We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
A Plant to Quit Smoking?! Options

Chan
#1 Posted : 1/13/2015 8:34:39 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Greetings all

It's that time of year, and I thought I'd share my experiences quitting cigarettes, with a little help from a relatively-unknown plant ally. Obviously, by definition, all quit attempts are "work in progress" and I will faithfully update this thread should I return to the dark side.

B/G: Pack a day smoker for about 20 years, three previous quit attempts, each good for ~12 months, before hubristic relapse aka "One won't hurt!" Lengthy period of e-cig use, but that only led back to the cellophane hell. So, determined to make good on my promises to the Universe, self & others.

Having finally started working with salvia properly, I was puzzled to find myself daydreaming about laburnum, of all things. WikiP soon cleared things up: the alkaloid it contains, cytisine, has been used extensively throughout former Soviet countries as a quitting-therapy. Truly, salvia's reputation as a "master plant" is richly deserved!

Laburnum is surprisingly hard-to-find these days, it was common when I was a kid, but successions of risk-averse parents must have chopped them all down. In any event, I doubt safe, non-lethal extraction is an option for a ghetto-chemist.

A Bulgarian company still manufacture the tablets under the name Tabex. The idea is you flood with 6 tablets for the first few days, then taper down to 1/day over the course of a month. Cytisine is an acetylcholine agonist, and has strong binding affinity for the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, more so even than nicotine. You continue to smoke when you feel like it for the first few days of treatment, becoming progressively less drawn to nicotine as you do so. For me, it worked. Basically, as the cytisine takes hold, you find yourself thinking less about cigarettes. The itch subsides, you can power through the first few hours of the day without lighting up, and you might permit yourself one at say, lunchtime. But this first cigarette feels like the tenth of a chain-smoking binge. No relief/joy, just a very dry mouth and lips, and mild nausea. You extinguish it about halfway though, and you say, dang, that was nasty, I won't be in a hurry to have another.

My daily consumption dropped pretty exponentially: 20-14-8-4-2-0-0-0.... without any sense of acute withdrawal.

Essentially, it seems to make cigarettes taste and feel like they did the very first time you ever tried one i.e. not very nice at all. This is kinda exciting, because it hopefully means that I won't be carrying any happy cigarette memories around when someone eventually offers me one again. I have my final part-used pack, on which I've written my final perceptions in marker: "Does nothing, feels horrible!"

NB. I have not noticed any adverse interactions between cytisine and cannabis or changa.

Thanks to Gaia, Salvia & Laburnum Very happy
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

BundleflowerPower
#2 Posted : 1/13/2015 9:18:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing. Are you aware of any other plants which contain this compound?

kerelsk
#3 Posted : 1/13/2015 3:24:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cytisine is the principle alkaloid of the old mescal bean, Sophora secundiflora.
Seems similar to tobacco in shamanic use and toxicity.

null24
#4 Posted : 1/13/2015 4:24:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into this. After quitting heroin, benzos, cocaine, methadone, etc, i find cigarettes to be the hardest kick of all. Hell, i haven't even tried on over a decade. The death of a 33yr. old acquaintance recently from an asthma attack has made it an imperative now though. I wake up in the morning and have a very difficult time until i have coffee and that opens my lungs.

I'm going to look into this.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 1/13/2015 6:58:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Theres a very recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine on cytisine vs NRT for smoking cessation:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/...7764#t=articleDiscussion
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Chan
#6 Posted : 2/5/2015 7:13:39 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Update:

1 month in and all still good, no relapses.

Def the easiest quitting I've experienced. No side effects from the Tabex.

I only really noticed the absence of cigarettes on the days I stepped the dosage down, and that was only a fleeting thought usually around mid-afternoon.

I've just started my second cycle. I was prepared for the sudden boost in cytisine to make me nauseous, but that didn't happen. I have had a couple of headaches, unusually, probably due to increased BP.

My lung and oral tissues are now letting me know they're re-adjusting to the new normal!

I imagine tar is quite an effective antimicrobial barrier. Perhaps the loss of it leads to a slight increase in sensitivity?

“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

Spiralout
#7 Posted : 2/5/2015 1:17:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have found syrian rue to help with this too. It has the same effect of making me not want to smoke and if I do it feels like I've smoke a whole bunch.

Thanks for this!

MaNoMaNoM
#8 Posted : 2/5/2015 3:52:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^.^Maybe this was mentioned before, but tobacco smoke contains harmines.
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Chan
#9 Posted : 2/5/2015 4:40:41 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

^.^ On another thread. The poster said he needed much more spice to get equivalent effects once he quit! Sad
― B.G. Bowers

MaNoMaNoM
#10 Posted : 2/5/2015 10:25:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

=^.^=i wonder just how effective hamalas are at stopping cravings....
if very effective it could be a great new way for quitting tobacco,
Laughing "ahhNO officer those seeds are for quitting cigarettes'
Seriously though, kratom might work pretty good.
"Oh i see, and these bags of kratom?"
"for quitting cigarettes"
"and this pipe?"
"tobacco"
Rolling eyes
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Auxin
#11 Posted : 2/6/2015 7:09:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BundleflowerPower wrote:
Are you aware of any other plants which contain this compound?
Cytisus scoparius aka. Scotch Broom
In my home town it was planted all over the place for bank stabilization until they realized many people are allergic. As an early teen I would collect, ferment, dry, and smoke the flowers for a slight somewhat nicotine-like buzz.

Chan
#12 Posted : 6/28/2015 12:36:23 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Another update, now I'm 6 months in: still 0 cigarettes Big grin

The effects of this treatment are really quite remarkable, I've essentially 'forgotten' that I ever smoked, right down to the neuro-receptor level. No amount of the 'common' triggers have induced me to even think about reaching for one: stressful events, parties, other smokers, drinks, post-meal etc.

I was really wary about touching mapacho after, though, as I thought it might 're-awaken' my 'dormant' (?) nicotine habit, but it didn't. Admittedly, I've only had the lightest of tokes, on only one occasion, to test the waters so to speak, but I was fine afterwards. My half-finished pack of cigarettes is still at the back of a rarely-used drawer.

I've also acquired some rapé, and a small pinch every few weeks hasn't caused me any problems either, although I note with interest that even non-smokers can apparently become habituated to regular rapé use fairly easily, so I'll definitely be careful with that too.

Namaste!

Thumbs up
― B.G. Bowers

TGO
#13 Posted : 6/28/2015 7:19:05 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Glad to hear you are still going strong! Quitting cigarettes is not something easily achieved! I quit last October after many failed attempts. I don't know what changed exactly but at some point I just really didn't want to smoke anymore. So here I am 8 months or so later cig free and feeling great!

Keep up the good work!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Chan
#14 Posted : 12/18/2015 10:44:57 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Shameless self-bump as the season approaches when some smokers start to think about quitting.

Almost one year in and still good.

Also discovered that chewing a little dried calamus root (another traditional plant remedy reputed to help with nicotine withdrawal) makes a nice admixture to peppermint gum. It has a bitter, spicy taste, which I find pleasant, and it seems to bring some calmness and focus too. Would have liked to have found this when I had just quit.
― B.G. Bowers

Intezam
#15 Posted : 12/23/2015 10:00:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

We bought two packs of tabex...we have those two moons already - still waiting for the right moment...Crying or very sad, but yeah...we're almost ready Thumbs up

Chan
#16 Posted : 12/23/2015 10:27:53 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

You are wise to wait, Intezam: like every other kind of trip, timing is crucial. Good luck, and don't hesitate to holler here or by PM, should you need to...

Also, I found this made an excellent wallpaper for the first few months:

― B.G. Bowers

Intezam
#17 Posted : 12/24/2015 12:45:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chan
#18 Posted : 12/24/2015 1:37:18 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Intezam wrote:
Love

Thumbs up

Although, they forgot to include: "Over the next 12 months, your gums will bleed like hell at the merest provocation, but your dentist will be cool with that, cause it shows they are regenerating...!"
― B.G. Bowers

Auxin
#19 Posted : 12/24/2015 6:49:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

They also didnt mention your sense of smell will improve so much that when you walk down the street you can tell which households had beans for dinner and who has a penchant for not bathing before sex... super-smell is one of the more dubious super powers.

I just hit 10 years Smile

JDSalinger
#20 Posted : 3/6/2016 11:52:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is Tabex at all related to Chantix? I haven't found anything so I believe not but thought I would double check here, thanks. Smile
“Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.” J.D. Salinger.

12NEXT