We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Are DMT and psilocybin basically the same thing? Options

Elpo
#41 Posted : 8/30/2017 8:01:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to dig up this old topic again, but a friend of mine told me about an experience with 4-ho-dmt (psilocin) and he was really ecstatic about it and of what he told his experience was very deep.

I couldn't help but wonder if this would be the same as taking a high dose of mushrooms. He took 30mg, so I was wondering how much that would be converted to dried grams of cubensis?
And any of you guys feel there is a huge difference between the two experiences (mushrooms vs pure psilocin?)

"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ananda7519
#42 Posted : 8/30/2017 2:32:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My understanding is that Psilocybin is converted by your body to Psilocin.
The storm can not hurt the sky.

Elpo
#43 Posted : 8/30/2017 5:44:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ananda7519 wrote:

Yes that I gathered, but I was wondering how much 30mg would be in dried grams?
And if some people have noticed differences between the two? I assume there will be some because as far as I know there are some other molecules besides psilocybin and psilocin in mushrooms.
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Espurrr
#44 Posted : 8/30/2017 6:24:48 PM

Elpo wrote:
Ananda7519 wrote:

Yes that I gathered, but I was wondering how much 30mg would be in dried grams?
And if some people have noticed differences between the two? I assume there will be some because as far as I know there are some other molecules besides psilocybin and psilocin in mushrooms.

it depends on the content of your cubensis mushrooms, but lets say you have cubes with basically 0.3%(low potency) or 1.3%(high potency) psilocin and psilocybin content then you need about 10 grams of the low potency or 2.3grams of the high potency mushrooms, so it does vary that way
you can find the alk content on different strains and calculate how much you'll be taking if you're not taking cubensis mushrooms Smile
there is a difference between the signature of shrooms and 4-ho-dmt for sure, but that would only matter if your intent for the experience would be to just understand the difference

dragonrider
#45 Posted : 8/31/2017 1:05:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A couple of times i experienced something odd with shrooms: one to two hours after the effects began, there was a sudden, very rapid increase in psychedelic effects, a sort of 'surge' i would even call it.

Could this be the result of the metabolisation of psilocybin into psilocin?

tregar
#46 Posted : 8/31/2017 8:15:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilocin is different from DMT in that it also targets the very important 5-ht1a receptors (which make up more than 80% of brain 5-ht)...but in doing so, psilocin gains this important quality yet looses strength at the remaining 20% of brain 5-ht as can be seen in chart below as compared to the super-potency of DMT at those remaining brain receptors. To me it seems, dmt was made to work in tandem with a potent 5-ht1a agonist like either caapi or 5-meo-dmt or other similar 5-h1a agonist, similar to how dmt is used in a Shamanic tradition in the Amazon--with either caapi/5-meo-dmt or it's 5-ht1a agonizing derivatives found in snuffs.

Ayahuasca is going to be one of the most potent of all the entheogens as it combines the unusually high intensity of DMT at the remaining 20% of brain 5-HT receptors with the high potency of caapi at 5-ht1a and beyond...Caapi is also strengthening the intensity of receptors sites that dmt targets, adding to their potency. This can be seen from the chart below, where dmt reigns supreme in it's targeting of receptors sites in high strengths beyond what psilocin is capable of, but lacks one critical ingredient....it has zero potency at 5-hta1 as can be seen from chart, but this is all corrected when dmt is taken with either caapi or 5-meo-dmt or it's relatives, important teamwork then takes place. DMT has no choice but to give up targetting at 5-ht1a so that it can be super-potent at all the other receptors, but when teamed with caapi/5-meo-dmt or it's derivatives, the cycle is completed of high intensity strength at all available 5-ht sites.

It is critical in my opinion to look at the science of what is happening in the brain when the 5-ht1a receptors (which make up over 80% of the brain's 5-ht receptors) are shut down when caapi is taken. Serotonin reuptake inhibition takes place throughout the brain when 5-ht1a is agonized. Caapi and the harmalas heavily target them (due to the harmine, tetrahydroharmine, and harmaline).

Since psilocin targets 5-h1a, it must give up some targetting power at the other 20% of brain receptors but....notice how dmt does not shut down the 5-ht1a receptors, since it is so busy targeting the other remaining 20 percent of brain 5-ht receptors with heavy power....it can only do so much...this is where I feel caapi or 5-meo-dmt comes in....to agonize the very important 5-ht1a, in other words there is teamwork going on. Not only that, but caapi is also strengthening the targeting seen at the 5-ht2a and adrenal receptors, raising them to the levels more commonly seen with entheogens such as mescaline or LSD, so not only is dmt targeting the 5-ht2a and adrenal receptors, but the harmalas are adding to the strength at these receptors as well.

As to the importance of shutting down the brain's 5-ht1a serotonin filters: 5-HT1a receptors make up over 80% of brain receptors according to LSD scientist Dr. Nichols...this is paramount he saids in what is happening with all the important oral psychedelics such as LSD and mescaline and mushrooms and Ayahuasca. It could be subjectively theorized that shutting down these filters acts as a channel to the transcendental spiritual world when this lifting of filters takes place in the brain, just as Aldous Huxley talked about decades ago..."mind at large" is allowed to manifest for several hours, as the day-to-day serotonin filters have been lifted, which mainly act to keep us in survival mode, otherwise we might constantly marvel at the aesthetic color of a traffic light for example.

Thomas S. Ray, Psychedelics and the Human Receptorome (2010):
http://journals.plos.org...371/journal.pone.0009019
hxxp://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0009019

Breadth of Receptor Binding, 4.00=max, 0.00=min
Quote:
LSD: 5ht1a = 3.73, DMT: = 0.00, psilocin = 2.88, mescaline = 3.61, 5-meo-DMT: = 4.00 (make up >80% of brain 5-ht)
LSD: 5ht1b = 4.00, DMT: = 0.00, psilocin = 2.19, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 2.41
LSD: 5ht1d = 3.70, DMT: = 3.91, psilocin = 3.40, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 3.48
LSD: 5ht1e = 2.62, DMT: = 3.28, psilocin = 3.03, mescaline = 3.16, 5-meo-DMT: = 1.72
LSD: 5ht2a = 3.54, DMT: = 2.58, psilocin = 2.14, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 0.98
LSD: 5ht2b = 3.11, DMT: = 3.91, psilocin = 4.00, mescaline = 3.97, 5-meo-DMT: = 0.69
LSD: 5ht2c = 3.11, DMT: = 3.42, psilocin = 2.52, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 1.55
LSD: 5ht5a = 3.64, DMT: = 3.16, psilocin = 2.83, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 1.84
LSD: -5ht6 = 3.75, DMT: = 3.35, psilocin = 2.82, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 2.73
LSD: -5ht7 = 3.77, DMT: = 4.00, psilocin = 2.82, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 3.69
LSD: ---D1 = 2.34, DMT: = 3.51, psilocin = 3.37, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 2.38
LSD: -A-2A = 2.93, DMT: = 2.75, psilocin = 1.36, mescaline = 2.92, 5-meo-DMT: = 0.00 (alpha-2A adrenergic receptor)
LSD: -A-2B = 0.00, DMT: = 3.53, psilocin = 1.57, mescaline = 0.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 0.86 (alpha-2B adrenergic receptor)
LSD: -A-2C = 0.00, DMT: = 3.53, psilocin = 1.03, mescaline = 4.00, 5-meo-DMT: = 1.57 (alpha-2C adrenergic receptor)

An example of the benefits of adding minute amounts of 5-ht1a agonism to DMT:

Oroc's experiment of combining 5-meo-dmt with DMT sounds imho very much like a short beautiful transcendental Ayahuasca experience, from his book "Tryptamine Palace":

Oroc: DMT + 5-meo-dmt:
Quote:
As an experiment (and in a foreign land) I smoked the last of the Bufo alvarius venom (the story of whose collection is described within the pages of Tryptamine Palace) with some ‘regular’ DMT (extracted from Jurema Preta.). In the vast majority of my early nigerine (DMT) experiences, I encountered visual fields of ‘dots’ that would come together to form images, much like the pointillism style of painting developed by Georges Seurat or the Australian Aboriginal song-line paintings.

** With the addition of the 5-MeO-DMT containing toad-venom to the DMT however, the visual characteristic was completely different and totally unique to my experiences so far. On this occasion there was a complete lack of ‘dots’ or ‘points’ of any kind, the fine lines of the constantly changing imagery were like those painted with a single-hair brush on Tibetan thangkas and due to the overwhelming artistry of what I was seeing, I could only think of the vaulted ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in comparison.

Sistene Chapel: This was without a doubt the most ‘visionary’ experience I have ever been fortunate enough to encounter and I lay there with my eyes shut watching the most fantastic parade of the Collective Unconsciousness imaginable, wishing that it would never end, and as I sit here now I can not even describe one tiny corner of it, since every image in the multitude of imagery was in such constant motion that they defied all but a glimpse. And then moments later, like a tent collapsing when its ropes are cut, the vision is gone. Leaving only a struggle of words to explain it, since nothing before or after has come close to this experiences visual majesty.

This experience leads to the interesting question of selectively combining DMT and 5-MeO-DMT for a more visionary and somewhat less overwhelmingly transcendental experience. (Or for the other way around). This combining of the two endogenous entheogens is being tested in changa blends (reportedly at a 90% DMT to 10% 5-MeO-DMT ratio), while many Pharmahuasca urban-shamans are also adding 5-MeO-DMT to their ayahuasca-analogues to transform and deepen that experience. It seems likely to me that the combining of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT in various ratios and manners will only become more popular as the exponentially increasing number of psychonauts search for new psychological terrain to explore.

Yet another example of the differences between smoked dmt and dmt with an oral 5-ht1a agonist or it's derivatives:

Graham Hancock, "Supernatural", pg 428:
Quote:
My experience with smoked DMT was qualitatively different from the realms and beings ayahuasca introduced me to. For whereas the ayahuasca worlds seemed rich, luxurious, and abundant in the transformations of organic and supernatural life, DMT brought me to a world--or to some aspect of a world--that appeared from the outset to be highly artificial, constructed, inorganic, and in essence technological.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

starway6
#47 Posted : 9/2/2017 2:20:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

years back.. i took what was called ..orange psilocybin.. and smoked opiated black hash.. and was locked for hours into a colorfull cartoon world.. in a cartoon city.. with cartoon people ..in cartoon cars..

It was much like a lego city in action !

It was a very fun place.. but to this day im not shure what was most responsible for the experiance the opiated hash or the orange psilocybin??

Orange psilocybin was made in labs back in 1970 wasnt it?

Bancopuma
#48 Posted : 9/2/2017 4:34:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elpo wrote:
Sorry to dig up this old topic again, but a friend of mine told me about an experience with 4-ho-dmt (psilocin) and he was really ecstatic about it and of what he told his experience was very deep.

I couldn't help but wonder if this would be the same as taking a high dose of mushrooms. He took 30mg, so I was wondering how much that would be converted to dried grams of cubensis?
And any of you guys feel there is a huge difference between the two experiences (mushrooms vs pure psilocin?)

I had an experience with a few doses of pure synthetic psilocin not too long ago, my last dose as it happens was 30mg like your friend had. My thoughts on the experience:

Quote:
Earlier today I sampled 30mg of pure synthetic lab made psilocin fumarate. This was a powerful dose more than enough to produce powerful psychedelic effects, and it was a beautiful experience. While it obviously induced a state very similar to the bemushroomed one, I definitely felt it to be slightly different to mushrooms...the psychedelic visuals were in some way slightly muted I found...the experience with mushrooms I find to be in some way richer, fuller, more lively and voluptuous and to have more energy and sparkle. It's hard to describe in words. It felt like there was a hint of sterility to the experience, compared with mushrooms. I'm trying to be as objective as I can when I describe this, but bear in mind this is highly subjective terrain, and just my individual take, and so should be taken with a pinch of salt. With that said, I prefer the state mushrooms induce, and I definitely feel that secondary metabolites in mushrooms have an effect on the experience they produce, and this is what gives rise to the perceived experiential qualitative differences people commonly report in association with different species. All my experiences with Panaeolus cyanescens were far more colourful and light filled than this pure chemical, which is interesting, and is suggestive to me at least that other compounds in the mushroom modulate the psilocin experience they produce to some degree. I had a prior experience with 15mg psilocin, but wanted to have a deeper high dose experience before giving my verdict on it. Would be good to see more research on the biochemical make up of the various psilocybin mushroom species.

TL;DR is that it was a positive experience, but personally I'd rather have some nice mushrooms...my hunch is that the role of secondary metabolites in mushrooms is overlooked or downplayed when it comes to modulating the mushroom experience (vs pure psilocin).

Potency of Psilocye cubensis is known to vary widely, with psilocybin/psilocin contents of 0.14-0.42% fresh and 0.37-1.30% dry (see linked study below) so you're likely looking at a minimum of 30g fresh/3g dried to reach that kind of dosage.

https://www.researchgate...magic_mushrooms_in_Japan

syberdelic
#49 Posted : 9/2/2017 8:42:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

delete me

tregar
#50 Posted : 9/4/2017 3:15:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Having dreamed shrooms many times in the distant past and dreamed Ayahuaca over 50 times, had switched to Ayahuasca early on as found it more visionary and euphoric and lucid. Intestinal nausea (caused by sediment) was avoided with careful filtering using funnels and cotton balls, and keeping at moderate doses.

Like Syberdelic mentions, harmine and harmaline only brews with leaf were found to be quite nauseating brain wise--but with caapi brews which contain THH, the THH seemed to impart an anti-nausea and clear-headed effect--nausea was reduced to near zero brain-wise--complete mystery as to why this happens--perhaps the THH acted to balance out an overy narcotic feeling from harmine/harmaline receptor agonism by adding stimulation and clear-headedness (yin and yang balance then achieved). The added Caapi portion of Ayahuasca contains not only harmine & harmaline but decent amounts of THH. Found this quote to be true from trips below:

Trips (from 12/2/2011 here at this forum):
Quote:
As to how the THH altered the experience -> I find rue extract+DMT to be very similar to mushrooms I found the THH added to the rue+DMT to shift the experience to a state much closer to that provided by LSD. It was more clear, more energetic, more focused, more euphoric, and when confusion struck it was definitely more "acid-like".

Some good comparisons were made between ayahuasca and shrooms by leprechaun and roo below..with aya the 'visions were far more lucid, mature, complex, straightforward and serious' : As can be seen from the chart a few posts above, the strength of dmt as compared to psilocin at the remaining 20% of brain receptors is nearly double at most receptors, and when pared with a proper 5-ht1a agonist like caapi, the possibilities are staggering since all available brain 5-ht is agonized..also the hours of dream like scenery of caapi in combination with leaf cannot be found in any other entheogen--this dream like scenery apparently tapping into the Akashic record of all past, present, and future events recorded in the Universe of all thoughts from every living being, all historical and future records, etc--Ayahuasca taps into this psi domain with ease -- due to it's shifting of brain activity into a meditative alert state.

~leprechaun:
Quote:
After the geometrics I have a very intense visionary phase which lasts about 30-60 mins. then the trip rapidly subsides to a low level for a few hours and I go to bed.

~roo:
Quote:
Ayahuasca is not as bad as you think it is. I would consider it to be "sort" of like a "bemushroomed" trip, but far more lucid and mature. The visuals are somewhat like those encountered with the mushroom, but far more complex. I have seen the usually "jungle" type visions, complex geometric vision, visions of "cities", and visions not unlike those painted by Alex Grey. The major difference I have noted is that the experience is much more strait forward and serious.

~leprechaun:
Quote:
I'm glad you agree with the purple and blues and have seen cities and jungle stuff too. Have you seen lots of silver and gold? That is the key thing that Aya has above shrooms.

I agree with the geometrics being far more complex,colourful and vivid. Shrooms can be very spiritual but often they can fall flat. Ayahuasca seems to always be profound and spiritual, and the visions have a feeling of depth and reality that shrooms could never give.

I can't help thinking back at some amazing silver chrome corkscrew visuals I had, embedded in kaleidescope colours. So damn vivid it was almost as if I had my eyes open looking at some computer screen playing these visuals.

They are so solid and in-your-face, so clear. You can look around and examine them. If you try that with shroom visuals they disappear.

Have you ever heard music, something like slow carribean barrel drums or soft tonal gongs? I'm sure I heard some other musical stuff but I can't remember the detail.

Have you ever felt like you were changing into someone else or looking through someone else's eyes?

Do you usually get a geometric phase of tripping first which then develops into the proper visionary trip?

~redmonk:
Quote:
Many of the beautifully detailed descriptions of particular visions from Ayahuasca are worth the price of the book alone [Benny Shanon's 500 page 7 year experiences w/Ayahuasca "Antipodes of the Mind", Oxford University Press]
I agree, Benny Shanon's book is remarkable.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Elpo
#51 Posted : 9/5/2017 4:50:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@Tregar: So what effect would combining harmalas with psilocybin have on the 5h receptors?
Would this allow the psilocybin to 'cover more ground' while keeping that power on the 1a receptor?

@BAncopuma: thanks for your insight, I know you are interested in the other metabolites in shrooms. I also believe them to play a role, how significant that role is I don't know.
My personal tendencies always goes to the more natural type if possible. I heard Dennis McKenna talk about this on his last podcast with Joe Rogan (which is great imo).
They were talking about the difference between weed and some extracted form of thc. If I remember correctly Dennis stated that the synergy between different molecules in a plant are too important to be overlooked. Something that unfortunately happens in modern medicine where everything is made on a 1 to 1 basis.

tregar
#52 Posted : 9/8/2017 5:07:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elpo said:
Quote:
@Tregar: So what effect would combining harmalas with psilocybin have on the 5h receptors? Would this allow the psilocybin to 'cover more ground' while keeping that power on the 1a receptor?
Great question Elpo, unfortunately, no one has ever done comprehensive receptor site study on a combination of harmalas on their own, much less in combination with anything else. Would love to see the data for that, do know that Ayahuasca covers alot of ground already, would think that psilocin with harmalas would still not quite approach the power of Ayahuasca.

dragonrider
#53 Posted : 9/8/2017 6:27:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the dopaminergic effects of harmala's also play a major role. It's mainly because of it's dopaminergic effects that a substance like cocaïne can be addictive. Dopamine plays a role in most kinds of addiction.

Anyway, an increase in dopaminergic activity is generally being linked with feelings of pleasure.
I suspect that such effects definately play a role in the ayahuasca experience.

At least, for me personally, ayahuasca is quite pleasurable.

dreamer042
#54 Posted : 9/8/2017 6:50:44 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

tregar wrote:
Would love to see the data for that

Grella, Brian, et al. "Binding of β-carbolines at 5-HT 2 serotonin receptors." Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters 13.24 (2003): 4421-4425.*Attached
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

tregar
#55 Posted : 9/9/2017 2:46:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dreamer042 to the rescue! Thanks for this important paper on betacarbolines (caapi/harmalas) binding activity. I will surely add this to my important papers which I read regularly, thanks again. I'm already reviewing and plan to read over and over--this is a major find in my book. Thanks again Dreamer042 Thumbs up

Dreamer042 said:
Quote:
Grella, Brian, et al. "Binding of β-carbolines at 5-HT 2 serotonin receptors." Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters 13.24 (2003): 4421-4425.*Attached

Like Dragonrider, find Ayahuasca pleasurable as well, always had dreamed caapi and potent hawaiian psychotria together, while hawaiian psychotria used to be easier to find many years ago, it is still quite rare, only being able to find a few times a year, the dynamics of digestion of the leaf are quite potent in the hot liquid form, like handling a high speed sports car at moderate levels for a good 90 minutes, then tapers down to a weaker journey for the next couple hours, one of the most important qualities being it's realistic visions with closed eyes for many hours--flying like a bird over ancient temples, islands & modern day cities and landscapes. Also have seen commonly: jungle scenery, waterscapes, gardens and architecture, flowers & animals & beautiful women, artwork, all common themes with closed eyes,--matches many of the same themes Benny Shannon talked about in his book "Antipodes of the Mind", who dreamed Ayahuasca over 125 times over a period of 7 years.

Even if the caapi is strong and the leaf very weak, these closed eye remarkable visions still manifest, just not as bright and colorful, but still there in 4k + high definition for many hours, just important to sit down still and watch--starts with geometrics which then progresses to the fully formed realistic visions, often each theme is interrupted with a new set of geometrics, and then goes on to a new realisitic dream-like visual journey, just as leprechaun mentions above. 6 hours of closed eye visions is not un-common with two large amounts of caapi broken up into 2 doses over that period--side effects like not wanting to move much and dizziness (so sitting or lying still is important) can increase over this period, and often why you see UDV members sitting in a lawn chair still outside for long periods of time during the ceremony.

Perhaps a better question for this old time topic might be how does psilocin compare to Ayahuasca? Ayahuasca is a combination of many potent agonist as it combines the dream-like visions of Caapi with the visual qualities of the leaf. But Ayahuasca is still Ayahuasca even without the leaf, as the visions and teachings are still there.

From Gayle Highpine, "Unraveling the Mystery of the Origin of Ayahuasca":
http://www.ayahuasca.com...the-origin-of-ayahuasca/
hxxp://www.ayahuasca.com/amazon/botany-ecology/unraveling-the-mystery-of-the-origin-of-ayahuasca/
Quote:
In the western world, Ayahuasca acquired a new definition: It was now, by definition, the combination of Banisteriopsis caapi and a DMT-containing plant. Ayahuasca became, by definition, “orally active DMT.” The first anthropologist to adopt the new definition seems to have been Luis Eduardo Luna in 1984. Luna spent time with Terence McKenna, absorbing his perspective, before beginning his fieldwork. Since then, anthropologists have increasingly adopted this definition and filtered their observations through it. The preeminence of the Ayahuasca vine in the indigenous Amazonian world became the elephant in the living room of Ayahuasca studies, with a tacit agreement to pretend it doesn’t exist.

The leaves were Ayahuasca’s “helpers,” I was told, and their purpose was to “brighten and clarify” the visions. The vine is like a cave, and the leaf is like a torch you use to see what is inside the cave. The vine is like a book, and the leaf is like the candle you use to read the book. The vine is like a snowy television set, and the leaf helps to tune in the picture. There was a subtle attitude that the need for strong leaf was the sign of a beginner: An experienced ayahuasquero could see the visions even in low light

Ayahuasca vine is not visionary in the same way as DMT. The leaf helps illuminate the content, but the teachings are credited to the vine. Vine visions are “frequently associated with writing, to a code that is present in visions…or in the ‘books’ where the spirits keep the secrets of the forest.” The vine is The Teacher, The Healer, The Guide. The purpose of drinking Ayahuasca is to receive the message the vine imparts. This is why it is the vine, not the leaf, that is classified by the type of vision it gives. “For them the vine is, in truth, a living guide, a friend, a paternal authority”.

Listening to the Vine

While I was living in the village, someone began the process of shamanic apprenticeship. There was a series of ceremonies with brews of special strength for that purpose; brews with enormous quantities of vine. About two to three pounds of fresh vine per person was used (about 25 to 35 times the amount needed for MAOI inhibition). Those were powerful experiences indeed.

He would learn to navigate the strongest of brews with clear focus, and be undistracted by any amount of DMT fireworks.

One example of the many visions encountered with Ayahuasca (from Shanon's book "Antipodes of the Mind", Oxford University press):
Quote:
Buildings

Buildings appear very frequently in the visions; most of them are magnificent. Most notable are, on the one hand, palaces and other palatial complexes and, on the other hand, temples and religious sites; castles, mansions, and archeological ruins are also common. Often the palaces and temples seen are made out of gold, crystal, and precious stones. Here, for instance, are two descriptions taken from Polari (1984: 197-8, 264):

'I found myself in the salon of a castle illuminated by torches. The salon was oval, slightly oblong, with semicircular doors, placed at regular intervals. At the same time, I saw an atrium situated in front of the principal wall, and the hall of the throne.

Thousands of tunnels, galleries, corridors, secret doors, staircases, inclined planes crisscrossed in a composition akin to one of Escher's These led to sumptuous palaces, lofty halls, sarcophagi, caverns or temples. In some of these there were sentinels appearing as medieval figures.'

I myself have seen palaces and temples many times. As described in the previous chapter, the only time I consumed Ayahuasca in the midst of the virgin Amazonian forest, I saw a whole sequence of palatial and regal scenes. I hoped to get a glimpse of the mysteries of the Amazonian jungle, but instead I saw palaces and royalty from different cultures on both sides of the Atlantic. The most impressive of these were two visits to the throne hall of an Egyptian pharaoh. In real life, I have been to many of the famous archeological sites in Egypt, and I have also visited the Egyptian galleries of many museums, but what I saw in this and other visions surpassed them all. The Egyptian palaces revealed to me in my Ayahuasca visions appeared to be totally new and full of life, as if they had just been constructed.

Like Polari, on many occasions I saw corridors, one hall opening into another, marvellous wall-paintings, sculptures, and reliefs. Architectural details that especially impressed me included sculpted marble colonnades in the form of white elephants, staircases adorned with golden lions, and finely carved gilded wooden ceilings. Several times, I saw most beautiful painted tiles. In the reports of my informants mosaics appear frequently; an example was described in Ch. 6 when serial images were discussed.

The temples I have seen were both ones of ancient civilizations and ones of the more recent Christian world. One of the more impressive architectural visions I have had was of a grand cathedral. The edifice extended up to the heavens and its dominant colour was emerald. I have heard of very similar visions from my informants. Several informants told me that looking, with open eyes, at the hall or the maloca (Amazonian hut) in which the Daime or Ayahuasca session was,taking place, the whole place transformed into a holy edifice. In more than one instance, the actual roof seemed to disappear and the visioned construction reached up to the sky. Also reported by many informants are pyramids of all sorts, most either Egyptian or pre-Columbian.

As exemplified in the above citations from Polari, basements, hidden passages, gates, and doors are all very common. These often have a secret, enchanting allure.

Cities

Entire cities may be seen as well. Here I focus on cities qua architectural complexes; cities as a type of place are considered later in this survey. The cities seen in visions are usually exotic and most fabulous. Discussing the Amaringo paintings Luna comments that: 'About one third of the visions presented contain... cities. Their architecture is either diffusely Eastern Chinese, Arabian, Indian or futuristic, or both. They may be located in the underwater world or on another planet' (Luna and Amaringo, 1993: 41; see also Harner, 1973c).

My own experiences corroborate this general statement: Most of the cities I have seen seemed to belong to ancient civilizations whereas others were futuristic or magical, whose identity I could not determine. The reports of my informants reveal the same pattern. The most impressive city I have seen was that described in the Prologue whose buildings were made of gold and precious stones.

AwesomeUsername
#56 Posted : 9/9/2017 3:31:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pharmacology aside, I would actually say yes, they are.

Based on my own experiences and experiences from other people, mushrooms, pure psilocybin, and low doses off smoked DMT at peak levels feel pretty much the same. Many claim that a high enough dose of mushrooms is indistinguishable from smoked DMT, except that it's prolonged.

Ayahuasca is a bit different, though... With the presence of harmalas there is definitely a much more pronounced body load, but it can also at times have a better body high, and a superior afterglow.

As far as the healing aspect goes, I would have to take a draw between ayahuasca and mushrooms, and say that smoked DMT is a less useful tool.

If you don't want to pay lots of money to visit a country and drink ayahuasca as a tourist, brew your own brews and be your own shaman, or experience that violent purge and body load that will never make ayahuasca a popular recreational/street drug but still want to experience a powerful plant medicine that has long history of human use in shamanic rituals and a big impact on society shrooms might be more for you. All along they are pretty much two slightly different roads that take you to the same place.

Smoked DMT in form of freebase or changa is also definitely an interesting experience but in my opinion are too fast and the intensity of it makes it hard to remember. It is however the best form of eye candy I know of, worth a shot if you want to push the limits and go as far as possible in the psychedelic realm. The short duration is an advantage because you mostly won't be a danger to yourself and the others in the time-frame of 5-20 minutes.

PREV123