We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV678910NEXT»
Book bin Options

universecannon
#141 Posted : 2/15/2013 4:01:50 AM

β˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

hyperion - dan simmons

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

slug
#142 Posted : 3/2/2013 4:54:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I recommend Tomorrow and Beyond

It has an amazing collection of sci-fi art!

DeDao
#143 Posted : 3/3/2013 11:40:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got the book "The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and its Applications"

Its by Christian Ratsch

Look..Listen to me.. you all need to hear me out. GET THIS BOOK.. Whether you buy it on amazon or rent it from your local library( what I did).

You need to see how much information this book has..

I would start listing things that blew me away but I would be typing all night.

They have every plant you can think of and list them very well and are indepth..

Just do yourself a favor and get this book...Wow..
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

d-T-r
#144 Posted : 3/6/2013 2:46:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

currently reading this :

The Heart of Recognition: The Wisdom and Practices of the Pratyabhijna Hrdayam by Swami Khecaranatha.

Quite cool. It seems Kashmir Shaivism and a lot of the tantric philosphies give 'names' to concepts i've thought of before but not had them arranged as consisely with an actual conceptual 'gloassary' to bring perspective to how it all fits together.

Tis basically the art of liberation through direct recognition of the non-dual source of one-ness that is in all things that manifests into multiplicy , and sepeartion,veil of maya, ego etc. Just to find it's self again and pierce the veiel.

The Day Tripper
#145 Posted : 3/18/2013 4:16:25 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
The Unsettling of America: Culture & Agriculture

New Collected Poems

Blessed Are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings About Love, Compassion and Forgiveness

- Wendell Berry

Especially that last book, gave me a new perspective on Christianity and exactly how its changed over the last 2000 years, at least in terms of beliefs/actions of Christians. Wendell berry is a true intellectual and Renaissance man, with a way with words few have.

Jesus was a revolutionary who was nailed to a cross for having too much love to give. Then we founded a hypocritical institutionalized religion with him as a false martyr. Everything he would be against, Crying or very sad, but not all Christians are like that. Coming from a christian scientist upbringing, i can say they are pretty close to what Jesus was all about more or less.

And off the topic of Wendell Berry, one of my all time favorite pieces of literature-

Walden and Civil Disobedience

-Henry David Thoreau

Like Berrys work, best read deep out in the heart of nature, preferably with the enhanced perception psychedelics can offer, for me it was mescaline and an rock mound known to the native Americans for hundreds of years near my mountainous town of residence. Like changing experience Thumbs up .
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Psychelectric
#146 Posted : 3/21/2013 1:02:13 AM

Curiouser and curiouser

Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas-Hunter S Thompson
What Dreams May Come- Richard Matheson
A Scanner Darkly-Philip K Dick
Survivor-Chuck Palanuik
American Gods-Neil Gaimen
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep-Philip K Dick
Neuromancer- William Gibson
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."

Amy S
#147 Posted : 3/31/2013 5:28:47 PM

No Inside, No Out

I'm not well-read but these are some of the finest and most important (to me) books that I've read:

Glass Bead Game and Siddhartha by Hesse
Gorgias by Plato
Catch-22 by Heller
Slaughterhouse-Five and Mother Night by Vonnegut
Girl with Curious Hair and Oblivion: Stories by DFW
Kafka on the Shore by Murakami
The Castle by Kafka
A Personal Matter and The Silent Cry by Oe
On the Nature of Things by Lucretius
The Birds by Aristophanes

Hmph, there are some I'm forgetting. Well, I guess I'm a sucker for fiction.

The Day Tripper wrote:
Jesus was a revolutionary who was nailed to a cross for having too much love to give. Then we founded a hypocritical institutionalized religion with him as a false martyr. Everything he would be against, Crying or very sad, but not all Christians are like that. Coming from a christian scientist upbringing, i can say they are pretty close to what Jesus was all about more or less.
Jesus was a nut, and fictional besides. Razz

The Day Tripper
#148 Posted : 4/2/2013 6:48:11 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Amy S wrote:
I'm not well-read but these are some of the finest and most important (to me) books that I've read:

Glass Bead Game and Siddhartha by Hesse
Gorgias by Plato
Catch-22 by Heller
Slaughterhouse-Five and Mother Night by Vonnegut
Girl with Curious Hair and Oblivion: Stories by DFW
Kafka on the Shore by Murakami
The Castle by Kafka
A Personal Matter and The Silent Cry by Oe
On the Nature of Things by Lucretius
The Birds by Aristophanes

Hmph, there are some I'm forgetting. Well, I guess I'm a sucker for fiction.

The Day Tripper wrote:
Jesus was a nut, and fictional besides. Razz

Well lets not get too off topic, but its open to interperetation. I know a countryfull of people that would call us "nuts" for doing what we do, taking the drugs we take, and saying what we say.

And fictional or not (got some evidence either way bud?), you can't read what people say he said in the bible and say its all BS. Theres truth in everyones perspective, in varying amounts. And yes, Jesus was there to rage against the machine, and the STORY (metaphorical, true, fiction or not, isnt worth arguing about without evidence) of how things went down is pretty much in line with my post. He was there to bring religion out of the temples and into the streets, ad-hoc, decentralize the whole affair. Look how things turned out.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Amy S
#149 Posted : 4/2/2013 12:15:55 PM

No Inside, No Out

There's no evidence he existed, that's evidence enough right there. Wink

I would say things didn't turn out very well at all! A lot of his teachings are pretty messed up, if you think about them carefully. Not that they really got followed. But I'd say there were quite a few people much more influential than Jesus that actually shaped Christianity over the centuries.

DeDao
#150 Posted : 4/6/2013 2:34:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

House, I read a post by you yesterday and was opened up to the author Philip K. Dick.

He is amazing!

I got a collection of his stories, Volume II.

He write in such a cynical, creepy way. So fantastic!!

Thank you for mentioning him on the forums!
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

primordium
#151 Posted : 4/6/2013 6:45:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Amy S wrote:

Thumbs down

Bart Ehrman (who is a secular agnostic) wrote:
[Jesus] certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees.
"The infinite vibratory levels, the dimensions of interconnectedness are without end." -- Alex Grey

The Day Tripper
#152 Posted : 4/11/2013 3:35:43 AM

Rennasauce Man

Amy S wrote:

I would say things didn't turn out very well at all! A lot of his teachings are pretty messed up, if you think about them carefully. Not that they really got followed. But I'd say there were quite a few people much more influential than Jesus that actually shaped Christianity over the centuries.

Never said he existed. I said the story of jesus, fictional, metaphorical, or whatnot, tells a tale of an enlightened individual who preached decentralized reform of theism at the time, and unrestrained love/understanding/empathy for everyone, including your enemies.

You can't read the bible and call anything in there non-fiction. But you can read it as a book and say, hey, whats being said here makes sense. Theres a lot of moral/ethical stuff in that book that cannot be marginalized, and yes, it shares many commonalities with other religions throught the ages.

I think you are mistaking me for a christian, or someone who takes the biblical text as factual in any way. I walk under no banner, and pick up spiritual bits and pieces from many different spiritual teachings, some religious, some not.

The Day Tripper
#153 Posted : 5/9/2013 4:09:48 AM

Rennasauce Man

Just ran across this public domain booklet by Elbert Hubbard, describing his viewpoints regarding law, war, and government.

JesusWasAnAnarchist.pdf

Good stuff Thumbs up

twofourtwo
#154 Posted : 5/21/2013 9:05:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A view on the 'Astral' realms plus techniques to get there, and how not to get lost etc. :

http://www.scribd.com/do...ral-Doorways-j-h-Brennan

(Astral Doorways, 1971 by J.H. Brennan)

bub
#155 Posted : 6/6/2013 12:09:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Singing to the Plants by Steve Beyer
taina naina nainí

DeDao
#156 Posted : 6/6/2013 2:32:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not sure if anyone mentioned these books but I will repeat them even if someone has!

-Out of The Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
-The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
-The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov
-The Shadow of the Torturer(And following books in series if you like) by Gene Wolfe

All are SciFi, enjoy!

The Day Tripper
#157 Posted : 6/6/2013 9:14:15 PM

Rennasauce Man

DeDao wrote:
Not sure if anyone mentioned these books but I will repeat them even if someone has!

-Out of The Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
-The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
-The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov
-The Shadow of the Torturer(And following books in series if you like) by Gene Wolfe

All are SciFi, enjoy!

Ah, Out of The Silent Planet, i remember reading that back in my jr high years. Fantastic book, makes me want to get a copy and run through it again. Thumbs up

ZenSpice
#158 Posted : 6/6/2013 9:45:18 PM

Mostly Ignored

Learning
#159 Posted : 6/7/2013 5:13:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some really good recommendations here. I feel like some Nexians might be interested in the works of Cesar Aira. He's an Argentinian "novelist," though most of his books are less than 100 pages long and lack many of the characteristics most people would associate with novels. His books tend to start relatively normal, then get really wacky and digressive really fast. Kind of like the magic realism of Marquez meets the controlled tone of Borges meets the absurdity and humor of Donald Barthelme. My favorite books by him, in order:

1. An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter
2. How I became a Nun
3. The Literary Conference
4. The Seamstress and the Wind
5. Ghosts
6. Varamo

*he has more coming out in translation. He's written over 100 of these novellas in Spanish!

DeDao
#160 Posted : 7/8/2013 4:15:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks!

Fantasy about assassins, magic, politics and culture!

«PREV678910NEXT»