We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
The Chemistry of Extraction Options

benzyme
#41 Posted : 1/10/2015 2:55:55 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

the partition coefficient of simple tryptamines is close to that of diethyl ether, but they're also similar to toluene and dcm. the latter is choice, because it's volatile, but nonflammable.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#42 Posted : 1/10/2015 3:08:36 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

1ce wrote:
We don't hear about ether (diethyl? ) extractions here because it's not safe in a home extraction setting. Ether can have a real nasty temperment.[...]
Thanks for saying, I already mentioned this to him (ektor) elsewhere.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

1ce
#43 Posted : 1/10/2015 3:09:42 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

benzyme wrote:
the bar was already raised, he just further elucidated. Razz

the partition coefficient of simple tryptamines is close to that of diethyl ether, but they're also similar to toluene and dcm. the latter is choice, because it's volatile, but nonflammable.

To expand, and personify:

The DCM fumes won't burn your house down and you don't have to call the bomb squad when your solvent has exceeded it's use by date Pleased

benzyme
#44 Posted : 1/10/2015 3:24:32 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

the toxicity of chloroform and dcm is often overstated. yes it's a mutagen, but you'd need to handle it for several decades before you'd even get anything resembling a wart (the same applies to handling benzene, toluene, and xylene).

The benefit of not running the risk of starting a fire is worth it, imo.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

1ce
#45 Posted : 1/10/2015 3:47:46 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

I strongly favor extracting with TCM and solvent swapping to heptane.

ektor
#46 Posted : 1/10/2015 11:39:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I always used diethyl ether because it is cheap, extremely volatile and has a low toxicity. I know the danger of explosive peroxide or ether's natural high flammability thats why I always evaporated it in an open space.

Naphta is hard to find here and if you ask for limonene they say: "lemon-what???" besides ether I can find Zippo lighter fluid, is this ok for a/b with freeze precipitation?

downwardsfromzero wrote:
I'd save the ether for huffing. But that's just me being degenerate.
I know what you mean brother!! we used to inhale ether like crazy when teen ager out of chemistry lab!!!
It was fun Twisted Evil

Thanks fo the fast responses people, you astonish me Pleased

Mindlusion
#47 Posted : 8/31/2017 3:56:19 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

the actual effect of 'ionic strength' in these systems is vastly overstated.

The effect it has on partition coefficient is completely negligible, especially in the case that we are talking about naphtha, which is about as non polar as it gets. Even in the case of solvents like ether and CH2Cl2, where these solvents are actually somewhat soluble in aqueous, the effect is still negligible since we perform 2 or 3 pulls instead of just one.

The effect it has on DMT freebase solubility is equally unimportant.

The only time you use the effect on the partition coefficient is for washing wet organic solvent, washing CH2cl2 or ether with saturated NaCl will suck out any of the remaining water.

The only tangible effect ionic strength has is in breaking up emulsions, micelles. That's the only place solvent is going to be trapped and considerable yield might be lost. And even THAT has more to do with the fact you are increasing the density of the aqueous layer by adding salt. And that is a perfectly good reason to use salt, I'm not arguing against it's use. In my experience though some emulsions have only been broken with excess NaOH

So please, just stop talking about ionic strength. I mean, its great to learn about all of these equilibria and understand why they are happening and how to manipulate them... But Also it is important to at the same time understand the degrees in which these equilibrium are changing... some of them change by factors of 0.0000000000001%, while others shift exponentially...
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

PREV123