We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV34567NEXT
SWIM's PF Tek Progression Options

Pup Tentacle
#81 Posted : 3/1/2014 1:38:57 PM

lettuce

Well done and a lovely sight. Enjoy!
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Archmage
#82 Posted : 3/1/2014 8:10:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So,

Had to harvest some last night... veils were split and correct me if I'm wrong but, that's time to harvest... This is about 3 cakes worth of goodies....
Archmage attached the following image(s):
Day 43 (7).JPG (1,918kb) downloaded 318 time(s).
-=Archmage=-

..."We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth. You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."

Pup Tentacle
#83 Posted : 3/1/2014 8:12:46 PM

lettuce

Archmage wrote:
So,

Had to harvest some last night... veils were split and correct me if I'm wrong but, that's time to harvest... This is about 3 cakes worth of goodies....

Yup... it is said that after the veils tear... the time has come Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Archmage
#84 Posted : 3/1/2014 8:15:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, here's the next question for all you fungi-freaks...

I didn't remove these from the cakes yet, however... they have a white fuzzy-like possible "mold/fungus" growing....

Now I am aware there are 2 types of mycelial networks, stringy and I believe fuzzy.... does this look okay to everyone? Or do I need to ditch this... Also, I believe this is the fanaticus strain, while the ones I've already harvested were the hawaiians.... Take a look below and let me know what you think!

Day 43 (8).JPG (1,930kb) downloaded 316 time(s).
Day 43 (9).JPG (1,936kb) downloaded 314 time(s).
Day 43 (10).JPG (1,986kb) downloaded 315 time(s).
-=Archmage=-

..."We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth. You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."

Du57mi73
#85 Posted : 3/2/2014 2:31:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is that the same picture 3 times?

I bet youre ecstatic to see those beauties. Is this your first time?
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

infinitynlove
#86 Posted : 3/2/2014 3:09:40 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Hey

don't worry about fuzzy mycelium at the base of shrooms, its common, I think if your humidity is high, you get more fuzzy / fluffy mycelium growth at the bottom of the shrooms.

I am not 100% certain why this is caused, but if I can remember correctly, its from high humidity, there is nothing wrong with it, don't worry it should be fine.

If you see some really white spots or patches that look like new growth, but the new growth grows really quickly, then I would be worried, if this happens this is usually trich (Trichoderma), it will turn green shortly after which means it is sporulating (pushing out spores) if it gets to this point, your fc will be full of trich spores... and your other cakes will be more susceptible to contamination.

Trich is the bain of mushroom growers everywhere....

This is what trich looks like on cakes, I think them cakes have cobweb too...

Trich has a grainy texture, like it has been pushed against sand.

If you notice trich, get rid quick of the infected cakes and take out the rest of the cakes, then clean out your fc to prevent further spreading, then when clean put back the cakes.

Also if this happens, you could do a quick bleach dunk or a mild peroxide dunk on your cakes for their second flush, but this is optional.

Cleaning a FC with perlite in it can be done by filling up the fc containing perlite with strong bleachy water, stir and let sit for say 15 mins, then rinse with fresh water 2 - 3 times, wipe down the walls of your fc with bleach and then with peroxide.

If you are concerned, feel free to post some close up pics for identification.

Peace
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

Archmage
#87 Posted : 3/2/2014 3:24:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Du57mi73 wrote:

Looks like 2nd and 3rd pics might be doubles.

Yes, first time growing shrooms.
-=Archmage=-

infinitynlove
#88 Posted : 3/2/2014 4:50:15 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Archmage wrote:
Du57mi73 wrote:

Looks like 2nd and 3rd pics might be doubles.

Yes, first time growing shrooms.

Superb first attempt !!!

Better than my first attempt, all mine went green!

*bows*
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

Entheogenerator
#89 Posted : 3/2/2014 7:50:42 AM

Homo discens

Pup Tentacle wrote:
Yup... it is said that after the veils tear... the time has come Smile

Archmage wrote:
So,

Some growers advise that one harvest as soon as the veil just barely starts to rip, when it is still mostly attached. This will minimize the amount of spores that are released onto the substrate. Supposedly letting the fruit bodies drop spore before harvest will inhibit the growth of subsequent flushes, but as far as I know this theory is solely based on anecdotal evidence.

Lookin' mighty fine there, Archmage. Keep up the good work! Thumbs up
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude Page ❋ Health & Safety ❋ FAQ ❋ Known Substance Interactions ❋ Extraction Teks ❋ The Machine

Pup Tentacle
#90 Posted : 3/2/2014 4:05:00 PM

lettuce

Archmage wrote:
Supposedly letting the fruit bodies drop spore before harvest will inhibit the growth of subsequent flushes

I have read this same thing somewhere, but haven't noticed in my personal experience that some spores inhibit more fruiting. That being said, I try not let tons of spore drop onto a substrate.

Great looking flush! Enjoy those Smile
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

infinitynlove
#91 Posted : 3/3/2014 3:55:38 PM

Mushroom Explorer

I have read the same thing about spores dropping and stunting further flushes...

but in the past I have neglected a tray on its 3rd flush and the tray ended up covered with spores, the tray was literally purple, I figured this is going to be the last flush, but I found that some of the spores must of germinated and I got a new kinda fuzzy mycelium growth across the whole tray.

the 4th flush and 5th flushes where decent, 4th was as good as or close to the 3rd, so I don't know if its true or not.

You dont really see any noticeable sporulation until all the veil has ripped and the head is about to fully open, usually a day after the veil has just started to tear / rip, this is my exp anyhow....

maybe spores are dropped earlier with different species and/or a different strain? but thai's Cambodians and golden teachers (all cubensis) all seem to sporulate about a day after the veil has started to rip.... But this could be down to my fruiting conditions, FAE, temp, light etc....

Hope this helps Smile

Great first attempt! Smile

Archmage
#92 Posted : 3/4/2014 5:59:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Day 45.... sigh.... think I'm in trouble.Crying or very sad Crying or very sad

So We wind up having to take our kid out of state for his birthday - and leave Saturday morning to return sunday night. Saturday morning would have been Day 44 - and you guys saw what we pulled off the places.... Not bad....
Mist em, and leave.... come back sunday night with a close friend just opening their box 3 times a day and very lightly misting... Here are the pics.....

Any thoughts?

Just summing up the pics below:

1st Pic - 1st harvest plate in bowl with dessicant for 2 days after 6 hours of fan drying them... Opened dessicant chamber and the shrooms were wet again... and had changed colors. When using a dessicant chamber - i read that a good idea was to place it in the fridge - I'm thinking I got bad information... THoughts?

2nd-5th pics... just some shots of the shrooms - they have funny colors here and there, RR insists that molds that grow on the spores or whatever will in no way affect us, and inisists that is a myth. Anyone's thoughts?

You can see if you look closely at the pic with my finger pointing - that I'm wiping "spores" off of the top of the shroom... at first I thougth it was brown mold...
Day 45 (1).JPG (1,855kb) downloaded 238 time(s).
Day 45 (2).JPG (1,836kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Day 45 (3).JPG (2,151kb) downloaded 236 time(s).
Day 45 (4).JPG (2,156kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Day 45 (5).JPG (1,825kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Day 45 (6).JPG (2,105kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Day 45 (7).JPG (1,926kb) downloaded 237 time(s).
Day 45 (8).JPG (1,982kb) downloaded 235 time(s).
-=Archmage=-

Archmage
#93 Posted : 3/4/2014 6:02:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Day 47 - This mornings shots of the cakes.... Do you guys think my cakes are ruined?

Day 47 (1).JPG (2,258kb) downloaded 236 time(s).
Day 47 (2).JPG (2,319kb) downloaded 233 time(s).
Day 47 (3).JPG (2,206kb) downloaded 243 time(s).
-=Archmage=-

Archmage
#94 Posted : 3/4/2014 6:10:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BTW - All shots are taken with a decent camera, you should be able to click on photos and do a halfway decent zoom-in to take a closer look - those of you who are interested in this project.
-=Archmage=-

Pup Tentacle
#95 Posted : 3/4/2014 9:10:46 PM

lettuce

I don't think they're ruined.

How many flushes have you gotten from those cakes?

Nothing looks too horrible. I see spores and what looks like bruising... some of the darker/greener places may be trich, but (and your photos are good) it's still hard to tell for sure.

I never expect much past the third flush - although I've had a few good 4th and 5th flushes.

If you really doubt that a cake is in good shape - take it out and let the rest keep on truckin'. You've got nothing to lose and only more shrooms to gain. Thumbs up

Well done Drool
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

Archmage
#96 Posted : 3/4/2014 9:15:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pup Tentacle wrote:
I don't think they're ruined.

How many flushes have you gotten from those cakes?

Nothing looks too horrible. I see spores and what looks like bruising... some of the darker/greener places may be trich, but (and your photos are good) it's still hard to tell for sure.

I never expect much past the third flush - although I've had a few good 4th and 5th flushes.

If you really doubt that a cake is in good shape - take it out and let the rest keep on truckin'. You've got nothing to lose and only more shrooms to gain. Thumbs up

Well done Drool

Hey pup, thanks.

This is the 1st flush.
-=Archmage=-

Pup Tentacle
#97 Posted : 3/4/2014 9:22:53 PM

lettuce

Did you dunk (but not roll) again after the first flush? If not, that may help .
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

Archmage
#98 Posted : 3/4/2014 9:50:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pup Tentacle wrote:
Did you dunk (but not roll) again after the first flush? If not, that may help .

I do believe I'm still in the first flush....

I am thinking about doing a bleach dunk and/or peroxide dunk.....

-=Archmage=-

Mister_Niles
#99 Posted : 3/4/2014 11:29:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe it's too early to ask you this, maybe not. How are you enjoying the process? Do you think you'll do it again?

I just inoculated on Saturday and at this point I'm feeling an equal mix of excitement and anxiety. I think I may see something happening in a couple of my jars. I need to leave them alone. This process seems like it might engender discipline and patience, which will be good for me.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

Gone-and-Back
#100 Posted : 3/4/2014 11:46:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I took some mushrooms with a friend of mine that were colored completely black, except for the bottom of the stems and the very largest of the caps. He told me it was because they were grown a little to long and the spores dropped, which is why the larger caps were not black since they stuck above the rest.

Needless to say we ate them. I did not notice any ill effects from them. They just tasted like garbage.

However, dont just eat them because of my experience. You should make sure its not mold first.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

«PREV34567NEXT