We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Shulgin is in trouble and could use our help Options

obliguhl
#21 Posted : 3/3/2013 11:14:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Keep in mind, that Ann Shulgin is also going to need help. I wish vendors of herbs and glassware would decide to donate 1% of their profits to help those who need it within the community.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Keeper Trout
#22 Posted : 3/3/2013 3:12:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

Hixidom:
hixidom wrote:
Quote:

I was just thinking something along those same lines. How much of the book profits go directly to them, I will never know.

Both of those books are published by Transform Press. Transform Press IS Sasha, Ann & Wendy (Ann's daughter). They are the only ones who lose when book sales don't occur.

spinCycle
#23 Posted : 3/3/2013 4:12:25 PM

Life is Art is Life

Keeper Trout wrote:
Hixidom:
hixidom wrote:
Quote:

I was just thinking something along those same lines. How much of the book profits go directly to them, I will never know.

Both of those books are published by Transform Press. Transform Press IS Sasha, Ann & Wendy (Ann's daughter). They are the only ones who lose when book sales don't occur.

However, a book purchase would only deliver whatever $s are left over after production, distribution and profit for the retailer are subtracted. The same $25 donated directly would put more spendable $s into the Shulgins pockets I think.

My thoughts, if you want the books (and they are worthwhile... I will never be able to fathom the chemistry involved, much less actually perform it, but the trip reports alone are worth reading) buy them or pirate the electronic versions, whichever makes most sense to how you read, but a direct donation is probably more helpful to the Shulgins than a purchase. If you do pirate them, send them the purchase price as a donation.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

۩
#24 Posted : 3/4/2013 5:46:12 AM

That's a really heartfelt and touching letter written by TeaFaeri and I applaud her effort to reach to the broader audience of our scattered community. The least we can do is make it rain for the pioneers who helped pave the pathways to possibilities that have benefited us all and will benefit those to come.

Khronos
#25 Posted : 3/4/2013 6:59:19 AM

\m/

Thanks for raising awareness about this. Donation made.

The western approach to caring for our elders is tragic. So many souls, lost and alone in depressing institutions or forced into financial struggles like the wonderful Shulgins. It breaks my heart. Crying or very sad
Your pain is the pain of the world.
Heal yourself, heal the world.
Heal the world, heal yourself.

Pup Tentacle
#26 Posted : 3/4/2013 4:47:12 PM

lettuce

BUMP

People like Sasha & Ann have helped to make this rock a better place for ALL of us - trippers or no. Even a few dollars helps.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

pinkoyd
#27 Posted : 3/5/2013 2:37:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

I donated back when they were facing their legal problems with the DEA and I'm happy to say I'm in a better position now to make a bigger donation. (DONE!Very happy ) Will be donating more in the future. Heck, I'd do it even if the only things Sasha ever did were rediscover MDMA and invent 2C-B!

It's more efficient though, to make a check-via-snail-mail donation than doing Paypal. Paypal takes a pretty big chunk for the transaction. Ask me how I know...

Also Sacred Succulents (or Botanical Preservation Corps, can't remember which ATM) is the only place I know of that offers the slip-cased, hardback versions of Pihkal and Tihkal for $100 each. They're running a special right now, both for $185. Might want to check out Transform Press itself to see if they offer it directly.

Edit to say: Those hardcover versions are limited editions and SIGNED by Sasha and Ann.
I already asked Alice.

Dr_Sister
#28 Posted : 3/5/2013 5:12:26 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

Hats off to you Nexians - Sister posted this plea on several boards and nowhere has the response been more heartfelt or heartwarming than here, go team!

Aegle
#29 Posted : 3/6/2013 7:29:13 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Dr_Sister

Such a sad state of affairs indeed, thank you so very much for this thread. The Shulgins are truly one of the loveliest couples. I will be eternally grateful for their remarkable contribution to society, also Thikal and Phikal are invaluable resources. I have resolved and desolved many barriers and peeled back countless layers of the onion with MDMA, there aren't words that could come close to expressing my appreciation that Sasha unearthed this incredible entheogen.

I really hope that their financial situation stabilizes... ♥

Much Peace and Kindness
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

SKA
#30 Posted : 3/7/2013 11:13:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Unfortunately I too am having trouble making ends meet. But as soon as I have some extra money to
spend again I will buy more of Shulgin's books. I've heard that after TIHKAL & PIHKAL there were 2
other books released: The Shulgin Index. 1 for Tryptamines & 1 for Phenethylamines.

That should be of some help to them. I'll try and convince as many entheogen people loving people
as possible to do the same. I would even recommend TIHKAL & PIHKAL to psychologists & psychiatrists.
It could both help the Shulgin's make ends meet & educate Psychiatrists & Psychologists to have a
more open, intuitive & shaman-like view of the human mind and the use of psychedelic drugs to heal/guide it.
2 birds with 1 stone.

On the other foot, we could try and find some very wealthy people with a fondness for Psychedelics & their
applications. Surely there are plenty of well-rich people who value psychedelics & see their potential for
psychological healing, personal growth and artistic & scientific inspiration. Perhaps persuade them to chip
in?

Ufostrahlen
#31 Posted : 3/8/2013 6:50:35 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Bump

I've donated. Have you? Even $10 will help, because it all adds up.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Pistolsdrummer
#32 Posted : 3/8/2013 11:07:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm jobless and trying to start a business and have less than $2000 to my name, but $20 isn't gonna hurt me...
Everything I say on this site is a fictitious story thought up while dreaming. But damn if those dreams are not fun!

Make a friend of your fear, it is there to show you something. Accept the message it delivers and integrate it within you as a part of you.

Jerzeecanuck
#33 Posted : 3/9/2013 7:04:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It would be awesome if they had a bitcoin address. Donations would be easier and ANONYMOUS.

Thumbs up
"In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Lichen
#34 Posted : 3/9/2013 2:51:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm doing monthly donations of $20 a month - it's not that much, it's only an hours wage - but it all adds up! Everyone please get on board this, lets show the world how much this man has helped us all.
I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

Nils
#35 Posted : 3/10/2013 4:06:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've never actually been a beneficiary of Shulgin's research, but had enough in the bank to throw a few dollars his way. Teafarie's talk about taking care of our elders had an effect on me. Not to mention that one day I'd like to take advantage of his work.

InMotion
#36 Posted : 3/10/2013 9:23:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Does anyone know if there is a way to send cash anonymously?

Red Eclipse
#37 Posted : 3/10/2013 9:45:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

InMotion wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to send cash anonymously?

Quote:
Alternatively, donate via snail mail to:

Sasha Shulgin, c/o Transform Press
PO Box 13675 . Berkeley, CA . 94712

via hXXp://www.shulginresearch.org/home/donate/

InMotion
#38 Posted : 3/10/2013 10:12:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Thank you!

Hybridoma
#39 Posted : 3/11/2013 4:27:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The generosity and kindness of each of you wanting to help is just fantastic. You will be happy to know that recent land sales have immensely helped their situation and they are going to be fine. They get regular visitors who look after their well-being and have provided for them in wonderful ways. The community looks out for and supports its own. Namaste.

Ford Prefect
#40 Posted : 3/11/2013 5:34:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout wrote:
Something to bear in mind is that Sasha is old and in his final years of life. His costs of living and supportive care are going to keep going up as long as his heart is still beating.

~Harsh... Crying or very sad Something else to "bare" in mind is that his family may need support after his passing.

I don't want my kid to bear my end of/after life expenses. If I ever earn Shulgins' level of cosmic-karma I'd hope and pray my family would be taken care of by the collective.

-Not to mention Sasha wouldn't have achieved near what he did without Ann's support. Don't you think we owe her a nod too.
Earth: Mostly Harmless... Dont Panic!

PREV1234NEXT