We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Harmine Reverses Type 1 Diabetes?! Options

Auxin
#1 Posted : 3/9/2015 6:44:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read the medical news every day and am rarely surprised, but this is just shocking.
Quote:
Novel drug candidate regenerates pancreatic cells lost in diabetes

In a screen of more than 100,000 potential drugs, only one, harmine, drove human insulin-producing beta cells to multiply, according to a study led by researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, funded by JDRF and the National Institutes of Health, and published online today in Nature Medicine.

Diabetes results from too few insulin-producing "beta cells" in the pancreas secreting too little insulin, the hormone required to keep blood sugar levels in the normal range. The disease affects 380 million people worldwide, and leads to major medical complications: heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and limb amputation.

The Mount Sinai study found that harmine drove the sustained division and multiplication of adult human beta cells in culture, a feat that had eluded the field for years. In addition, harmine treatment tripled the number of beta cells and led to better control of blood sugar in three groups of mice engineered to mimic human diabetes.

"Our results provide a large body of evidence demonstrating that the harmine drug class can make human beta cells proliferate at levels that may be relevant for diabetes treatment," said senior study author Andrew Stewart, MD, Director of the Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism Institute at the Icahn School of Medicine. "While we still have a lot of work to do in improving the specificity and potency of the harmine and related compounds, we believe these results represent a key step toward more effective future treatment of diabetes."

Loss of insulin-producing beta cells has long been recognized as a cause of Type 1 diabetes, in which the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys beta cells. In recent years, researchers have concluded that a deficiency of functioning beta cells also contributes importantly to Type 2 diabetes. Thus, developing drugs that can increase the numbers of healthy beta cells is a major priority in diabetes research.

Re-Creating a Burst

As humans develop, each cell divides into two, leading to many more cells in subsequent generations as organs form. In the case of beta cells in the pancreas, most of this multiplication comes in a burst during the first year of life and then declines during childhood, leaving a limited supply to last a lifetime. During this burst, about two percent of a child's beta cells are dividing at any one time. The current study found that harmine re-creates roughly the same amount of beta cell division, both in cell and animal tests.

While increasing the supply of beta cells seems an obvious approach, past attempts to do so have been met with limited success. Perhaps as a result of their unique genetic program, adult beta cells strongly resist attempts to nudge them into cell division.

Over several years, Dr. Stewart and colleagues unraveled genes and signaling pathways that drive multiplication (proliferation) of beta cells, and then confirmed proposed mechanisms with gene therapy. Based on the current study results, the team believes a particular enzyme, "dual specificity tyrosine-regulated kinase-1a (DYRK1A)," is the likely target of harmine. With this discovery, DYRK1A, known from past studies to drive cell division in other cell types, becomes a drug development target.

"We found that harmine, likely by interacting with DYRK1A, increases levels of other known drivers of cell division," said Peng Wang, PhD, Assistant Professor of Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Bone Disease at the Icahn School of Medicine and first author of the paper. "These drivers include the protein c-MYC, the gene for which was the basis of the screen we used to identify harmine as a potential treatment."

Dr. Wang said the team designed a sensor to glow (thanks to a firefly gene) when any compound activated the promoter DNA snippet responsible for turning on the c-MYC gene. Of more than 100,000 compounds analyzed in a high-speed robotic screen, harmine was among 86 that caused the brightest glow, and was the only one of these that caused beta cell proliferation. The c-MYC pathway appeared to some researchers to be an unlikely therapeutic target for beta cell regeneration because past studies had found it to cause beta cell death when activated in high doses. However, the current study found that harmine causes only modest increases in c-MYC levels, and no beta cell death.

The research team will now focus on making changes to the harmine and its relatives (harmalogs) to find drug candidates that target only beta cells.

Harmine is derived from a flowering plant called Harmal (peganum Harmala) found in the Middle East, and from some South American vines. Drug development efforts based on harmine will need to grapple with its known psychoactive effects on the brain, which may explain its traditional use in spiritual ceremonies and as medicine.

The study was funded by grants from JDRF, the leading research and advocacy organization funding type 1 diabetes research (17-2011-598 and 1-2011-603).

"We believe that beta cell regeneration will play a key role in ultimately curing type 1 diabetes, and JDRF is pleased to support Dr. Stewart's research into renewing these cells in humans," said Patricia Kilian, PhD, director of the JDRF Regeneration Research Program. "If successful, this early research could lead to drugs that restore beta cells in people with type 1 diabetes, realizing the vision of a future free from insulin therapy."

[Link]

The wording was carefully chosen to imply that their goal is to seek a patentable ß-carboline that possesses the same beta cell proliferation promoting effect as harmine with some improvement such as elimination of the RIMA activity and/or improved efficacy.
But people can fucking grow harmine, and the safety profiles and standard practices surrounding the vine and esfand are well characterized.
Fucking right on, man Laughing

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

RhythmSpring
#2 Posted : 3/9/2015 7:54:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mark my words, I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is only a matter of time until we discover that harmalas such as Syrian Rue are virtually a panacea.

I've been using harmine (syrian rue tea) to rebuild cartilage lost in joint damage due to rheumatoid arthritis. It's working (subjectively). Perhaps a few years from now I'll get X-rays to prove it.

http://www.sciencedirect...le/pii/S0300908412004324
Quote:

A significant number of natural compounds have been shown to regulate the behavior of the cells, in collaboration with cellular proteins. CCN2/connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) has been reported to have essential roles in cartilage development, chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation as well as regulation of the extracellular matrix metabolism. Previous studies demonstrated the capability of CCN2 to regenerate surgical defects in articular cartilage of rat knee. Also, transgenic mice over-expressing cartilage-specific CCN2 were shown to be more resistant to aging-related cartilage degradation. We hypothesized that small molecules that induce CCN2 in chondrocytes could be novel candidates to increase the resistance to aging-related cartilage degradation, or even to correct cartilage degenerative changes incurred in OA. Therefore, this study screened a compound library and identified the β-carboline alkaloid harmine as a novel inducer of CCN2 in human chondrocytic HCS-2/8 cells and osteoarthritic articular chondrocytes. Harmine increased the expression of the cartilage markers aggrecan and COL2α1, as well as that of the master regulator of chondrogenesis, SOX-9. Moreover, harmine notably induced chondrogenesis of prechondrocytic ATDC5 cells in micromass cultures. The chondroprotective effect of harmine was investigated under inflammatory condition by stimulation with TNFα, and harmine was shown to ameliorate TNFα-induced decrease in expression of CCN2 and cartilage markers. These findings uncover novel chondrogenic effects of harmine and indicate harmine as a potential drug for prevention and/or repair of cartilage degradation.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

universecannon
#3 Posted : 3/10/2015 12:04:03 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Fascinating...I can't even begin to explain how underrated I feel harmalas are after working with them a lot over the years. And that's from mostly just being interested in their perceptual effects, and effects on the 'imagination' (whatever the hell that is). They are clearly even further reaching than that.

Rythmspring, Do you mind elaborating on the way you have been using rue (dosage/frequency)? Sounds interesting

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

RhythmSpring
#4 Posted : 3/10/2015 12:17:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

uni, I was inspired by the Mohammedian quote (taking a "certain measure" of harmal every morning for 40 days curing diseases, etc.) to try it, but I very much stumbled in remaining consistent with the dosages. Sometimes I would skip days, sometimes I would do it in the evenings... I got discouraged when I started feeling like I was wading around in psychic soup all day. Then I realized that that mental malleability needed to be directed by the "light" of tryptamines, otherwise stagnation would occur.

Right now my plan is to take ~1.5g rue as often as possible, probably once a day, while eating lightly and taking ayahuasca when I feel ready.

That's 1.5g rue ground up in a coffee grinder, and simmered for just 3 minutes in a little water, strained and drunk.

I've found that wellness isn't from taking harmalas alone, though. I feel that they must be balanced out by tryptamines, or else they plunge you into emotional material that you don't quite know how to get moving. Likewise, I think just taking tryptamines will give you lots of energetic movement, but if you haven't sought out the guidance and grounding of harmalas, you might not know what you're moving. The magic is in the balance of the two, the synergy.

Mind = Body

Conscious mind = central nervous system, with the 5 senses as the interface with reality

Subconscious mind = the rest of the body, with the digestive tract as the interface with reality
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

universecannon
#5 Posted : 3/10/2015 12:58:45 AM

RhythmSpring wrote:
uni, I was inspired by the Mohammedian quote (taking a "certain measure" of harmal every morning for 40 days curing diseases, etc.) to try it, but I very much stumbled in remaining consistent with the dosages. Sometimes I would skip days, sometimes I would do it in the evenings... I got discouraged when I started feeling like I was wading around in psychic soup all day. Then I realized that that mental malleability needed to be directed by the "light" of tryptamines, otherwise stagnation would occur.

Yeah that's a pretty good way of putting it. Tryptamines and harmalas go hand in hand for me. Melatonin also seems to work perfectly with harmalas. Cannabis to.

There's good evidence that we're chronically deficient in melatonin and other pineal metabolites very similar to rue harmalas, such as pinoline and several others, largely due to diet and artificial lighting.

During my main period of daily harmala dosing (usually rue tea but often times pure-ish harmalas or caapi tea) of nearly 2 years I almost always took melatonin. And when engaged in practices that guide it, I found it vastly more rewarding and useful. My mind seems to have been permanently re-wired. Most interesting to me was always it's ability to initiate a kind of literal autopoiesis of the imagination, which seamlessly shifts from imagined, to experienced in every sensory modality (or a synesthesiac mix).

And of course the drastic increase in synchronicity, precognition, and all of that jazz Laughing

Nathaniel
#6 Posted : 3/11/2015 4:44:43 PM

Nathaniel

http://www.healthline.co...ersing-diabetes-030915#1

"A chemical found in ayahuasca has the potential to regenerate pancreas cells that have been lost to diabetes."

Pretty incredible stuff!
You are me and I am you, I'll always be with you...

universecannon
#7 Posted : 3/11/2015 5:01:28 PM

Interesting indeed! Harmalas are useful in so many ways, many of which we probably don't understand yet

There's another thread here https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=63361 btw

edit: nevermind, looks like the threads have been merged Smile

null24
#8 Posted : 3/11/2015 6:27:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Fascinating stuff! I've just started working with harmalas, and despite the fact that for me it seems to be something i must be very careful with, I'd like to continue my personal research. I'm mostly interested in it for anti depressant qualities, but I'm amazed at things like this that i read about it. Obviously harmalas are beneficial and powerful medicine.

I honestly don't think i was respecting the power when i experienced a severe rise in aggression and irritability from daily Rue smoking for less than a week. I think i was getting a much higher dose than i thought, and my neuro chemical was put into an unbalanced state asa result. The information in the posts above are very helpful, as i want to incorporate them into my 'healing diet' but need to do so properly.

I think i got out of hand because the Rue is so nice with weed .
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Bancopuma
#9 Posted : 3/13/2015 4:19:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"Diabetes is caused by the loss of beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Dr. Andrew Stewart, Director of the Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism Institute at the Icahn School of Medicine, and colleagues have found that harmine and related compounds regenerate pancreatic cells lost due to diabetes. The discovery was reported in the March 9, 2015, edition of the journal Nature Medicine."

http://www.examiner.com/...es-pancreatic-beta-cells

Study:

Wang, P., Alvarez-Perez, J.C., Felsenfeld, D.P, Liu, H., Sivendran, S., Bender, A., Kumar, A., Sanchez, R., Scott, D.K., Garcia-Ocaña, A. & Stewart, A.F. (2015) A high-throughput chemical screen reveals that harmine-mediated inhibition of DYRK1A increases human pancreatic beta cell replication. Nature Medicine, In Press.

http://www.nature.com/nm...urrent/full/nm.3820.html

universecannon
#10 Posted : 3/13/2015 5:14:07 PM

Exciting stuff Banco Smile. It's making headlines all over. The researchers though seem focused now on just creating a version that isn't psychoactive...which isnt necessarily a bad thing but maybe they should explore more how it does first

There's another discussion on this study in the harmalas section I believe

RhythmSpring
#11 Posted : 3/13/2015 6:22:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For me the psychoactivity of harmalas are inseparable from the insights they bring about.

"Oh no! We don't want people realizing things as they get healthier!" - a scientist
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Auxin
#12 Posted : 3/13/2015 8:27:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really do doubt that its the psychoactive effects that they are concerned about.
In the study the worthwhile therapeutic window was in the 5-20 µM range, with the optimum effects realized at 15 µM.
15 µM harmine is roughly 3 mg per liter. The human body is 7% blood, bloods density is 1.06, I'm a skinny bastard at 117 lb when fasting, that would be 10 mg of harmine (calculated as freebase) in my blood at a given time. I havent done the rest of the math but that would probably be realized by orally ingesting somewhere from 30-50 mg of mansked harm(al)ine hydrochloride dihydrate (harmaline was found to be virtually inactive in the paper) a couple times a day. That should be nowhere near a point at which harmine is distinctly psychoactive all on its own, its basically the upper end of the harmala 'microdosing' that people here do.

Harmine cant be patented.
Drugs that cant be patented almost never make it to human trials, no matter how well they work.
This wont be proven in humans without clinical trials.
So, yeah, they should just go shulgin on the molecule until they can justify human trials. Once its proven, fuck the $100 pills, just eat some rue Razz

RhythmSpring
#13 Posted : 3/14/2015 12:45:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Auxin wrote:

So, yeah, they should just go shulgin on the molecule until they can justify human trials

Can you elaborate on this? What does it mean to "go Shulgin" on something?

Agreed that we shouldn't wait around for trials and approval n stuff. More power to the people for self-healing.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Auxin
#14 Posted : 3/14/2015 1:10:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lol, Sasha Shulgin was a psychedelics pioneer that looked at compounds like MDMA, mescaline, and DMT and, using known or hypothesized principals of comparative pharmacology and drug metabolism, he created and tested hundreds of drug analogs to see how the changes altered the effects of the drugs.
So basically I just meant to make and test harmine analogs in a logical and directed way.

RhythmSpring
#15 Posted : 3/14/2015 2:55:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, yes, I know who Sasha Shulgin is. He did many things, so I was wondering what you were referring to.

I see no point in trying to come up with a harmine analog. It's like trying to perfect nature. Even if we do come up with a harmine analog that's not psychoactive, I'm sure it'll come with side effects like pretty much every other pharmaceutical drug.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

brilliantlydim
#16 Posted : 7/13/2016 12:07:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Question for you brilliant people of the nexus.

Would any kind of attempt at harmine extraction, purification coupled with some type of ROA to spur beta cell regeneration in a type 1 diabetes patient be even long shot feasible for a amateur, green, kitchen chemist?

If so, any suggestions on how it would be done?

I am assuming in the study they injected the pure harmine into the pancreas? Would any kind of ROA be worth a shot?

Something this promising right in my reach seems like it should be at least worth a shot.

Felnik
#17 Posted : 7/13/2016 1:16:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't forget the Russian olive autumn olive trees which are
Prolific to the point of being invasive in certain areas also contain harmine compounds as well . They could be growing right in your backyard. I know I have 2 of them in my yard . Fascinating study
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

arcologist
#18 Posted : 7/13/2016 6:44:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ehud wrote:
Question for you brilliant people of the nexus.

Would any kind of attempt at harmine extraction, purification coupled with some type of ROA to spur beta cell regeneration in a type 1 diabetes patient be even long shot feasible for a amateur, green, kitchen chemist?

If so, any suggestions on how it would be done?

I am assuming in the study they injected the pure harmine into the pancreas? Would any kind of ROA be worth a shot?

Something this promising right in my reach seems like it should be at least worth a shot.

It's doable with a bit of work (search for the tao of rue extraction, then you need to separate harmine/harmaline by controling the pH precisley by adding drops of baking soda water until the harmine precipitates. Generally you would want to make the HCl salt by performing manske on the purified freebase harmine, yielding bright yellow crystals.

If I were to try treating diabetes I would probably suggest starting with about 50mg of harmine HCl taken orally in capsules twice a day continuously for a period of a few months, this would be non-psychoactive. You could slowly increase the dose up to maybe 100-150mg before there would be significant psychoactive effects.

brilliantlydim
#19 Posted : 7/13/2016 8:41:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

arcologist wrote:

If I were to try treating diabetes I would probably suggest starting with about 50mg of harmine HCl taken orally in capsules twice a day continuously for a period of a few months, this would be non-psychoactive. You could slowly increase the dose up to maybe 100-150mg before there would be significant psychoactive effects.

Would you worry about any dietary interactions with this kind of dose?

From what I can gather, it doesn't sound like it should really be an issue.

Insulin would be the only other medication in the mix.

arcologist
#20 Posted : 7/14/2016 7:01:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ehud wrote:
[quote=arcologist]
Would you worry about any dietary interactions with this kind of dose?

From what I can gather, it doesn't sound like it should really be an issue.

Insulin would be the only other medication in the mix.

I think it's probably not an issue because harmine only inhibits MAO-A (while MAO-B is untouched), so your MAO capability is reduced but not eliminated. Plus, it's a reversible inhibitor. The only things to definitely avoid are the SSRIs that can cause serotonin syndrome.

I feel like you might want to avoid caffeine, in my experience taking harmalas the two combined seem to frequently give me a splitting headache that lasts for 24 hours. But that might also just be me, the same happens with psilocybin, so go for it if you feel like it.

12NEXT