We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT
The TOP 8 ACACIAS to Grow WORLDWIDE Options

nen888
#41 Posted : 3/24/2013 1:19:34 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^..thanks Hieronymous..at least Jurema is grown in plantation (though the legal restriction pressure mounts)

A. neurophylla was announced by researcher JJ and published by S. Voogelbriender a few years ago..it seems quite fast growing and very hardy, as well as consistent..also, it tends to become quite bushy with many branches, hence producing more material per metre than a more upright tree..if you google there's perhaps 3-4 large seed company suppliers..

..the reason A. obtusifolia didn't make the list is due to how slow growing it is..the hybrid with A. maidenii is much faster..i would rate obtusifolia as one of the slowest growing acacias, which is why wild population damage is so upsetting..whereas i've gotten other species to 6-7ft in 3-4 years, i have grown obtusifolia which has taken twice that long (in identical conditions) ..btw, as mentioned in the acacia infothread, i personally divide obtusifolia into 4 distinct sub-types..the suggestion of maidenii x obtusifolia is for plant breeders to develop trees more suited to fast cultivation..

..last up, Acacia species 'C' (i assume you're referring to) would be a very good tree to grow, but is so rare there isn't even much seed stock available..needs to be planted more by conservation types to increase seed stock..

A. neurophylla subsp. neurophylla pictured below..
nen888 attached the following image(s):
A. neurophylla subsp. neurophylla.jpg (35kb) downloaded 675 time(s).
neurophylla.jpg (105kb) downloaded 678 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Hieronymous
#42 Posted : 3/25/2013 2:24:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks nen

I didn't think it would be cool to mention the "c" word, that was the one I was referring to.

Do you know if JJ & Voogelbrienders' work was in relation the species in general or did their research cover the sub species as well ?

I'm only getting 1 hit when I do a websearch on Voogelbriender and that's in relation to amala seeds.

It would be nice to know if the alks are in high concentrations in the phyllodes or mainly the bark too, I'll keep digging.

I found a US seller that has neurophylla and sub sp. neurophylla seed listed, it seems a bit strange to buy Australian seed from the US and import it back into Australia though. So I'll have to do a bit more digging there too. I'm sure I've seen it listed on an Aussie website in the past, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

nen888
#43 Posted : 3/25/2013 11:04:12 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

^..it's the species in general..the content is high (c1%) and also in phyllodes, but more betacarbolines in phyllodes..
there are aus seed suppliers (just not entheo orientated ones), but it's not unusual for australian native plants to be better collected elsewhere..i had to get native Passiflora species seed from Germany!

Jin
#44 Posted : 3/27/2013 8:58:37 PM

yes

nen888 wrote:
yes, 4 years should get to a degree of self sufficiency..once a tree has a few branches and is, say, more than 5ft tall it can start growing back phyllodes more easily..
and thanks also Seldom for the seedling pics..yes, nursery plants is a good way to start and get closer to a bigger tree more quickly..

is it possible to extract from one year old plants , i am just talking about few phyllodes from many plants

i have a few seeds of A. simplex and A. acuminata (Narrow leaf & small seed var. )

and i was thinking if i would be able to extract some of the phyllodes next year

edit: apologies for adding this unnecessarily , i did a bit more reading and realized i have to wait a few years
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

nen888
#45 Posted : 3/27/2013 10:05:53 PM
member for the trees

^..yes, it's possible to extract at 1-2 years..the 4 year thing was more about having a fair bit of material, but certainly if the plants are grown up fast (lots of water, light, nitrogen and love) then you could be extracting or using phyllodes within 18months..

Jin
#46 Posted : 3/29/2013 8:10:30 PM

yes

thanks nen, this is simply great , my plan is a few phyllodes from many trees ,

illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

nen888
#47 Posted : 5/1/2013 11:05:11 AM
member for the trees

..here's a lovely looking aussie hybrid of some kind blooming in Galicia, Spain..
nen888 attached the following image(s):
Acacia+Galicia,+Spain..jpg (108kb) downloaded 560 time(s).

acacian
#48 Posted : 5/3/2013 7:40:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

excited to be getting some acacia complanata, acacia caroleae and acacia longissima seeds next week... any tips on growing these fellas? .... nen? major tom? Pleased

jamie
#49 Posted : 5/3/2013 7:47:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I am seriously doubting that these acacias can be grown worldwide. Obtusifolia, floribunda, acuminata should in theory all do well where I am here..In reality this is just not ending up to be the case. I cant see acacias being a viable tryptamine source for those of us in northern hemispheres(even here where people grow figs and olive outside year round). My acuminata looks the best..1 year old and less than 3 inches tall, well maybe 3 inches..been that way for a long time..floribundas I got going indoors and they are pretty much looking dead now at like 2 inches tall outside ..obtusifolia is looking pretty bad. I have no idea what my confusas are doing but w/e it is it seems to have little to do with growing..maybe I just suck at growing acacias I dont know. I dont really want to put too much more effort into them though if they are going to just stop at 1-2 inches and either do nothing or just die. I cant even get desmanthus to take in my climate. Maybe the rainforest is too humid for them..

I just hope that my 1 acuminata that is a year old starts to grow a bit faster and survives. I started 2 other acuminatas a few months ago in a greenhosue and put them outside a few weeks ago and both are dead.

Oh well. My mimosa tree is still growing pretty well and has bark now..and grasses like it here.
Long live the unwoke.

nen888
#50 Posted : 5/3/2013 8:19:24 AM
member for the trees

..they can be slow in the first year, and definitely do better when planted in the ground, the looser/sandier the soil the faster..
anywhere the temperature doesn't go below minus-8C should be fine, and they are grown in much of southern europe..it's all about getting the right soil mix and plenty of light/water..
in theory Mimosa h should be less cold tolerant than most acacias..

jamie
#51 Posted : 5/3/2013 4:20:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

my mimosa is indoors..

My problem with the acacias is they dont seem to want to grow at all pretty much outside of my greenhouse where I had lights of them, a fan etc..they shoot up to about 2 inches in there really fast and then when I try to put them outside for spring so I can establish them outside they just stop doing anything, and some of them drop leaves and start to die. The acuminata is the only one that doesnt look like it is dying. Maybe some of them are burnt too..should they be in full shade?
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#52 Posted : 5/3/2013 4:25:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

maybe I should just stick them all in a greenhouse out back for another year or so..and start some more seedlings too..and forget about planting them out until they are 1-2 feet tall.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#53 Posted : 5/3/2013 4:25:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

double post.
Long live the unwoke.

nen888
#54 Posted : 5/4/2013 4:30:19 AM
member for the trees

jamie wrote:
maybe I should just stick them all in a greenhouse out back for another year or so..and start some more seedlings too..and forget about planting them out until they are 1-2 feet tall.

..that's a good idea..i would usually grow them to 2ft before planting..
also, while they like sandy loam soil, they also don't like the roots drying out at all (hence some peat or similar helps)
drying out even briefly can cause phyllode dieback
..nitrogen boosts growth too..

and, perhaps A. acuminata is the best suited to your climate jamie, floribunda more suiting southern europe..
your gathering data..Smile

jamie
#55 Posted : 5/12/2013 2:08:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I brought all my acacias up from the garden where they were in full sun, and put them on my patio where they are now in shade all day long, but still getting bright outdoor light..just no direct sun at all..

My acuminata already responded and started growing again and put out a new phyllode..so thats good. Im gunna start some more acuminatas cus they seem to be the toughest.

I guess these guys dont like full sun, at least when so young. My grasses are the same way..brachys and aquatica both hate full sun it seems..as soon as I put them in the shade they really perked up, got a healthier green color and put out some fatter leaf blades..especially the aquatica.

When I do put some acacias into the ground when they are larger, I guess I will have to use a shade cloth for at least a while to get them used to it.
Long live the unwoke.

nen888
#56 Posted : 8/16/2013 5:36:28 AM
member for the trees

..^wondering how your acacia younglings are going jamie..?

and a reminder to the many people interested in acacias, and who have a few metres of soil available, 2-3 years of attention to the plant in good conditions will grow a tree to a size where branches can be pruned and utilised..

below, photo captioned "Ethiopia -Terekegn from Konso Development Assocation (TREES partner) Stands Beside a 3-Year-Old Live Fence (Acacia Saligna) - May 2013" ..the alkaloid content of A. saligna has not been formally stuided, but it is related to known alkaloid species..

jamie
#57 Posted : 8/16/2013 6:47:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

here is my oldest acuminate..its about 15 months old now, growing outside on my patio. It's very slow but probly half the growth was over this summer. I know acuminate is a slow grower but nto sure if mine is too small for it's age?

jamie attached the following image(s):
DSC05241.JPG (2,286kb) downloaded 427 time(s).
DSC05242.JPG (2,487kb) downloaded 426 time(s).
Long live the unwoke.

Randomness
#58 Posted : 8/16/2013 4:58:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Acuminata - three and a half months old. UK Grown on a windowsill 40% cactus compost 40% potting compost and 20% garden soil (with clover root).

Planted as a direct result of this thread :-)
Randomness attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (1,987kb) downloaded 404 time(s).

Hieronymous
#59 Posted : 8/20/2013 5:23:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
here is my oldest acuminate..its about 15 months old now, growing outside on my patio. It's very slow but probly half the growth was over this summer. I know acuminate is a slow grower but nto sure if mine is too small for it's age?

That is a bit on the small side, but good things come in small packages Smile
It looks healthy enough though.

I've seen them grow like that when they are planted in summer or autumn and have to contend with a cold winter before they get very big and have a good root system. They still grow into good hardy trees though, possibly more hardy than a fast grown tree of the same species that could keel over and die at the first sign of cold weather.

The last batch of acuminata (broad phyllode) that I planted have grown like that too. I don't see it as a problem.

imPsimon
#60 Posted : 8/20/2013 10:57:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a little A. Simplex growing.
Currently it's tied down to see if it shoots out a new top shot.
I had another one before this one but it died from drought so I'm more careful
with watering this time.

imPsimon attached the following image(s):
Photo on 8-20-13 at 11.50 AM.jpg (101kb) downloaded 366 time(s).

PREV12345NEXT