We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Kungpow's Bulk Mushroom Method (Start to Finish) Options

smokeydaze
#21 Posted : 10/12/2009 2:46:27 PM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

One door closes, another opens.
SMOKE MORE DMT, SMOKE MORE DMT NOW

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

kungpow
#22 Posted : 10/30/2009 2:29:05 PM

Brandon

Well this time around I tried something new with my jars that a friend suggested. This makes the process of preparing your WBS much easier. This will be my preferred method of wbs prep.

1.) Get Jars ready (clean them and prep lids with hole in center stuffed with polyfil)
2.) Place 350ml of WBS in each jar. (You do not have to remove the sunflower seeds or wash it. Just put it in straight from the bag.
3.) Add 175ml of water to each jar.
4.) Put lids on followed by tinfoil.
5.) PC for 90 min.
6.) While the jars are still warm hit them on a bike tire to break up the WBS. This method allows more startch build up in the WBS so you need to break them up while they are still warm as it will be much easier.
7.) Innoculate with your preferred method.

I used grain to grain to innoculate these jars and I had fully colonized jars in about 9 days. That was with no added heat and I keep the house cool. So in an 80F environment I am sure they would be done in 4-6 days.

~Peace

Astralking
#23 Posted : 11/25/2009 9:36:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great detailed explaination kungpow Smile. Any reason you choose wild bird seed as opposed to rye seed? Since as you said, the bird seed has things which aren't as much use Smile. Organic rye seed gaurentees no pesticides etc too!

for those who hate reading www.mushroomvideos.com gives a video walkthrough to most processes. You have to pay for the more advanced ones but you can find them on the internet by other means Wink (not sure if i can say that).
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

kungpow
#24 Posted : 1/8/2010 7:33:30 PM

Brandon

I enjoy bird seed because it is cheap and readily available. I do not have any sources close by for rye. I can just go to walmart and they have all of the wbs I will ever need. No matter what time of the year it is.

I have seen the mushroom videos that RR put out and they are great. But I also believe that one needs to do a lot of reading if you are seriously interested in mycology. IT is good to know what is going on during each step so that way you can improvise when needed. It is also very interesting to know how mushrooms work.

ismokecrystals
#25 Posted : 1/8/2010 7:54:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Theres no need to rehash unsourced information.

Why not just link to the teks where you learned (which already have pics) and put them in order in your guide.

SnozzleBerry
#26 Posted : 1/8/2010 10:19:37 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

ismokecrystals wrote:
Theres no need to rehash unsourced information.

Why not just link to the teks where you learned (which already have pics) and put them in order in your guide.

ismokecrystals, if you're aware of the other teks, why don't you?

This is just as easy to follow as paging through links at shroomery or wherever, and this will get a personal touch when Kungpow adds his pictures...I don't think there's anything wrong with this type of compilation. It's a great time saver compared to flipping through other sites, but I also feel that there's a lot of additional knowledge to be gained from paging through the different facets on your own. IMO, the only way you can develop your own style is to see what options lay before you and the best way to do that is work from the source(s). That being said, I appreciate Kungpow for taking the time to help those who don't have the time/interest in perusing through tons of mushroom information and think that this sticky will feel more personalized and less like a "rehash" with the addition of pics.

peace
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

The Traveler
#27 Posted : 8/7/2010 6:59:07 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

kyrolima
#28 Posted : 8/8/2010 7:50:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

GREAT guide.
I want to start culivating some mushies again. But before I can do this, i want Kungpow to shoot some pics.
Kungpow you got to provide photos Pleased
elusive illusion

Mycokris
#29 Posted : 8/9/2010 12:52:45 PM

The Amazing Me

great tek, but forget to mention pasteurization of the horse manure
Recently released from a Psychiatric Hospital, Don't believe anything IT says.

kungpow
#30 Posted : 8/9/2010 5:42:01 PM

Brandon

Well I figure everyone understands that the horse manure needs to be pasteurized and that is something that is very easy and you can find info very easily if you want to do your own. There are websites out there to buy pre-pasteurized manure and a very low cost. I know the nexus has an ad for one www.mi-sub.com.

I know everyone would love for me to take some pictures sometime but it really isn't possible anymore. If anyone would like to go through the process and take some pics I will be more than happy to add them into the thread. I have quit growing psychoactive mushrooms for the time being as the paranoia just gets to ya too much. I now have a medical mj lisc. and have some growing in my house. So now with that I like to have no illicits in my house. Sure did take a load off of my shoulders.

Peace

lorentz5
#31 Posted : 1/16/2011 1:50:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So let me get this straight:

1. A flowhood not necessary during inoculation?
2. 1, not 4 holes are sufficient for inoculation? 1-1.5cc split over 4 holes will work?
3. TiT incubators are unecessary?
Quote:
p.s. for incubation, I would recommend simply using a reptile heat mat [thermostat controlled] rather than involve water

so not necessary?

4. pasteurizing bulk substrate is required....
5. casing layers not necessary?

6. dread, you say ideal conditions are created by
Quote:
99% humidity
, yet most peoples' environments do not meed this criteria. Thus, is a humidifier necessary or not?

Quote:
Is there anyone that's going to try it out soon?

If SWIM does, he'll post back with updates.

Quote:
for those who hate reading www.mushroomvideos.com gives a video walkthrough to most processes. You have to pay for the more advanced ones but you can find them on the internet by other means Wink (not sure if i can say that).

THANK YOU, I found these videos and they are very clear.
I am here
(1) For increased personal power, intellectual understanding, sharpened insight into self and culture, improvement of life situation, accelerated learning, professional growth.
(2) For duty, help of others, providing care, rehabilitation, rebirth for fellow men.
(3) For fun, sensuous enjoyment, aesthetic pleasure, interpersonal closeness, pure experience.
(4) For transcendence, liberation from ego and space-time limits; attainment of mystical union.

Myco
#32 Posted : 1/16/2011 8:56:35 PM

73μ

lorentz5 wrote:

So let me get this straight:

1. A flowhood not necessary during inoculation?
2. 1, not 4 holes are sufficient for inoculation? 1-1.5cc split over 4 holes will work?
3. TiT incubators are unecessary?

Quote:

p.s. for incubation, I would recommend simply using a reptile heat mat [thermostat controlled] rather than involve water

so not necessary?

4. pasteurizing bulk substrate is required....
5. casing layers not necessary?

6. dread, you say ideal conditions are created by
Quote:
99% humidity
, yet most peoples' environments do not meed this criteria. Thus, is a humidifier necessary or not?

Quote:

Is there anyone that's going to try it out soon?

If SWIM does, he'll post back with updates.

Quote:

THANK YOU, I found these videos and they are very clear.

1. No, flowhoods are not necessary.
Actual open-air inoculations, in clean environments, are possible, but not recommended due to higher risk of contamination.
The happy medium is to build a simple glovebox-- melt two arm-holes in a clear tub with a coffee can. Clean tub, fill with supplies, than immediately before beginning work spray/mist the inside with water to "settle" contaminants that may be floating around in there.
When I work in a glovebox I wear a surgical mask, polypro shoulder-length gloves (like you wear when you stick your arm up a cow's butt) with a pair of regular nitrile/latex gloves over-the-top of the polypro gloves.

2. Well for grain spawn jars you only want one single inoculation port/hole. PF-cakes are inoculated on all 4 sides, however. There is a lot of debate among new cultivators about the amount of inoculant to use, but I can tell you from experience that 1/2-1cc is sufficient for quart jars. I've used 1/4cc in quarts of grain spwan numerous times with success, never failed, just a little slower.
Spore solution should be very, very light with spores. Anymore than 1cc for a quart jar or smaller is always unnecessary.

3. No. Incubators are unnecessary unless you for some reason live in a house that is below say 60 or 65 degrees F. While p. cubensis are a tropical/sub-tropical species they can in fact be cultivated in the 60 degree F range (yes, I've done this). They grow very slow this way, but it does work.
There really is no reason to incubate in 80+ degree temps. This increases the likelihood of contaminants catching hold. Contrary to what this thread says, many experienced cultivators will tell you that the mid 70 degree range is best.

4. Yes, 140-160 degrees sustained temp of bulk substrate for 60 minutes. Try not to ever exceed 180 degrees during this step.

5. Casing layers aren't necessary when spawning to a bulk substrate (i.e. manure, coco-coir) no. But here's some good info from a friend of mine on a different forum--
Psuper said:
"I like to make the point, when the subject comes up, that while casing lasing layers are optional when cultivating cubensis, they are beneficial (to the total harvest) when you are not providing a near perfect fruiting environment.

Those in the forums who say that cubensis don't benefit from the application of a casing layer are just rehashing statements they read on the boards.

Cubensis fruiting from a (bulk) substrate don't benefit from the addition of a casing layer IF you are providing a near perfect fruiting environment. Some cultivators get better results from there mono-tub, for example, with the addition of a casing layer. If/when I do a neglected mono tub the casing layer certainly helps- I've worked with what I think is a true mono culture in a few different growing conditions as well as numerous M.S. projects in all kinds of tubs and trays.

Adding a casing layer is also beneficial if you want to skip the dunk before your second flush!

For your first cultivation projects stick with a bulk substrate without a casing layer, or do cakes. I disagree with the idea that there is something wrong with starting with bulk substrates instead of cakes. But casing layers can be skipped for your first couple projects.

It's a good idea to test the pH of casing layers, but not mandatory, and not necessary for bulk subs. There is a specific way to do this (you need to wait one hour after adding the hydrated lime before testing the pH), read about it here from a post by Rogerrabbit: http://www.shroomery.org...p/Number/9042585#9042585 "

6. If your room/house was at this level of relative humidity your walls would rot. Mushrooms are fruited inside of small artificial environments (i.e. tubs, terrariums, greenhouses, bags). Some greenhouses (a.k.a. "martha-tek"Pleased only operate at about 85% relative humidity, but tubs are often 90-99%.

**Those mushroom videos are great, but let me encourage everyone to not steal these online, but to instead either purchase the dvd or rent it from the library. The creator, Marc Keith, is a way cool guy that has been sharing his experience on the interwebs for years. I wouldn't encourage anyone to rip a dvd if any of you guys made it. These videos are awesome, but the popular, online "mushroom growing made easy" is very outdated and often referenced by folks who think it's the same video.
arrive without traveling.

lorentz5
#33 Posted : 1/16/2011 11:06:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thank you very much myco for clearing up those questions

in regards to the ideal temperature for incubation, and the claim that room temperature suffices,

how does one explain this data http://www.shroomery.org...ich-to-store-the-PF-jars

and the huge zeal having to do with assembling incubators? Is it all for naught?
I am here
(1) For increased personal power, intellectual understanding, sharpened insight into self and culture, improvement of life situation, accelerated learning, professional growth.
(2) For duty, help of others, providing care, rehabilitation, rebirth for fellow men.
(3) For fun, sensuous enjoyment, aesthetic pleasure, interpersonal closeness, pure experience.
(4) For transcendence, liberation from ego and space-time limits; attainment of mystical union.

SnozzleBerry
#34 Posted : 1/16/2011 11:34:11 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Incubators aren't necessary unless you have a cold house...that being said, using an incubator to dial in the optimal temperature for colonization will generally decrease the amount of time it takes the myc to colonize
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Myco
#35 Posted : 1/17/2011 2:06:03 AM

73μ

lorentz5 wrote:

thank you very much myco for clearing up those questions

in regards to the ideal temperature for incubation, and the claim that room temperature suffices,

how does one explain this data http://www.shroomery.org...ich-to-store-the-PF-jars

and the huge zeal having to do with assembling incubators? Is it all for naught?

Well the info is from Paul Stamets circa 1985.....even Stamets doesn't recommend this in his newer books. 83 degrees internal temp of jar (mycelium generates its own heat, a few degrees) is a more recent figure. Iam sorry I don't have a book to reference off the top of my head though; i can tell you though that Marc Keith (who made the video you mentioned above) mentions this 83 max temp as well.

As I mentioned above, if you live in an abnormally cold house then sure, use an incubator. But with average temps (68 and above) don't bother. Small tubs can inhibit gas-exchange in the colonizing jars.

Also warmer temps can/will speed up colonization by a couple days, but the increased risk of contamination at those 80 degree temps isn't worth the couple days. Again, this is if your house is of an "average" temp. But if you live in an igloo, sure, use an incubator.

You should be shooting for 95%+ contam free jars in this hobby. All experienced cultivators will see contaminants numerous times, but you need to be seeing very high success rates- contam free.
arrive without traveling.

MelCat
#36 Posted : 10/30/2012 4:19:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

kungpow wrote:
Well this time around I tried something new with my jars that a friend suggested. This makes the process of preparing your WBS much easier. This will be my preferred method of wbs prep.

1.) Get Jars ready (clean them and prep lids with hole in center stuffed with polyfil)
2.) Place 350ml of WBS in each jar. (You do not have to remove the sunflower seeds or wash it. Just put it in straight from the bag.
3.) Add 175ml of water to each jar.
4.) Put lids on followed by tinfoil.
5.) PC for 90 min.
6.) While the jars are still warm hit them on a bike tire to break up the WBS. This method allows more startch build up in the WBS so you need to break them up while they are still warm as it will be much easier.
7.) Innoculate with your preferred method.

I used grain to grain to innoculate these jars and I had fully colonized jars in about 9 days. That was with no added heat and I keep the house cool. So in an 80F environment I am sure they would be done in 4-6 days.

~Peace

Kungpow, when you get a chance, can you update the OP with this info?

This method makes life soooo much easier when dealing with bird seed. The 350/150 ratio is perfect and colonization from a grain to grain is the fastest I've seen so far.

Highly recommended instead of the method listed in the OP. That washing, boiling, rinsing, soaking is truly for the birds...
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

virtusvelox
#37 Posted : 8/3/2013 11:54:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh nooeesss! Come back Kungpow! Read all the way to the end, aaiiiieeee! looking for the banging-head-into-laptop smiley Mad I'm such a visual nerd and grave those pics!
TIME; Natures way of making sure everything, doesn't happen at once! author unkwn

Mimosa_Man
#38 Posted : 1/21/2014 10:30:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kungpow, why did you never post pics? I would love to see them Smile
"Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
~Albus Dumbledore

DeDao
#39 Posted : 8/17/2019 7:22:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you so very much friend
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

Chaska
#40 Posted : 9/29/2019 6:47:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DeDao wrote:
Exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you so very much friend

Second3d
grow plants, make tea, love life

PREV12