We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV56789NEXT»
Dabbing DMT: The Way of the Future Options

Make Shift
#121 Posted : 2/1/2016 8:33:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Guys,
I used the dab rig a few times along with a few mates of mine and it was really really good i must say, very effective. And i highly recommended the rig as in my earlier posts here. But since i started using the gvg a month back i feel i must tell the comparisons i made.
With the gvg i felt like i wasn't inhaling anything till i actually exhaled, that is how smooth it is.
With the rig i had this sudden urge to cough due to how hot the nail is consequently burning a little/lot of spice.

With the gvg all i used was 25-32 mg all to be vaporised in one long pull.
With the rig i must have surely used anywhere between 70-85 mg to get the same effect as the 28 mg on the gvg, which makes me feel half the spice is burned on the nail due to the high temperature on the surface of the nail. I agree that the pull is shorter and maybe to an extent the onset is quicker (maybe due to larger quantity going in lot quicker), but i'm quite positive that atleast some of the spice is being burnt which causes the irritation on the throat.

Unless ofcourse you can devise a method to gradually cause the spice to vaporize on the nail in 2 or 3 seconds rather than the vaporization of the spice even before coming in contact with the nail due to the air temperature just above the nail.

Either ways, good luck !! Very happy
In the lingering moments before you die your body releases DMT‬. The same drug that makes you dream. The same drug found in every living animal. It's not an evolutionary trick to make you survive. Your body is choosing to release this drug now because it believes your fate is too grim for you to comprehend. So you dream. You dream that everything will be fine. You dream that nothing happened at all. It's in this moment that your body sits across from you. It tells you 'looks like we're not gonna make it this time.' You sit around a fire and recollect the past before soon parting ways back to the atomic ether. Your body does this because it loves you. You have never met anyone like your body. Your body has been with you everyday, good and bad. It's even kept a journal of your life carved in scars. Your eyelashes always wiped the tears from your eyes.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

CrayJay
#122 Posted : 2/1/2016 12:56:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psybin wrote:
The best way to get a good temp is to heat the titanium nail till it is uniformly glowing orange hot, then let it cool till it no longer glows at all (the moment just after the last bit of red glow has left the nail is ideal with spice). The amount of time this takes depends on the thickness and size of the nail. I wouldn't bother with the screen on a dome setup, you'll probably just drop the screen inside the dome and burn your fingers. Or worse, spill the sticky melting spice into the joint and get the dome stuck to the rig (done that before). Better to just scoop up a dose of spice with a dabber tool that has a shovel or spoon on one end and tap it against the nail as you dab it to get all the spice onto the hot nail as quickly as possible. The main advantage of dabbing is to get it all in one fast hit, so you want to try and dump the spice as quickly in one smooth motion as you can. Begin inhaling at full pace before you dab the DMT, or else it will all poof up in a cloud of vapor above the nail before you can get any of it into the rig, let alone your lungs.

With that heating procedure are we no longer worried about the spice coming into direct contact with the nail, hence the tap? Or do you mean a light tap to ensure it is close enough to the heat source to vaporize quickly?

Leithen
#123 Posted : 2/1/2016 5:25:39 PM

Be Here Now

The screen recommendation was only for domeless nails and honestly not even a recommendation, just an idea that someone may want to try and see if it works!

I would highly recommend going with a domeless nail as domes are quite fragile and make the whole process a bit more cluttered. I also like them because they retain heat more and so you will have a bit more time to prepare after heating. The end goal will no doubt be the same either way but if you can afford this one extra part it is well worth it in my opinion. You can easily find them for around $20 online.

From my experience taking the hit right after the nail stops glowing would be WAY to hot. I have heard that a glowing titanium nail is around 1000 degrees F. When smoking cannabis concentrates this is a decent rule of thumb but still can be far to hot. On my old domeless nail (domeless will almost always be thicker) i would heat it until half the nail was glowing slightly and then wait 17 seconds. Every single nail I have used is different and there really is not going to be a good way of helping you unless we have the exact same one. (This, Make Shift, is what I would assume happened with you, the temperature was a bit too hot)

You can try something like a laser thermometer but these are somewhat finicky and not totally accurate for this application. For the first few times I would error on the side of caution and wait a few extra seconds if anything.
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

CrayJay
#124 Posted : 2/1/2016 8:36:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen wrote:
The screen recommendation was only for domeless nails and honestly not even a recommendation, just an idea that someone may want to try and see if it works!

I would highly recommend going with a domeless nail as domes are quite fragile and make the whole process a bit more cluttered. I also like them because they retain heat more and so you will have a bit more time to prepare after heating. The end goal will no doubt be the same either way but if you can afford this one extra part it is well worth it in my opinion. You can easily find them for around $20 online.

From my experience taking the hit right after the nail stops glowing would be WAY to hot. I have heard that a glowing titanium nail is around 1000 degrees F. When smoking cannabis concentrates this is a decent rule of thumb but still can be far to hot. On my old domeless nail (domeless will almost always be thicker) i would heat it until half the nail was glowing slightly and then wait 17 seconds. Every single nail I have used is different and there really is not going to be a good way of helping you unless we have the exact same one. (This, Make Shift, is what I would assume happened with you, the temperature was a bit too hot)

You can try something like a laser thermometer but these are somewhat finicky and not totally accurate for this application. For the first few times I would error on the side of caution and wait a few extra seconds if anything.

Regarding the feeding process, would this be a reasonable tool to get the job done? [link]

I'm assuming you want it to be made of titanium as opposed to something like stainless steel.

As far as the temperature, even if you overshot it a bit, so long as the spice doesn't come into direct contact with the nail, isn't there a pretty considerable buffer area on our side? In other words, if we were just dumping the spice onto the nail then the temperature would be more crucial, correct?

Psybin
#125 Posted : 2/1/2016 10:21:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Psybin wrote:
The best way to get a good temp is to heat the titanium nail till it is uniformly glowing orange hot, then let it cool till it no longer glows at all (the moment just after the last bit of red glow has left the nail is ideal with spice). The amount of time this takes depends on the thickness and size of the nail. I wouldn't bother with the screen on a dome setup, you'll probably just drop the screen inside the dome and burn your fingers. Or worse, spill the sticky melting spice into the joint and get the dome stuck to the rig (done that before). Better to just scoop up a dose of spice with a dabber tool that has a shovel or spoon on one end and tap it against the nail as you dab it to get all the spice onto the hot nail as quickly as possible. The main advantage of dabbing is to get it all in one fast hit, so you want to try and dump the spice as quickly in one smooth motion as you can. Begin inhaling at full pace before you dab the DMT, or else it will all poof up in a cloud of vapor above the nail before you can get any of it into the rig, let alone your lungs.

With that heating procedure are we no longer worried about the spice coming into direct contact with the nail, hence the tap? Or do you mean a light tap to ensure it is close enough to the heat source to vaporize quickly?

No, the tap is to tap off the DMT so it doesn't stick to the dabber tool. You're overthinking this, it's extremely simple. Look up dabbing videos on Youtube and watch what they do. You're asking questions that don't even make sense at this point. Get nail hot, inhale, smear DMT on nail, exhale. Nothing more, nothing less.

CrayJay
#126 Posted : 2/1/2016 10:55:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah that makes sense now, somehow I was thinking that direct contact would burn the spice, but at this point it's a simple matter of trial and error to fine tune the process. How hard of a drag would you advise a non-smoker take?

Psybin
#127 Posted : 2/1/2016 11:19:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Yeah that makes sense now, somehow I was thinking that direct contact would burn the spice, but at this point it's a simple matter of trial and error to fine tune the process. How hard of a drag would you advise a non-smoker take?

Wut? Just go for it man, you're overthinking it. It's not like you can pull too hard, that's what the water is for. Wink I think you'll find that all of these variables you're worrying about don't apply or aren't variables at all in practical application. There are 1000 ways to skin a cat, as they say. But we don't need to skin a cat at all, so there's no need to explore those.

Just get the nail hot, let it cool down so it's not glowing like the eyes of Satan, and dump your scooper full of DMT onto the nail, while inhaling, in the same way you thoroughly empty the contents of a measuring spoon into a bowl of ingredients.

If it's not in the above sentence, don't worry or think about it at all. That is all you need to know, anything else is personal preference gained from experience and not relevant.

CrayJay
#128 Posted : 2/1/2016 11:40:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psybin wrote:
Wut? Just go for it man, you're overthinking it. It's not like you can pull too hard, that's what the water is for. Wink I think you'll find that all of these variables you're worrying about don't apply or aren't variables at all in practical application. There are 1000 ways to skin a cat, as they say. But we don't need to skin a cat at all, so there's no need to explore those.

Just get the nail hot, let it cool down so it's not glowing like the eyes of Satan, and dump your scooper full of DMT onto the nail, while inhaling, in the same way you thoroughly empty the contents of a measuring spoon into a bowl of ingredients.

If it's not in the above sentence, don't worry or think about it at all. That is all you need to know, anything else is personal preference gained from experience and not relevant.

Haha, well said man, it seems pretty straightforward, I just wanted to eliminate the chance of wasting precious spice! I will be sure to report back, thanks guys Thumbs up

Leithen
#129 Posted : 2/2/2016 12:44:15 AM

Be Here Now

Psybin wrote:

This is no doubt the only piece of advice needed at this point. I apologize if I caused any confusion as it really is a VERY simple process just with literally thousands of slightly different ways of doing it and things to do it with.

Best of luck and if you do end up wasting a couple of hits of spice it really is not the end of the world. You must learn somehow! Thumbs up
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”

anne halonium
#130 Posted : 2/2/2016 3:14:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ive been considering this..........thanx for the info.
we wanna experiment with heat guns also.
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

Leithen
#131 Posted : 2/2/2016 3:58:43 PM

Be Here Now

anne halonium wrote:

In my experience with heat guns you have to shoot the laser a few centimeters above the nail to get an accurate reading. For some reason it will not work when placed directly on the nail. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Anyways, that is why I said they are finicky. You have to hold it right above the nail and my hand was always shaking a small amount so I could never get a totally accurate readout. That said, you can get a pretty good estimate of where you are at to make sure you do not way over or under shoot it.

Wiggles
#132 Posted : 2/2/2016 4:03:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

As a beginner i failed a lot trying to vaporise effectively, mostly from bunk tinfoil bottle methods. saw a similar thread suggesting using a dab rig. as i already had the equipment thought it was worth a shot and managed to breakthrough for the first time. I really recommend this method for people who are struggling to find a effective way to vaporise, i managed every time since then to take the whole dose in one hit. I have seen a lot of talk about electronic vaporisers but from what i can tell it takes a few hits and requires a lot of tweeking to work right for yourself not to mention they can get pretty pricey.
like many people have said just go for it. as long as you let the nail cool a bit your unlikely to waste much. this was the first method that worked instantly for me and probably the only method i will use for freebase.

concombres
#133 Posted : 2/2/2016 4:11:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wiggles wrote:
As a beginner i failed a lot trying to vaporise effectively, mostly from bunk tinfoil bottle methods. saw a similar thread suggesting using a dab rig. as i already had the equipment thought it was worth a shot and managed to breakthrough for the first time. I really recommend this method for people who are struggling to find a effective way to vaporise, i managed every time since then to take the whole dose in one hit. I have seen a lot of talk about electronic vaporisers but from what i can tell it takes a few hits and requires a lot of tweeking to work right for yourself not to mention they can get pretty pricey.
like many people have said just go for it. as long as you let the nail cool a bit your unlikely to waste much. this was the first method that worked instantly for me and probably the only method i will use for freebase.

I will have to try this next time I extract. Considering I can get one second hand fairly cheap & my GVG is broken I think it is worth a shot.

Gspicey
#134 Posted : 2/13/2016 4:06:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I love dabbing the spice. Anyone who has a set up should purchase a quartz Banger, larger dish so you can easily get all your spice on the nail. Also great for low temping, don't have to purchase a carb cap, just cover the hole with a glass container or gel container. With a little practice you can get much larger hits from a nice low temp than when still almost red hot. My preferred ROA.
Gspicey attached the following image(s):
81xF+nWJhgL._SL1500_.jpg (97kb) downloaded 230 time(s).

Psybin
#135 Posted : 2/13/2016 11:52:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen wrote:
anne halonium wrote:

In my experience with heat guns you have to shoot the laser a few centimeters above the nail to get an accurate reading. For some reason it will not work when placed directly on the nail. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Anyways, that is why I said they are finicky. You have to hold it right above the nail and my hand was always shaking a small amount so I could never get a totally accurate readout. That said, you can get a pretty good estimate of where you are at to make sure you do not way over or under shoot it.

It's because of the Leidenfrost Effect. The spice actually vaporizes on the pocket of hot air above the nail, so the surface temp of the nail is not a good indication of the temperature of the air pocket above it.

Gspicey wrote:
I love dabbing the spice. Anyone who has a set up should purchase a quartz Banger, larger dish so you can easily get all your spice on the nail. Also great for low temping, don't have to purchase a carb cap, just cover the hole with a glass container or gel container. With a little practice you can get much larger hits from a nice low temp than when still almost red hot. My preferred ROA.

I agree, for spice a quartz banger is probably the way to go for most. Not the best for cannabis concentrates IMO, but excellent for DMT. Thumbs up

Leithen
#136 Posted : 2/14/2016 2:09:02 AM

Be Here Now

Psybin wrote:
Leithen wrote:
anne halonium wrote:

It's because of the Leidenfrost Effect. The spice actually vaporizes on the pocket of hot air above the nail, so the surface temp of the nail is not a good indication of the temperature of the air pocket above it.

Brilliant! I think this is a very plausible theory.

Also, just as a note to others reading this thread, I am hoping to get some people to contribute to a collective dabbing thread. Check it out here!

Psybin
#137 Posted : 2/14/2016 4:09:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen wrote:
Psybin wrote:
Leithen wrote:
anne halonium wrote:

Brilliant! I think this is a very plausible theory.

Also, just as a note to others reading this thread, I am hoping to get some people to contribute to a collective dabbing thread. Check it out here!

You've done a very nice job on that thread; kudos! Perhaps you could include some of the pictures you and we have posted of our rigs and setups in that thread to accompany the descriptions you provided, so that those unfamiliar with dabbing may better understand what you're talking about. Regardless, you've done a wonderful job compiling all that information into one place. Big grin

Leithen
#138 Posted : 2/14/2016 4:58:55 PM

Be Here Now

Psybin wrote:
You've done a very nice job on that thread; kudos! Perhaps you could include some of the pictures you and we have posted of our rigs and setups in that thread to accompany the descriptions you provided, so that those unfamiliar with dabbing may better understand what you're talking about. Regardless, you've done a wonderful job compiling all that information into one place. Big grin

Thank you very much!

That is indeed a good idea and I will start compiling photos today. I have a few links to different nails and rigs but embedded pictures would be much better.

Thanks for the advice. Thumbs up

LearningToFly88
#139 Posted : 2/15/2016 7:52:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I love the idea of this thread.. my first experience was with a dab rig and i was able to breakthrough with the proper dose whenever i wanted. I was experienced in thc concentrates before this but still, this is a straightforward method of ingestion... i hope that anyone who isnt happy with their method or wanna try something new that they try this way... safe travels~!

CrayJay
#140 Posted : 2/17/2016 1:37:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The quartz banger looks like an ideal way to load the spice, is it necessary to cover it after loading if you are inhaling the entire time, or does that just lower the effective temperature?

I am having difficulty getting a glass nail retain its temperature long enough to be effective, plus it doesn't have a lot of surface area to load the spice, so I may need to try this out!

«PREV56789NEXT»