We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Dan Harris: Hack Your Brain's Default Mode with Meditation Options

Ufostrahlen
#1 Posted : 3/24/2015 10:41:08 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

steppa
#2 Posted : 3/24/2015 12:25:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice one. It helps me feeling bad for not meditating. Thanks!
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

Cognitive Heart
#3 Posted : 3/24/2015 12:50:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the clip. Thumbs up I shall share.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Ufostrahlen
#4 Posted : 3/24/2015 3:30:15 PM

Cognitive Heart wrote:
Thanks for the clip. Thumbs up I shall share.

Yes, pass this on!

steppa wrote:
Nice one. It helps me feeling bad for not meditating. Thanks!

Haha, that was the intention! Great that it had an impact on you. I mean, even a news anchor is meditating and you're not?! Big grin

Btw, I got the video from the Gnaural facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/Gnaural
My point is, if you feel stressed about sitting in lotus, saying om and being ultra spritual, try listing to binaural beats instead. Here are some instructions:

https://www.facebook.com...al/posts/279488085419222

The Gnaural facebook site has a lot of good links besides the above mentioned, don't forget to check them out.

On the other side of the meditation spectrum is this, a more old-fashioned, non-technology India-thing:

I don't feel comfortable chanting hare while doing the hand thing, but aiming for +50% instead of +100% is okay for me, too.

Happy meditation and lots of money!
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

steppa
#5 Posted : 3/24/2015 3:54:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

Haha, that was the intention! Great that it had an impact on you. I mean, even a news anchor is meditating and you're not?! Big grin

My point is, if you feel stressed about sitting in lotus, saying om and being ultra spritual, try listing to binaural beats instead.

*gg* The thing for me is, that I don't really feel, that I _need_ meditation. I know that I would benefit from it for sure. But it's not like that I'm stressed out from my life or my environment. I'm pretty content. Maybe too content.
This is why I can't really motivate myself to do it frequently and regularly. I know it would be good for me, but I'm not really in need for it. So why should I bother about it? That's the question I must find an answer to. This answer would get me to meditate on a regular base.

But the imagination of turnig off the "default-state" seems compelling and like it's worth a try. I guess this will settle in my brain for a while now. Maybe it helps me to come to the point, that I say "I WANT TO CHANGE MY DEFAULT STATE!". Then I'll do it. But I'm not really there yet.

Ufostrahlen
#6 Posted : 3/24/2015 4:55:14 PM

steppa wrote:

*gg* The thing for me is, that I don't really feel, that I _need_ meditation. I know that I would benefit from it for sure. But it's not like that I'm stressed out from my life or my environment. I'm pretty content. Maybe too content.
This is why I can't really motivate myself to do it frequently and regularly. I know it would be good for me, but I'm not really in need for it. So why should I bother about it? That's the question I must find an answer to. This answer would get me to meditate on a regular base.

But the imagination of turnig off the "default-state" seems compelling and like it's worth a try. I guess this will settle in my brain for a while now. Maybe it helps me to come to the point, that I say "I WANT TO CHANGE MY DEFAULT STATE!". Then I'll do it. But I'm not really there yet.

I totally understand. I've seen your nice plant pics, with these plants I would be content for a while, too Smile So yeah, why bother if your feel content? I guess I don't have an answer for that. But since you felt bad about the video, maybe your not _that_ content. Maybe get high and try some binaural beats? Meditation is such a big word, but there are lots of ways towards it. Maybe you would benefit from some BB while MJ massages your CB1 receptors. Also, don't tell me you have enough money... Very happy

steppa
#7 Posted : 3/24/2015 5:18:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
But since you felt bad about the video, maybe your not _that_ content.

Yes, not _that_ content, because I know theres always lots of upside (not sure if this translated correctly --> "Luft nach oben"Pleased. But I also know that there ALWAYS will be lots of upside, no matter how far you have come

Quote:
Maybe get high and try some binaural beats? Meditation is such a big word, but there are lots of ways towards it.

I know this. It's not like I never tried it. I really liked Alan Watts approach which he explains in the video "Alan Watts - Teaches the Art of Meditation".

Quote:
Also, don't tell me you have enough money... Very happy

Hm...I don't really see the connection here. But I'm interested in it. *ggg*

Ufostrahlen
#8 Posted : 3/24/2015 5:37:29 PM

steppa wrote:
Yes, not _that_ content, because I know theres always lots of upside (not sure if this translated correctly --> "Luft nach oben"Pleased. But I also know that there ALWAYS will be lots of upside, no matter how far you have come.

Yeah, there's always room to grow. So why not grow?

Quote:
I know this. It's not like I never tried it. I really liked Alan Watts approach which he explains in the video "Alan Watts - Teaches the Art of Meditation".

Mhh, I have a problem with Alan Watts, since he was an alcoholic in the end. There's something wrong with his meditation approach imo.

Quote:
Hm...I don't really see the connection here. But I'm interested in it. *ggg*

Watch the Har Meditation for Prosperity video I've posted in the 2nd reply. I mean if even prosperity doesn't attract you, you really must have reached a higher state of consciousness. No need to meditate. You've rescued the princess!

steppa
#9 Posted : 3/24/2015 6:48:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
Yeah, there's always room to grow. So why not grow?

Good question.
I grew a lot in the last two years. Several peole even told me so, without asking them. Basically since I started to use DMT. I became more reflictive. My thoughts became more coordinated. Maybe I am afraid. Afraid of becoming too serious...of loosing my inner child. Afraid of taking myself too serious. Afraid of outgrowing things I love. Afraid of becoming discontentet. I do not really know.

I dont like this "I must grow, because I can." I see where we got with that...as humanity. It seems wrong to me. Or at least it seems to not be the only right thing to do.

Why not beeing happy with that one already has?

I know this only can come over my lips so easily because I already have what I need. And even more. Maybe even too much? I do not really know.

Often, when I see other people, I am ashamed of how good my live feels. I have the most respect for people who do not always want more, more and more. Especially when they have next to nothing. For me that seems like a goal to strafe for.

Quote:
Mhh, I have a problem with Alan Watts, since he was an alcoholic in the end.

I did not know that. But what he says in this video still rings my bells.
Quote:

Watch the Har Meditation for Prosperity video I've posted in the 2nd reply. I mean if even prosperity doesn't attract you, you really must have reached a higher state of consciousness. No need to meditate.

I did not watch it. I do not like the image you posted. It seems wrong too me. Where does the money come from. I imagine poor people giving it in hope of "enlightment".

When I wanted to have more money, for me this would mean I would just have to work harder. I do not want to work harder, although I certainly could. I think that people who make money without working hard for it, only can do this by ripping of other people. Thats not my style.

Just to make it clear...I do not say this in regard to the video you posted, as I have not watched it.

Quote:
You've rescued the princess!

Not only this. I even married her. Very happy

...and now again, I feel a little ashamed, when reading my post. That is because for me it feels so easy to be content...and then I see other people. Trying and trying really hard (much harder then me) and not getting there...this makes me sad.

3rdI
#10 Posted : 3/24/2015 7:47:42 PM

veni, vidi, spici

never feel ashamed of your happiness steppa, you deserve itThumbs up
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

hug46
#11 Posted : 3/24/2015 8:11:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:

Why? (apologies in advance for possibly derailing your thread; I wont feel offended if you choose not to reply in order to curtail said derailment).

joedirt
#12 Posted : 3/24/2015 9:41:39 PM

Not I

hug46 wrote:
Ufostrahlen wrote:

Why? (apologies in advance for possibly derailing your thread; I wont feel offended if you choose not to reply in order to curtail said derailment).

I am with you. Sure Alan Watts had an alcohol problem... but does that change the profundity of his talks?

I hate when people try to latch on to one bad thing about a person and use that to try and discredit them. Alan Watts was a great philosopher and he understood the psychedelic experience well. He also had one of the deepest understandings of Eastern mysticism at the time and honestly was a fine spokesperson.

Was he enlightened? Nope... but he also didn't claim to be either. He was a human and he had his issues.. who among us can claim to be better?
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

hug46
#13 Posted : 3/24/2015 11:13:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

joedirt wrote:

I am with you. Sure Alan Watts had an alcohol problem... but does that change the profundity of his talks?

I came across Alan Watts by way of this forum and yes i agree that his alcoholism does not detract from his words. If you talk sense, you talk sense. Not only that, if his alcoholism was down to inner demons, these demons can also lead one to some valuable personal and philosophical insights.

We tend to put influential people on a pedestal and when they turn out to be less than perfect (as we all are) we can feel short changed.

DesykaLamgeenie
#14 Posted : 3/25/2015 12:45:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I just heard a day or two ago from a non-Alan Watts source that Alan Watts himself said something about everyone having a certain "element of irreducible rascality" - meaning that everyone, no matter how great or masterful in their art or life in general, had some sort of element to their being that some would label a fault or imperfection. Could be alcohol, or smoking, or a lust for women, whatever.

Haven't watched this yet, but:

Ufostrahlen
#15 Posted : 3/25/2015 1:55:27 AM

joedirt wrote:
hug46 wrote:
Ufostrahlen wrote:

Yes it does. He sure did talk the talk, but did he walk the walk? Personally, I don't care about peoples teachings who don't come from a practical experience. And if you die at 58 because of alcohol problems, your meditation clearly sucked (imo). I don't have a need for that.

Quote:
I did not watch it. I do not like the image you posted. It seems wrong too me. Where does the money come from. I imagine poor people giving it in hope of "enlightment".

It's okay, Osho was a provocative person. But his point was right, there's nothing noble about being poor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Osho fanboy either. He died "young" because of diabetes, but he should have been able to cure himself. Still better than Watts, tho.

Quote:
I dont like this "I must grow, because I can." I see where we got with that...as humanity. It seems wrong to me. Or at least it seems to not be the only right thing to do.

Why not beeing happy with that one already has?

Stasis is death. You either grow up or die.

joedirt
#16 Posted : 3/25/2015 10:35:51 AM

Not I

Ufostrahlen wrote:
joedirt wrote:
hug46 wrote:
Ufostrahlen wrote:

Yes it does. He sure did talk the talk, but did he walk the walk? Personally, I don't care about peoples teachings who don't come from a practical experience. And if you die at 58 because of alcohol problems, your meditation clearly sucked (imo). I don't have a need for that.

Well No it doesn't. So he drank alcohol. Doesn't mean that everything else in his life was just crap. Jesus that is so freaking judgemental.

Consider this. When you die the world will likely forget you in a matter of years.. Allan Watts will however be remembered far into the future. So you may not find his words useful, but many others have. Myself included. He was a MAN. He was human. He had his issues. But to imply that his alcoholism trumped everything else is absurd..

BTW You realize you are taking aim at this man from a drug forum? Something about a pot and a kettle here...

But hey dude it's your perception of the universe cloud it up however you want.

I'll keep listening to Allen Watts talks because they are actually inspiring and quite frankly matching up pretty closely with the insights I gain myself.
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

steppa
#17 Posted : 3/25/2015 10:56:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:

It's okay, Osho was a provocative person. But his point was right, there's nothing noble about being poor.

So far I agree. But I see something noble in beeing contend with what one has. Like these guys here:

If wealth is ones only source of contentedness, I'd call this person poor.

Quote:
Stasis is death. You either grow up or die.

You got me with this one, as I use to say something very similar. But i put it a bit differently. I say "No progression without change". Growth is'n always good. So...yes. I want to change. I always want. And now comes a thing which I just realized. What I want to change right know isn't my mind, as I am contend with it. What I have to do is bodywork. Hell yeah!

Thanks for this. Smile

3rdI
#18 Posted : 3/25/2015 10:59:38 AM

veni, vidi, spici

damn, Ufostrahlen, thats pretty harsh.

i have a friend that is so much better at the game of life than I am it almost hurts.

I think near enough every part of his life is better than mine, happier family, more socially able, healthier, smarter, fitter, more disaplined, happier, better job, the list is endless, he's even better looking than i am god damn him.

I have helped him many times and he has been grateful to the point of tears at some of the things i have made him see differently.

do you think my failings, when compared to his successes, make my wisdom/teachings/help useless to him.

Alan Watts is a giant amoungst men and to dismiss him because he had an alcohol problem is insane. Do we even know why he developed a problem in the first place? it doesnt matter who you are, the world sometimes gets to much to handle.

i dont care how good your meditation is, your still a monkey that can be broken by the world.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

steppa
#19 Posted : 3/25/2015 11:00:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

3rdI wrote:
never feel ashamed of your happiness steppa, you deserve itThumbs up

Nah...it's not like that I'm ashamed for beeing happy. It's more like that I _sometimes_ am ashamed of how easy life is for me. There are so many people who are trying SO hard without really getting there. And I think THEY somehow deserve it more or at least too.

hug46
#20 Posted : 3/25/2015 4:28:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ufostrahlen wrote:
joedirt wrote:
Sure Alan Watts had an alcohol problem... but does that change the profundity of his talks?

Yes it does. He sure did talk the talk, but did he walk the walk?

What about the seven sages of the bamboo grove ?

Quote:
The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove (also known as the Seven Worthies of the Bamboo Grove) were a group of Chinese scholars, writers, and musicians of the 3rd century CE...............The Seven Sages stressed the enjoyment of Chinese alcoholic beverages, personal freedom, spontaneity and a celebration of nature.

If a self destructive alcoholic told you not to stick your head in the oven would you turn your nose up at his advice because he didnt walk the walk?

12NEXT