We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2345NEXT
I finally got a mass spec Options

1ce
#61 Posted : 9/8/2016 12:41:43 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

I see, so it's kind of like using a weight to calibrate your balance, fixed value.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#62 Posted : 9/8/2016 12:56:20 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

precisely.
the mass spec is a molecular balance.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

1ce
#63 Posted : 9/8/2016 1:09:23 AM

that's kind of what it looks like. so if I got this right it uses lc to seperate compounds, feeds it to the mass spec, and your feedback is the molecular weight of the analyte(s)?

That's actually pretty cool :3

downwardsfromzero
#64 Posted : 9/8/2016 1:55:01 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

1ce wrote:
That's actually pretty cool :3

That's actually exceedingly useful, too. Not just the MW of the substance but, more so, the fragmentation pattern gives good clues as to the identity of the molecule. If it's a known substance the mass spectrum can be referred to a library of spectra for confirmation (IIRC!).

Now, which Nexian can get hold of a NMR machine? That would help crack a few puzzles as well.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jees
#65 Posted : 9/8/2016 5:48:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there no 'danger' that some of the sample becomes z=2 or 3 which would result in multiple peaks for same sample?

benzyme
#66 Posted : 9/8/2016 6:21:45 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yes, and it depends on the sample (i.e. multiple charge states with larger molecules, like peptides and proteins).
small molecules are more straightforward, and the scan range is defined to isolate the respective isotopic masses.

simple math is used to determine which functional groups are dissociated within the scan range defined.
for instance, a difference of 15 between two peaks may mean a [primary] methyl group dissociated.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Jees
#67 Posted : 9/8/2016 9:25:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TY.
Got mustard here: What is m/z?
So the readout demands some interpretation, and perhaps according editing on screen?

joedirt
#68 Posted : 9/8/2016 11:03:02 PM

Not I

HuZaaah! That kicks major ass. Jesus man this is quite the machine to have at home and running off solar power!

benzyme wrote:
there she is, the LC-MS

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

benzyme
#69 Posted : 9/10/2016 6:07:23 AM

analytical chemist

I bought that syringe pump in 2010 on e.bay for $78. it needed a new voltage selector switch, which I bought for $8 more, and installed/soldered it myself. just sold it for $202.50.

that means I got the HPLC rig for $200. Big grin
benzyme attached the following image(s):
File Sep 10, 12 11 53 AM.jpg (1,099kb) downloaded 212 time(s).

1ce
#70 Posted : 9/10/2016 6:28:56 AM

damn thats a steal. I eas looking at a syringe pump for fine filtration. Razz

PsilocybeChild
#71 Posted : 12/9/2016 6:34:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you ready to take samples for analysis? I'd be interested in sending you some. I was about to send one out to EcstasyData but could send it to you instead.

Quote:
Ecstasy tablets (pressed tablets, not capsules with powder) can be sent to the lab with a $40 US Dollar co-pay in cash. All other ecstasy or research chemical samples must be sent with $100 testing fee. For pharmaceutical tablets and herbal supplements the fee is $150 per sample.

I can't afford there rates ($100), but would like to contribute info to the community.
―λlτΡrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

obliguhl
#72 Posted : 12/9/2016 12:48:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme
#73 Posted : 12/9/2016 1:47:23 PM

analytical chemist

didn't realize how busy this new job would keep me..
still, I've managed to do a lot of troubleshooting here and there (LCMS is about 50% troubleshooting, 40% analysis, 10% maintenance), and the weather is cool enough to safely operate all day.
I had a colleague weigh out standards in the lab a couple days ago, will prepare serial dilutions for tuning solution, and will tune and recalibrate either today or tomorrow. my first experiments will be cannabis extracts, as I still need to print data for some associates.

if this pans out fine, I will accept other samples. sorry for the delay, been very busy; 50+ hour weeks in the lab leave me little time in the morning, and exhausted in the evening. trying to balance spending time with the mrs is another issue...

however, I didn't get this instrument solely for tinkering, so I'll get crackalackin this weekend. no worries...sample prep and mass spec is what I do at work, and I enjoy it. so this side work is no burden. and the wife supports it Thumbs up

benzyme
#74 Posted : 12/9/2016 4:20:46 PM

analytical chemist

she's happy today Big grin

benzyme
#75 Posted : 12/15/2016 2:53:08 PM

analytical chemist

benzyme wrote:
I may invest in a nanospray emitter eventually

Cool done.
http://r.ebay.com/OfieHo

Biawak
#76 Posted : 12/15/2016 3:15:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nice. You the man, benzyme!

"The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation." - Terence McKenna

benzyme
#77 Posted : 12/15/2016 3:27:29 PM

analytical chemist

thank you, good sir.

I wasn't satisfied with the sensitivity I was getting with orthogonal electrospray, and I'm running low on nitrogen.
One option was to outright buy a cylinder with nitrogen ($378 ), and keep having to get it filled (still doesn't address the sensitivity issues), or get a nanospray interface ($425, I made an offer), front dispersion, and eliminate the need for nitrogen, as well as increase sensitivity. nanospray achieves this by lowering the flowrate to low uL/min, or nL/min. this modification effectively modernizes my instrument, analysis of picograms of material is feasible.

for those who are unclear of what sensitivity means, it is a function of an acceptable signal to noise ratio, >10:1.

1ce
#78 Posted : 12/16/2016 3:19:16 AM

Damn dude. Damn.

Mindlusion
#79 Posted : 12/16/2016 4:58:59 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Merry Christmas Big grin
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

benzyme
#80 Posted : 12/16/2016 5:53:48 AM

analytical chemist

thx Big grin

I have experience with this sort of setup. I have the option of installing a sony xc-st30 CCD camera, to observe the Taylor cone/plume. nanospray is legit for research, but not ideal for high-throughput testing (high volume).
It does save $$ in terms of solvents and lack of sheath gas. I can still test plant samples, I just need to filter everything through 0.22 um filters.

hey, 1ce and Mindillusion...we all have that mad scientist spirit in us. Keep doin' what you do.

*edit* damn..I just ordered chromeleon 6.8, so now I can program gradients, and control famos (autosampler), and a uv detector, if I get those.
I downsized the plumbing to capillary, to accommodate the lower flowrates needed for nanospray.

«PREV2345NEXT