyme Very happy

wasn't trying to be pretentious (i'm kinda sensitive)...just presenting my particular view on his music and his intention.

as a musician and a student of music for over 50 years, i really enjoy all music that creates and enhances atmospherics. Varese, Cage...very great and applicable in this paradigm. good call.

one could actually see and hear a great deal of chamber music as "ambient". trios and quartets have these qualities, not to mention the amazing symmetry of most Baroque music.

Bach and spice mix very well together Thumbs up

peace

acacian
#26 Posted : 11/3/2016 12:43:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just listened through twentythreee by carbon based lifeforms lastnight.. some of their works I like more than others. My recommendation which I'll add is not quite ambient but makes much use of ambience in a cool way.. is Inner Reality by Mental Extensions.. its full of incredibly intricate and original styles of rhythm, tight psychedelic production, warm and curious melodies full of mystique.. and he really know's how to make a good bassline. i'd say its almost my favourite album of all time.

this is one of my favourite tracks on it

https://www.youtube.com/...y8MCuUbj1PFs&index=3

acacian
#27 Posted : 11/18/2016 6:53:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ducdevil wrote:
this is an absolutely fantastic and essential thread!

here are some faves i have not seen mentioned yet:

Altus (truly amazing)
Phillip Wilkerson
Simon Wilkinson
Causeyoufair (only 1 release, but stunning)
Hakobune (prolific from Japan)
Jeff Pearce (master of ambient guitar - almost out-does Robin Guthrie)
Harold Budd / Clive Wright (3 releases, "Little Windows", "Candylion", "A Song For Lost Blossoms)

that should keep you busy for a while Wink

Altus is fantastic listened to a few of his albums lastnight.. the track "grasslands" off the album "the wanderer" is beautiful.

this is a very nice album by John Serrie I thought I'd share..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIFeceB-S9k

Nereus
#28 Posted : 11/18/2016 11:24:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nereus
#29 Posted : 11/18/2016 11:39:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Almost forgot to post one of my all time favourite... for the more elite inclined that are present here...

Composer/trumpeter Jon Hassell is the visionary creator of a style of music he describes as Fourth World, a mysterious, unique hybrid of music both ancient and digital, composed and improvised, Eastern and Western. After composition studies and university degrees in the USA, he went to Europe to study electronic and serial music with Karlheinz Stockhausen. Several years later, he returned to New York where his first recordings were made with minimalist masters La Monte Young and Terry Riley, through whom he met the Hindustani raga master, Pandit Pran Nath, and embarked on a lifelong quest to transmute his teacher's Kirana vocal mastery into a new trumpet sound and style. In the last two decades, he has recorded albums which have, over the years, become so widely appropriated that many of their innovations have become woven anonymously into the texture of contemporary music high and low.

benzyme
#30 Posted : 11/18/2016 3:54:58 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Big grin
benzyme attached the following image(s):
IMG_3152.JPG (1,311kb) downloaded 136 time(s).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

#31 Posted : 11/18/2016 6:43:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

benzyme wrote:
Big grin

Stop

Thumbs up

Cool

Botany <3

Gonzukes
#32 Posted : 11/21/2016 8:44:35 AM

Diviner of Sound

Huge fan of ambient (especially psybient) and in my opinion these are some of the highest quality musicians in the genre:

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Tipper

Solar Fields

Ishq

Stellardrone

Cell

Aes Dana

Brian Eno

Sonus Lab

Aphex Twin

Biosphere

Koan

Ott

Shpongle (not quite ambient but seriously)

There are so many other great producers I can't think of..

ducdevil
#33 Posted : 11/21/2016 3:16:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Gonzukes wrote:
Huge fan of ambient (especially psybient) and in my opinion these are some of the highest quality musicians in the genre:

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Tipper

Solar Fields

Ishq

Stellardrone

Cell

Aes Dana

Brian Eno

Sonus Lab

Aphex Twin

Biosphere

Koan

Ott

Shpongle (not quite ambient but seriously)

There are so many other great producers I can't think of..

oh yeah - for sure

Ishq is one of my all-time faves, along with my Eno-pretentiousness Big grin

Biosphere also tops, but sometimes a little too much for tripping.

#34 Posted : 11/23/2016 2:34:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Going back and listening to CBLs album 'Interloper" now, followed by Solar Fields 'Movements' album.

Great music for this winter. Love

Some of these i've never heard of, going to have to start digging through these.

OrionFyre
#35 Posted : 11/23/2016 5:01:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I like Shastro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZmCGL6YF0
Very nice.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Take the third hit
Then youuu....

steppa
#36 Posted : 11/23/2016 9:50:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

LA police scanner, overlaid with random ambient electronic music.

http://youarelisteningtolosangeles.com/

Pretty cool.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

#37 Posted : 11/23/2016 12:34:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Currently:

slugware
#38 Posted : 11/23/2016 11:09:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cognitive Heart
#39 Posted : 11/24/2016 3:43:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mother Sunrise by Sola Translatio..

'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

benzyme
#40 Posted : 11/24/2016 5:17:18 AM

analytical chemist

steppa wrote:
LA police scanner, overlaid with random ambient electronic music.

http://youarelisteningtolosangeles.com/

Pretty cool.

there's another one for detroit, and many other cities, apparently.

http://youarelistening.to

PREV123NEXT