We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
The DMT Book: Call For Papers Options

SnozzleBerry
#21 Posted : 2/22/2013 1:10:18 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Just a few points...

some one wrote:
If the goal is simply to give out as much information as possible, I believe there is a flip side. Putting everything out in the open makes it very accessible to the masses. There is a danger to that...If you have a document in which everything is written, then everyone can make it and use it without having had any guidance. This can create problems.

You do realize you're posting this on the DMT-Nexus, yes?

some one wrote:
First of all, mass use could be disrespectful to the plant. Check youtube: people on salvia. A big hype at one point. Teens having fun filming themselfs on salvia. No guidance, no rituals, no passed on tone of respect...Second of all it could be dangerous for the people (using it irresponsibly, while driving, outside on busy streets, etc).

I'm not sure I see the connection between an anthology on DMT and irresponsible youtube videos, DMT DUI, or other irresponsible use.

some one wrote:
Last but by far definitely not least, irresponsible use (which is bound to happen without passed on guidance)

Again, not sure what this has to do with this anthology, specifically.

some one wrote:
will give the authorities more reason to justify banning it. Just like they banned mushrooms in the Netherlands because one tourist died by jumping in a river. The use of LSD in the early 60's started out by a select few in closed circles of highly educated individuals, such as psychiatrists...This gave the authorities reason to ban it. And ones they did, all psychedelics got a bad reputation.

First of all, DMT is already illegal, so no worries, nothing we can do will get it banned, that's already happened Smile

Second, I will dispute your claims as to why the "authorities" banned it and why drugs in general are criminalized. You must understand, the drug war is not based in fact, it's not based in logic, and it's not based in reason. The drug war exists out of a desire for control of the population and because it's profitable. You can speculate on a million reasons why this or that substance was criminalized but ultimately, it boils down to control, profit, and racism (mustn't forget the racism).

See, creating a "criminal element" of society through laws makes certain communities vulnerable. When you can destabilize communities through socio-economic means and then make their options legally vulnerable, it gives you a great amount of control over these "surplus" populations. Of course, with that sort of control and the perceived legitimacy of the legal system, you can stock prisons and manufacture all sorts of wonderful stuff using slave labor, then turn around and outcompete companies who use a less enslaved labor force. So let's not simplify the issues of criminality related to drugs when they clearly tap into many of the systemic failings of capitalism.

some one wrote:
If you watch his documentary you will get a big appreciation and a lot of respect for the compound.

I would suggest that numerous experiences with DMT over the past however many years have given me far more appreciation and respect for the molecule than any documentary ever could.

some one wrote:
dmt will reach the masses...people will get hurt...authorities will have extra reason to ban it...psychedelics will have a worse reputation

1) DMT has reached the masses...TSM is one of the top movies on Netflix
2) The potential for harm from this book is no greater than that created by the Nexus (and is honestly probably less)
3) DMT is already banned, it can't get more banned
4) The potential for truly shifting overall public opinion through this book is minuscule. Let's be realistic. It's an important book, but neocons are not going to be persuaded by anything in it.

I've always thought your methods of administration post was a wonderful compilation of the available information. If you would like to contribute it to the anthology, please send an email to thedmtbook /at/ gmail.com. It makes it significantly easier to keep track of. Wink
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

some one
#22 Posted : 2/22/2013 5:51:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not going to argue your points my friend. You seem to know your stuff. I only wanted to emphasize the importance of creating a context and feel to the book which educates the reader with additional knowledge and respect. I am aware my arguments are bold. One again, sorry about that. Hope you can see the point I tried to make in a big picture.

And yes, sure thing, ones I get the text updated, I will email it. Love to contribute. Is there a deadline for that?
some = one | here = some | there = one

SnozzleBerry
#23 Posted : 2/22/2013 6:02:45 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

No worries, I understand why you're concerned. Set and setting apply to more than just trips Smile

As to the dealines:
Priority deadline: APRIL 21, 2013
Final deadline: MAY 15, 2013
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Shaolin
#24 Posted : 2/26/2013 7:59:21 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Could this be author ? Cyb found it his pocket.
Shaolin attached the following image(s):
N.jpg (58kb) downloaded 545 time(s).
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

some one
#25 Posted : 3/8/2013 12:15:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
No worries, I understand why you're concerned. Set and setting apply to more than just trips Smile

I'm glad you say you understand. But I've been thinking over my concern, including the post I wrote and your reaction. And I think I might have formulated my message in a way which led you to not fully understand certain aspects of what I wanted to say. May I elaborate on that?

By the way, I'm still curious as to what made you guys decide to compile a book? Smile

Cheers

SnozzleBerry
#26 Posted : 3/8/2013 1:03:29 PM

omnia sunt communia!

some one wrote:
...I think I might have formulated my message in a way which led you to not fully understand certain aspects of what I wanted to say. May I elaborate on that?

You are an autonomous, sentient being...my permission is hardly relevant Wink

some one wrote:
By the way, I'm still curious as to what made you guys decide to compile a book?

I don't really understand the question. There is a dearth of publications on DMT. Knowledge > Ignorance, thus book Smile
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

some one
#27 Posted : 3/28/2013 5:37:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok well, I'll try to illustrate what I mean by using Salvia and LSD as an example Smile

Salvia is a class 1 schedule drug in the states now. Not to make a cheap prison work force out of Salvia users I think. Neither to protect public health. The plant is harmless: non toxic and non addictive. I think it's not even about stopping people gaining power by making money distributing substances outside the regulated system (of taxes). Salvia has too few users for that and again is not addictive. So what is the reason for this harmless plant to now be on a list next to heroin and crack?

Established powers seem to be putting a lot of effort in stopping the public use of psychedelic substances. They have effectively done this in the past and will continue to try in the future. Why ban natural substances in the first place? Polluting the public domain with fear and propaganda, giving plants and their users a bad reputation? I won't attempt to answer this. But one thing is for sure: anyone experienced with psychedelics knows that the official reasons governments give to ban them can't be the real issue of the matter.

Personally I think it would be good thing if a bigger portion of people experiences DMT. In a respectful manner, with the right mentality, passed on from one to the next, according to traditional ways, or through newly developed mindsets. Maybe the spread of inspiration that could follow would even be a catalyst for change in society. A new wave of inspiration first expressed through art and music. It could take mainstream spirituality to an other level. Make us rethink the cosmos and ourselves. Whether this would actually happened is uncertain. But the possibility of it happening exists. This holds hope. Therefore I believe aiding the spread the DMT in a safe and respectful manner, be it gradual and limited to those ready - may their number grow, is a good thing. I myself feel good about contributing and aiding the spread of the DMT experience by sharing knowledge and showing people how.

However, there is a flip-side to the growing popularity of DMT. A risk arises if its use increases too rapidly too fast. A Amazonian tribal jungle women interviewed in a documentary about DMT was outraged at the thought of global recreational use of DMT. She must have her reasons and I for one share her feelings. An other complication that arises is the following. People being people will do silly things under influence of DMT. The media being the media will dramatize these events. The government being the government will ban and criminalize the use of associated plants and impose propaganda schemes to indoctrinate the masses against it before sufficient time passes for an unbiased public opinion to form. Society being society will not accept anything to do with DMT anymore. No funding for scientific research, no legal medical use, eg. psychological therapies, curing addictions, helping cancer patients accept their fate, etc. DMT users will be looked down upon and placed in the category messed up dope heads.

This is not a paranoid doom scenario in my head. It's what happened to LSD in the 60's, also explained in TSM. First LSD was only used in closed circles of elite society. All of a sudden it rapidly became the mainstream hippie drug of choice. Without traditions and/or rituals, its users were lost and they acted accordingly. When sufficient cases of undesired behavior presented themselves, the government banned LSD as it "caused psychoses" and "made people jump off a buildings". Some believe in a link between people promoting LSD and the CIA. Whether the government actually aided the fast spread of LSD is uncertain and won't be discussed here. But the fact is that it was the rapid uncontrolled spread of LSD use which eventually gave the government sufficient reason to ban it followed by a global disrespect for psychedelics.

DMT use is increasing and the spread can't be stopped. We can't control the media, authorities and government. But we are not powerless. Especially not grouped together armed with info as we are here. What we could do is to educate the public about the plants, their compounds and how to properly use them. To form a public opinion about DMT and it's use before the media / government indoctrinates the public based on a couple of examples of stupidity / people with mental illnesses. This is where your book comes in.

From what I make of it, the book will describe what DMT is, how to make it and how to administer it. It will be written in an accessible level aimed at the general public. This is a big difference from scientific papers on DMT so far. Whether the book will actually have a significant impact is uncertain. However, the possibility of it having an impact exists. This holds a responsibility. Especially during this specific time. We are at a point where DMT is entering mainstream consciousness. From when almost no one knows of its existence, to where most people will have heard of it.

In this crucial stage more people are getting introduced to DMT without prior knowledge of its use and effect. As the 60's showed with LSD, the absence of traditions and/or rituals can cause problems. Supplying the government / media with cases to influence the public against it, before an unbiased public opinion has time to form. Personally I think the dudes in the hippie bus traveling through the States in the 60's distributing free LSD for all to try thought they were doing a good deed. Little did they know that they were actually aiding the uncontrolled spread, which gave reason to ban the substance they tried to promote in the first place, and creating a global disrespect against it.

About the book.. What effect could it have if it does manage to reach its fullest potential (say: if it becomes as popular as TSM). Will it just inform everyone how to make and use DMT? Creating a increase in DMT availability and users? Or will it aid in educating the public about something more, as TSM did and succeeded in my opinion. Helping the fight against the propaganda war. Telling the story from the other side. DMT is very powerful and most respect will be learned from the experience itself. But first of all, the bigger the increase in users without understanding, the more cases of irresponsible use will occur. And second, its not only about the people who use it, its also about the people who don't, these make up the majority of public opinion. Therefore education of knowledge and mindset is important, for all.

DMT as an isolated compound is banned. But you can still buy DMT containing plant material in shops (and e-shops) legally, with a receipt, included a VAT tax bill. Some people on Nexus express concern about DMT's growing popularity. They fear that they might not be able to buy plants in the future anymore. They might be right. Supply will be limited as global demand for plant material rises. Ones the government has sufficient cases of irresponsible use, they might ban high % DMT plants, disabling making homemade DMT. We might not be able to stop the government from banning DMT containing plants in the future. But we can help to contribute as much as we can, to aid in creating a positive public opinion. This is what matters most. Public opinion can bend back laws in a later stage. Marijuana is now legalized in some states. Public opinion can help to accept medical use for compounds illegal on the street. And if we're very lucky, a positive public opinion might even achieve aiding that the plants won't be banned in the first place, and we can keep on ordering them as we can now.

So my question is, have you guys thought of what you want to achieve with this book? Or is the goal simply to give out as much information as possible? If so, wouldn't it be a good idea as the popularity of DMT is growing, to also use this book as a tool to incorporate a layer of informative knowledge, educating the reader about in which mindset to use DMT and so forth? To shine our respect and opinion of the compound to the readers through the subtext of the book? Whether or not we succeed is uncertain. But the least we can do is try our best to walk the road we believe is right. When it comes to helping out the plants and our to be expended minds against the conservative control systems we live in, it sure wouldn't hurt to try.

Kookaburra
#28 Posted : 3/28/2013 5:54:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

some one wrote:
Salvia is a class 1 schedule drug in the states now.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum:

Wikipedia wrote:
National legislation for amendment of the Controlled Substances Act to place salvinorin A and Salvia divinorum in Schedule I at the federal level in the United States was proposed in 2002 by Representative Joe Baca (D- California). Those opposed to bill HR 5607 include Daniel Siebert, who sent a letter to Congress arguing against the proposed legislation, and the Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics (CCLE), who sent key members of the US Congress a report on Salvia divinorum and its active principle, along with letters from an array of scientists who expressed concern that scheduling Salvia divinorum would negatively impact important research on the plant. The bill did not pass.

Although salvia is not regulated under the Controlled Substances Act, some American states, including Alabama, Delaware, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio and others, have passed their own laws. Several other states have proposed legislation against salvia, including Alaska, California, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Texas. Many of these proposals have not made it into law, with motions having failed, stalled or otherwise died, for example at committee review stages.

Where individual state legislation does exist, it varies from state to state in its prohibitive degree.

some one wrote:
A Amazonian tribal jungle women interviewed in a documentary about DMT was outraged at the thought of global recreational use of DMT. She must have her reasons and I for one share her feelings.

Do you have any specific information about this documentary?

some one wrote:
From what I make of it, the book will describe what DMT is, how to make it and how to administer it.

It's a compendium, not a cookbook.
"The real secret of magic is that the world is made of words, and that if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish." - Terence McKenna

SnozzleBerry
#29 Posted : 3/28/2013 6:40:18 PM

omnia sunt communia!

some one wrote:
Personally I think it would be good thing if a bigger portion of people experiences DMT. In a respectful manner, with the right mentality, passed on from one to the next, according to traditional ways, or through newly developed mindsets.

Who determines what the "right mentality is?
Who determines what is "traditional," especially in societies that do not have "traditional" customs surrounding these plants/substances?
Who determines which "newly developed mindsets" are acceptable and which are not?

Quote:
A risk arises if its use increases too rapidly too fast.

Can you explicitly state what you are claiming here?

Quote:
A Amazonian tribal jungle women interviewed in a documentary about DMT was outraged at the thought of global recreational use of DMT.

What is the definition of recreational use? Discussions of this sort have gone on for many, many thread pages here. You can't make a claim using loaded terminology and claim that it is clear-cut, especially when you are talking about cross-cultural understandings of reality. I know many people here who approach DMT with the utmost respect, yet claim many of their experiences to be recreational. Is traditional, ritual use the only way to approach DMT or other entheogens? Certainly not, imo, but I would not be surprised if many indigenous ( or other) people disagreed with this viewpoint. That's understandable and acceptable; the multiplicity of cultures worldwide seems to present it as a logical circumstance.

Quote:
An other complication that arises is the following. People being people will do silly things under influence of DMT.

Imo, this is a prohibitionist argument. "People can't make choices and act rationally for themselves, therefore we need to arbitrate what knowledge is available to them."

Quote:
The media being the media will dramatize these events. The government being the government will ban and criminalize the use of associated plants and impose propaganda schemes to indoctrinate the masses against it before sufficient time passes for an unbiased public opinion to form. Society being society will not accept anything to do with DMT anymore. No funding for scientific research, no legal medical use, eg. psychological therapies, curing addictions, helping cancer patients accept their fate, etc. DMT users will be looked down upon and placed in the category messed up dope heads.

Imo, you're 40+ years too late on this. DMT is already illegal. Plant material containing DMT is already illegal (but frequently not enforced...except when it is). The media is already full of propaganda and the public opinion is already biased. Society generally does not accept anything having to do with DMT. The landscape of widely-accepted DMT research is already fairly treacherous. DMT users are currently viewed by society at large as little more than junkies, with extraction busts being equated to meth cooks.

Quote:
This is not a paranoid doom scenario in my head.

Agreed, it's the reality that we live in today.

Quote:
From what I make of it, the book will describe what DMT is, how to make it and how to administer it. It will be written in an accessible level aimed at the general public. This is a big difference from scientific papers on DMT so far.

I'm not clear on why you think the book will describe "how to make DMT," but that's not the case. Second, I don't see how that is any different than the Nexus, a point that I already brought up. Using your criteria, The Nexus poses infinitely more risk than any work we could produce. period. And yet, you are a member of this community, presumably without the objections you have raised to a book. Can you explain this apparent contradiction to me?

Quote:
Personally I think the dudes in the hippie bus traveling through the States in the 60's distributing free LSD for all to try thought they were doing a good deed.

Distributing substances and distributing knowledge are fundamentally different acts.

Quote:
Little did they know that they were actually aiding the uncontrolled spread, which gave reason to ban the substance they tried to promote in the first place, and creating a global disrespect against it.

The government will ALWAYS find a reason to criminalize that which it feels threatened by. This is a major function of the government. What is "criminal" is an ever-moving target, left to the government's discretion. The justification can always be tweaked. The original justification for criminalizing cocaine and marijuana were firmly rooted in racist fantasies.

Criminality is used to make communities vulnerable. This has been seen time and time again throughout human history. No matter what was done, entheogens would have been criminalized. They (and many of the people who use them) are fundamentally at odds with industrial consumer cultures and therefore present a threat to the fundamental structure of society as it currently stands. This is unacceptable, from a governmental standpoint, and therefore must be excised.

Quote:
DMT as an isolated compound is banned. But you can still buy DMT containing plant material in shops (and e-shops) legally...

Not true. The CSA explicitly states that if you know that any material contains DMT (or any other scheduled substance), that material is illegal for you to posses. See: On the Legal Status of DMT Source Plants in the US (with a discussion of the religious use defense)

Quote:
Some people on Nexus express concern about DMT's growing popularity. They fear that they might not be able to buy plants in the future anymore. They might be right. Supply will be limited as global demand for plant material rises.

This appears to be an argument for restricting availability to those "already in the know." As we were all, at some point, unaware of the existence of DMT, that seems rather flawed, to me.

Quote:
Ones the government has sufficient cases of irresponsible use, they might ban high % DMT plants, disabling making homemade DMT. We might not be able to stop the government from banning DMT containing plants in the future...And if we're very lucky, a positive public opinion might even achieve aiding that the plants won't be banned in the first place, and we can keep on ordering them as we can now.

Again, just to reiterate, it is already illegal to possess these plants if you know they contain DMT. Public opinion can't prevent these plants from being criminalized, as they are already criminalized. The government has and will continue to crack down when possible/easily executable, but there are too many plants and too many networks.

Honestly, you could probably make a decent argument that after government crackdowns, the only people who actually lose out on the ability to procure plants are the least knowledgeable/plugged-in to the entheogenic community. In theory, that would mean that only people with a greater level of understanding would have access to these plants/molecules...but let's be real.

There are far too many sources for DMT-containing plants to ever be banned out of existence. Australia was contemplating it at one point and was looking at criminalizing hundreds if not thousands of plants. Good luck with that! Prohibition is always a losing model...it can't be anything but.

Quote:
So my question is, have you guys thought of what you want to achieve with this book? Or is the goal simply to give out as much information as possible?

The goal is to disseminate information, that is what we aim to achieve. I don't understand the dichotomy you are presenting. The work will include numerous views/voices on a whole host of topics, spanning the width and breadth of DMT and the DMT experience.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

some one
#30 Posted : 4/7/2013 4:02:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Do you have any specific information about this documentary?

Youtube: "JungleTrip - Ayahuasca". I think it was this one, and somewhere near the end.

Quote:
Who determines what the "right mentality is? Who determines what is "traditional," especially in societies that do not have "traditional" customs surrounding these plants/substances? Who determines which "newly developed mindsets" are acceptable and which are not?

Indeed, there is no simple answer for this.

Quote:
Can you explicitly state what you are claiming here?

I'm claiming the same will happen as happened to LSD in the 60's.

Quote:
What is the definition of recreational use? Discussions of this sort have gone on for many, many thread pages here. You can't make a claim using loaded terminology and claim that it is clear-cut, especially when you are talking about cross-cultural understandings of reality. I know many people here who approach DMT with the utmost respect, yet claim many of their experiences to be recreational. Is traditional, ritual use the only way to approach DMT or other entheogens? Certainly not, imo, but I would not be surprised if many indigenous ( or other) people disagreed with this viewpoint. That's understandable and acceptable; the multiplicity of cultures worldwide seems to present it as a logical circumstance.

I've seen the discussions. I don't use it traditionally myself either. I think the key is intention. It's not why you use it and how, its the intention that matters. And a simple example how to pass this on could be: If I introduce DMT to friends and they want to try, I tell them that we must plan an entire evening to do it properly and they must be properly rested and fit and prepared for a very special, deep, life changing event.

Quote:
Imo, this is a prohibitionist argument. "People can't make choices and act rationally for themselves, therefore we need to arbitrate what knowledge is available to them."

I wish reality was different, but yes, I believe people need this.

Quote:
Imo, you're 40+ years too late on this. DMT is already illegal. Plant material containing DMT is already illegal (but frequently not enforced...except when it is). The media is already full of propaganda and the public opinion is already biased. Society generally does not accept anything having to do with DMT. The landscape of widely-accepted DMT research is already fairly treacherous. DMT users are currently viewed by society at large as little more than junkies, with extraction busts being equated to meth cooks.

Wiki: "In the USA, dried root bark of Mimosa had been considered a "grey area" item for a long time. However, recent efforts by the D.E.A. appear to be focusing on eliminating internet sales of the bark."

I can't disagree more with being 40 years too late. In my opinion the tipping point of DMT entering public awareness is now. Yes DMT entered Western society a while back. And if you've been using it since then, you will have seen a big increase in users and media publicity. But that's comparing it to none. What I see is that most people who have used or use psychedelics haven't tried DMT yet. DMT isn't nearly as popular as LSD or shrooms. Meaning, there is still room for growth. Much more growth than up to now.

Also, when we talk about public awareness, it's not only about the number of users. Its mainly about mainstream public opinion. Everyone has heard of LSD and XTC, everyone. But hardly anyone of the 'mainstream' population has heard of DMT yet. Let alone know what it is. Disagree? Go out on the street and ask 100 random people. I think if you do this experiment 40 year ago, 5 years ago, now, 5 years from now.. That the difference between how many people have heard of DMT 40 years ago and 5 years ago is much, much, smaller than the difference between 5 years ago and now. And even more people will have heard of it 5 years from now. There is no opinion of society at large of DMT yet as with Shrooms and LSD, as society at large hasn't heard of DMT yet. I believe we still have a window of time to get our opinion across to the masses before they are indoctrinated by the government / media.

Quote:
I'm not clear on why you think the book will describe "how to make DMT," but that's not the case. Second, I don't see how that is any different than the Nexus, a point that I already brought up. Using your criteria, The Nexus poses infinitely more risk than any work we could produce. period. And yet, you are a member of this community, presumably without the objections you have raised to a book. Can you explain this apparent contradiction to me?

I thought it described how to make it because I read 'DMT Extraction' in the topic lists. So it doesn't then, that good I guess, thanks for clearing that up. As for Nexus.. I disagree with the nexus posing infinitely more risk than a book. New users get lured in. First, because they have questions about teks and how to smoke. Then, they get involved in the community and are brought into contact with the views and opinions of others. Nexus creates a platform and brings people together. So much potential for positive influence through interaction and new understandings and achievements through collaboration. That's how I see Nexus. That's why I'm here.

Quote:
No matter what was done, entheogens would have been criminalized

That sounds like we can't do anything about it and there is no hope. I disagree.

Quote:
The CSA explicitly states that if you know that any material contains DMT (or any other scheduled substance), that material is illegal for you to posses.

Re phase: DMT as an isolated compound is banned. But you can still buy DMT containing plant material in e-shops legally, and in a couple of countries even legally in certain shops...

Quote:
Public opinion can't prevent these plants from being criminalized, as they are already criminalized.

I believe public opinion might be able to decriminalize them at a later stage, as is happening with Marijuana.

Quote:
There are far too many sources for DMT-containing plants to ever be banned out of existence. Australia was contemplating it at one point and was looking at criminalizing hundreds if not thousands of plants. Good luck with that! Prohibition is always a losing model...it can't be anything but.

Until they change the law from blacklisting stuff you can't use, to whitelisting stuff you can use (and criminalizing everything els). But that's an other story.

Quote:
I don't understand the dichotomy you are presenting.

I'm not attacking your book. I'm just saying, if your writing it anyway, why not incorporate a goal into the subtext, which helps to counter the psychedelics criminalization campaign we're up against?

some one
#31 Posted : 4/7/2013 4:18:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To be clear, I think the book is a good idea. I just wanted to make a point. Which is, what the effects of a rapid increase in DMT users can lead to, and how this book could be structured and used to aid this process in a sustainable way. If you understand the point i'm trying to make, you will see my intention is positive, I just care, that's all.

About Salvia, It seems I was misinformed that it was fully banned throughout the States. But thats beside the point. Let me try to illustrate my point with the following sources this time:

Legal status of Salvia divinorum
Quote:
In the United Kingdom, following a local newspaper story in October 2005, a parliamentary Early Day Motion was raised calling for Salvia divinorum to be banned there. However, it only received 11 signatures. Australia has imposed its strictest 'Schedule 9' (US Schedule I equivalent or equivalent to class A in the UK) classification for example, and Italy has also placed Salvia in its 'Table I' of controlled substances (also US Schedule I and class A equivalent). In the United States, Salvia is not regulated under the Controlled Substances Act but some states, including Delaware, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Virginia, and others, have passed their own laws.

Salvia: the Leaf and the Law
Quote:
In Delaware, Salvia divinorum is classified as a schedule 1 controlled substance. The statute was enacted by legislation entitled “Brett’s Law,” named for Brett Chidester, a 17-year-old high-school senior who committed suicide on January 23, 2006, months after trying Salvia divinorum. Salvia was also mentioned in Brett’s suicide note. In direct response to these events, Senate Bill 259 was introduced and passed into law. The herb Salvia divinorum itself is a schedule 1 drug in Delaware.

Chidesters death is the only suicide ever to be blamed on Salvia- and the role salvia played in Brett’s tragic decision is itself questionable. Salvinorin A was never found in his system after his death. Chidester’s parents have conceded that he may have suffered from depression, and he was taking medication that may have impaired his judgment.

Delaware State Senator Karen Peterson (D), who introduced the bill, said – “I, for one, don’t want to be driving down Route 1 next to someone who is having an out-of-body experience… I thought this is not something that I would want people using driving around the streets of Delaware.”

Despite a very limited knowledge amongst the public of salvia, its effects, its availability, and its addictive and toxic properties, lawmakers have been fast to condemn it. Unlike methamphetamines, crack, and heroin, one would be hard-pressed to find a salvia user who has thrown their life away in the face of addiction. Salvia users do not turn to crime to feed a habit. However, this has not stopped lawmakers from treating it as a dangerous, violent drug.

Too often, legislation created and introduced by state legislators is in direct response to a media report, which is often one-sided. In November 2006, after a story by news channel KSL was aired in Utah, warning its viewers about the “dangers of Salvia”, Utah State Representative Paul Ray (R) submitted a bill calling for its Schedule I classification in that state- the day after the broadcast. As he presented the bill Ray said, “It was upsetting to see we have a drug of that strength that’s legal.” and “We’re basically going to make it illegal to possess or sell. Period.” It is highly improbable that Ray and his staff did much research of Salvia on their own, considering the bill was written and introduced in less than twenty-four hours.

Georgia State Senator John Bulloch (R) saw a report on an Atlanta television news station about the increased use of Salvia divinorum. He was quoted as saying. “I hurriedly got legislative counsel to draft the bill… Everything that I read about it is it’s considered to be a hallucinogenic drug… A lot of the reading that I’ve found on it says that it gives a quicker and more intense high than LSD.”

Unfortunately for the recovery community, it is this type of reactionary behavior towards drugs (and herbs) by politicians that hinders progress. By automatically assuming the best, and sometimes only, way to deal with a drug is to ban it (and send anyone in possession of it to jail,) without first conducting the necessary research, policymakers are choosing to advance the stigma that goes along with drug use. The legislation being created that outlaws salvia makes no attempt to educate the public, especially its youth, about the possible dangers of the drug, if there are any. These laws do not call for the creation of programs that will prevent abuse. If salvia were as big a threat as some lawmakers make it out to be, and if these same lawmakers care so deeply about children, legislation funding prevention programs would make logical sense.

Brett's Law
Quote:
SAMHSA estimated for 2006 that about 1.8 million persons aged 12 or older had used Salvia divinorum in their lifetime, of which approximately 750,000 had done so in that year. It's remarkable that Chidester's parents, and only Chidester's parents, continue to be cited over and over again by the mainstream media in their coverage of the supposed "controversy" over the risks of Salvia divinorum.

DrugFacts: Salvia
Quote:
December 2012: The Drug Enforcement Agency has listed Salvia as a drug of concern and is considering classifying it as a Schedule I drug, like LSD or marijuana.

This shows the link between the media and enforced laws. In the United Kingdom, following a single local newspaper story. As well as in Delaware, following a single suicide. As I said before: a handful of people take psychedelics and do irresponsible things, the media then blames psychedelics to be the core cause of their behavior, the government then enforces new laws to ban the substances. Whether or not this is a deliberate act is interesting to think about, but irrelevant for the topic at hand. What matters is how information is channeled through the media, influencing public opinion and triggering new laws.

Can we only stand by helplessly, viewing this process taking place? No. We can participate in this battle. That is, we to can spread knowledge influencing public awareness with our point of view. We may not control the traditional media, but we do have the Internet. If Drug Inc makes a negative documentary about DMT, we can post comments on their website. As we can on topics as these. Other than spamming websites, we can do much more on the Internet. As we do on Nexus, we can group together and positively influence new users through interaction and collaborate together leading to new understandings and achievements.

So how can we collaborate against the media propaganda - criminalizing situation? We must find a way to win over the public opinion. How? There are two things we can do: 1) Try to limit irresponsible use 2) Counter the information war of biased views with our own sources and knowledge. Even if DMT and MIAO plants are 100% banned world wide which we can't do anything about, the public opinion can turn back these law in the future. It's the public opinion we must try to win.

Anyone notice how 'popular' DMT is becoming?
Quote:
"A good example is how marijuana recently became legalized in two states in the US. This happened because people got together and advocated for marijuana, they organized got out into the public and started spreading the message about a responsible safe way to use that drug. [...] I think the more popular DMT becomes the more chance there is of people organizing and advocating for safe and responsible use. [...] this is why i think it's important to advocate safe and responsible use on this site. i really think DMT needs to be separated from usual 'drug' culture. i suspect, however, the next generation may have enough information to treat DMT differently and with sense and respect. but, this is where the models and archetypes are set.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. We do have some control. There is still hope (be it in the long run). Why not educate users and the public with our point of view? Its the least we can do in the battle against psychedelics. So, what I'm trying to say is, if you're writing a book about DMT, why don't you incorporate these goals in it? How? For example, combine it with the following:

Open Hyperspace Traveler - What it is
Quote:
For the past few months I have been working on a project that we have come to name "The Open Hyperspace Traveler Course". It is supposed to be a course, an introduction and a guide for anyone interested in psychedelics, with a focus on education concerning safety, responsibility, facts and experience. The idea came from the world of SCUBA diving, where a similar system of education is used and was in great deal responsible for changing diving from a very risky sport into a rather safe sport. With this manual I/we hope to provide a basis to avoid all the preventable harm that (potential) psychedelics users otherwise might do to themselves (or others) - since I believe that a lot of the bad things that happen are due to ignorance and misinformation of the users, due to lacking education on this otherwise "taboo" topic. With this course the reader is introduced into the various substances, their effects and possible risks, and is subsequently is lead through a plethora of considerations concerning heath, safety, possible benefit and responsibility."

That context & subtext would be good have incorporated in your book. With a focus on educating users, potential users and curious non users. Maybe also something about the interaction between media, public opinion and laws. This all to advocate safe use, win public acceptance and increase non biased awareness of DMT / psychedelics.

Quote:
We also encourage suggestions for this topic list. [...] The topics are not restricted to the list, it is merely a starting point.

If you ask for suggestions, these are mine: please advocate safe use, respect, set and setting Smile

some one
#32 Posted : 5/25/2013 5:15:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I mainly meant, please dont forget to include something which The Open Hyperspace Traveler Course and Mission Statement of CEL hope to achieve. That's all.

Thinking back of this discussion, I now believe you are right in terms of the DMT experience itself causing the biggest respect for DMT. It is indeed a self correcting experience with therapeutic effects. We shouldn't worry too much. I'm sure the book will be a great read, looking forward to reading it!

Thumbs up

wearepeople
#33 Posted : 8/5/2013 6:52:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are there any updates on this project?

What stage is it in?

I'm interested in know what came of this.

Thank you,
wearepeople
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

Al-Wasi
#34 Posted : 9/12/2014 10:08:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wondering what ever became of this?
That moment when you wonder if this time you went too far....

Obviously everything discussed here is the fictional accounts of someone with an out there imagination. I mean really could any of these tales be real?

SnozzleBerry
#35 Posted : 9/12/2014 10:34:28 AM

omnia sunt communia!

It's still in the pipeline, having undergone various reshufflings as people's schedules dictated shifting levels involvement. The current outline looks a bit different than the initial proposition, but it's still in the works!

Rak and I should be chatting about the remaining steps once he gets back from Peru. We potentially have a publisher and a solid cast of contributors. I'll be happy to update as things solidify.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Nathanial.Dread
#36 Posted : 6/20/2015 2:13:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Any updates on this? Sounds like a pretty great project.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

The Traveler
#37 Posted : 6/20/2015 2:29:49 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Time to give this renewed energy indeed.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

bezevo
#38 Posted : 11/9/2023 11:48:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

so was there ever a book or e-zine ?

thanks Bez

PREV12