We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
First Attempt At Growing Cacti Options

Gone-and-Back
#1 Posted : 2/28/2015 5:08:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A week or two ago I recieved my first cactus cutting, it was a trichocereous bridgesii that was about 12-14 inches long. With joy and excitement I planted it into a three gallon pot and made sure it was nice and sturdy so it wouldn't fall over. I used an extremely airy soil that is all organic. It also is about half perlite to aid drainage. The local garden shop had some San Pedro growing in it and it seemed to love it.

So anyways, I have eagerly been awaiting roots to form since I planted it. I even placed a Vornado room heater aimed at the pot to help keep it and the soil warm to promote root growth. It also has a CFL 6500k spectrum grow light shining on it all day and night. This is partially due to the fact that it is currently housed with my only weed plant, for lack of space and warmth during these winter months. It also keeps the little room at a steady temp of no less then 70 degrees F.

Today I pulled on it a little to test for resistance, and was saddened to not feel anything yet. So I pulled it out of the soil to inspect the bottom of the cutting. To my amazement, there was a single little root that had shot out! Success!

I am very happy and honored to join the ranks of people who grow this sacred ally. I plan on making many cuttings from this one once it gets big enough, and plan on significantly growing my collection. Next on the list is San pedro, and if I'm lucky enough to come across a peyote seed or cutting, that would be the ultimate honor.

Gone-and-Back attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,592kb) downloaded 517 time(s).
image.jpg (1,904kb) downloaded 520 time(s).
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

cave paintings
#2 Posted : 2/28/2015 6:08:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! Looks like a happy bridgy and sounds like a happy owner.
Patience is key with cacti. They'll grow slower than you like when you pay too close and often attention, but find yourself marveling months later how it got so big. I'm sure it will like the full sun too, when you can put it outside. Glad you've joined the ranks of the Cactus Clique.
Stay prickly friend.
Living to Give

Gone-and-Back
#3 Posted : 2/28/2015 7:20:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yes patience is key for they are slow growers. Once it warms up in the next few months it will be put outside. I'll have to see where in my yard gets the best amount of light for it. I don't want it in full sunlight all day.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

xram
#4 Posted : 2/28/2015 7:24:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Unless you live in a very sunny place, it will acclimate to full sun pretty fast. You can ease it into the light, but after a few weeks I'd say give it as much room and light as you can.

Nice cactus, congrats on getting started!

Gone-and-Back
#5 Posted : 2/28/2015 7:36:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I guess it's not to bad here in the Midwest. Much less sun then their natural habitat.

I also have 20 seeds I plan on planting some time, but have not gotten around to it.

Gone-and-Back
#6 Posted : 3/7/2015 2:59:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

First signs of growth have been noted! Big grin

A small area of very bright green flesh has formed at the tip, along with a few new areoles and little baby spines. However, the root system is still almost non existent. It consists of a small little root about an inch long, and maybe one or two little ones that appear to be forming as well. I probably will wait another week or two before giving it any water.

At first I thought something was wrong, because the tip had this brownish tan, furry looking stuff coming out of it. I didn't know what it was but shortly afterward realized these are the spots that the spines are forming. The fear quickly went to excitement.

Does anyone here know how often these things flower by the way? I would love to be able to witness such a thing. Can they be forced to flower such as other plants, just by changing the light they are under and the amount of time they are under light?

Gone-and-Back
#7 Posted : 3/23/2015 2:15:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So the cactus has been growing, yet it still is very loose in the soil. I removed it and saw there were a total of five little roots, all about an inch long. The one that was there first is still the same size as it was before.

Anyways, it's growing so I'm not too concerned. But what I want to know is if it's safe to water it at this point? Could this cause the roots to grow faster? Or will it potentially cause rot because the roots are not big enough to absorb it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Tryptallmine
#8 Posted : 3/24/2015 12:59:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
So the cactus has been growing, yet it still is very loose in the soil. I removed it and saw there were a total of five little roots, all about an inch long. The one that was there first is still the same size as it was before.

Anyways, it's growing so I'm not too concerned. But what I want to know is if it's safe to water it at this point? Could this cause the roots to grow faster? Or will it potentially cause rot because the roots are not big enough to absorb it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

I'm interested to know this as well. I had 2 cuttings a while back of pachanoi around a foot each, I put them straight in garden bed soil and watered them first day and pretty much every second day there after. Then started reading that I shouldn't be watering as much?

They've been growing steadily ever since in full sun. Each cutting has about 3-5 new arms growing off them.

D.REYx420
#9 Posted : 3/24/2015 3:09:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ime they just root whenever they want but I dont start to water them until I see some roots and very sparingly. I would just let it chill and leave it be for a month and then up pot and see if theres roots and water it once if there is.
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

Gone-and-Back
#10 Posted : 3/24/2015 11:04:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Sounds easy enough. Maybe when it gets warm enough to put it outside the sun heating the pot and soil with help speed things up

DansMaTete
#11 Posted : 3/24/2015 1:12:13 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Afaik, direct sunlight should be avoided until rooted. And when ready for sun, cactus need to be acclimatized progresively (hey, you don't go at the beach all day when you're not taned Razz ).
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

D.REYx420
#12 Posted : 3/24/2015 2:08:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yup what he said
"we are not human being's having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual being's having human experience's." (Teilhard de Chardin (1975?)

DansMaTete
#13 Posted : 3/24/2015 3:46:27 PM

'He' is happy to be backed up Big grin

Gone-and-Back
#14 Posted : 3/25/2015 5:33:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have always heard mixed results when it comes to placing it in full sun. Some say not to do it without working up to it, and others say it doesn't matter and placing it in full sun won't harm it...

Anyways, would heating the soil make it root faster? I can always get a heat mat.

Also, I noticed a black/brown spot on the cactus that looks kinda weird and concerns me a little bit. I will attach a picture. It doesn't feel soft or mushie compared to the rest of the cactus, just looks slightly alarming.

image.jpg (1,768kb) downloaded 389 time(s).

DansMaTete
#15 Posted : 3/25/2015 6:33:13 PM

It looks to me that is a kind of bruise and in my small experience, it should cork with no harm.

Gone-and-Back
#16 Posted : 3/25/2015 7:14:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Strange. Must have happened when I first placed it in the pot, it tipped over a few times before I got it stabilized.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm thinking of planting my seeds too, I can keep them in the same spot with that light for now, and come budding season for my plant, I'll move them elsewhere

D.REYx420
#17 Posted : 3/28/2015 3:09:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea it should heal itself but concerning the full sun thing, its really up to the cactus. I usually start all my cacti up by the house and move them farther away from the house until they are where they seem they like to be and there all different, so id say when you do get to that point just gradually move it out to somewhere that has moar sun until you think its to much for it and then find the sweet spot.

Gone-and-Back
#18 Posted : 3/29/2015 11:53:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I just took a cutting from a friends Aloe Vera plant. I have it drying in front of a fan currently.

I believe this can be planted just like any other cactus cutting, yes?

I am excited to add this to my collection. Aloe is such a great medicine.
image.jpg (1,489kb) downloaded 341 time(s).

DansMaTete
#19 Posted : 3/30/2015 12:46:42 AM

Sorry, but nop.
I think you need to dig up pups, leaves are just water tank, afaik.

Gone-and-Back
#20 Posted : 3/30/2015 5:01:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well I have done some reading and it all suggests that leaf cuttings like this can be planted, and will grow and eventually start producing other stems and stuff after a year or two.

Anyways, I just wanted to try to get some first hand accounts of transplanting aloe like this. I mean, it's a cactus, and as far as I know any cactus can be grown from a cutting.

I'm going to let it dry and callouse for a week and eventually plant it and see what happens. No harm in trying.

123NEXT»