We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV678910NEXT»
Dabbing DMT: The Way of the Future Options

Psybin
#141 Posted : 2/17/2016 2:11:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
The quartz banger looks like an ideal way to load the spice, is it necessary to cover it after loading if you are inhaling the entire time, or does that just lower the effective temperature?

I am having difficulty getting a glass nail retain its temperature long enough to be effective, plus it doesn't have a lot of surface area to load the spice, so I may need to try this out!

Yeah, you don't have to cover the banger but like you said it reduces the temp necessary to vape the spice because it creates a partial vacuum. They sell what are called carb caps for this purpose, if that's a path you choose to go down.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

CrayJay
#142 Posted : 2/17/2016 4:51:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice, that looks like an appealing option. So it's like a dual purpose tool where you load with one end and then cover with the other side after dumping the spice? This ROA is so rapid though that I can't imagine that making such a big difference, but I suppose it would save money on your heating source/method (i.e., butane) in the long run.

Leithen
#143 Posted : 2/17/2016 9:45:12 PM

Be Here Now

I have actually discussed the majority of this in the "OFFICIAL Dab Thread". (Shamelessly advertising my thread since there hasn't been much response.)

You comment about not having time is simply because you have been using a glass nail. They are the one type of nail that is actually substantially worse than the other types. For example, with an extra thick quartz banger you should have at least thirty seconds after heating where the nail will be hot enough to use, if not too hot. With cannabis, if the temperature is too high it hurts a lot more and does not produce nearly as much smoke. With DMT you can do the same thing, or worse, burn and effectively ruin the spice.

Although those tools are nice they are really meant for domeless nails shaped more like a classic titanium nail. For a banger all you actually need if a flat surface. They make carb caps specific for them however a silicone pad works just fine. I also use bottle caps and even other nails. The tool is nice and the make caps specifically for bangers with tools on them as well.

Again, I did talk about most of this in the other thread which i linked in my last comment. Check it out! If things need to be added comment or message me. I am currently working on a second draft.

EDIT: I did not notice all the different styles of carb caps in the photo. What i mean by "classic titanium domeless nail" is basically nails 1,2,3,8,9 and 10 from left to right.

The TI power and the santa cruz omni cap would be most ideal for a banger.
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

CrayJay
#144 Posted : 2/18/2016 3:41:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Leithen, for some reason I am unable to post any replies in that thread, although I have definitely read through it. I am deciding between a titanium nail and a quartz banger. My concern with the former is the surface area. With the glass nail I was having difficulty loading the spice all onto the head of the nail, so that is where the quartz banger seems to have the edge. However, I use a propane torch as my heating source, so I am concerned as to the longevity of a quartz setup.

The quartz banger looks similar to glass, what would a good first time approach be for achieving the proper temp for spice, hopefully it doesn't lose it's glow in a few seconds like my glass nail?

CrayJay
#145 Posted : 2/18/2016 6:52:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In terms of capping the quartz banger, would it matter if one were to use an overly sized (say it was designed for 18.9 mm but you used it on a 14 mm) carb cap to get the job done?

I have a 14 mm rig and have ordered a female quartz banger for it, but my loading tool is designed for an 18.9 mm setup, but I'm assuming it will still lower the effective temp. I just wasn't sure how different the diameter is among the quartz bangers that are designed for different sized rigs.

Leithen
#146 Posted : 2/18/2016 11:31:46 PM

Be Here Now

No problem! It is because you are still a new member. I appreciate the questions either way though. They will help me update the information there. Thumbs up

As for the cap question, no it does not matter. Especially because the cap you got is bigger than the nail. If it was smaller it would not be ass effective but as long as you cover the whole opening and trap the heat in you are good!

The quartz will no doubt stay hot longer than the glass. Especially if you get a thicker banger. As for the propane it won't be detrimental. If it is all you have it is fine. Just over a long period of time you would notice some aging while a butane torch would leave a nail looking practically brand new after a long time of use. These time frames really are big though so it shouldn't be much of an issue, especially if you're just starting out.

Thanks again for the questions! Hope I helped.Smile
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”

CrayJay
#147 Posted : 2/19/2016 1:11:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Perfect, thanks Leithen, I appreciate it. How many posts will I need to participate in that thread? I also wanted to provide some feedback for Earthwalker's 100 g ACRB tek, but am unable to do so, a similar situation as with your relatively new thread.

So for the quartz, is it the same idea, blast it with heat until red hot, and then allow to cool, and hit just as it is fading to clear again, the only difference being that it will buy me more time? Thumbs up

Leithen
#148 Posted : 2/19/2016 1:23:16 AM

Be Here Now

Member promotion is not actually based on how many posts you have. Member and moderators vote to promote and once they get enough votes they are promoted.

As for the process, yes it is the same. If the quartz is glowing you will want to wait several seconds, maybe 10-15. Glowing is way way to hot. More than likely you will burn some the first time but readjust as necessary. Again its individual for each nail.

CrayJay
#149 Posted : 2/19/2016 1:33:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting info regarding promotion, I was unaware, thanks!

As for burning the spice, I am more concerned about getting it to actually vaporize. My current struggle is the timing of the glass nail and the fact that it is too small to load even a 30 mg dose of spice onto with ease, so the quartz banger will definitely be a nice change of pace.

How is that particular threads require a promotion to participate, is this determined by the creator of that thread or specifically a moderator?

Leithen
#150 Posted : 2/19/2016 1:48:36 AM

Be Here Now

I think all of your questions can be answered here.

But the answer to your question is that you will gain access to the entire forum once you are promoted. You are currently restricted to the welcome area and the research area.

CrayJay
#151 Posted : 2/19/2016 1:55:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome, that makes perfect sense.

Aside from quartz retaining heat better than glass, are the actual heating times quite comparable?

Leithen
#152 Posted : 2/19/2016 2:00:13 AM

Be Here Now

I can not answer that for certain. I would assume that glass would heat up a bit quicker but this is really negligible. Assuming you have a "Home Depot" propane torch it will only take maybe 30 seconds to heat up the nail, probably less.

CrayJay
#153 Posted : 2/19/2016 2:35:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome, I have a quartz banger on the way, so I will be sure to share my experience in a few weeks upon receiving it, in the mean time I better perform an extraction Thumbs up

This ROA is so rapid, by the time you dump the spice, will using a carb cap really even matter, since it should vaporize rather rapidly? Or is the idea that you let it cool to a lower temp that upon dumping the spice, doesn't result in rapid vaporization, and then after you cap it that will allow it to go to completion? I can see how that might be ideal for cannabis dabs, but do you find it relevant for our kind of spice?

Leithen
#154 Posted : 2/19/2016 9:22:05 PM

Be Here Now

Quite honestly, no.

I think of it mostly as a safety net. I would much prefer my nail to be to cool than too hot. Burning the spice is pretty bad and it usually renders it useless. If you have a cap on hand, again you can usually find one around the house, you can allow the nail to get for sure below burning temperature and if it does not all vaporize you can cap it.

Once you get the temperature down you can use it if you want or dial it in so you do not have to. I prefer the lower temps but maybe that is just me. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!

CrayJay
#155 Posted : 2/26/2016 12:22:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah lower temps seems to be the way to go, I'll report back once I've received the quartz banger and can give this ROA a fair trial!

What would a reasonable recommendation be for an initial dose for someone who was yet to break through, using this type of administration?

LearningToFly88
#156 Posted : 3/1/2016 6:07:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Yeah lower temps seems to be the way to go, I'll report back once I've received the quartz banger and can give this ROA a fair trial!

What would a reasonable recommendation be for an initial dose for someone who was yet to break through, using this type of administration?

If you are going for a breakthrough experiance go for about 30 mg...

CrayJay
#157 Posted : 3/1/2016 2:45:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LearningToFly88 wrote:
If you are going for a breakthrough experiance go for about 30 mg...

Much appreciated, that was my initial thought as well. Breaking through is most definitely the goal Thumbs up

lofinity
#158 Posted : 3/3/2016 6:39:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Awesome, that makes perfect sense.

Aside from quartz retaining heat better than glass, are the actual heating times quite comparable?

I usually heat my up until red hot and wait about 15-20 seconds. I found that there is no need for a carb cap because it all vaporizes and goes through the rig in a matter of seconds. Just dump your dose into the banger and suck :^)

Ima Monkey
#159 Posted : 3/3/2016 11:16:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cannabis dabbing veteran here. I actually tried dabbing spice my first time, but it was ineffective. I had no idea what temp to use, how much to load, or what to expect. I think it vaporized so quick, I missed it all. I think if I had actually inhaled it, it would have kicked my ass!

So, I'm seeing 2 themes stated here: one is the leidenfrost effect allows the spice to avoid contact with the nail, and the other is talking about low temps. Now, low temp (cannabis) dabs are great, I've got them figured out, use a carb cap etc. But with spice, are low temps necessary, or not? With cannabis, it gives WAY better taste, and the vapor is cooler, so easier on the lungs. I'm not crazy about the taste of spice, but does it get better with low temps?

LearningToFly88
#160 Posted : 3/10/2016 5:10:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ima Monkey wrote:
Cannabis dabbing veteran here. I actually tried dabbing spice my first time, but it was ineffective. I had no idea what temp to use, how much to load, or what to expect. I think it vaporized so quick, I missed it all. I think if I had actually inhaled it, it would have kicked my ass!

So, I'm seeing 2 themes stated here: one is the leidenfrost effect allows the spice to avoid contact with the nail, and the other is talking about low temps. Now, low temp (cannabis) dabs are great, I've got them figured out, use a carb cap etc. But with spice, are low temps necessary, or not? With cannabis, it gives WAY better taste, and the vapor is cooler, so easier on the lungs. I'm not crazy about the taste of spice, but does it get better with low temps?

i believe that dmt dabs alot better at lower temps but just like with concentrates theres a fine line between low temp and too cool... trial and error my friend

«PREV678910NEXT»