We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
My refrigerator is spying on me - advice from computer experts, hackers, crackers, etc... Options

Ufostrahlen
#21 Posted : 2/15/2016 9:35:46 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Bodhisativa wrote:
Given your signature, I'm curious as to what you make of all this. Can this technology be abused?

I was being sarcastic, of course it can be abused, like all technology. The wifi signal changes when a person enters the room, so all you need do, is modify the wifi firmware in the fridge so it knows the difference between signal a) static room and signal b) people moving around the fridge. The question is: can you upgrade the firmware of the fridge via wifi. Btw I have an awesome idea for the next-gen fridge (this needs a 24/7 connection to the cloud and an inbuilt microphone): speech commands1!!

Quote:
Samsung could be investigated by the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the US following a complaint which claims its smart TVs record private conversations without informing users.

http://www.theguardian.c...cy-law-campaigners-claim

Quote:
Goodbye privacy, hello 'Alexa': Amazon Echo, the home robot who hears it all

http://www.theguardian.c...home-robot-privacy-cloud

etc...
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Koornut
#22 Posted : 2/15/2016 10:27:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Siri is always listening.

tightens strap around tinfoil hat
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Ufostrahlen
#23 Posted : 2/15/2016 10:39:07 AM

Sphorange wrote:
Siri is always listening.

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
Siri's watching you

Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

PsyDuckmonkey
#24 Posted : 2/15/2016 12:54:18 PM

witch

Okay, so first stop panicking. Just because a device creates an ad-hoc WiFi network doesn't mean it's sending any data anywhere. Unless you provided these devices with an explicit gateway to the Internet, it's all just connecting up inside your apartment. No data is going anywhere. Also try re-examining your extreme paranoia standpoint, people aren't out to get you.

(ADD: There most likely ARE people out to get you, say the DEA... but if you aren't either an idiot or a drug millionaire, then they don't know about you specifically, and it's unlikely that they will learn of you from your fridge.)

Once you're done, you have two options. If you aren't tech-savvy, and really don't want this (though what difference does it make - you already have a bunch of internet-enabled crap if I read you right), post your fridge on Craigslist, sell it, buy a cheaper dumb one and be happy about making some free money.

The other option is to start browsing the web. You have no reason to go on the "dark web" for something like this, there is plenty of IoT firmware hacking info on the "light web" as well. People convert these things to play Super Mario World and similar, for fun.

Attempting to modify the hardware is just plain dumb. You're throwing money away, essentially, and the fridge may stop functioning altogether - there is the possibility the same system-on-chip manages the actual refrigeration stuff as the "smart" stuff.
Do you believe in the THIRD SUMMER OF LOVE?

hug46
#25 Posted : 2/15/2016 1:14:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I"m no expert in these types of things but if it was me, and i was worrying about exterior entities snooping on me via my new smart fridge, i would take my fridge and go to live in a wifi and internet free environment (maybe a cave in the Carpathian mountains ?) and attempt to open up a meaningful dialogue with it, which would hopefully develop into some kind of spiritually rewarding relationship between the two of us.

Ufostrahlen
#26 Posted : 3/8/2016 3:26:06 PM

PREV12