We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
hash from d-limonene? Options

SnozzleBerry
#21 Posted : 1/20/2010 7:44:18 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

technically, there should be no residues left by Naptha or Butane. I've had and seen nothing but good experiences with either of these methods. IMO, the only factor in picking which to use should be amount of material from which you are extracting.

Can't comment on acetone, as I've never done it. And I don't care what anyone says about what should happen, IPA is at the very least funky to work with for hash oil and generally a major PITA. After trying IPA twice I never did it again. Honestly, at a time before I really got into extractions and the like and had already decided I was through with IPA, I only made butter due to my IPA experiences. Then I got into extraction and Butane and Naptha seemed a whole lot less scary.

There shouldn't be much if any residue left from Limonene, I haven't done this with a large enough batch to say anything conclusively...I believe it should be possible to avoid D-Limo residue. My new Limonene should be here on Friday, barring firther delays from green terpene, and I have several oz of trim I've been saving to play around with this.

Hey redeyes, you didn't use any heat did you? I know butane doesn't require any, Naptha does for best extraction. Would heat do anything for D-Limo? I didn't last time, but i didnt care as the amount was negligible and I'd like to do this with maximum efficiency.

peace
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

redeyesmj
#22 Posted : 1/20/2010 7:52:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I did not use any heat, I have some stime i was going to experiment with when i get some cash around to buy more lemonene.

Phlux-
#23 Posted : 1/20/2010 10:00:31 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

dlimo never evapped cleanly when i tried this - smoking dlimo residue was horrible - it smells nice but smokes horribly.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Touche Guevara
#24 Posted : 1/20/2010 10:43:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Someone want to do a "mirror test" with limonene?

SnozzleBerry
#25 Posted : 2/9/2010 7:20:38 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Touche, I don't understand, isn't a mirror test for self awareness?

Phlux- wrote:
dlimo never evapped cleanly when i tried this - smoking dlimo residue was horrible - it smells nice but smokes horribly.

I didn't get a clean evap, all the way either, but i tried it early in the process and it was horrible, then i achieved tolerable, and finally brought it down to a funky/mentholated sensation and minimal poor taste/harshness.

Ok, so I know I've been away for a moment, but things in my personal/work life have been a little hectic as of late. Anyways, I've been playing around with d-limo hash oil and mescaline recently and have had success with both.

The hash oil that i currently have is thick, like lard or thick thick grease. It does not move around the jar it's in and has the consistency of taffy when scraped up. It smells very faintly of oranges/d-limo and smokes pretty well. I would say that there is the slightest hint of orange aroma and a faint tingle in the throat...perhaps akin to mentholated cigarettes? I'm not a cig smoker, but have a roommate who only smokes menthols, and on the one or two drunken occasions where I bummed one from him, that is the closest sensation. The high is phenomenal, long lasting and thoroughly stoney feeling. I also made this oil with trim from some homegrown that turned out quite nice.

Here's what I did:

Soaked material in d-limo for three or four days, I can't remember, it may have been 5, my memories of the past three weeks all blend together

filtered limonene through coffee filter into small mason jar

placed mason jar in open pressure cooker and boiled water in the pressure cooker to boil the hash-oil solution and evaporate the d-limo (personally, i think a metal cup would have been preferable as I couldn't really get the solvent as hot as I would have liked in the pressure cooker)

When the solution was significantly reduced, I added some water (less than a teaspoon, unquestionalby) mostly for shits and giggles. With naptha hash, because naptha has a lower boiling point than water, you can add some water to free up the naptha to evaporate, however D-limo has (i believe) a significantly higher boiling point than water, so it really shouldn't have done anything, but hey, i figured what the hell, no skin off my back.

The solution was reduced to the point at which it was a thick, viscous dark green liquid and removed from the pressure cooker.

After removal from pressure cooker, it still smelled a little stronger than i would have liked, so i put the mason jar on a small coffe-pot style heating element and scraped/mixed the oil around until the smell became significantly less intense, whereupon i smoked it with 2 roommates and got thoroughly stoned.

Some thoughts:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a manner by which to remove all the d-limo, due to its high boiling point...any suggestions?

In the event that all the d-limo can't be removed, this hash is superior to other hash oils only due to its non-toxic extraction. Its potency is on par with naptha/butane hash and it's unquestionably more time consuming.

To my mind, this method makes sense mainly for individuals who want to AVOID working with toxic solvents and DO NOT intend on smoking it. My rationale is that, for an individual looking to get the medicinal benefits of hash oil without having to use non-toxic solvents, this method allows for the extraction of a high-potency hash oil with food-grade solvents and the d-limo becomes (imo) irrelevant when taken orally (compared to mesc/pharma/aya and many more its taste is nothing in the low amount that is present). I'm not sure how it would fare on open sores/tumors a la Rick Simpson style, the limo might potentially burn or sting a bit, but again, I think that it would be a viable method of application if the extractor/patient had an aversion to toxic solvents being used in the extraction process.

I'm gonna see if I can't figure out something to reduce the limo% even more, hopefully eventually eliminating it...any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

peace,

SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

mapp
#26 Posted : 2/24/2010 11:46:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

MagikVenom wrote:

Try eating a couple of juicy MANGOS before your next medical cannabis doseWink
Vaporizer technology may improve the bioavailability of limonene and other compounds, which volatilize around the same temperature as THC

Terpenoidsand flavonoids may also increase cerebral blood flow, enhance corticalactivity, kill respiratory pathogens, and provide anti-inflammatory activity.

Mangoes do work for me. I'll slice one up an hour before i smoke. Smoke a bowl of schwag and it feels like I had just smoked a bowl of some potent skunk.

Eating a mango about 2 hours in and it feels like it brings the effects right back. VERY NOTICEABLE

Mycrene FTW Smile

Peace
MV

Cool Cool. I picked up some "Mango culinary essence" from a local Indian shop.
I'm thinking hopefully drinking a few drops of it in water can be used for the same potentiation as ripe mangos.
Anyone think so? Or would it be more effective dropped on top the leaves then smoked?

http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31074 wrote:
some Terpenoids like Limonene make the subjective high much faster in onset and much stronger, with rushes, more clear, speedy, up, cerebral, euphoric, psychedelic. While other Terpenoids like Myrcene make the THC physical, mellow, sleepy, as well as stronger.

I'm wondering if I can add actual orange oil/food grade d-limonene drops to buds and smoke, or drink a few drops of this for synergistic effects with THC?
I have d-limo, and although its food-safe, for some reason I never thought ingesting a couple drops would be okay..

Also, on the mango essence, the ingredients simply say: "propylene glycole, natural and nature identical flavouring substances, form form spirit."
...I hope that just means "concentrated mango juice."

What do you guys think about using this mango essence and/or actual limonene-drops with cannabis?

SnozzleBerry
#27 Posted : 2/25/2010 12:52:04 AM

omnia sunt communia!

I think you should read phlux-'s and my posts in this thread as we both commented on smoking residual d-limonene that was in our hash oil (i gave a rather long-winded opinion in the "some thoughts" section of the post that was literally right before yours). I think you shouldn't do it, it's a waste of bud and there's no evidence (or at least I haven't seen any) that smoked terpinoids from limonene will potentiate your cannabis high.

SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

mapp
#28 Posted : 2/25/2010 1:43:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
I think you should read phlux-'s and my posts in this thread as we both commented on smoking residual d-limonene that was in our hash oil (i gave a rather long-winded opinion in the "some thoughts" section of the post that was literally right before yours). I think you shouldn't do it, it's a waste of bud and there's no evidence (or at least I haven't seen any) that smoked terpinoids from limonene will potentiate your cannabis high.

SB

Ah, I should have caught those posts before bringing it up.. I initially saw this thread from searching "mango" and kind of spaced on page 2 before making my reply.

The same author as the previous quote I used:
http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=245165&postcount=32 wrote:
I did the work with a volcano, using liquid pads for putting the Cannabinoids/Terpenoids on, and used Cannabinoids that were 99%+ purity.
I tried pure THC, THCV, CBD, CBN, CBG, and CBC will be next, I have gram+ amounts of each. I have also tried a dozen pure Terpenoids with and without Cannabinoids. But besides the effects from THC and very occasional small amounts of CBD found in herbal Cannabis, all of the different reported subjective effects are in fact from the Terpenoids/THC.

I reckon I'm confused on terpinoids in general then.. Didn't mean to go off topic from hash from d-limo however, as the (mango) potentiation really caught my eye.

Anyway, I'm still curious about this "mango culinary essence" with cannabis, I think I'll try some drops/varying amounts before/during my next meetings with MJ and report back Pleased

ismokecrystals
#29 Posted : 3/11/2010 4:50:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would like to report my findings using d-limo on some beasters.
This will be done in comparison to my QWISO done on the same bud
Smell: no noticeable smell of oranges
Taste: cannot be done definitively (i smoke with bud as well) but not bad at all
Consistency: slightly softer than the QWISO, the QWISO oil is slightly more "tacky"
High: same as QWISO, possibly slightly stronger
Ease: Same as QWISO
Quality: BETTER! Less chlorophyll!

Both extractions were done as follows:
1. Put bud in jar, add solvent and shake for 1-2 min
2. aspirate solvent and dry under dehumidifier
3. decarboxylate hashoil in oven @250F for 1-1.5 hrs
4. scrape and smoke!

d-limo hashoil has a higher burning point than the QWISO but other than that I have noticed no difference.

I will do a second wash on the bud to determine how well the d-limo picks up chlorophyll. If d-limo picks up more Cannabinoids faster than ISO/Acetone/Naptha it would be better to use, however as it is, I see no reason to use this expensive solvent.

Also, my d-limo evaporates cleanly under heat

ismokecrystals
#30 Posted : 3/11/2010 5:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On second thought...

I just packed a bowl with minimal weed and a lot of oil.

It seems reminiscent of hitting a bong that has residual d-limo in it. It is slightly harsh, acidic but not too unpleasant; similar to taking a HUGE hit of weed. I feel pretty stoned right now. I feel like the d-limo adds a different high, a body high that is in my upper chest area towards the throat, maybe lungs too. Increased mucus in the throat but I did wake up congested today so that may not be related.

I think I prefer my QWISO, but this extra high from the d-limo oil is nice. I am, however, concerned about how this stuff will hit by itself or with less smoke-cooling action. With my current bong, an 18" Tsunami I usually experience NO harshness regardless of the size of a hit. I can clear a gram of nug with my current bowl, in one hit, without a single cough. The hit from the d-limo oil/bud seemed oddly harsh, I was unable to take the size hit I wished. I assume this to be from d-limo contamination, maybe I can clean it with another solvent.

Touche Guevara
#31 Posted : 3/11/2010 5:45:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe try vaping some of the limoil by itself?

I wonder how adding a few drops of limonene to some QWISO would work. Or after extracting with ice-cold limonene and evapping, re-dissolve in acetone to help evap any residual limonene.

SnozzleBerry
#32 Posted : 3/11/2010 5:59:11 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Hmmmm, ismokecrystals, i'm no chemist...but it seems like decarboxylating @250F is gonna leave you with the same stuff I got, as the BP of d-limo is 349F. It's not a "bad" product but nothing great, compared to butane/naptha hash. I'll take my d-limo hash and pop it in the oven for an hour or two when i get home and let you know what I find as far as whether or not it eliminates the faint orangey scent...

I dunno about cleaning with another solvent either, it ruins the food-safe/non-toxic aspect (so yea, it may work, but i'm still trying for an alternative). If my life continues to progress in the manner I've been going I should be getting a sublimator at some point this summer and will attempt to achieve a food-safe hash-oil extract with it.

Keep up the good work and lemme know what you find!

peace
SB
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

ismokecrystals
#33 Posted : 3/12/2010 2:18:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah right now the only useful reason to use d-limo for hash oil making is to use a non-toxic solvent. However, that extra burn almost makes it not worth it; I will report back when I get my HMK oil vaporizer.

SnozzleBerry
#34 Posted : 3/12/2010 3:25:13 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Extra burn...yea well said. It's pretty decent for an oral product or maybe as a topical salve (having no open sores or tumors, I haven't been able to test that Wink thank god). I ate a little pellet of my extract and had an experience comparable to low-intensity brownies, I see no reason why eating more wouldn't be akin to eating more potent brownies or cannabutter.

I've heard good things about the HMK, I'd love to hear your take on it aside from d-limo hash oil when you get it. I'm always looking to expand my glass collection with unique pieces.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Touche Guevara
#35 Posted : 3/12/2010 4:12:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ismokecrystals wrote:
Yeah right now the only useful reason to use d-limo for hash oil making is to use a non-toxic solvent. However, that extra burn almost makes it not worth it; I will report back when I get my HMK oil vaporizer.

Jealous!

PREV12