We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
just drop out already Options

Mr.Peabody
#41 Posted : 7/30/2013 10:08:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

After seeing your responses, I realize just how much we agree! My main disagreements are few.

First, jamie, I agree with everything. I said, we shouldn't seek to travel into the stars without first learning to live sustainably, and in harmony with the Earth. We won't get there any other way. Also, I agree, we have traded one set of knowledge for another. We traded the practical knowledge of what we can eat, how to make things, how to build dwellings, etc for another set of knowledge. To me, that shift is a necessary progression in our expansion of consciousness. We have changed from using our brains solely for the sake of survival, to expanding to why. Why anything? Why is the biggest question, and it is important.

I also agree about our political system. There's no way I can see what we have now being a good system for a space faring people. I honestly wonder if humanity is capable of governing itself in a way conducive to this goal.

Doodazzle,

I see your point, about how I came off sounding inconvenienced. It's not the inconvenience that gets me, it's the work itself. I am drawn to the idea that we can create machines that would automate our lives. We would no longer need to work. I feel like our system is dependent on the idea that everyone must have a job, and work, and "make a living". Why? Why can't we make our own Eden? I think technology may be an answer. At the moment, yes you are correct, you cannot have factories build sustainably. There are fumes, and chemicals, and so on. But there are new technologies which may hold the key. One such example is 3D printing. Why do we need factories to build things when you can just run a program on a printer? When you're done with what ever it is, a machine could mechanically separate and pulverize the plastics and metals down to beads, which could then be used to 3D print again. This is by no means the savior, but merely one example.

I am drawn to a society where people are truly free. They are free from needing to work, make a living. Yes, many will become fat, lazy, and worthless. There are plenty of others who just by their very natures would be drawn to higher causes. They'd be drawn to science, civics, art. The motivations for such things, which I find interesting, are not out of necessity of making a living, or otherwise. My motivations are of pure curiosity. I think a society where people could be free to be lazy, or pursue their own interests, would be the freest system humans could have. Yes, this is incredibly idealistic, but I feel it is something worth pursuing.

So, my point I guess is that, technology may be the key. I know, many will disagree, I concede that there is no sure way to know this, but technology has brought us many great things. It has brought us many terrible things.
Be an adult only when necessary.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

hixidom
#42 Posted : 7/31/2013 6:37:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Trying to imply that I'm not willing to work for my goals...or perhaps I misread you, but you repeat the term 'drop out' and mention how you won't give up just because it's hard....all that is just silly man. I'm no slacker, but thanks for the thinly veiled attacks on my character Smile

I did not mean to imply that you and Handel don't have work ethic. What I meant is what I said, which is that you two don't seem to be willing to work toward that goal because you have other goals. I think we should distinguish between that and a particular goal being impossible.

I think that any goal is possible if enough time and effort are applied. So when you say that such and such will never happen, I have to translate that to myself. I assume that what you mean is that you can't conceive of the time and effort required to accomplish that particular goal. I understand that you're not willing to put forth the effort needed to accomplish that goal because that goal does not appeal to you. I'm not implying that you and Handel are not a hard workers. If anything, I'm implying that you lack imagination.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

adam
#43 Posted : 7/31/2013 7:01:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
"What I see which is often overlooked, is the deepest part of this issue. It's what underlies this whole argument: where do you see the destiny of humanity? Is it just the status quo, likely leading to a large-scale catastrophe? Is it a return to a more primal existence, living sustainably on this planet? Or, is it exploring the heavens?"

If exploring space means we continue to destroy nature as fast as we can to procure resources to fulfill some deluded transhumanist agenda than I would say I would rather just stay here and fix the problems we have and explore other avenues.

Why does it have to be either or? WHy cant we fix our problems here and learn to live in a different way? We have a long long long long time before our sun goes nova. Life cant live on earth forever unless we move the planet or something, which might be possible. I don't think we are going to go off into space and survive to well if we don't have a homebase to go back to.

I would like to see humans polyculture the entire planet, get onto sustainable green technologies and apply biomimmicry to the design of our technology and design so that it fits in with the surrounding ecosystem. Then we get on to free energy(and yes I think it is possible and will happen)..then we go out and explore space in ships that we terraform(so they are like little planets we fly around with fully intact ecosystems that can sustain us, and then we terraform other planets. We bring the life force of gaia with us to the stars. Not as some kind of transhumanist walking computer systems but as humans.

I would also like to see this all done without the pyramid style class systems as well. I would like to think that we will move past all of our current bullshit and move towards the stars as an egalitarian civilization. I just currently don't see us being there so we obviously have problems that need to be addressed. Until the entire power structure and energy grid is entirely decentralized the idea of an even more technologically integrated future looks like a pretty bleak and freaky future. Even if we had something like free energy is it really going to be free for us? Who gets to control all of this?

When you go off into space to live in colonies it starts to sound even worse..who is in charge? Will the current power sturcuturs simply carry over into that kind of a future? I would rather those people just leave the earth colletivly for the stars on they're own in that case and leave the planet alone for the rest of us to evolve ourselves in peace.

This post is filled with amazing ideasThumbs up

I think a lot of the problem is we don't have a shared vision, if there was ever a vision of human destiny I could get behind it is this. A lot of people don't know what why they're working or the consequences of their actions, so education toward sensibility and sustainable living would likely yield a future such as this one. I actually believe this is where we are headed, the evolution of life on earth is going through a shamanic initiation currently, a trial of illness and ignorance that we are slowly healing as we become aware of our interconnectedness.

Handel
#44 Posted : 7/31/2013 6:46:21 PM

Little sheep lost in woods

> If anything, I'm implying that you lack imagination.

Or, that we have too much of it, and we can see better than you do the dangers of the things you dream about.

Doodazzle
#45 Posted : 7/31/2013 8:39:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Man, anyone who has seen terminator....or the matrix....or the borg episodes of trek can easily see those dangers. Better yet, look out your window and extrapolate--a techno-utopia is utterly rediculous.

Whenever I suggest tribal living I get accused of being utopian which = idealistic and niave.

techno-utopia somehow does not get called niave nor idealistic?

Hixi--my bad. I understand now that you were not calling me lazy.

MrPeabody....do you really think the native americans had to work harder than modern americans do? really? become self-employed, you attitude towards work just may change drastically. Mine did. last year i only worked 3 months--and was phat paid. yeah, I'm rather good at what i do. Also, my work was performed way more sustainably than the average in my industry. not perfect though. this year I've worked a lot more than last, for less pay....and I am happier this year by far. My beliefs and my actions are congruent with each other (more congruent with each other now than they were the day I started this thread actually) and that feels pretty fantabulous.

Imagine all the people, living for today-ay-ay

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

hixidom
#46 Posted : 7/31/2013 11:47:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Or, that we have too much of it, and we can see better than you do the dangers of the things you dream about.

That is certainly possible.

Quote:
Man, anyone who has seen terminator....or the matrix....or the borg episodes of trek can easily see those dangers. Better yet, look out your window and extrapolate--a techno-utopia is utterly rediculous.

In my extrapolations, as in those movies, the world is at least a utopia for the machines that have taken over. My goal is to pave the way for that transition, which I think is still hundreds (if not thousands) of years down the road.

Let's say I do drop out and live in a thatched hut somewhere in the forest with a garden, water source, etc. What if, one day, I decide I want to add a room to my thatched hut for storage. I have to collect more resources in order to do this. Let's say I want to build another room in which to build a bread oven or loom or whatever. Am I being overly ambitious? I would need to collect resources that would otherwise be used by wild animals and plants, and thus I am putting my ambitions before the wild things in taking those resources. I don't see where that justification becomes immoral between building the extra room and, later down the line, building advanced computers.

There was a time when all humans were tribal. If that lifestyle is so satisfying, then why is it that modern technology happened in the first place? It happened because people are ambitious. They want to build, create, and inovate, and that tendency will not go away just because we all go tribal. If we did go tribal, I think we would slowly improve our primitive methods and tools until, thousands of years from now, we have developed advanced technologies all over again.

Regarding the plants and animals, they are consuming as many resources as possible. If a bear could take my resources, it would not hesitate. It would take my life if it felt like it. In the wild, survival of the fittest is the only law. We are on top (and perhaps choking mother nature) because we were once ruthless and selfish as all animals are. It is in our nature to utilize whatever natural resources we can. If doing so is to our detriment later down the line, then the human population will be cut down by the resource deficiencies that we created for ourselves, but that sort of population dynamic is common among all predatory animals. The predator-prey cycle (or in our case the consumer-resource cycle) is natural, as is extinction, evolution, and all of the other "consequences" of human technological expansion.

No Knowing
#47 Posted : 8/1/2013 2:17:23 AM

fool adept

Quote:
Regarding the plants and animals, they are consuming as many resources as possible.

This is simply not true. Plants and animals take what they need to survive and stop when their desires are fulfilled. Human greed is seemingly infinite and fueled by minds and egos. Animals also play the survival of the fittest game more fairly than man.

Man will destroy an animals' ENTIRE eco-system for the idea of profit. Man will attempt to exterminate animals that bother him. [wolves are a good example] Animals only kill for food or in defense of territory.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and most of his other books are about these ideas [good read(one of the leading factors in changing me from a transhumanist)]

Quote:
In my extrapolations, as in those movies, the world is at least a utopia for the machines that have taken over. My goal is to pave the way for that transition, which I think is still hundreds (if not thousands) of years down the road.

This is a scarey attitude toward the future! Shocked Not saying it's a bad one though, all things give way to something else...

I'd hope our creations would take mercy on us and help solve all our problems before they go on to do whatever mechanical intelligence does, having some kind of affection for their "parents".

When you're aiding our machine overlords I'll be sure to be leading the last vestiges of humanity in resistance. Thumbs up
In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended.-J.C. Lilly
The Spice must flow
Zat was Zen and dis is Dao.

hixidom
#48 Posted : 8/1/2013 8:49:31 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't expect the future of technology to be so grim. I think that a symbiosis will exist between humans and AI. By expressing my acceptance of even the grim possibilities, I am trying to convey my dedication to the belief that AI will far surpass that of humans.

hug46
#49 Posted : 8/1/2013 10:52:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Doodazzzle is your anti technology/electricity manifesto a personal adventure or do you wish it for the entire world"s population? If it"s the latter, unless you are willing to compromise, you can count me out. Windmills and HEP? Or is the carbon footprint of copper mining too much for you to bare?
Either way i admire your cojones for giving an anti technolgy rant while using a computer on an internet forum. I personally wouldn"t have the nerve!

jbark
#50 Posted : 8/1/2013 3:14:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No Knowing wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the plants and animals, they are consuming as many resources as possible.

This is simply not true. Plants and animals take what they need to survive and stop when their desires are fulfilled. Human greed is seemingly infinite and fueled by minds and egos. Animals also play the survival of the fittest game more fairly than man.

Animals only kill for food or in defense of territory.

Please stop romanticising "nature". It only detracs from your argument.

Here's why, in a few quick examples:

Foxes are notorious for killing and taking away only the heads, leaving the corpses to rot.

Elephants have been known to murder rhinoceroses, apparently for no better reason that "to test their strength".

"Ants are the only species besides humans that carry out wars and enslave their own. And by enslave we mean pulling out the ant whips and putting the other guy to work against his will.

When they're not doing that, they like to tear each other limb from limb.
Less violent ants prefer to fight their battles via choreographed display fights where specially chosen ants have something like a dance-off to decide which side wins.

The victors raid the other nest, capture any survivors and steal all the eggs. Survivors and newborn ants are then forced to work for the victors' nest as long as they live; or at least until their new masters get a craving for some fresh slave ant, and devour them."

"If there is one thing lions love to do, it's moms. Unfortunately, female lions don't like to put out when they're raising a kid. So, when the lions want some but the kids are in the way, they walk up to the little brats and maul them to death. Then, to add insult to injury, they bone the mother ten ways till Sunday."

"...What happens is female cuckoos lay their eggs in some other birds' nest, where the little baby cuckoo, already born in full-asshole-mode, will try to get rid of the nest owners' real chicks and eggs by kicking them out of the nest, sending them plunging to their doom. That way, the nest owner will feed the intruding little psychopath instead of actually raising their own young."

"Besides also being among the smartest things on Earth, dolphins share another characteristic with humans: they're the only other animal that will kill for fun.

Back in the late nineties, marine biologists began to find lots of porpoise carcasses that had seemingly been punched in the gut until they died. After rounding up the suspects, putting them in the line up, the porpoise widow pointed at the guilty party: asshole bottle-nose dolphins.

Porpoises don't attack dolphins. They don't even eat the same food, so they can't be fighting because they hog all the good fish. And the fight is not for territory, since porpoises are't just chased away but actually stalked and then killed.

There are only two explanations left: either "Because dolphins think killing is freaking hilarious" or because "Dolphins kill porpoises as training for when they have to kill baby dolphins."

It turns out porpoises aren't the only animals turning up floating in the sea after meeting dolphins; the other ones being baby dolphins themselves. Some marine biologists believe adult dolphins kill babies for the same reasons lions do, to bang dolphin moms, except that there are reports of female dolphins also killing dolphin babies, which either destroys the theory or makes it much, much sexier.

To make matters sound even worse, dolphins use their sonar to pinpoint their victims' vital organs so that they can cause the most damage when they hit them."

"Being almost people, it's no surprise chimps regularly kill other chimps for territory and natural resources, with entire chimp tribes going at it. But to make it onto this list, they had to do something that goes beyond regular animal savagery and right into horror movie stuff. The horror movie in question is of course Italian classic, Cannibal Holocaust.

"Chimps, you see, have a tendency to suddenly grab a baby chimp from its mother's arms and chow down, sharing the meal with the entire group. Well, except for the mom, who presumably prefers to stay in a corner screaming: "Holy shit! Holy shit!"

It's even freakier when you find out that chimps normally are not all that much into eating meat."

"A pack of dogs has killed about 100 animals in the past three months in northeastern Washington state while eluding law enforcement and volunteers. ... Authorities are warning residents to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their families and animals because the dogs appear to be killing for fun rather than food. No humans have been attacked, but officers fear that could happen."

JBArk

JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Elpo
#51 Posted : 8/1/2013 5:46:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@JBArk

Don't you think that humans just go a bit further than the examples you have stated? Humans do everything on a much larger scale eg. mass production of animals. The way we waste on such a huge scale is something to worry about. In the natural cycles you talk about nothing actually gets wasted. The corpses which are left over are used by other organisms and fully recycled. Humans have not yet arrived at this point.

Plus I think that humans have the possibility to choose otherwise unlike any other animal which gives us more responsibility towards our actions.

If we truly want to go ahead into space like Jamie stated (what I find a truly beautiful idea) I think we have a long way to go. First of all we have to get rid of the monster called economy on which nowadays everything is based on together with it's good friend greed.

On this topic I suggest the documentary "I AM Tom Shadyac".
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

jbark
#52 Posted : 8/1/2013 8:03:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elpo wrote:
@JBArk

Don't you think that humans just go a bit further than the examples you have stated? Humans do everything on a much larger scale eg. mass production of animals. The way we waste on such a huge scale is something to worry about.

Perhaps, but i was reacting to a statement by No KNowing that affirmed unequivocally that "Plants and animals take what they need to survive and stop when their desires are fulfilled" and "Animals only kill for food or in defense of territory." Both statements are false. Had he worded it as you have, I would not have called him on it.

"In the natural cycles you talk about nothing actually gets wasted. The corpses which are left over are used by other organisms and fully recycled. Humans have not yet arrived at this point."

And what waste specifically that humans make are not used by organisms and fully recycled? Maybe uranium, but the rest, more or less, is recycled over time. It's just that what we produce and the amount of it creates an unsustainably long recycle "cycle" - generations and generations, if not thousands of years. No argument there.

Cheers,

JBArk

PS - that list was a 3 min search on google. There were many other examples, but I think I already listed too many to underline my point. Smile
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

No Knowing
#53 Posted : 8/1/2013 8:21:51 PM

fool adept

touche JBark....I had not heard of many of those examples. Sorry for my airy-fairy new age statement.

But, I think we can all agree that humans take this to a NEW level that is dangerous for entire eco-systems and the planet as a whole. This level is not really achievable by any other animal.

I agree that the earth would probably recover over time, as long as single-celled life remained, evolution would build back up to complex or even intelligent life.

Though, surely, millions of years of Nuclear winter or planetwide toxemia, with the only life being within rock or near vents at the bottom of the ocean would be boring.
In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended.-J.C. Lilly
The Spice must flow

jbark
#54 Posted : 8/2/2013 11:34:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No Knowing wrote:
touche JBark....I had not heard of many of those examples. Sorry for my airy-fairy new age statement.

No airy-fairiness or new ageism there. Smile

Just fact checking for you. Nature encompasses us, and is far more brutal and senseless and barbaric than many like to admit - though I am quick to admit rarely on the scale of humanity. Except perhaps in the case of viruses. Or bacteria. Or insects. Or small rodents...

Unless you believe in a grand plan.

ENTER RELIGION.

Smile

JBArk

adam
#55 Posted : 8/3/2013 12:05:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=jbark][quote=Elpo]@JBArk

And what waste specifically that humans make are not used by organisms and fully recycled? Maybe uranium, but the rest, more or less, is recycled over time. It's just that what we produce and the amount of it creates an unsustainably long recycle "cycle" - generations and generations, if not thousands of years. No argument there.

actually some organism eat radiation, maybe not uranium directly but still feed on radiation

radioation feeders

jbark
#56 Posted : 8/3/2013 12:48:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

adam wrote:

actually some organism eat radiation, maybe not uranium directly but still feed on radiation

radioation feeders

My benefit of the doubt stands corrected. I did not know that. So one day there will be NO trace of us here. Just a bad dream, all of it. Smile

JBArk

No Knowing
#57 Posted : 8/3/2013 12:57:20 AM

fool adept

@JBark and the rest of you all. This conversation has really freed up some thinking of mine.

One thing I have been mulling over lately: Is thinking humanity will live infinitely into the future just as naive as thinking that our own personal ego will live forever?

As individuals we have to die, so why wouldn't the human race, culture, society die at some point?

Or maybe we are destined to evolve into infinite hyperspace, I could see it going either way

Something to think about.
The Spice must flow

jbark
#58 Posted : 8/3/2013 12:59:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No Knowing wrote:
@JBark and the rest of you all. This conversation has really freed up some thinking of mine.

One thing I have been mulling over lately: Is thinking humanity will live infinitely into the future just as naive as thinking that our own personal ego will live forever?

As individuals we have to die, so why wouldn't the human race, culture, society die at some point?

Or maybe we are destined to evolve into infinite hyperspace, I could see it going either way

Something to think about.

Depends what you consider YOU are, and what you consider WE are.

hixidom
#59 Posted : 8/16/2013 2:19:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
God: What do you need money for?
Man: Food.
God: Just eat the shit I left for you on the floor!

PREV123