We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV7891011NEXT»
Dabbing DMT: The Way of the Future Options

imjohn56
#161 Posted : 3/10/2016 2:09:24 PM

professional worrier

i have good smooth vapor, if i find a good, not to low temp and use a carb cap thing. they work amazing i don't even attempt it without that. or sometimes i just load the nail up cold, (so i don't burn my spice) and slowly heat it from closer to the middle and wait for the vapor to start, and throw my carb on! Very happy

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ima Monkey
#162 Posted : 3/10/2016 2:24:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

imjohn56 wrote:
i have good smooth vapor, if i find a good, not to low temp and use a carb cap thing. they work amazing i don't even attempt it without that. or sometimes i just load the nail up cold, (so i don't burn my spice) and slowly heat it from closer to the middle and wait for the vapor to start, and throw my carb on! Very happy

That makes sense. With Cannabis, the temp needs to be sufficiently low to not vaporize the oil immediately. Adding the cap (and inhaling) creates lower pressure above the nail, resulting in vaporzation at a lower temp. So, the dab will vaporize almost completely. The "cover and heat method" apparently works well for some, I've never tried it. Seems a bit tricky to know how much heat to apply. I use a timer to get consistent results with a carb cap, have you ever tried one?

imjohn56
#163 Posted : 3/10/2016 3:34:53 PM

professional worrier

i usually just hold my hand above it and feel for the heat to mostly not be radiating anymore haha only because i'm lazy and I learned eventually through trial and error.

a timer sounds like a good idea, I have noticed i'll just count to 10-15 depending on how red I made the nail. but like i said trial and error.

this is why i just load my spice up in the cold nail now and heat it up slowly from the middle and wait for it to put out vapor and cap it. although it is a bit to do, it works!

and with cannabis i loooove it makes big hits soooo much smoother. and sometimes when the nail is real hot and i dab, it doesn't put out as near as much smoke as i expected

Leithen
#164 Posted : 3/12/2016 5:34:23 AM

Be Here Now

Although for cannabis dabs a big part of having the nail at a lower temperature is for flavor, with spice it is simply so it is easier on the lungs, for me at least.

I also gauge the temp. with my hand. I used to count to 17. Thumbs up
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

AnalyticalFants
#165 Posted : 3/13/2016 2:16:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have only used oil rigs for DMT and it has always been the easiest IMO. If you are going to drop the crystals on the nail then make sure it has a raised edge as they will fly around. This is due to the Leidenfrost effect, mentioned earlier. Another consideration is that the nail will hold and continue to release some DMT with subsequent use thus if you choose this route as your primary means then fork over the extra $ for a nail exclusively for these sessions. The rig can be easily cleaned between uses the nails not as quickly. And a word of caution to overheating the nail. The leidenfrost point is very situational dependent however once the temperature exceeds this point (which is higher than the BP) the DMT will no longer "hover" on the vapor but contact the surface and it will degrade. Learn your rig and your nail and if the DMT seems to move and dance as droplets while vaporizing you have found your ideal temperature. Nothing beats knowing your own equipment and what works best with it. Oil rigs are the way of the future and there are even rigs that now can be pushed against a substance and don't require a "dabber".

imjohn56
#166 Posted : 3/13/2016 2:01:37 PM

professional worrier

i was told about these E-nails when talking about dabbing dmt. I'm gonna have to try one of them out. try and find the perfect temp for dmt.

https://youtu.be/__-lISL-XpQ

not necessarily this one, but this type of device.

CrayJay
#167 Posted : 3/15/2016 6:17:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Gentlemen, I finally have a viable rig setup with a quartz banger nail. My first approach was with 33 mg of spice, 20 seconds of direct heat, followed by 20 seconds of cooling, dumped the spice and then capped it. It appears as though this was too hot given the feel of the hit, but mainly the residue left behind. What is the easiest way to clean the quartz banger, in particular the internal part that has such a small diameter to access?

Secondly, what would you recommend for launch #2, how big a difference in heating/cooling time to the above 20 second on, 20 second off cycle?

Thanks, this method is pretty BA!

Psybin
#168 Posted : 3/15/2016 6:30:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Gentlemen, I finally have a viable rig setup with a quartz banger nail. My first approach was with 33 mg of spice, 20 seconds of direct heat, followed by 20 seconds of cooling, dumped the spice and then capped it. It appears as though this was too hot given the feel of the hit, but mainly the residue left behind. What is the easiest way to clean the quartz banger, in particular the internal part that has such a diameter to access?

Secondly, what would you recommend for launch #2, how big a difference in heating/cooling time to the above 20 second on, 20 second off cycle?

Thanks, this method is pretty BA!

Nice dude! I'm jealous, my friend has my quartz banger right now Big grin

Sounds like your technique is fine. If you feel like you could more efficiently dab it at a different temperature, I recommend experimenting a little bit and trying to find that sweet spot where the DMT sort of jumps and pops like hot oil as it instantly poofs up in a cloud of vapor on/above the nail. As far as cleaning the nail, I recommend scorching off what you can from the surface with your torch. You can soak the nail in isopropyl alcohol to get the harder to reach bits.

CrayJay
#169 Posted : 3/15/2016 7:26:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Gotcha, yeah I am figuring that a lower temperature is required, since 33 mg kept me in the tunnel so to speak, not quite enough to breakthrough. Should there be such a residue if done at a lower temperature? I am thinking that I must have burned a small amount of the spice.

If that is the case, would allowing for 30 seconds of cooling be a good recommendation for take two, or would a 10 second difference be negligible for the cooling of quartz?

Scorching the nail sounds good, and it's pretty difficult to overheat quartz, correct?

The internal residue is part of what I assume to be a glass chamber, so my concern was overheating that piece of the banger, but I will just soak it overnight as you have suggested, thank you!

Psybin
#170 Posted : 3/15/2016 10:00:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Gotcha, yeah I am figuring that a lower temperature is required, since 33 mg kept me in the tunnel so to speak, not quite enough to breakthrough. Should there be such a residue if done at a lower temperature? I am thinking that I must have burned a small amount of the spice.

If that is the case, would allowing for 30 seconds of cooling be a good recommendation for take two, or would a 10 second difference be negligible for the cooling of quartz?

Scorching the nail sounds good, and it's pretty difficult to overheat quartz, correct?

The internal residue is part of what I assume to be a glass chamber, so my concern was overheating that piece of the banger, but I will just soak it overnight as you have suggested, thank you!

Tbh, I only get residue when the temp is too low, unless I have it red hot in which case it'll just scorch the DMT to the nail. I would experiment with letting the nail cool down for different lengths of time (like 10, 15, and 25 seconds) to find what's best for you. I tend to dab on the hot side, but others prefer lower temps. When the DMT behaves like hot oil in a wok when it reaches the nail (popping and almost shooting droplets which poof into smoke before they ever touch anything, leaving no trace on the nail's surface).

The other thing to keep in mind is that quartz has to be seasoned, so the first several times you use the nail it will leave a residue, which is what you want. This soaks into the quartz with repeated use and improves its thermodynamic properties for our purposes.

EDIT: As far as ideal DMT behavior on the nail, this is what you want but in the blink of an eye rather than a few seconds.

CrayJay
#171 Posted : 3/16/2016 12:38:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice video find, thanks for sharing.

I have attached some images regarding the situation with residue. I had already cleaned off the loading site, but left the remnants from the tunnel part of the banger. Is the entire piece quartz, or just the loading site? I didn't want to heat up the tunnel area if it could shatter.

What was initially left on the loading site was darker than the spot seen within the tunnel in the images, do you suspect that I need a higher temp?

My banger doesn't glow red hot but for a couple seconds after removing the heat source, that seems curious.
CrayJay attached the following image(s):
1.JPG (2,278kb) downloaded 305 time(s).
2.JPG (1,989kb) downloaded 304 time(s).
3.JPG (2,183kb) downloaded 306 time(s).

Psybin
#172 Posted : 3/16/2016 3:50:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:

My banger doesn't glow red hot but for a couple seconds after removing the heat source, that seems curious.

This is normal when it is not seasoned, which is the case with your nail. If you have cannabis concentrates, those would be best to season it with. You want to let the quartz turn gray and dull with use, rather than keep it clear and clean looking. This makes it stay red a little longer and give better flavor. There are many reasons to season your nail, just as you would a cast iron skillet.

As for the residue, that is very minuscule. It is simply par for the course with the design of the banger, due to it's shape. Really, you get a little residue with any setup, simply because if you dab at the optimal temp, a minuscule amount will always condense inside the nail and/or rig over time. It's nothing to worry about, that's still a very clean nail. If you saw mine... Surprised Big grin

EDIT: I would season your nail and maybe try dabbing slightly hotter and I think you'll find there is less residue. You wouldn't be getting residue in the joint/stem of the nail from dabbing too hot, that would just burn it onto the banger's cup/surface. The residue in your picture is from the vapor cooling in the joint of the banger.

Here's a pic of a seasoned quartz daisy nail:

EDIT 2: Yes, the whole banger is quartz. No need to worry about heating it, though it is thinner and more brittle on the stem and joint compared to the cup.

CrayJay
#173 Posted : 3/16/2016 12:54:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay excellent, do you season it in the same way you do a titanium nail?

Would erring on the hotter side of things be more or less efficient? I'm surprised that 33 mg didn't quite do it, but I'm assuming that can be attributed to loss in the residue. Do you hold the inhalation for around 15-20 seconds?

Psybin
#174 Posted : 3/16/2016 9:20:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Okay excellent, do you season it in the same way you do a titanium nail?

Would erring on the hotter side of things be more or less efficient? I'm surprised that 33 mg didn't quite do it, but I'm assuming that can be attributed to loss in the residue. Do you hold the inhalation for around 15-20 seconds?

Nah, with titanium you season it by heating it then running it under cold water (really its tempering, but stoners call it seasoning). With quartz, you actually do season it it like cast iron, which consists of taking dabs off it and letting the oils/THC/DMT or whatever you're dabbing soak into the quartz and sort of scorch on/change the nail's color. I haven't tried using DMT to season a quartz nail, but I've had very good success using cannabis concentrates to do so.

Yeah, unless you start to smell or see the DMT burn, hotter seems to be a bit more efficient, though again you can get too hot if you're not careful. I usually dab it once I can't see any red glow any more with quartz, but I do this as soon as the change happens and do not wait more than maybe 5 or 8 seconds before dabbing the DMT after the red glow has disappeared. Dabbing is all about timing and technique to maximize either flavor or efficiency (and sometimes both). It's a bit of an art to get exactly what you want out of a dab, but once you understand the feel of it, it becomes a lot of fun to dial in different types of dabs.

I think part of the reason hotter is better is that if the nail is not hot enough, the Leidenfrost effect doesn't seem to happen, which results in DMT either oxidizing on the nail or vaporizing incompletely, leaving residue.

CrayJay
#175 Posted : 3/17/2016 4:21:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Right on man, yeah this ROA is truly a blast, I'll definitely have to pass this along to some close friends/family for it is truly a fun process, and a science!

Thanks again for answering all the questions!

CrayJay
#176 Posted : 3/18/2016 2:05:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So of course I am back with another question Big grin

I have since tried 20 seconds of direct heat on maximal output, 20 seconds off, 15 seconds off, and 10 seconds off. At 10 seconds off it was a very harsh hit. The attached image is the residue from 15 seconds off, is there simply too little heat?
CrayJay attached the following image(s):
1.JPG (1,972kb) downloaded 242 time(s).

CrayJay
#177 Posted : 3/18/2016 2:22:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I hate to blow up this thread but I also took the time to shoot a video of my method (20 seconds of direct flame followed by 15 seconds of off time before hitting it).

I managed to edit it so that no features of my character are revealing/distinguishable, so please let me know what you would do differently!

This is the go round that rendered the residue in the above picture!

jerkjake
#178 Posted : 3/23/2016 11:19:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nectar collector.

Only way to go

Psybin
#179 Posted : 3/26/2016 6:53:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Make Shift wrote:
Hey Leithen,
So what would be the ideal temp? 300 degree F?
Also since you're saying e-nail would you put the crystals on the nail first and then switch on the nail and increase the temp to the required temp or same like in the regular nail heat it with a torch and when then temp is reached then put the crystals?
The doubt in my mind is, think about an empty pan and heat it, when we pour water into it there is that bursting sound right? Similarly here when we put the crystals onto the nail when its at 300 degree +, won't there be a tendency to burn it?

You misunderstand. The water is not burning, but vaporizing. This same effect is what we want when we dab, known as the Leidenfrost Effect.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought that was the most recent post Big grin

CrayJay
#180 Posted : 3/26/2016 11:42:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Haha no worries! Hopefully my media successfully uploaded, I wasn't so sure about the video since I had to do some editing and formatting prior to the actual upload.

«PREV7891011NEXT»