We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Growing Mimosa Hostilis Options

Harbinger
#1 Posted : 8/12/2009 1:48:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To anybody who has successfully germinated and raised a healthy mimosa Hostilis indoors, could they post a tried and true "tek" so to speak?

The Nexus Wiki doesn't seem to have an entry for actually growing a certain plant with all the steps involved.
Perhaps if knowledgeable people laid out a nice step by step process it can be added to the wiki?

I have some Mimosa seeds and I want to see them flourish!

Thanks for any help
Give the spice a little smile... and cross the veil in style.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 8/12/2009 2:31:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Never tried it myself, but I found this:

"Soak the seeds about an hour in hot (but not boiling) water before you, to prevent mould to occur during the germination process, plant them in perlite, grit or another not-organic soil. After germination (1-6 weeks) however, the plants can be transplanted in an organic soil. Give your young plants a lot of root space, much light and water them regularly. A little artificial feeding from time to time does not hurt either."

I think light, heat and humidity is key once they have been successfully germinated.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 8/12/2009 2:44:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive tried putting some seeds straight into the soil.. I dont think it was the best way, nothing came out. Next time I will make a propper seeding before transplanting.

Mimosa is usually a very tough plant naturally from dry areas, that resists adversities bravely.. But this is of course for mature plants, in the early stages it will need some care..

A member of the forum pointed out to me something called GA3, gibberellic acid, which is a natural plant hormone which greatly improves germination rate. I will try to find some here for next time I plant. Maybe research about this also..

In any case, I will also ask some friends who have grown mimosa, so if I have more information I'll post here.

balaganist
#4 Posted : 8/12/2009 2:54:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I now have one healthy looking mimosa seedling about 1 inch atm Smile

My tek went something like this:

nick the seeds with a sharp knife (this helps germination, seems to help the seedling break out of the seed shell)
soak seeds in hot water for a while (an hour or two)
put between two layers of wet paper towel in a jar by a window.
mine germinated in 2-3 days, all 5 of them!
I waited till they all had good looking sprouts, and planted about an inch deep in little pots filled with perlite on top and vermeculite on the bottom (not sure if this is the best way)
2 of them sprouted up, but only 1 survived. Once it got to about 1.5cm tall, I gently took it out and mixed in some compost with the perlite and verm, and replanted so it could start getting some nutrients.
So far its doing pretty well! The leaves close up at night and open up in the day. Looks pretty cool when its opened up.

Good luck peeps!!
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

soulfood
#5 Posted : 8/12/2009 3:05:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

What conditions are you growing in at the mo Balaganist? Are you planning on going full size with this thing?

balaganist
#6 Posted : 8/12/2009 3:22:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

its been in a clear plastic dome for humidity, but allowing air to flow underneath. Its in my kitchen which is the warmest most humid part of my flat, by a window which gets a fair bit of light. Now its got no dome on top of it, seems to be doing good.
I'll def be repotting it as and when it needs, dont know how big I will grow it as I am running out of space for plants right now!!

Got 3 little Caapi seedlings doing really well atm also Smile
And still waiting for my Chacruna seeds to germinate.... (been about 1.5 months now)
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

Harbinger
#7 Posted : 8/12/2009 10:59:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys! This is some great infoSmile

I came across the exact same quote soulfood quoted on a Google search.

I just figured I would ask here. I trust many of the people here with their experience in various areas as apposed to random Google search result

Thanks so much again balaganist! I will try your tek with a few of my seeds and see if I have the same luck as you.
If anybody else has another method, I will try it with the other seeds, and see if we can nail down a perfect method for growing these guys indoors.

In my climate Mimosas would never survive outside during winter and inside it becomes very dry. I should probably use an air humidifier for the room I keep the plant in.

Harbinger
#8 Posted : 8/12/2009 11:04:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
A member of the forum pointed out to me something called GA3, gibberellic acid, which is a natural plant hormone which greatly improves germination rate. I will try to find some here for next time I plant. Maybe research about this also..

In any case, I will also ask some friends who have grown mimosa, so if I have more information I'll post here.

Thanks that is also some good info I will research that for sure. Keep us postedSmile

Garulfo
#9 Posted : 8/13/2009 1:56:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I used a simple 'tek' for germinating seeds. I placed them on a metallic web (the ones used to filter tea) with water coming just at the seed level. No more, no less. I guess it's better to change the water every 3-5 days.
From around 50 seeds, half germinated in a week.
The small plants growed quite quickly but althought I placed them at 1 meter height, some snails of hell found them and devoured almost all of my babies in one night Crying or very sad !
Hopefully, I did not trashed the remaining seeds and they sprouted later, sometimes much later, almost one month after the others. So be patient in case of.
Small plants of mimosa are very weak and I lost many, mainly because of the wind that dried them, even if the soil was wet.

Harbinger
#10 Posted : 8/13/2009 2:53:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Snails of hell haha, well I don't think I will have to worry about them indoors, or the wind drying out the little plants.

Thanks for the tek tips.

Garulfo
#11 Posted : 8/14/2009 2:48:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Theses are around 4 months plants. How weak they look !
SWIM will be too old to smoke anything when the trees will be tall enough to gather some roots Rolling eyes
Note the salvias behind... salvias are quite happy in summer Smile !

Garulfo attached the following image(s):
small_mimosas.jpg (89kb) downloaded 2,140 time(s).

Dwhitty76
#12 Posted : 8/17/2009 5:42:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice plants garulfo!!

Living in florida...i have a good climate for growing mimosa and panning on doing so real soon. I don't have a place where i can call home (meaning i will be here for a long time), so i can alway's transplant it if it gets too big.

I also heard (i forget from where), that if you have some mhrb and you mix it in with the soil it will help, but this could just be folklore.

How long do mimosa trees take to mature, where there is descent alk content......10yrs?
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

droplet
#13 Posted : 9/8/2009 6:28:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

does anyone have any good pics of a Mimosa hostilis flower

I think i may have stumbled onto a gold mine...

I found an island covered in mimosa trees with yellow flowers, not sure if its the same type of mimosa...

I have a mimosa tree with purplish pink flowers in my backyard though but someone told me that it isn't the right one...

anyone good with plant ID?

rahlii
#14 Posted : 9/26/2009 12:32:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

These trees like full sun. Anything less and they grow spindley and wont get to harvestable size.

Goodluck growing this if you don't live in the righ climate!!

first pic is Feb 2008

Second is an unopened flower

Third was taken now under two years later.
rahlii attached the following image(s):
IMGP2385.jpg (242kb) downloaded 2,043 time(s).
mim flower.jpg (162kb) downloaded 2,032 time(s).
mim.jpg (160kb) downloaded 2,041 time(s).
From where is the noise?

'Coatl
#15 Posted : 9/26/2009 12:55:00 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Why not buy a live plant if you having trouble growing it from seed?

Live plants are always easiest.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

rahlii
#16 Posted : 9/26/2009 10:17:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry folks, I'm starting to think that the first pic is that of some bunk seeds I grew before I sourced the real thing. Had to kill those little devils as they were trying to take ver the world!!!
From where is the noise?

Garulfo
#17 Posted : 9/28/2009 2:20:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Sorry folks, I'm starting to think that the first pic is that of some bunk seeds I grew before

How do you makes the difference ? The first pic really looks like what I am growing Rolling eyes .

Anyway, waow, that tree is growing really fast !

'Coatl
#18 Posted : 9/28/2009 5:33:16 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Beware of fake Mimosa seeds, there was many on the market just a few months ago.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

rahlii
#19 Posted : 10/4/2009 11:47:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The downward pointing thorns I'm pretty sure. Sorry I didn't take any pics when the real seedlings were sprouted.
From where is the noise?

Aegle
#20 Posted : 10/4/2009 5:18:45 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Rahlii

Beautiful pictures, you should be very proud!

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

123NEXT