We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT»
Dabbing DMT: The Way of the Future Options

Heyt
#101 Posted : 10/18/2015 9:34:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bonné wrote:
Heyt wrote:
Bonné wrote:
This sounds like a promising method, but how are you going to load the DMT unto the nail?
DMT isn´t sticky like THC oil, so I presume it wouldn´t work with a traditional dabbing tool.

This is the dabbing tool I use, and it has a perfect scooper on the end that i load up with spice when i dab. My other tool has a shovel on the end, though anything that can hold a dose of spice (a pen cap, piece of folded paper) works fine if you just pour it onto the nail.

The tool that comes with the Cloud Pen is perfect for spice.

I´m just uncertain as to whether or not you´d actually be able to fit, say, 30-40mg´s of DMT on such a tool? I thought something along the lines of folded paper or similarly would be necessary?

Trust me, such a tool can accommodate more spice than you'd ever want to inhale. Wink I've accidentally dabbed 100+mg with said tool before when I was still cocksure and foolish. Talk about a hyperslap! That much DMT inhaled in one hit is more than I'd ever want to dose again.

EDIT: As a reference, the tool in the pic fits a solid 150mg on the spoon end. Even up to 300mg if you pile it on like a monkey brain. One should be careful indeed Shocked

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Make Shift
#102 Posted : 10/21/2015 6:40:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't use a piece of folded paper to load dmt on to a super heated nail.
I did that the first few times, I had to hold the paper too close to the nail so nothing would fall off to the ground rather than into the nail, what happens is the temperature being too high causes some dmt to turn into goo/oily on the paper itself causing wastage. This was my experience doing it more than 4 times with paper. Or else you got to leave atleast half an inch gap between the paper and the nail(risking some dmt to fall elsewhere), anything less will cause the dmt to melt on the paper. Say if you vaporize 50 mg, I can guarantee atleast 10/15 mg will be on the paper because the temperature on the nail is high that the dmt doesn't have to actually touch the nail to vaporize. If we could slow it down very much on view it on a camera i'm sure we would see the dmt vaporizing before making contact with the nail surface. I'm talking about temperature in the range of 500-700 degree F.

But as for a dab pen, I think that's the way to go, the one I have cannot hold anything more than 50mg.
In the lingering moments before you die your body releases DMT‬. The same drug that makes you dream. The same drug found in every living animal. It's not an evolutionary trick to make you survive. Your body is choosing to release this drug now because it believes your fate is too grim for you to comprehend. So you dream. You dream that everything will be fine. You dream that nothing happened at all. It's in this moment that your body sits across from you. It tells you 'looks like we're not gonna make it this time.' You sit around a fire and recollect the past before soon parting ways back to the atomic ether. Your body does this because it loves you. You have never met anyone like your body. Your body has been with you everyday, good and bad. It's even kept a journal of your life carved in scars. Your eyelashes always wiped the tears from your eyes.

CrayJay
#103 Posted : 1/30/2016 1:33:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Heyt wrote:
Hi slugware, you don't need to drop $150 on a rig if you're on a budget. Check out this site, they have rigs as cheap as $40. No need to break the bank, the advantages of pricier rigs don't really apply to DMT.

http://dabwizard.com/multi/category/Rigs

This video explains how dabbing works, though all you really need is a rig, a dabber tool, and a torch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ulvmBH4jQ

Btw, never use butane, it's a scam. These propane torches last a whole year of full time dabbing (butane runs out every week) and only cost $4 to refill instead of $20 with butane. http://www.mscdirect.com...7724&CS_010=43873249

EDIT: vin9x, dabbing also makes the vapor not harsh at all and flavorless, if you're into that. Plus you don't have to adjust your rate of inhalation. But if you're satisfied with the GVG, keep doing what works.

Hey all, this is my first post on the dmt-mexus. I am hoping someone can shed some light on which rig I should be looking at purchasing from the link in the quote I am responding to. I am unable to view any of the images linked/uploaded to this thread, most likely because my post count is insufficient. I was also unable to PM Heyt or any other user who is not a mod, so any guidance regarding which apparatus to purchase and the overall dabbing process in general would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone. I will attach some images of my freebase product as a test to see if I and other users can view them properly.

EDIT: I apologize for the multiple replies seen below; I am still trying to get acclimated to the user interface here and will attach all images under one message in the future Thumbs up
CrayJay attached the following image(s):
Test 1.JPG (1,924kb) downloaded 313 time(s).

CrayJay
#104 Posted : 1/30/2016 1:34:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Test 2.JPG (1,930kb) downloaded 307 time(s).

CrayJay
#105 Posted : 1/30/2016 1:44:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Test 3.JPG (1,589kb) downloaded 304 time(s).

Leithen
#106 Posted : 1/30/2016 10:45:44 PM

Be Here Now

Hey CrayJay and welcome to the nexus! Big grin

I am hoping to shed some light on your questions about "dabbing" and vaporization of DMT.

The sight you linked is indeed a good website to find reasonably priced pieces of glass. That being said, there are probably thousands of similar sites, not to mention all of the stores across the world. Because of this there is not really a universal "best" piece. In general there are a few things that matter when looking at new glass:

1. What type of joint does it have? (10,14 or 18mm/ Male or Female)
2. What type of percolation does it have?
3. How quality is this glass?

Almost every single rig I have came across has either a 10, 14 or 18mm joint. These are not exact dimensions (i think it is 14.5 and 18.9) that is how they are commonly referred to. Male or female refers to the direction of the joint. If you put a nail or bowl inside of it than it is female. (These are usually sold as water pipes for tobacco) If you put the nail or bowl over the joint than it is male. (These are usually sold for concentrates. The main reason for this, in my research, is because titanium expands when heated. If you put a TI nail inside a joint and then heat it up to take a dab there is a small chance that the metal will expand too much and crack the glass. Because of this I always look for male joints or buy adapters so that I am never putting a nail directly into my rig.

Percolation has been discussed a lot above and I won't go into much detail. I have seen many different opinions but a lot of people seem to think more percolation means less DMT getting through while others think it makes no difference. Either way you will not need or want more than one perc. The triple and quads are pretty cool but very impractical and usually far more expensive.

As for the last question this is where price will make a big difference. Most glass online from sites like DHGate are selling glass made in china. A lot of these are made with molds and all of it is made with cheaper more brittle glass. I personally would recommend going into your local smoke shop and trying to find something there if you can afford it. Although you may have to pay upwards of $100 more for american made glass you will most definitely be able to tell the difference. When properly annealed glass is VERY strong. I can throw my pipe down my driveway and it will be just fine. The best example I can give is for anyone who has seen chinese glass break. It shatters into hundreds of thousands of pieces even when dropped from very low. American glass, when made properly, will not break and if it does it does not shatter like that. It usually just cracks. For me this is well worth spending and extra hundred dollars or more, not to mention I get to support local glass artists! Thumbs up

In short, get whatever you can afford and make sure ahead of time that your nail or slide will fit the joint properly. You are going to get what you paid for and sometimes cheap is better when other times you want something that will last a long time.

Hope this was helpful! Let me know if I can clear anything else up or if I need to clear up what I just wrote. Very happy

“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

CrayJay
#107 Posted : 1/31/2016 12:26:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen, thanks for the reply, that is some great information. Unfortunately, I have very little background with regard to this "scene," and smoking in general, so could you help me apply these concepts to a practical recommendation for a product?

Unfortunately there are no nearby smoke shops for me that carry this type of piece, so the online route is my only feasible option. I will be using this strictly for the freebase product previously posted, and not terribly frequently (although we will see how my first launch goes Big grin ), perhaps once a month. I am looking for a product that will allow me to easily clear a breakthrough dose in one pull, as my lung capacity is not particularly great. Hopefully that is enough information, but I was getting hung up on all of the different types of nails (glass, ceramic, titanium) and was unsure which combination of rig attributes would be best suited for the needs I have described.

I will be visiting a nearby store and should be able to pickup this torch if you think it will be a suitable option: http://www.homedepot.com...rch-Kit-334458/203665003

Thanks in advance man Thumbs up

Psybin
#108 Posted : 1/31/2016 12:56:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Leithen, thanks for the reply, that is some great information. Unfortunately, I have very little background with regard to this "scene," and smoking in general, so could you help me apply these concepts to a practical recommendation for a product?

Unfortunately there are no nearby smoke shops for me that carry this type of piece, so the online route is my only feasible option. I will be using this strictly for the freebase product previously posted, and not terribly frequently (although we will see how my first launch goes Big grin ), perhaps once a month. I am looking for a product that will allow me to easily clear a breakthrough dose in one pull, as my lung capacity is not particularly great. Hopefully that is enough information, but I was getting hung up on all of the different types of nails (glass, ceramic, titanium) and was unsure which combination of rig attributes would be best suited for the needs I have described.

I will be visiting a nearby store and should be able to pickup this torch if you think it will be a suitable option: http://www.homedepot.com...rch-Kit-334458/203665003

Thanks in advance man Thumbs up

That torch is perfect (the same one I use actually). A rig like this would be very practical on a budget: http://dabwizard.com/mul...Green-Element-Glass-Nail

CrayJay
#109 Posted : 1/31/2016 1:39:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome Psybin, thanks for the verification regarding the butane torch, and I appreciate the rig recommendation as well! Initially I was actually going to be willing to fork out the money for a GVG, at least prior to lurking in this thread. With that said, do you recommend I opt for a higher grade rig, or is there no need based on my previously described purpose for it?

Also, using that product as an example, what is a good rule of thumb regarding how much water to add? And for glass nails, what would the procedure be (regarding timing) for blazing it and then putting the DMT in close proximity to the heat source (the nail)?

Awesome replies, I appreciate it guys!

-CrayJay

Psybin
#110 Posted : 1/31/2016 6:44:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Awesome Psybin, thanks for the verification regarding the butane torch, and I appreciate the rig recommendation as well! Initially I was actually going to be willing to fork out the money for a GVG, at least prior to lurking in this thread. With that said, do you recommend I opt for a higher grade rig, or is there no need based on my previously described purpose for it?

Also, using that product as an example, what is a good rule of thumb regarding how much water to add? And for glass nails, what would the procedure be (regarding timing) for blazing it and then putting the DMT in close proximity to the heat source (the nail)?

Awesome replies, I appreciate it guys!

-CrayJay

Regardless of what rig you get, only use enough water to barely submerge the perc. As for the nail, I recommend upgrading to titanium or quartz. If you must use glass, get it red hot then dab as soon as the red glow leaves the nail. So long as you don't see the spice spark or visibly burn, you should be fine. When the DMT vaporizes, it should vaporize above the surface of the nail and almost splatter like hot oil, though if it does literally splatter then your
nail isn't hot enough.

Leithen
#111 Posted : 1/31/2016 2:46:23 PM

Be Here Now

CrayJay wrote:
With that said, do you recommend I opt for a higher grade rig, or is there no need based on my previously described purpose for it?

If you only plan on using this thing once a month if that then there really is no need to pay more than a hundred dollars. Even if you buy cheap glass, chances are if your careful and keep it in a safe spot it will be fine.

I also agree with everything Psybin said, especially that you should for sure try and upgrade from a glass nail. Although there is a lot of debate on which type of nail is the best it is generally agreed that glass is the worst. I usually go with titanium simply because it cannot break so I will have it forever. I will even [link] a universal titanium nail that fits on 10, 14 and 18mm joints male and female. This is what I have usually used as it fits just about every piece you can buy.
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”

CrayJay
#112 Posted : 1/31/2016 4:00:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen wrote:
If you only plan on using this thing once a month if that then there really is no need to pay more than a hundred dollars. Even if you buy cheap glass, chances are if your careful and keep it in a safe spot it will be fine.

I also agree with everything Psybin said, especially that you should for sure try and upgrade from a glass nail. Although there is a lot of debate on which type of nail is the best it is generally agreed that glass is the worst. I usually go with titanium simply because it cannot break so I will have it forever. I will even [link] a universal titanium nail that fits on 10, 14 and 18mm joints male and female. This is what I have usually used as it fits just about every piece you can buy.

Awesome, thanks for the link. I found a rig that comes with a titanium nail and was hoping you could take a look here: [link]

Unfortunately it does not give the dimensions, but my question would be if that even matters or will a smaller rig just render a more harsh hit? If so I would probably go with a larger setup to better diffuse the vapor.

Also, it says that the nail is non-adjustable, is that referring to the height, and would that be a problem? I'd rather spend more money and buy something that will be more robust with better longevity, so I may need to look into a more expensive product, but purchasing online is tricky since you can not readily determine the quality of glass, so your recommendation of visiting a smoke shop makes sense, if only that was an option for me.

Regardless of the rig, is the universal idea that you get the DMT in close proximity to the nail (once preheated), having had started sucking in gently just beforehand, and then using your free hand to set the globe in place once the DMT has "vanished" from the tool it was loaded on?

Thanks guys!

Leithen
#113 Posted : 1/31/2016 10:20:43 PM

Be Here Now

CrayJay wrote:
Regardless of the rig, is the universal idea that you get the DMT in close proximity to the nail (once preheated), having had started sucking in gently just beforehand, and then using your free hand to set the globe in place once the DMT has "vanished" from the tool it was loaded on?

I will answer this first since it is more straight forward. In short, yes. The only part you have wrong is that you put the "globe", or dome, onto the rig before you put the DMT on the nail. The hardest part of this procedure is getting the temperature right. It is easy to have it too hot and you do NOT want that to happen, trust me. Although there are a few tricks for getting the right temp. it really just comes down to personal practice with your own nail. Thumbs up

CrayJay wrote:
Awesome, thanks for the link. I found a rig that comes with a titanium nail and was hoping you could take a look here: [link]

Unfortunately it does not give the dimensions, but my question would be if that even matters or will a smaller rig just render a more harsh hit? If so I would probably go with a larger setup to better diffuse the vapor.

Also, it says that the nail is non-adjustable, is that referring to the height, and would that be a problem? I'd rather spend more money and buy something that will be more robust with better longevity, so I may need to look into a more expensive product, but purchasing online is tricky since you can not readily determine the quality of glass, so your recommendation of visiting a smoke shop makes sense, if only that was an option for me.

The link you shared is a perfectly acceptable rig. The joint size does not necessarily matter, I mainly point it out to make sure the nail and/or dome fit the rig. Of course if it all comes together like this then it will most definitely fit.

I personally would like something a little bigger and possibly with a domeless nail. The one I shared before is an example of this. They do not require a dome, or "globe", which is very nice because it gives you one less thing to mess with/ break while you are vaporizing. I will link an old set up of mine that I find reasonably priced and know for a fact is high quality. It is a bit pricey for the budget smoker but, all things considered, very reasonable.
The RigThe main things I like about this are: The male joint allowing easy of use with nails and domes, the shower head perc allowing a lot of airflow, and the glass being quite thick and well made.
The Nail This may not be the exact nail but it was very similar. The main points are: Universal but most importantly can have a female 14mm size, Grade 2 titanium which is a higher quality than 1 and must be used when smoking.

Hope this is helpful and will be more than happy to answer any more questions! Big grin

CrayJay
#114 Posted : 1/31/2016 10:50:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen wrote:
The link you shared is a perfectly acceptable rig. The joint size does not necessarily matter, I mainly point it out to make sure the nail and/or dome fit the rig. Of course if it all comes together like this then it will most definitely fit.

Awesome info, thanks again! I am really just looking for a small, portable rig that I can use to blast off with a one and done drag, since various other methods have been difficult for me to breakthrough with, especially as a non-smoker. The concern I have with the rig I linked is that it says the nail is non-adjustable, will this make the vaporization process harder to coordinate, or what does that mean exactly?

What would a good starting point be with regard to how long you should light the nail, and then how long to wait prior to vaporizing? I understand the glass nail procedure, (just dab right as the glow starts to dissipate) but what about for titanium?

My last concern is related to the actual act of dabbing. I now understand the importance of temperature, but would it pretty much be fool proof if I fed the DMT to the nail by getting in very close proximity without actually making contact, allowing for the Leidenfrost effect to take place? Is a titanium tool such as this one recommended for the feeding process? [link]

Thanks in advance gentlemen, I will soon make good use of these tips Thumbs up

CrayJay
#115 Posted : 1/31/2016 11:02:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good news guys, it turns out there is a nice glass shop right around the bend, go figure. It looks like I will have the opportunity to appreciate some fine craftsmanship prior to making my purchase.

Hey Leithen, so does one simply attach the dome after lighting the nail sufficiently, otherwise it seems dangerous especially if it is a glass nail, no?

Confused

Leithen
#116 Posted : 1/31/2016 11:36:12 PM

Be Here Now

Thats correct. I get my entire nail red hot and let the glow die down a bit, then I place the dome on. I wait a little longer and then take the hit. The amount of time you wait depends on how hot you get it and how thick the titanium is.

Anyways the best way to figure this out will no doubt be to go in to the store. Hopefully the employees will know a thing or two and you can get a good idea of everything and actually have it in hand. I would highly recommend asking to look at some pieces closer and even put water in them if they allow it. See what you like and maybe buy something there, if not you will have a much easier time online.Thumbs up

CrayJay
#117 Posted : 2/1/2016 12:55:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Leithen wrote:
Thats correct. I get my entire nail red hot and let the glow die down a bit, then I place the dome on. I wait a little longer and then take the hit. The amount of time you wait depends on how hot you get it and how thick the titanium is.

Anyways the best way to figure this out will no doubt be to go in to the store. Hopefully the employees will know a thing or two and you can get a good idea of everything and actually have it in hand. I would highly recommend asking to look at some pieces closer and even put water in them if they allow it. See what you like and maybe buy something there, if not you will have a much easier time online.Thumbs up

Sounds good to me! And it turns out that their cheapest rig runs around $100, so the online option may need to be explored for an actual purchase. Regarding the feeding process, wouldn't it be easier if the nail wasn't completely vertical, because otherwise you may end up with DMT falling directly on it since you will have to go in at a downward angle? Something like this seems more conducive for our purposes, right? [link]

Leithen
#118 Posted : 2/1/2016 1:29:04 AM

Be Here Now

For what you are describing, yes that would be much better. I have got my temperature down to a science so I actually put my spice directly on the nail.

They also sell adapters to make straight joints go to a 45 or vise versa.

Another idea i've had but never actually tested is putting the spice on a screen or dish and then placing that on the hot nail. I know people do this for cannabis concentrates. I will post and example here. I can't say for sure that it would work without an electronic nail (one was used in the video) but it may be a very interesting thing to test out. I certainly will next chance I get.

CrayJay
#119 Posted : 2/1/2016 2:02:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, I wonder if that will affect the target temperature for your nail. Will the screen be able to fit within the dome? Speaking of which, one will be inhaling just prior to the DMT vaporizing, but would DMT otherwise escape if there was no dome to trap it in?

I think I'll have to go with this rig for starters, I like the overall setup, "Baby Bottle" is a silly name but it looks sharp, has a titanium nail, and good angle for feeding, seems reasonable to me! [link]

How long does it take you to get your nail up to temp? I'll need a general guide for my first launch, and will make adjustments in the future to fine tune it to a science. I'll be using a propane torch.

Psybin
#120 Posted : 2/1/2016 4:08:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CrayJay wrote:
Interesting, I wonder if that will affect the target temperature for your nail. Will the screen be able to fit within the dome? Speaking of which, one will be inhaling just prior to the DMT vaporizing, but would DMT otherwise escape if there was no dome to trap it in?

I think I'll have to go with this rig for starters, I like the overall setup, "Baby Bottle" is a silly name but it looks sharp, has a titanium nail, and good angle for feeding, seems reasonable to me! [link]

How long does it take you to get your nail up to temp? I'll need a general guide for my first launch, and will make adjustments in the future to fine tune it to a science. I'll be using a propane torch.

The best way to get a good temp is to heat the titanium nail till it is uniformly glowing orange hot, then let it cool till it no longer glows at all (the moment just after the last bit of red glow has left the nail is ideal with spice). The amount of time this takes depends on the thickness and size of the nail. I wouldn't bother with the screen on a dome setup, you'll probably just drop the screen inside the dome and burn your fingers. Or worse, spill the sticky melting spice into the joint and get the dome stuck to the rig (done that before). Better to just scoop up a dose of spice with a dabber tool that has a shovel or spoon on one end and tap it against the nail as you dab it to get all the spice onto the hot nail as quickly as possible. The main advantage of dabbing is to get it all in one fast hit, so you want to try and dump the spice as quickly in one smooth motion as you can. Begin inhaling at full pace before you dab the DMT, or else it will all poof up in a cloud of vapor above the nail before you can get any of it into the rig, let alone your lungs.

«PREV45678NEXT»