We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Inner space: String theory & the universes' hidden dimensions - Yau Shing-Tung Options

nen888
#1 Posted : 12/7/2012 8:35:42 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..there's lots of high rating sensationalist vids out there..here's some 100% academia..
on some quite out there stuff if you think about it..the production quality's minimal but not the science..Smile
Quote:
String theory says we live in a ten-dimensional universe, but that only four are accessible to our everyday senses. According to theorists, the missing six are curled up in bizarre structures known as Calabi-Yau manifolds. The discoverer of these manifolds, Professor Yau Shing-Tung, will describe in general terms how geometry enables the understanding of space time and trace its historical development from the ancient Greeks through Einstein to modern string theory, analysing on the way the contributions of many great geometers and physicists.

[lecture at The Australian National University on 24 November 2010.]

and here are some images attached of Calabi Yau Spaces...
nen888 attached the following image(s):
calabi-spin.gif (371kb) downloaded 358 time(s).
5400_3.jpg (18kb) downloaded 352 time(s).
Calabi yau Sapce.gif (551kb) downloaded 355 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

zombicyckel
#2 Posted : 12/7/2012 8:38:56 AM

Armchair activist

This is the reason I became intrested in science! gonna check this out for sure.

nen888
#3 Posted : 12/7/2012 8:43:59 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..happy to please..!Very happy , well, hopefully.!..but yeah, this is some real deep stuff if you follow it through..comes out of the mathematics of geometry of a theoretical universe with no matter (possible under special conditions of relativity afaik)

zombicyckel
#4 Posted : 12/7/2012 8:51:52 AM

Armchair activist

Indeed some deep stuff, I was gonna study 5 year physics at university. But when I was faced with the option, I was to lazy Razz school has a way for destoying ones passion. But watching vids like this is good enough for me hehe, so cheers Very happy intresting talk

zombicyckel
#5 Posted : 12/7/2012 9:02:01 AM

Armchair activist

would love to see the screen where he shows stuff, they just film him

embracethevoid
#6 Posted : 12/7/2012 12:23:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

zombicyckel wrote:
Indeed some deep stuff, I was gonna study 5 year physics at university. But when I was faced with the option, I was to lazy Razz school has a way for destoying ones passion. But watching vids like this is good enough for me hehe, so cheers Very happy intresting talk

You can do it on your own too. Letting school forbid you from such powerful knowledge? Come on man, you're better than that. Physics knowledge reaches into every single aspect of your life. It's as good as Taoist wisdom.

zombicyckel
#7 Posted : 12/7/2012 1:15:08 PM

Armchair activist

embracethevoid wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:

You can do it on your own too. Letting school forbid you from such powerful knowledge? Come on man, you're better than that. Physics knowledge reaches into every single aspect of your life. It's as good as Taoist wisdom.

Haha, true Very happy maybe I start reading again when I got some free time. love science.

nen888
#8 Posted : 12/8/2012 12:47:08 AM
member for the trees

..ok here's a cool gift for you from the free-net:
The Shape of Inner Space - String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions by Yau Shing-Tung and Steve Nadis pdf..
..so deep are some of Yau Shing-Tung's concepts that a non-mathematician (Nadis) was brought in to translate them..Smile

..it also has implications on the cosmological scale..the small diagram attached is from Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics February 2008 - "Spinflation"
[Damien A Easson, Ruth Gregory, David F Mota, Gianmassimo Tasinato and Ivonne Zavala]
Quote:
We study the cosmological implications of including angular motion in the Dirac–Born–Infeld brane inflation scenario. The non-canonical kinetic terms of the Dirac–Born–Infeld action give an interesting alternative to slow-roll inflation, and cycling branes can drive periods of accelerated expansion in the Universe. We present explicit numerical solutions demonstrating brane inflation in the Klebanov–Strassler throat. We find that demanding sufficient inflation takes place in the throat is in conflict with keeping the brane's total energy low enough that local gravitational back-reaction on the Calabi–Yau manifold can be safely ignored. We deduce that spinflation (brane inflation with angular momentum) can ease this tension by providing extra e-foldings at the start of inflation. Cosmological expansion rapidly damps the angular momentum causing an exit to a more conventional brane inflation scenario. Finally, we set up a general framework for cosmological perturbation theory in this scenario, where we have multi-field non-standard kinetic term inflation.

attached images: some more Calibi-Yau Manifolds, and 'brane inflation'..
7305296418_5344ebf159_z.jpg (122kb) downloaded 298 time(s).
image-1.jpg (69kb) downloaded 295 time(s).
7102701.jpg (32kb) downloaded 295 time(s).

embracethevoid
#9 Posted : 12/8/2012 1:27:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^
Don't you think that that pic of the Calabi-Yau form looks exactly like what you'd see on a high dose of spice? I distinctly remember similar shapes pulsing and waving hyperdimensionally through my vision everytime when I was on receptor saturating doses of mimosa. Same thing was observed on 2C-B and ketamine also.

It had the same colour and polystyrene light ball effect that you see there too; thats actually a distinct hallmark. These gyrating forms would liquidly bounce through the dimensions and they would be made of light beads. Just mindblowing, and inexplicable. At this point there would be some rapturous bliss. And I'd look around at everything, and it would be made of this spongey white light, made of such light beads, like this fluid thermoforming plastic, and the plastic would vibrate through these Calabi-Yau-esque forms. I'm sure others can relate, I sincerely doubt I'm alone in experiencing this. Seems like a hallmark of high dose oral spice.

zombicyckel wrote:
embracethevoid wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:

Haha, true Very happy maybe I start reading again when I got some free time. love science.

Take a look at MIT Open Courseware. Another brilliant page is Gerard 't Hooft's guide on being a good physicist. I'm on the same path myself. In the story of mine own life, the saying "I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education" is starting to become the chorus.

nen888
#10 Posted : 12/8/2012 1:44:46 AM
member for the trees

embracethevoid wrote:
Quote:
Don't you think that that pic of the Calabi-Yau form looks exactly like what you'd see on a high dose of spice? I distinctly remember similar shapes pulsing and waving hyperdimensionally through my vision everytime when I was on receptor saturating doses of mimosa. Same thing was observed on 2C-B and ketamine also.
..my thoughts exactly..the first image in the OP was very close to several early spice experiences, except that the 'space' or 'object' seemed somehow alive or at least imbued with consciousness in some way..more so than an everyday brick wall at any rate..!
..more than any other kind of generic formula based mathematical images (fractals etc) i find Calabi-Yau manifolds the most DMT-like in some way..though, obviously, not the whole picture..but part of it..

embracethevoid
#11 Posted : 12/8/2012 1:58:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The one thing I vividly remember is closing my eyes, seeing these forms and "hearing" in my mind's ear this deep whoooom...whoooom noise. Kind of like the vibrating noise you hear from just closing your eyes really hard, but this sound came from the visuals themselves. And yeah certainly they were imbued with some kind of consciousness, I guess they are the workings of our brain rendered using our brain itself. Kinda like using a webcam attached to a robot arm to pop open its own computer and display its internal components on the screen itself.

So yeah there would be that deep "bassy" waving pulsing noise. And the sound would amplify and attenuate, as the light would vivify and darken in a similar fashion to this vid, and all the while these plastic shapes would be rippling between dimensions. Every now and then an anonymous greyish humanoid(s) would jump out and back in. And your head would pretty much be stuck to some awkward part of your elbow, the most bizarre positions yet you'd feel like you were a weightless baby in the most perfectly temperature adapted hot tub, a womb even.

I mean we do have a word for the more mundane 2D visuals on other hallucinogens: phosphenes or form constants. But what do you really call these things?

nen888
#12 Posted : 12/8/2012 7:52:07 AM
member for the trees

embracethevoid wrote:
Quote:
..The one thing I vividly remember is closing my eyes, seeing these forms and "hearing" in my mind's ear this deep whoooom...
but this sound came from the visuals themselves. And yeah certainly they were imbued with some kind of consciousness, I guess they are the workings of our brain rendered using our brain itself.

..your description embracethevoid, and the Calabi-Yau forms are bringing back recollection of similar sounds, and as the moving 'thought form' approached (or vice versa? ) for Direct Addressing..'docking'..i could hear and feel kind of bubbling/popping sounds, like 'atmosphere exchange' i even recall thinking at the time (how intact the ego can still be in high dose DMT states!)
Quote:
I mean we do have a word for the more mundane 2D visuals on other hallucinogens: phosphenes or form constants. But what do you really call these things?

..now when i say 'not the whole picture' i in part mean that there are levels beyond or above what i associate with these Calabi-Yau like spaces..perhaps it is a level as you say of 'the brain rendering itself'..or even the 'Brane' rendering itself (if we want to get cosmicSmile)..
i find the tern 'brane', used by cosmologists to mean the expanding 'bubble' in the theoretical multiverse so often spoken of, but rarely explained..derived from membrane..and of course the biological concept of membranes is vital to the function of discrete parts of the Brain..
..but beyond this can be experiences such as (a personal one) the spirit of the plant teacher..or, as many describe, the 'Clear light of the void', or McKenna's 'Titanic Realms'..or even 'Blues for Allah'..
..levels of resolution, partly dosage, partly mind-set dependent it seems to me..
..i don't know what to call these 3-4D things..
'Discrete Conscious Packets'..'Moving Energy Branes'..'Visual Thought Forms'
is just say 'Calabi-Yau Space' for now..Smile
ps. a point about Calabi-Yau Manifolds is that, in rigorously mathematical theory they are 'there/here'..just as particles 'are' in the quantum sense..

nen888
#13 Posted : 12/8/2012 7:58:14 AM
member for the trees

..i've summed up some of the background and findings of Shing-Tung's work..(for those who don't have time to read the pdf)
Quote:
"There’s a chance, however, that the universe is ultimately curved and bounded. But even if it is, the allowable curvature is so slight that, according to some analyses, the Hubble volume we see is just one out of at least one thousand such volumes that must exist. And a recently launched space instrument, the Planck telescope, may reveal within a few years that there are at least one million Hubble volumes out there in the cosmos, only one of which we’ll ever have access to.
At the other extreme, microscopes, particle accelerators, and various imaging devices continue to reveal the universe on a miniature scale…there may even be more dimensions, and possibly quite a few more than the three spatial dimensions we’re intimately acquainted with.
My father died unexpectedly when I was fourteen, leaving our family not only grief-stricken but destitute, with a slew of debts to pay off and virtually no income. As I needed to earn some money to support the family, an uncle advised me to leave school and raise ducks instead. But I had a different idea: teaching mathematics to other stu dents. Given our financial circumstances, I knew there was just one chance for me to succeed and I placed my bets on math, double or nothing.
So why did geometry, of all the areas of mathematics, come to occupy center stage for me, both in my waking thoughts and in my dreams? Primarily because it struck me as the field closest to nature and therefore closest to answering the kinds of questions I cared about most. Besides, I find it helpful to look at pictures when grappling with difficult concepts, and pictures are few and far between in the more abstruse realms of algebra and number theory. Then there was this fantastic group of people doing geometry at Berkeley ...

Dehn’s lemma, a geometric version of which was proven by William Meeks and the author (Yau), provides a mathematical technique for simplifying a surface that crosses, or intersects, itself into a surface with no crossings, folds, or other singularities. The lemma is typically framed in terms of topology, but the geometric approach taken by Meeks and Yau offers a more precise solution.
The argument is difficult to explain mainly because the Einstein field equation, which relates the physics in this situation to geometry, is a complicated, nonlinear formulation that is not intuitive. Basically, we started off by assuming that the mass of a particular space was not positive. Next we showed that you could construct an area-minimizing surface in such a space whose average curvature was non-negative. The surface, in other words, could have zero average curvature. That would be impossible, however, if the space in which the surface sat was our universe, where the observed matter density is positive. And assuming that general relativity is correct, a positive matter density implies positive curvature.
While this argument might seem circular, it actually is not. The matter density can be positive in a particular space, such as our universe, even though the total mass is not positive. That’s because there are two contributions to total mass—one coming from matter and the other coming from gravity."

Quote:
The component that lies in the six compactified dimensions of the Calabi-Yau gives riseto the four-dimensional gauge fields of our world and hence to the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces. In fact, it’s fair to say that those forces are generated by the internal structure of the Calabi-Yau, or so string theory maintains.

A two-dimensional torus, for example, is in many ways defined by two independent loops or cycles, one going around the hole and another going through. The moduli, by definition, measure the size of the cycles, which themselves govern both the size and shape of the manifold. If the cycle going through the donut hole is the smaller of the two, you’ll have a skinny donut; if it’s the larger, you’ll have a fat donut with a relatively small hole in the middle. A third modulus describes the degree to which the torus is twisted.

So much for the torus. A Calabi-Yau, which, as we’ve noted, can have upwards of five hundred holes, comes with many cycles of various dimensions and hence many more moduli—anywhere from dozens to hundreds. One way to picture them is as a field in four-dimensional spacetime. The field for the size moduli, for instance, assigns a number to every point in ordinary space corresponding to the size (or radius) of the unseen Calabi-Yau. A field of this sort—which is completely characterized by a single number at each point in space, with no direction or vector involved—is called a scalar field. One can imagine all sorts of scalar fields around us, such as those measuring the temperature at every point in space or the humidity, barometric pressure, and so forth.
calibi-yau cross-section.png (60kb) downloaded 268 time(s).
the shape of inner space.png (121kb) downloaded 268 time(s).
Fluxes.png (63kb) downloaded 265 time(s).

nen888
#14 Posted : 12/8/2012 8:01:43 AM
member for the trees

..and a poem by the discoverer of Calabi-Yau Spaces..

A FLASH IN THE MIDDLE OF A LONG NIGHT
Once I stood on the edge of a bridge, strolled along the lakeshore, striving to catch from afar a glimpse of your matchless beauty.
Once I climbed atop a pavilion, seeking a road at land’s end, yearning for a vision of your fair, ineffable presence.
Ten thousand yards of silk your lightness cannot contain. The moon hovers miles away, its shadow broad, expansive.
The boundless sky, the neverending stream, waves breaking without surcease. All excite the unfathomable depth of which we call eternity.
The road is long, the view obscured, with thousands of threads entangled. Pursuing the truth, you toil endlessly. In dreams you’ve surely been there.
Yet inspiration has struck, time and again, lifting us onto the shoulders of giants. From Euclid to Descartes, Newton to Gauss, and Riemann to Poincaré.
O! The phantom of all things, So hard to divine in daylight’s glare. Then suddenly, when the radiance dims, she reveals a glimpse of her unseen form.
A chance encounter, unrivalled splendor, from genius through the ages. Let us celebrate the poetry of the universe and the geometry through which it sings.

Shing-Tung Yau Cambridge, 2006.

nen888
#15 Posted : 12/12/2012 4:33:15 AM
member for the trees

..i'll go out on a limb here, and say..this guys' a genius..
i may go on about tachyon theory and other such eccentricities, but this Calabi-Yau stuff close to the next step for physics in my layman's intuitive opinion..

the ramifications of some of his work are both deep and poetic..Smile

Solar Jetman
#16 Posted : 12/12/2012 7:11:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love stuff like this.

Watching the video right now, and i'm a bit peppered.

I'll get back to this thread soon Big grin
The theory of drugs being dangerous and lethal developed a hole when Keith Richards was born.

nen888
#17 Posted : 12/13/2012 12:59:25 AM
member for the trees

..glad you in the zone Solar Jetman..
all i can say is Calabi-Yau!Smile

& http://sire.com/calabi-yau/movies/6d_sgi.mpg
calabiyau3.gif (97kb) downloaded 184 time(s).
image-1.jpg (123kb) downloaded 187 time(s).

embracethevoid
#18 Posted : 12/14/2012 12:58:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That very last image is pretty much exactly what I saw on flood doses of DMT (i.e. full receptor saturation). That is the exact form of those visuals I was talking about earlier. I do not know if what I saw were themselves Calabi-Yau manifolds but suffice to say the artwork is identical. The actual visuals were a cross between that and the one in post #8.

nen888
#19 Posted : 12/14/2012 1:50:50 AM
member for the trees

..yes it's fascinating embracethevoid..
by the way..if you or anyone actually understands the cosmology abstract i quoted in post#8 please let me know!Smile
Quote:
We study the cosmological implications of including angular motion in the Dirac–Born–Infeld brane inflation scenario. The non-canonical kinetic terms of the Dirac–Born–Infeld action give an interesting alternative to slow-roll inflation, and cycling branes can drive periods of accelerated expansion in the Universe. We present explicit numerical solutions demonstrating brane inflation in the Klebanov–Strassler throat. We find that demanding sufficient inflation takes place in the throat is in conflict with keeping the brane's total energy low enough that local gravitational back-reaction on the Calabi–Yau manifold can be safely ignored. We deduce that spinflation (brane inflation with angular momentum) can ease this tension by providing extra e-foldings at the start of inflation. Cosmological expansion rapidly damps the angular momentum causing an exit to a more conventional brane inflation scenario. Finally, we set up a general framework for cosmological perturbation theory in this scenario, where we have multi-field non-standard kinetic term inflation.

embracethevoid
#20 Posted : 12/14/2012 3:01:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's difficult to translate from string theory into layman terms. I barely understand it, might as well be written in Chinese. Reason being that they use incredibly nuanced terms which only other string theorists use. Of course similar things happen in any extremely specialised field.

Here is what I understand:

Quote:
We study the cosmological implications of including angular motion in the Dirac–Born–Infeld brane inflation scenario.
This study is about imagining if sub-universes (branes) were rotating while the universe was inflating in the beginning.

The non-canonical kinetic terms of the Dirac–Born–Infeld action give an interesting alternative to slow-roll inflation, and cycling branes can drive periods of accelerated expansion in the Universe.
See meaning of "action" and they are referring to equation (2) stated here. Don't know the meaning of the equation but basically they are saying that mini universes banging and crunching repeatedly can result in the observed accelerated expansion of the universe as a whole. A brane = an observable universe sized volume of spacetime I am guessing; every thing has its own reference point and consequently its own brane. So for example a 46 billion light year radius sphere centred on your left hand is one brane, and another one of these spheres centred on your right hand is another brane. But there are loads of branes, one for each atom/particle of interest.

Notice that action and angular momentum have the same units! This is interesting because of something further down in the abstract. Slow roll inflation described here, basically to say that the universe appears to expand really fast because what's filling the space is slow relative to it, thereby giving the appearance of inflation.

We present explicit numerical solutions demonstrating brane inflation in the Klebanov–Strassler throat. We find that demanding sufficient inflation takes place in the throat is in conflict with keeping the brane's total energy low enough that local gravitational back-reaction on the Calabi–Yau manifold can be safely ignored.
I have no idea what the hell a "Klebanov Strassler throat" is but here is a picture of a 'throat' in string theory terms (page 379 of the book). I guess like a hyperdimensional funnel. It reminds me of the wacky funnel time slow down gravitational curvature around a black hole. Anyway they've totally lost me here but basically they're trying to cancel out/minimise the annoying side effects of the Calabi Yau's gravitational field on itself.

We deduce that spinflation (brane inflation with angular momentum) can ease this tension by providing extra e-foldings at the start of inflation. Cosmological expansion rapidly damps the angular momentum causing an exit to a more conventional brane inflation scenario.
So basically a metric fuckton of branes in the primordial universe are spinning like mad and as a result, the expansion over time is multiplied by a factor of e more times when we imagine these branes are spinning (to e-fold is to multiply by e=2.71... when we're talking about exponential expansion so basically one e-fold is e times larger than a non e-folded expansion).
This means that our Calabi-Yau's jerk off gravitational field isn't a problem because the spinning overpowers it. However the spinning causes our branes to rapidly lose rotational energy and the branes start to just inflate rather than 'spinflate' aka rotating inflation. So to have our branes pass through this 'Klebanov-Strassler throat' without the Calabi-Yau gravity field stopping us, we imagine they start off spinning so fast that they rush through the most dangerous part of the throat then they can cool down and merrily inflate like well behaved grown up branes, think "Helicopter Game" where you have to keep clicking to keep the chopper floating through a tight cavern

Finally, we set up a general framework for cosmological perturbation theory in this scenario, where we have multi-field non-standard kinetic term inflation.
No idea what the hell the last part is, but perturbation theory is basically a way to approximate things that would be extremely absurd to compute due to the sheer number of things you would have to add up. So instead they choose a maximum of n terms in the equation and make those n terms a damn good approximation. Like imagine you were balancing a ping pong ball on the tip of a needle, you give it little nudges left and right until it's balanced dead on, same thing but mathematically.

All in all, an absolute headfuck. I am not dead sure if this translation is very accurate but as long as they haven't taken standard language (e.g. e-folding) and used it to mean something totally specialised and obscure, then this should be a reasonable gist of it. Phew!

In fact now that I read my own little translation, I have imagined something similar: imagine at t=0 there was nothing (mass = 1 bit). Then at t=1 there were an infinite number of bubbles (branes), each having a common mass of 1 bit. Then each of these had a individuated mass of 1 bit each, thereby triggering the "big bang". Some of these branes immediately vaporised and got deleted, others expanded and grew in mass. Through a series of well timed vaporisations and expansions, we get the universe inflating and forming the present day existence. However my imagination was purely artistic & perhaps not reflective of anything real; it was in reference to a friend's really wacky idea of a discrete universe.

12NEXT